Final

DESTINY (나의 지구)

Tapping the desk with a pen on hand, Mijoo shifts her gaze from the teacher in front to the clock on the wall, waiting for the final bell to ring. Having History as their last subject surely bores the heck out of her as the teacher talks about important dates that her mind can’t even digest.

 

One minute. Mijoo thought as she clutches on her bag under her table, ready to run away from the room.
“Okay, that’s it for the day class. You may now go home except for Miss Lee Mijoo.” Her teacher announced as she eyed her. She slumps back on her chair and groaned as she heard snickers around her. It was her turn to clean up the classroom and she totally forgot about it. So much for being excited.

 

“Make sure that the class is squeaky clean.” Her teacher ordered, smiling before leaving her alone in the deserted classroom. Great. She thought as she started cleaning the room.

 

“Mijoo noonaaaaaa!” Mijoo jumped on her place as she heard the loud slamming of the door. She quickly turned around, scrunching up her nose at the kid who just ruined her quiet time.

“Don’t you at least know how to knock?” She screamed before turning her back at the latter. Mijoo heard him whisper sorry and laugh right after making the girl sigh. “What do you need this time, Kim Mingyu?” She asked as she continues wiping the board clean.

 

“I asked Nayeon out again.”

Mijoo almost dropped the eraser and choked on her saliva as she heard the lad. Her heart felt like being stabbed millions of times. She’s been liking the guy for years now, and hearing him excitedly saying that he asked the same girl again who keeps on rejecting him felt like tiny needles pricking on her heart.

Why not me? She thought as she clutches on the eraser on her hand.

She quickly gained her composure back before turning to Mingyu with a large smile on her face. Mijoo punched the latter’s chest and let out a soft laugh.

“So she finally agreed huh? You wouldn’t be this excited if she didn’t.” She looks up at the tall guy in front of her and flashed another smile. “Do well.” She whispered before passing the eraser to Mingyu, taking her bag, and walking out of the room, leaving Mingyu to clean.


 

Do you dream of her tonight?
When I shine on you?

 

At that same night, Mijoo cried herself to sleep. She did try consoling her friends, especially Sujeong, who she thinks is the most intelligent of the group, only to get a major scolding from the younger. The girl has a point though. She’s been chasing the same – clueless – guy for God knows how long, and she won’t even confess. The guy is stupid as and she won’t even make a move. It frustrates her friends… his friends too. She did thought about confessing a million times but she’s too scared on losing him that she chickens away. It is a good thing that it’s weekend the next day or else, she’ll have to deal with her friends pitying her and Mingyu asking her what the hell happened.

 

The week ended quicker than expected, with Mijoo trying to distract herself to not think of Mingyu and his date with his crush. She put on a wide smile as she enters her classroom with ease, talking to people and being loud as usual, she almost forgot the fact that Mingyu went on a date. Not until a friend of theirs snatched Mijoo from her classmates to an empty classroom.

 

Mijoo looked at Wonwoo and Sujeong with confused eyes, as their two most trusted people stare at her.

“Have you talked to Mingyu over the weekend?” Wonwoo asked before the girl can even open . She scrunched up her face remembering the date and shook her head.

“Why would he even talk to me when he’s too busy with his date?”  Sujeong looked at her shocked with her answer before nudging the guy beside him.
“Does that mean you didn’t know Mingyu got stood up?” Mijoo’s heart dropped when she heard Wonwoo’s question. She turned to Sujeong, her face asking if it’s true or not and Sujeong just gave her a concerned nod.

 

If there is something that Mijoo hates, it’s her friends getting hurt. She hates how she can’t do anything for them when they get hurt, because one thing’s for sure, she’s clueless. She never experienced being hurt aside from Mingyu unconsciously hurting her every day for years. She doesn’t mind thought; she knows that it’s her fault for being a coward.

 

Mijoo quickly made her way to Mingyu’s house after getting the information that Mingyu didn’t show up in class. She didn’t care about the skipping classes; it’s just for a day anyway. She then arrived at Mingyu’s house faster than expected. Knocking at the guy’s house and not getting an answer, she decided to welcome herself inside since she knows his parents just went out to work.

 

Barging inside Mingyu’s room without saying anything, she heard the guy groan and asked her to leave him alone, only getting a smack on the head from Mijoo.

“What the hell?” Mingyu rubbed the back of his head because of the impact before turning and frowning as he sees Mijoo. He quickly turned his back on her and covered himself with the blanket.

“So you’ve heard?” He asked. Mijoo honestly want to smack the daylights out of the younger but tried her best to calm down. She took a seat on the chair beside his bed and examined the latter.

“You stink.” Mijoo said trying to lift up the mood.

“If you’re going to lecture me about not taking a bath, then you may go out.” Mijoo felt her heart sinking after hearing the guy’s voice, cold. She never intended to make fun of him, she even skipped class for him, and he clearly doesn’t see the efforts she’s trying to make.

 

Mijoo chewed on her lower lip before opening again only to close it when Mingyu sighed and slid the blanket off of him.

“Am I not good enough noona? Am I unattractive? Am I really that kind of guy that girl can easily throw off like trash?” Mingyu turned to look at Mijoo, eyes puffed, b with tears.

“No, Mingyu. You’re a package already, don’t think like that.” She clutched on the hem of the skirt she’s wearing as she tried to calm herself down. Does he really like her? Or is it love already? She felt a pang on her heart as she thought of the latter.

“Then why?” The younger asked again, staring straight at the girl’s eyes, asking for an answer. Mijoo doesn’t really know how to answer. This is why she hates it when her friends get hurt, she doesn’t know how to lift up the pain they’re feeling.


For once, if I could stand between you and her
To hand you the ring of light
For once, just once
If I could block her from you
And fly through your day

 

“Do you love her that much?” Mijoo asked as she watches the back of the sleeping Mingyu. He cried his pain away until he fell asleep. Mijoo reached out to his hair and smiled painfully at the sleeping figure.

“I guess you do and guess what?” She sighed before letting out a broken sigh. She took her hand back and rested it on her lap. “I’ve always loved you. It’s been years since I started liking – well – loving you, I just can’t seem to find the right time to say it. Face to face. This still counts right even though you’re sleeping?” Mijoo sniffed and chuckled before standing up, not forgetting to pat the guy lightly on his arm. “I’ll get going now hm? I hope you’d recover fast. We’ll always be here for you, Mingyu –ya.”

And with that, Mijoo left Mingyu’s house, not forgetting to leave the guy some food and medicine.

 

Mijoo arrived at school the next day, feeling all burden free but still concern is shown all over her face when she saw Mingyu arriving. She waited for the guy to took notice of her so she can greet him but he walked pass her. Mijoo chewed on her bottom lip before heading to her class, thinking that the latter is still having her emo phase after getting stood up.


It’s been months since a certain incident happened that got his heart thumping crazy whenever he sees a certain girl. He never really imagined him liking her. He’d always think it’s just a small crush, until it went on for a month, two, three, reaching four. They said if you like someone for more than three months, you’re doomed and for him, he’s more than doomed, he’s dead.