Piano Girl

Piano Girl

Moonbyul stared at the note card in front of her. She wanted to slide it off the edge of her desk and ask her professor for a new one but knew he would end up giving her the same one. She picked up the white index card and read the single word printed in large black letters.

Ballad.

She sighed and slipped it in her bag before turning back to her professor who had begun to give the instructions for the final project of the semester. 

"Now this semester we were fortunate enough to be able to work with the music department. Some of you were chosen to choreograph some of their songs at this years music festival and some of your dances were even chosen for competition. At first, I know those of you who participated in these events found it difficult to adjust your dancing styles to their genre of music but I know all of you found it beneficial to try something new in order to challenge yourselves. That being said, your final project is exactly that. You all have been paired up randomly with a student from the music department, specifically composers." 

Moonbyul felt her stomach churn as her professor continued to talk, not knowing how to feel about depending on another person for her final grade. 

"You and your partner will compose and choreograph a piece relating to the genre on your note cards. Now although the composers have chosen a genre you might not feel is suited for you, let me remind you that the purpose of this assignment is to challenge your dancing skills and learn to adjust. They will be graded equally based on how much they're willing to adjust to your abilities. Communication is key in this assignment, both parties must be open to suggestions and criticism if you're going to make your piece great." The older man smiled hopefully and took his bag in his hands as he made his way around the podium. 

"In a moment they're going to head over here so you can all meet and take some time to exchange numbers or tweets or whatever you kids do to communicate, so begin making a plan as soon as possible. I wish you all the best of luck and remember to keep an open mind and try to not kill each other." As her professor exited the room, the class erupted in conversation with a mix of excitement and already formed complaints. 

After a few minutes passed, the classroom door opened and students began filing in in large masses  at the front of the class; students were hooting and hollering as they saw their friends and found their partners. 

Moonbyul swung her bag over her shoulder and stood once the classroom became more crowded. She moved to stand near the door and began scanning every student with her eyes in an attempt to catch a glimpse of someones card or overhear the same genre as hers. 

"What did you get?" a high pitched voice asked.

Moonbyul turned her head and saw a girl sitting on top of one of the tables pushed against the wall. She was small with long brown hair and dressed similar to Moonbyul herself. She wore a powder blue button down shirt that was tucked in at the front of her jeans. She dangled her legs over the edge and was swinging her feet back and forth like a child when Moonbyul noticed she wore black oxfords similar to her own.

"I'm Solar by the way" she smiled lazily as she reached for herl bag where she began shuffling things around.  

"Oh, Moonbyul and I got ballads." Moonbyul answered confused and full of distate as she thought back on the task at hand, her most unwanted genre. 

"You don't like ballads?" Solar asked, curiosity in her voice as she continued to dig in her bag. 

"I tolerate them but I don't really like making up choreo to them. They're so soft and boring and you can't really do anything with them that will make a crowd gasp and cheer like you would with hip-hop or pop music. I mean I don't understand who could possibly make up a good dance to a ballad?" Moonbyul ranted as she continued to search the sea of students, hoping to find some soft art kid wannabe who would fit the the type of student's who enjoyed ballads. 

"Well then I guess we're gonna have our hands full." Solar suddenly spoke up, handing Moonbyul a white index card before heading out the double doors that lead out of the lecture room. 

Confused, Moonbyul looked down and read the single word on the card, feeling her heart drop as she read. 

Ballad

She felt her face heat up and her lip quiver in embarrassment as she hurried after Solar who was standing outside fixing her hair. 

"Sorry I didn't-"

"It's fine." Solar interjected folding her arms in front of her chest, "I know it can be challenging for some to capture the beauty that comes in a ballad by simply flailing their arms and legs around and calling it dancing. So what I'll do to help you is try to make the melody as easy as I can without it sounding like it was meant for a fourth grader and you just have to dance against the beat. We can tweak it once we get that far. I'm free tomorrow at noon so I'll meet you in dance room three." Solar then her heal and began walking away. 

"My phone number's on the back of the index card if you need to contact me for whatever reason." she called back, she dissapeared around the corner.

Moonbyul stood there, red-faced and a little offended as she held the others index card in her hands. 

"Meant for a fourth grade my ." she scoffed and headed up to the third floor to begin preparing for whatever she might face tomorrow. Whether it was having to endure her pretentious partner or her intense unliking of ballads, this was going to be a long month for her. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moonbyul was out of breath by the time she made it to the dance room she normally worked in. She tooked a deep breath and entered, only to find it empty.

She sighed, dropping her bag near the door where she moved to sit on the ground. As she leaned on the wall adjacent to the mirrors that extending from floor to cieling, she pulled out her phone and scrolled down to Solar's name.

I'm in room room 3...where are you? -M

Srry something came up. Theres an ipod near the speaker system that has the piece I worked on last night, it's not mine so please don't lose it. It's just some guitar for now but it has the full melody that you'll be doing so do what u can with it and try not to waste time. I'll see u next Tuesday, same place at 7:30 p.m. 

"Unbelievable" Moonbyul huffed under breath. She stood and walked over to the stereo system in the corner of the room where sure enough, a pink ipod was wrapped in headphones. Moonbyul took it, unwinding the headphones and sticking them in her ears. She scrolled down to the song titled 'Final' and pressed play, letting the the sound of a guitar drown out the outside noise. 

Soft guitar chords filled her ears making Moonbyul groan at how sirene and continuous they were, repeating each note that was only distinguished by different chords of the same soft tempo.

"Alright that's enough for right now." Moonbyul cried as she scrolled through the few songs on the iPod. 

"Let's see if the owner has decent taste in music." she selected a song titled 'M1' and closed her eyes.

The strumming started out quiet and light but held an upbeat tempo and then continued to grow between rifts of higher chords that pulled into one another as they clashed against the note before. The tone was boisterous yet held some sorrow when the notes would get quiet during the chorus. Moonbyul felt the power behind each note as she began gliding across the wooden floor of the dance room; extending her arms and contracting her midsection on each low note and tipping over on her toes during each high ones.

After a few hours Moonbyul had managed to choreograph all 15 songs on the iPod that included upbeat guitar riffs and even some piano sounds. But when the music department advisor came to let her know they were closing up around 2 a.m., Moonbyul realized she had worked on every song on the device except the song Solar had intended her to work on. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was only 7:03 and Moonbyul was already sweaty from running through her dance a couple of times before Solar showed up. Moonbyul stared at her as she walked in wearing something that looked like it belonged to a French doll; with her black beret hat, red skater skirt and cream colored knee socks paired with brown oxfords on her feet. 

"First she doesn't show up and then she shows up looking like she was on her way to eat those French bread things." Moonbyul mumbled under her breath before taking a swig of water from her bottle. 

"What?" Solar asked, shrugging off her coat and bag before sitting down on the ground in the middle of the room. 

"Nothing, are you ready?" Moonbyul sighed. 

"Sure, show me what you've got so far." Solar said not bothering to look up from her phone. 

After a few minutes of silence dragged on, Solar finally looked up to find Moonbyul's hand in close proximity to her face.

"What?" she asked warily.

Moonbyul had slipped off her sweat pants and coat and was now wearing tight black yoga leggings with a matching shirt that slightly revealed her smooth stomach. Her dirty blonde hair that usually covered her ears and cheeks was now tied up in a ponytail, leaving only her bangs free above her eyes.  

"Get up" she hesitantly demanded, "I need you to run this with me." 

"You want me to dance with you?" Solar sounded baffled, eyeing the others extended hand as if the gesture had offended her.

"Yes, you're going to dance with me for this piece." Moonbyul continued to stare as to show the other she wasn't joking. 

"Very funny." she laughed sarcastically.

"I'm serious" Moonbyul persisted, "I heard all of the other songs on the iPod and no offense but yours was not my favorite but if you can come up with something similar to the other songs and combine it with your work I've made up some amazing choreo but it involves you dancing too and it's not hard I'll walk you through it and-"

"I'm not dancing." Solar said standing up and smoothing down her skirt before folding her arms the way Moonbyul noticed she began getting defensive. 

"Oh come on, your pompous can't even bare to do a few moves to the song you composed." Moonbyul rolled her eyes, frustrated, and turned around to face the mirrors.

 "Pompous?" Solar retorted.

"Yes pompous. As in pretentious and flamboyant thinking that just because you're a composer, it means you're better than dancers which by the looks of it you're not." Moonbyul countered, arching an eyebrow at the others reflection, challenging her. 

"I gave you my iPod with multiple audio files that I composed and that were completely your style of dance. You even said you liked them and yet you're telling me my work is crap?" Solar fumed as she went to slip on her coat.

"You said it wasn't yours?" Moonbyul said turning around.

"You call me pretentious yet you're the one that from day one made assumptions of me just because I liked ballads? That doesn't mean my music taste Isn't good. I had you listen to that so you could tell me what you wanted me to do with the pieces I provided for you so you could get excited about the choreography." Solar continued to gather her things before turning to face Moonbyul who only stood watching.

"Now that I know what the hell you want to do with the stupid music, I'll text you a copy tonight." slamming the door behind her as she left. Solar had walked out of the dance room, leaving Moonbyul feeling worse than she had before when she insulted a whole genre to her partners face.

She laid down on the dance room floor, feeling her back arch as the cold wood pressed against her. 

"Why does your mouth always get you into trouble Byul." She groaned. Rolling over on her stomach, she slipped her phone out from her back pocket and set it on the floor next to her head. She waiting for Solars text until someone who had reserved the dance room came to kick her out. 

As she was walking down the music department building Moonbyul noticed it was already dark outside. She checked her watch and realized it was already 1 a.m. but as she continued to walk through the third floor, passing the large windows overlooking each music room, she noticed one was illuminating the end of the dim hall. 

Moonbyul looked over slightly as she continued to walk passed it when suddenly she recognized a red hat leaning on a grand piano in the middle of the room. She back peddled and smiled slightly as she headed towards the door. She slipped in as quiet as possible, dropping her bag off on one of the stools near the door.

As she moved quietly toward the grand piano, she took a seat next to the sleeping girl who's head rested on her arm that leaned against the piano frame. Her straight hair was swept across her face as soft snores escaped from her lips.

Moonbyul smiled and lifted her hands above the lower octave keys before slamming them back down making a thunderous boom echo throughout the music room. 

Solar jumped and looked around wide eyed until she saw Moonbyul sitting next to her, flashing a devious smile. 

"What the hell?" she sleepily grumbled. 

"You know, I can play the piano too?" Moonbyul informed her as she began moving her hands up and down the piano. 

Solar glared at her, feeling the anger from Moonbyul's words return to her chest. She began to get up when Moonbyul suddenly spoke.

"I'm sorry" she apologized, continuing to let her hands dance up and down the black and white keys producing a beautiful melody.

Solar turned and locked eyes with Moonbyul who took her hands off the piano to face her. 

"I shouldn't have assumed nor judged you the way I did. I just felt like you thought your music was better than my dancing and the point of this project was to blend both of our skills to make something really cool." 

Solar averted her eyes down to the piano keys in front of her and began playing the tune titled "M1" Moonbyul had heard on the other iPod for the past week. 

"You know piano girl," Solar smirked, "our professor had already mentioned what are final project was going to be months before it was assigned. So like the over achiever I was, I met up with a girl from your class who I had met at the music festival and asked her if she could show me her dancing style so I could see if she was willing to be my partner."

Solars hands continued to move as the song continued to build the way Moonbyul liked. 

"I had reserved dance room three for us but the department advisor said someone was still in there so I peeked in." Solar's hand faltered, making a unpleasant noise. She took her hands off the piano and turned to face Moonbyul who stared back with her eyebrows scrunched together and her upper lip slightly arched up in confusion. 

With a shaky voice, Solar explained that back then she had stood outside the dance room, gaping at how elegantly Moonbyul moved. She couldn't hear the music through the sound proof door so she played with the music app on her computer until she found a tune that matched perfectly. 

"Once you left, I waited for the other girl but she ended up flaking. I wasn't too bummed because I ended up creating M1 that had fit your dance so well that day and so I assumed that if I requested you to be my partner and I just showed you the piece that it wouldn't be so hard for you." 

"You requested me? Don't make me blush." Moonbyul teased bringing her hands up to her cheeks.

"Don't make me regret doing so." Solar said lightly, punching Moonbyuls arm playfully. 

"Okay then," Moonbyul agreed, standing as she extended her arm out to Solar flashing a gummy smile. 

"This isn't Dirty Dancing" Solar scoffed.

"You chose me against my will, now I'm going to make you dance against yours." 

"No." Solar crossed her arms and turned to face the opposite side of the room. 

"Why?" Moonbyul almost pleaded.

"I have two left feet and I'm not going to make a fool of myself. That's why I'm a composer not a dancer." Solar stated. 

Moonbyul walked in front of her and noticed the genuine unsteadiness in Solar's dark eyes. Moonbyul wondered how such an uppity girl who was usually so full of confidence, could possibly be nervous about dancing. 

"I won't let you make a fool of yourself." Moonbyul assured, extending her arm toward the smaller girl for the third time today. 

Solar looked up at Moonbyul's eyes that were always warm and curious. Hesitantly, she took her hand and was guided by Moonbyul to the left side of the room. 

"Okay, first things first, take off your shoes so they don't get ruined." Moonbyul ordered and Solar obliged, setting her shoes aside leaving her in socks that would surely make her slip on the smooth wood flooring.

"Now this." Moonbyul added, grabbed the hat from Solar's head and tossing it on the stool next to them. 

"Hey my-"

"It's distracting." Moonbyul cut in before Solar could protest, "Besides you look better without it." 

Solar caught Moonbyul smirking when she noticed the shade of pink her face had begun to turn. 

"Wait, question, why did you flake the first night of rehearsal if you had planned out everything before hand?" Moonbyul asked connecting the iPod to the speakers.

"I only was able to rent it because I bribed a guy before us to let me use the room if I agreed to critique his contemporary piece. I got held up so I couldn't make it, sorry." 

Moonbyul nodded and smiled as she pressed play, sliding the remote in her back pocket once the music started. 

The soft piano music began to fill the room starting off soft for the first couple of seconds before Moonbyul turned and nodded at Solar. She grabbed Solars wrist and placed her right hand on her shoulder. 

"I'm going to put my hand on your hip so don't get weird." Moonbyul grinned and waited for Solar to nod. 

Moonbyul's hand slid down the other girls arm as she gently placed it above her hip. 

"You could've just asked me to get into a waltz pose." Solar said as she tried easing the tension she felt in her shoulders. 

"Stand on my shoes." Moonbyul asked, this time her voice came off slightly annoyed. 

Solar felt reluctant, knowing if she did, she would have to get closer to Moonbyul than she already was. 

"I won't drop you I promise." Moonbyul assured giving her hand a light squeeze. 

After a few seconds, Moonbyul felt small pressure pinch her toes and warmth cascade down her chest. She moved her hand from Solars hip to the small of her back, pushing their bodies closer.

Without warning, Moonbyul began to move across the room, stepping down lightly even with the weight of Solar on her; she was light as feather gliding up and down the room. Their arms stretched up and their bodies followed, making their fingers interlock as their hips moved against each others. She moved fast and her body pulled Solar closer as the song continued to build the way she loved. 

Solar felt her heart in her stomach and her hands beginning to get sweaty as the room effortlessly spun around her with each spin Moonbyul did. She wasn't sure if to ask to stop because she wasn't sure she wanted to. Pressed against Moonbyul, with her hand now on her back she felt weightless and tiny compared to Moonbyul, who's eyes never left Solars face. They continued to dance until Solar's foot slipped, making her fall back, Moonbyul caught her by the wrists and pulled them up to her chest.

"I told you I wouldn't drop you." Moonbyul breathed, their faces were only inches apart as their chests rose and fell rhythmically from exhaustion. 

Moonbyul's eyes darted everywhere as she examined the smaller girls face, noticing things she hadn't before; like and the tiny beauty mark she had below her left eyebrow and how small her upper lip was small compared to the bottom. 

Solar watched as her eyes focused on her lips, leaning in slightly, she waited for the latter to meet her half way, not wanting to misread the situation.

She began to lean back when suddenly she felt soft lips press against her own. She closed her eyes and kissed back with gentle force. Her hands slid up in to Moonbyul's hair where her fingers tangled and tugged slightly. Moonbyul slid her hands to rest against Solars hips where she pulled her closer. They were out of breath and already tired when Solar smiled up at the taller girl before her. 

"Moonbyul?" 

"Hmmm?" 

"There's no music playing" 

Moonbyul turned to the stereo system and realized the song had ended. They both laughed as she turned back to look at Solar who had a wide grin on her face. 

"You watched me dance to no music before, this time we'll do it together" she smiled before continuing to guide Solar around the small space of the music room to the beat of no song. 

 

 

A/N: Sooooooo this is my first non-xiuhan/non-boy piece I've posted on here but Moonbyul and Solar from Mamamoo are just as cute and just as gay lmfao anyways hopefully you guys like it!