Thursday

The Apparition of a Pleasant taste

 

 

After raining for so long yesterday, clouds got tired and Thursday became a sunny day. I carried three plastic tables and chairs outside next to the café and opened the side door. I went to check into the staff room for an umbrella and when I came with the heavy object outside, Kim Heechul was already sunbathing in one of the plastic chairs.

“Good morning!” I greeted cheerfully, all happy to see him so early in the morning.

“Hello, Hyukjae,” Heechul greeted me coolly. His black hair seemed longer when his head was reclined and sunrays were playing with the silk like material. He looked very handsome today too.

“You are early, Americano?” I asked with a smile, not caring at all that the café wasn´t open yet.

Heechul nodded and leisurely crossed his legs, even putting on sunglasses. I chuckled and went inside to prepare the coffee right away, I still had twenty minutes before opening the store and I wanted to use this time to chat with Kim Heechul. Quickly turning on the coffee machine and rushing to the kitchen to ask our baker about desserts.

“Tell me, Hyukjae,” Heechul´s eyes were closed beneath the sunglasses, “what kind of bonus you brought this time.”

“Japanese cheesecake cupcake was already done so I brought one,” I laughed and with a light cling I put the plate on the plastic table. “Weren´t you going for that day visit?”

“I am,” Heechul finally opened his eyes and politely put down his sunglasses. “But I didn´t know when I would return, it´s on the countryside, the café could be closed by the time I return.”

“Do you like our coffee that bad?” I asked and felt quite happy because that would mean, he would keep coming every day.

“I came because I made a mistake yesterday,” Heechul sipped from his coffee, “I made you worry before I left, and I guessed that you would feel nervous if I didn´t turn up after telling you I was going to a haunted house.”

“Wait, you came because of me?” I asked incredulously. Sitting down, or more like collapsing on a plastic chair too, I tried hard to not blush too much. “That´s really nice, Heechul,” I said, “I´m sure I would be nervous the whole day. Spilling coffee and such.”

“I don´t remember allowing you to call me Heechul,” the ghost investigator said so with an amused smile.

“I don´t remember you forbidding it either,” I returned because I took his remark as a joke.

“True,” Heechul laughed, “what did you say it was?” He pointed to the cutest cupcake we had.

“Japanese cheesecake is a one part soufflé and one part custard, it´s like an airy cake, really good,” I told him. I´ve always loved sweets and it didn´t get better with age, I still crave for desserts.

“Do you like Japan? I love it, you wouldn´t find anywhere in the world more urban legends and ghost stories than there is in Japan,” the ghost investigator grinned.

“I would believe that,” I chuckled. “They are quite extreme sometimes, right?”

“Yeah, that´s true,” Heechul nodded. “Like Aka Manto for example.”

“Aka Manto?” My interest was once again piqued, here comes the creepy part of the day.

“Red Cape,” Heechul translated, “it´s a ghost from the toilet, pretty boy with hidden face. He hid his face because he was asked out too many times.”

“You are joking,” I rolled my eyes.

“I´m not, he´s a scary thing,” the raven head leaned closer and looked at me with a straight face.

“Why?” I also turned serious, my single lidded eyes widening abruptly.

“He lurks around the last cubicle in the bathroom,” Heechul´s voice was damn y, “where he waits for his victims. When somebody comes, he asks: ´Red or blue paper?´”

“No way! You are joking!” I interrupted him and got a childish ´I am not´ as return. Heechul grabbed my white shirt and pulled me unnecessarily close to him. At first I reddened from embarrassment but then I shivered from fear. Heechul wasn´t going to hit me or anything but that aura of his. It was so dark, mysterious and uncomfortable. I wasn´t even able to breathe when he began talking in a deep voice.

“If you say red to the ghost, he will cut you into pieces until your clothes become red, until your soul decides to escape the torture to the other world,” Heechul let go of my shirt but I didn´t move away, I couldn´t. “If you say blue, the ghost will strangle you, drain you until you turn pale and your life evaporates from your body.”

“I-Is there any way to escape?” I asked quietly.

“You are always the same, Hyukjae,” Heechul´s quiet voice turned warmer and gentle expression decorated his handsome face. He leaned back into the plastic chair and allowed me to breathe finally. “There are two ways to escape. Either you say ´no paper´ and the ghost disappear or you say ´yellow paper´, that way he will just push your head down the toilet but let you live.”

“That´s disgusting,” I grimaced.

“That´s Japan for you,” Heechul was very pleased by his own theatrical performance. I couldn´t shake off the feeling that I just went through some out of this world experience. But it was just a story, an urban legend, I shouldn´t feel scared.

“Whenever you speak about ghosts, I get shivers down my spine,” I told him honestly.

“Do you hate it?” The ghost hunter asked me back, making me unable to read his face as it was completely blank.

“No, I can´t seem to hate anything about you,” I said without thinking and covered my mouth right away, what a tongue slip. “Anyway you are leaving for the countryside soon, right?"

“Yeah,” Heechul laughed heartily but didn´t dig too much into it and let me live. “I´m just going to make a pit-stop at the toilet,” he said while standing up, “you eat the cheesecake, I don´t have time anymore.”

“Alright,” I sighed and shook my head at my own clumsiness. I told myself to stop hitting on him but it was hard. I liked Heechul, he was fine.

When the handsome man left, I spooned the soft dessert and let it roll on my tongue. With so much sugar I would have enough energy to last the whole morning. I would need it today. Usually I´m all giddy and alert, because I have to keep my eyes on the entrance in case I saw my favourite ghost hunter coming. But today I already know he won´t come anymore. I finished the cupcake.

“I´m back, Hyukjae!” Heechul greeted while waving his hands, extrovert. “Have a nice day and tomorrow!” He told me and picked up his bag and sunglasses.

“Take care,” I told him awkwardly. It felt so nice that it was almost troublesome for my feelings.

“Oh,” the tall man stopped midway to his car, “and don´t go to the toilet! It´s haunted!”

I laughed. This time he won´t get me! Scaring me with a ghost story to make me unable to go to the toilet the whole day, as if I´m falling for that! And so I went to the bathroom. And it was haunted. I had to open the window.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hellol! Another unchecked update, sorry for that guys. I promise to correct the mistakes later, really! :3 I hope you like it and have a nice day! - PandaHero