Soonseok (fluff)

Somewhat Unsettled [Drabbles]

A/N: Sort of fantasy!AU and university!AU where everyone is descended from classical fictional characters and/or creatures.

Words:

Pairing/Genre: Soonseok with side!Verkwan (fluff/romance)

Rating: PG

Prompt: DK's nose grows everytime he lies and Hoshi is silly with a screwdriver.

~~~

"So," his bubblegum popped obnoxiously, "what did you say your name was?"

The upperclassman leisurely clasped his heads behind his head, completely disregarding the annoyed glare Jeonghan shot them. Meanwhile, Seokmin physically shirked away from the prop manager's squinting eyes.

"I'm Lee Seokmin."

"Grade?"

"Sophomore."

The elder yawned so widely Seokmin thought his jaw might pop out. "Ah, you're still a kid, I'm Kwon Soonyoung, junior. My major's - "

"Japanese, right? I think you're in the same lecture as Jihoon-hyung."

Soonyoung gave him a brief look of curiosity before nodding. "Yeah...you know Jihoon?"

"Well, we're cousins on our dads' sides."

"So, you're a Pinocchio, too?" there was a twinge of disbelief in his words as Soonyoung raised a pointed eyebrow at Seokmin's unorthodox appearance. He wasn't particularly tall, but he was definitely not the petite build that the rest of his species was. Not to mention the fact that Seokmin lacked the characteristic chubby cheeks and somewhat lifeless pallor. Still, Soonyoung noted, there was a certain mischievous light in the kid's eyes that confirmed his question.

"I'm half-siren," and that was pretty much all the explanation necessary, "while Jihoon-hyung's 100% Pinocchio. Hence the height difference."

By now, both of them had all but dropped their work and Seokmin could spy an irate Jeonghan wrinkling his nose at them. He quickly plastered a glob of red paint onto the scenery they were working on, but it was too late as the prop manager smacked the back of Soonyoung's head with a rolled-up script. The junior almost fell out of his chair, just barely catching his balance.

"Stop bothering Seokmin and get to work, idiot." Even annoyed, Jeonghan looked pretty much as perfect as (in)humanly possible. GAH.

The said-sophomore stifled a laugh at Soonyoung's offended expression. Holding a hand to his heart with his mouth slightly agape in a small "o", he huffed at the angel's words.

"I wholeheartedly recognize being an idiot, but I do believe you're gone too far, good sir! Why, I was simply enriching young Seokmin's life with some - "

"I'm going to get Seungcheol to set your on fire again."

One look at the seemingly-harmless director immediately shut Soonyoung up as he gave Jeonghan a nervous nod.

"Good, now help Mingyu finish the bridge. And no fooling off until it's done!"

Soonyoung grumbled a bit in response, but lifted himself up regardless.

"Ah, sophomore!" he grinned widely as he halted to scribble something onto Seokmin's arm, "this is my number - call me any time if you want to be bothered." He stuck his tongue out at the last part. The younger could only gape as he began to disappear into the crowd of frantically running staff and Jeonghan heaved a sigh.

"Damn fairy."

~~~

Okay, to be honest, Seokmin didn't know his name because of Jihoon - not really anyways. It was sort of hard not to notice Soonyoung when everyone on campus knew him. And by that, he means everyone. There wasn't a club he wasn't in and there was no professor he hadn't pissed off one point or another. It was sort of a given that you knew who "accidentally" spilled pixie dust all over the freshman football team last season.

Personally, Seokmin knew him from the annual hip-hop club showcase. He wasn't interested in anything like that, being a classic rock fan, but his roommate had dragged him to it with claims of 'you need to get out more' and 'there's free pizza, promise'.

As it turned out, there was no free pizza, but Seokmin got a good show and the chance to witness Soonyoung actually incorporating his fairy abilities in his dancing. Considering the fact that Seokmin was never one to fully embrace being a Pinocchio as a part of his own identity, it was eye-opening to see someone else completely in tune with their "true nature".

And then he ended up seeing more of Soonyoung. He found out that Jihoon took classes with him; they went to the same cafes; heck, they even had similar friend groups. But despite all this, he never actually got around to actually meeting Soonyoung - they just skirted around each other in similar environments. Helping out with the theatre production was the turning point in their slightly awkward relationship.

"So," Seungkwan typed furiously into his laptop as he rushed to finish his monster of a lab report, "are you going to text him?"

Seokmin shot him a confused look.

"You know, the cute junior you talked to a couple days ago?"

"Snnygggg?" His roommate made a face at him as a little bit of toothpaste foam dribbled down his chin. Seokmin took a minute to spit, gargle, and repeat before trying again. "Sorry, I meant - Soonyoung?"

"Yeah, aren't you gonna? I mean," he wasn't even looking at the computer screen anymore, "you've been eyeing him for a while, haven't you? Here's your chance! He knows you exist now!"

Seokmin rolled his eyes at his friend as he threw himself onto his bed. "Geez, I said he was cool, like once. It's not like I've been drooling after him or anything. I don't really want to text him."

Seungkwan didn't even have to retort because the Pinocchio's nose began to stretch an embarrassing inch in response to his blatant lie. The Queen of Hearts broke out into a gleeful chortle as a hot blush crawled up Seokmin's neck.

"Sureee, that's obviously true. Tell me you're secretly Captain America and you're here to save us from our Soviet overlords, why don't you?"

"First off, that might have been an exaggeration. Second, you've been reading way too many comic books lately."

"Shut up - Steve Rogers is my bae!" Unfortunately, the pillow that Seungkwan chucked ended up missing as it gracefully planted itself at the feet of one Choi Hansol, who raised an amused eyebrow at his boyfriend. The dorm room door clicked shut behind him.

"I'm not sure if I can compete with a super-soldier," he grinned, "but maybe some chicken will sway the odds?"

"Of course, always, anytime," Seokmin sang as he snatched the offering from his friend, "I deem you worthy of the great Boo Seungkwan."

His roomate stucking his tongue out at him as he crawled into Hansol's ready lap, but he didn't make too much of a complaint.

"Consider the food as payment for your leaving the room tonight," Seungkwan hummed, wiggling his eyebrows jokingly, "unless you want to stay, but I don't really suggest that emotional trauma."

Seokmin crossed his arms in an X with a laugh. "Oh no, I'm out of here."

"But you better fix that first," Hansol gestured to his own nose.

"Fine," rubbing the back of his neck bashfully, the Pinocchio muttered unwillingly, "I think Kwon Soonyoung is very attractive and would like to text him."

"And?"

He glared at his increasingly gleeful roommate.

"And I've been drooling after him. Happy?" As if on cue, his nose shrank back to it's normalish size, but his face didn't calm down from the furious red flush it was sporting. Glorious.

"Ecstatic," Seungkwan practically cackled, "now leave."

"I'm going, I'm going! Just make sure Hansol doesn't burn anything this time: the wall still has singe marks from the last time he was over."

The dragon winked mischievously.

"No promises."

~~~

"Thanks for helping me out with this, by the way," Soonyoung's wings fluttered weakly as he trudged his way to the storage room, "Mingyu's out sick and Jun's busy fixing the furniture props. Stupid Jeonghan won't give us an extension."

That could have been because the three of them had spent the last month on a quest to find the best hiding place from Jeonghan instead of, you know, actually working - but Seokmin didn't say anything. Still, tired Soonyoung was sort of endearing.

"No problem. What exactly do we need to finish?"

There were piles upon piles of unused props and wooden planks lying around. Seokmin was pretty sure he saw something scuttle away in the dark recesses of the ancient warehouse and he cringed internally. God help his poor soul.

"So, we need to finish building the spiral staircase we're going to use in the third scene and then assemble the bed that's going to get hooked up to the flying wires. That's basically it, really." Soonyoung carefully omitted the fact that it was probably going to take them around eight hours for more than one reason. He spied Seokmin from the corner of his eye. At least he wouldn't be bored.

"Alright," the Pinocchio easily hoisted a metal step onto his shoulder, "let's get started."

About three hours in, Soonyoung's effort finally wore thin as he let out an anguished groan, throwing himself to the ground. His shirt was damp with sweat and his hoodie had been abandoned somewhere over there.

"WE'RE TAKING A BREAK," he practically wheezed.

Meanwhile, Seokmin barely looked distressed, despite having done most of the work. He had a thin mist over his forehead, but was otherwise fine. He chuckled slightly at the upperclassman before gliding down the nearly-finished staircase.

"C'mon, there's only a little bit left: we can take a break when it's done, right?"

"Nope, nope, nooope. We're taking a 20 minute break now before I break in half." The fairy had managed to pull himself off to this awkward sort-of squatting position and Seokmin felt tempted to just let the guy rest on him. Soonyoung was obviously disturbed by the centuries of who-knows-what piled on the floor as he gave up and pulled himself onto his feet.

"Fine, we can do that. Why don't you come sit down on the steps? It's probably a lot more sanitary than sitting down on the bones of the fallen," Seokmin squinted at one of the railings, "I'm just going to fix that one, alright?"

He climbed up to the top to lean over the ledge, a hand steadying himself as he worked. Unbeknowest to him, Soonyoung gave him a quick once-over, a smirk pulling at the ends of his lips. It was sort of cute how Seokmin lost himself in anything he did.

"Do you need any help?"

"Yeah, could you pass me that screwdriver?"

"Sure," the elder handed the tool over, "you know, we should go for coffee sometime."

"Wha - !" Slipping from his perch on the top step, Seokmin tumbled down to faceplant straight into Soonyoung lap.

"Well, you move fast," the upperclassman chortled, practically keeling over in laughter, "not that I mind or anything."

God, could he get any more embarrassing? Honestly, all Seokmin wanted to do right now was to dig a hole for himself 6 feet deep, but he was a little lost in the cute way the other's eyes were disappearing behind his cheekbones.

"Shut up, it's not like I wanted to fall into your crotch."

Damn - DAMN IT. There it goes, Seokmin's of a nose, growing a good two inches as Soonyoung's giggling grew even louder. He felt like his head was going to explode.

"W-What I mean is, that was 100% an accident and I did not enjoy tumbling into you." Okay, he was going to shut up now because this goddamn pinocchio thing REALLY wasn't helping his situation, considering his nose just kept growing.

He seriously contemplated just choking to death on his own shame when Soonyoung finally stopped wheezing. The blond fairy tapped his nose (which had elongated to about 6 inches farther than normal) and gave him this impish grin.

"I like you - you're pretty funny," there was a mischievous twinkle in his eyes as his wings fluttered slightly behind them, "I think we'll have to go for something a little more permanent than a coffee date."

Seokmin wants to say he had a quirky comeback to that, but in actuality, he just stared blankly at the space the elder hopped off from. He's lucky his mouth wasn't open.

"I'm going to get us some water bottles; I'll be back in five."

About two minutes later, finally snapping out of his shock, Seokmin managed to shrink his nose back down and contemplate all of his life decisions. Okay, he needed to finish, take a shower, and cry a little - OH MY GOD, WHY WAS HE STILL HOLDING THE SCREWDRIVER OF ALL EVILS?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~

WOW I WANT TO DIE FROM ALL THIS GODDAMN FLUFF I FEEL YOU SO HARD SEOKMIN KILL ME NOW.

Also, these are Seventeen's "species" -->

S.Coups: Pheonix / Jeonghan: Angel / Joshua: Unicorn / Jun: Jack Frost / Hoshi: Fairy / Wonwoo: Maleficient / Woozi: Pinocchio / DK: Pinocchio / Mingyu: Sleeping Beauty / The8: Triton / Seungkwan: Queen of Hearts / Vernon: Dragon / Dino: Jack the Giant Killer