Two Dudes and a Baby

Two Dudes and a Baby

It was a normal Saturday morning, best friends and roommates Jeon Wonwoo and Kim Mingyu were preparing for their usual Saturday night movie marathon.

The two were at their local supermarket getting the essentials, popcorn,cola,(hamburgers) when something caught Mingyu's eye. A stroller was left in the middle of an aisle with no one in sight who looked like its owner. Mingyu wandered away from Wonwoo towards the stroller and peeked inside. He met the gaze of a precious little girl.

"Wonwoo come look!" He beckoned his pal to come look at the little angel "Isn't she cute?" Wonwoo did as he asked and a smile formed on his face as the baby gurgled happily. Mingyu gasped "You don't think someone left her here?"

Wonwoo assured him. "No it couldn't be, they probably just wandered off and forgot. Mingyu took the stroller and Wonwoo followed suit as he proceeded to ask every customer in the store if the baby was theirs but no one recognised the child.

"Who would abandon a baby in a supermarket? Don't people have hearts?" Mingyu aksed angrily.

"We should probably tell a manager." Wonwoo suggested.

The two walked to the checkout and asked for the manager. A man came out and told them that an hour earlier he had seen a young woman walk in with the stroller but she seemed out of sorts and slightly woozy. The woman was long gone but she had forgotten the stroller and the baby. The manager decided it would be best if the duo took the child home with them and leave their phone numbers and address in case the woman came back. Mingyu happily agreed to doing so.

After all how hard could taking care of a baby really be?

The two left with shopping bags and stroller in hand heading home when an idea popped into Mingyu's head.

"The baby has been indoors for so long why don't we take her to the park?"

"Mingyu we can't just take someone else's baby to the park." Wonwoo tried to reason with him."What if they come to our house and we're not there?"

It was no use though, Mingyu insisted and Wonwoo gave in defeatedly and the two were sat on a bench in front of a duck pond at their local park. Mingyu proceeded to take the baby out of the stroller and sit her in his lap.

"What are you doing?" Wonwoo questioned him.

"She's been in that stroller for a while  she needs to stretch her legs. And she can look at all the swimming duckies." As Mingyu finished talking the little girl begins to bawl. "What's wrong with her? Why is she crying?" Mingyu panics bouncing the infant up and down in an attempt to silence her wails.

"She's probably hungry give her here." Wonwoo instructs. Mingyu hands the baby over warily after Wonwoo finds a bottle of milk in the baby bag under the stroller. Wonwoo's theory was right as the baby quickly grabs onto the teet with and hungrily.

Suddenly an old woman approaches the two.

"I'd just like to say to you two that even though there may not be a lot of people who support your love, I think it's honestly so beautiful how you two can raise a child as a couple." 

Wonwoo blushes still cradling the baby.

"Oh no no we're not a couple! This isn't our baby we're just looking after her!" Mingyu corrects the old woman flustered by her words.

"Oh! Well I'm sure you two boys will make fine fathers one day." She walks away chuckling at how she misread the situation.

Mingyu sighs as Wonwoo burps the baby, his cheeks still hot and red.

"I guess we really do look like a couple."

"Shut up Mingyu."

"Can I hold her again?" Mingyu asks overflowing with excitement.

"Fine. Just don't bo-" But it's too late. Mingyu starts instinctively bouncing the baby up and down again on his lap and she spews all over the front of Mingyu's top and a little bit of his face. Wonwoo's hand meets his face.

"She just ate man what are you doing? Don't you know anything about babies?" Wonwoo brings out a pack of wipes from the baby bag and sits them on the bench taking the baby from Mingyu again. Wonwoo cleans up the child while Mingyu takes care of himself.

"It's time to go home." Wonwoo orders. He puts the baby back in the stroller and Mingyu picks up the bags. Now Mingyu trails behind Wonwoo, a wet patch from where the baby was sick on him visible on his shirt.

 

The two arrive home and Wonwoo takes the baby and baby bag inside leaving the stroller in the hallway as Mingyu goes to change. Mingyu comes back to find them both on the floor playing.

"Look Mingyu she can crawl!" Wonwoo proclaims proudly as the baby drags herself across the floor towards some teething keys which she takes into gurgling happily.

Mingyu drops onto the floor with them sadly. "Why doesn't she like me?" He asks the other boy. "Every time I hold her something bad happens."

"That's not true, you just have to handle her well. Let me show you." Wonwoo picks the baby up from the floor and places her in Mingyu's hands. The baby smiles at Mingyu and he smiles back. 

"See? Bad things don't happen when you hold the baby."

Just as Wonwoo utters those few words a foul stench entered the air.

"You can take her back her back now."

"Oh no you don't. I fed her and cleaned her up after your little incident, you're taking this one boy."

"I don't know how to change a nappy! You're the baby expert you do it!"

The two settle on Rock Paper Scissors to decide who has to do the task. Mingyu drops his head in defeat as Wonwoo puts paper on his rock.

Mingyu takes a deep breath."Ok. Let's do this." Wonwoo brings out a nappy, baby powder and wipes from the bag and Mingyu comes back equipped with rubber gloves, a face mask and a roll of paper towels.

They both turn their coffee table into a changing station and Mingyu gets to work.

"Did I do this one right?" He confirms with his companion.

"Well I'm pretty sure it's on backwards but compared to the last 3 attempts it's the best one."

"Good enough."

Mingyu cleans up the horrific aftermath of the mess while Wonwoo takes the baby again.

Mingyu gets sad again "This wouldn't have happened if you didn't give her to me." 

Wonwoo comforts his friend. "That's not true, babies have to go, it's just a coincidence she had to go when you held her.

Mingyu doesn't seem convinced by his words.

"Ok get on the couch." Wonwoo orders.

"What?"

"Just do it."

Mingyu does as he instructs and lies down on the couch. Wonwoo places the baby on his chest and Mingyu wraps his arms around the child.

"Now sing." 

Mingyu sings a soft lullaby and the baby gurgles happily. She slobbers on his face in what seems to be an attempt of a kiss.

"See she does like you!" Wonwoo proclaims.

"I guess she does." Mingyu looks down on the child happily and sings again. Eventually the baby girl is lulled into sleep by Mingyu's soothing voice.

Mingyu still sings with the baby in his grasp and Wonwoo watches lying down on the floor.

Wonwoo speaks up. "That old lady was right. You're going to be a good dad some day."

Mingyu smiles at the comment "You'll be a good dad too."

 

Everyone is asleep until an anxious knock comes on the door. Wonwoo jumps onto his feet and opens the door to be met by a woman who starts speaking frantically.

"Oh hello um I was told you two had found my b- NARI!" She shouts relieved as Mingyu walks to the doorway baby in hand. She carefully takes the sleeping baby from him and tears form in her eyes.

"Oh thank you thank you so very much!. My husband left her with his idiot niece while we were both away for work and she turned up at our doorstep the next morning stingingly drunk and without my little Nari." By now she is sobbing holding the baby close. "Oh thank you. There must be some way I can reward you." She starts fiddling in her handbag for some money.

Mingyu retorts "Oh no no that's not necessary we just did what anyone else would!" But the woman is insistent and hands him the money.

"It's the least I can do after you took care of my baby." And Mingyu reluctantly accepts the reward.

By now Nari is awake and smiles happy to be back in her mother's arms. She then holds her arms out in Wonwoo and Mingyu's direction whimpering.

"She seems to really like you two. She usually doesn't get along well with strangers." Nari's mother comments.

"I am looking for a new babysitter, I'll pay whatever you want it's impossible to find people she's this happy with. Would you be up for it?"

Wonwoo and Mingyu looked to each other and then the baby and her mother. The answer was obvious.

"Of course."