Chapter 7

The Changing Tune

 

Park Minyoung gave her a judging look when she opened her apartment door that afternoon.

"If you're thinking that I would let you cook here in my place, know that you're thinking wrong," her nasal voice sounded as she turned around and let the woman in.

Chaewon smiled, despite the other not being able to see it as she was walking forward with her back facing her.

"You still bought stuffs even though I've told you not to," Minyoung grunted, entering the kitchen and grabbing a few cans of beer from the fridge.

"The sun is still up there, what's with the beer?"

"Who is the one that makes me frustrated? It's your fault!"

The pixie cut haired woman slammed all the six cans of beer onto the coffee table in her living room. Chaewon had settled her self on the floor while leaning her back on the couch legs. Minyoung threw herself in between the stuffed animal she had put on the cottony couch. Her thumb and index finger moved smoothly pulling the tab opened, and as soon as the foam emerged out, she quickly put it in .

Chaewon turned to look as she made a satisfied sound.

"You make me crave some," she said.

Minyoung carelessly rested her legs on the coffee table, pointing at the rest of the beverage with her thumb.

"Suit yourself. I still have lots left in the fridge."

Alcohol was a kind of sweet temptation, especially in the time you didn't want to think straight, when you felt too tight and suffocated. Just like her at that moment. She thought to herself, would drinking by the daylight be a good a decision? But she didn't have to go anywhere after this, except her home, so there would be no problem, right?

She finally gave in and opened herself a can, taking a sip.

"Isn't it the first time that a man doesn't shut you away after knowing that secret? Well, except Myungsoo, of course."

Minyoung broke the comfortable silence they were in. After leaving the shop earlier, she decided to drop by the nearest supermarket and shop for some cooking ingredients. A call from Minyoung came when she was in the middle of picking sesame oil, trying to interrogate her about her date that day. When she spilled a bit of it, Minyoung immediately told her to come over to her place.

Chaewon gazed upward into nothing in particular. The breath she let out was soft, but somehow heavy.

"Minyoung-ah, do you remember I once said that I had given up on love? I could go living alone for the rest of my life, if not for my mother. So, if one day I met a person who could accept my past, even if there's no love, I would not mind."

She paused, and took another sip of the alcohol.

"Today, I found out I was wrong. When that man talked to me, and the thought of living with someone I have no affection for, suddenly scared me and made me feel terrible. Even more than the thought of dying alone."

Minyoung glanced at the top of her head from where she was sitting. Their youth memories came to her mind. How come such bright and positive girl changed so much over the years? Why was life being so cruel to her?

They had known each other since high school, but they were never too close to being called best friend at that time. Chaewon and Minyoung attended the same class on their last two years of high school but had different circle of friend. When she moved to Seoul to continue her study, fate brought them to meet again one day when Chaewon was just kicked out of her rented room. Minyoung helped her, let her stay for free and shared her room. Their bond was built since that day, being each other's strength as they thrived through their different ways in life.

"Finally," she smirked, "you come into your sense, huh?"

Minyoung had finished the can she opened earlier and she grabbed another one from the table.

"On my freshman year, when that jerk abused me and I was too stupid to break free because I was afraid that no one would take me after everything I did for him, you were the one who told me that no matter what had happened to me, I still deserve someone who will treat me with love and respect. Because, 'Minyoung-ah, you might have a scar, might have done something stupid, but you're more than that. You definitely worth more than one past mistake.' That's what you told me at that time. Now, it's time for you to realize that it applies to you too. That-"

"But mine is not a mistake," she cut in.

"I know! Yours is different, it's something you can't change. But, still, it doesn't mean you don't deserve to be loved and respected. So, now, stop going to those stupid dates your mother sets up for you, and tell me about this Song Joongki guy I heard from Seungwan."

.

 

Joongki felt like laughing at himself. He had faced many kinds of business colleague, had attended a lot of meetings, and had experienced an almost failed project. He stayed composed through all those stuff, no matter how panic and nervous he was inside his head, he never let it control his action.

However, look at him at the moment, leaning on the wall in front of a woman's flat. A woman he met just one week ago. It had been almost an hour since he stood there waiting for her to appear.

He had followed Seungwan's words, searching in the nearest supermarket from the shop. When he couldn't find her there, he stopped by the next supermarket, and the next and the next, all the way until he reached Hapjeong. Still, there was no trace of her there.

Alright, this is the 21st century, of course he knew there was a technology called cellphone. It was not like he didn't have her number too. In fact, he had tried calling her, many times, but she was not answering. He called the shop, she was not there, and they couldn't help at all as they too didn't know where she was, except being sure that she should be home by that time.

So, if he stood there in concerned, especially after what Seungwan told him about her condition, he definitely wasn't losing his mind right?

He tried to dial her number again, and when there was no answer, he left another message.

Are you okay? If you read this, please answer. At least, tell me that there's nothing I have to worry about.

Joongki sighed, staring at her name that he saved on his phone.

What was with this Moon Chaewon woman? Why was she making him losing his mind?

.

 

"But it will end after today."

Her words had slurred a bit, and there were eight empty cans around them already.

"What do you mean?"

"I told myself, if we don't meet today, if he can't find me today, then it means a goodbye to whatever is going on."

Minyoung pushed her head from behind using her right foot.

"Ya! What kind of ridiculous thing are you doing? Who the heck take a decision using...using...coincidence? When you knew he wouldn't be able to see you because you were not going to the shop today."

Chaewon put her forehead on the table, closing her eyes. She was feeling sleepy, or maybe the alcohol had long kicked in and she was actually drunk.

"I was afraid, I'm afraid. Someone I barely met and know made my heart beat faster mere by his caring words. I'm afraid of the things he is capable of making me feel in the future. If...if I fall too deep and one day he finds out, would he leave me? If it happens, I'm not sure I have the strength to bear it. I know myself too well. I know, if I let him in, it will be hard to let him go when the time comes. Because, Minyoung-ah, deep inside, I have to admit that I am...attracted to him, to his hearty laugh and to his caring and considerate way of treating me."

"Ya! Moon Chae!"

If Minyoung had started to call her with that, it meant she was not sober either.

"Why do you always over think everything? Why can't you just live in the present and do it for the sake of now? Follow your heart, enjoy this life."

"Should I?"

.

 

"Agassi, Agassi, we have arrived."

Faintly, she could hear someone was talking, an old man in particular. Just she didn't know whether he was talking to her or to someone else. That man's voice was heard again and all she wanted to do was to continue her sleep. Why was he being so noisy? Why couldn't he let her have her peaceful sleep?

"Agassi, please wake up."

Whoever that man was calling, please wake up, so he would stop and she could continue her rest.

"What is going on, Sir?"

She heard another man talking, a different voice, and the old man telling him that he was trying to get this passenger out of his cab.

Yes, Chaewon thought, please just kick that passenger out of his cab and stop being so loud. They were interrupting her sleep.

Suddenly, Chaewon felt like floating mid air, just a pair of someone's arms were propping her back and knees firmly.

"I know this woman, Sir, yes, yes I'll pay for the cab fare. Thank you so much."

She heard the man talking again, and strangely, he sounded familiar. It seemed as if she had heard it somewhere before, and not just once or twice.

What kind of strange dream was this, she thought to herself, because she definitely felt that she was not in her bed but in someone's arms and that someone was moving now. What kind of dream felt this vivid? This person footsteps, his hurried breath, she could hear it all.

"What were you doing this whole day that you get back in this condition? It's not even nine in the night and you are already drunk. What did happen to you?" he talked, and Chaewon silently asked in her mind if he was talking about her.

Drunk? She was not drunk though, she was sleeping.

Whatever, one thing now, she knew that the person who carried her was a man from his deep voice. But, who was he? Whose voice was that? She definitely had heard it somewhere before. Was it Myungsoo?

Not Myungsoo though.

She was so curious and tempted to open her eyes to take a look at this man. But he just fixed the way he carried her that she was deep inside his arms now. She could feel his beating heart and warm body, and suddenly she was afraid that this comfort would disappear if she opened her eyes and woke up from her sleep.

"Chaewon-ssi, what did actually happen to you?"

Did he just call her name? Oh, he really talked to me! Should she answer him then?

"Hard time...beer...Minyoung's place."

Why did her words come out weirdly? Was it because she was sleeping? Or because it was a dream? Did your words not come out correctly if you talked in a dream?

"Oh shoot! How do I get to open your flat door? Chaewon-ssi? Chaewon-ssi? Answer me, please, you remember your pass code, right?"

Was he a thief? Why was he trying to get inside her place?

"Chaewon-ssi, we need to get inside now. Please answer me."

No, he isn't possibly a thief. Someone with a bad intention won't be this comfortable and warm.

"O'course...easy...eight...nine."

"Can you please talk more clearly?"

"Seven...eight...seven...nine."

Several beeping sound and she knew the man succeeded opening that whatever door. She snuggled her head closer to his chest as the man's grip left her waist for a few second and he sounded struggling on doing something.

This warmth too, why did it feel like it was not the first time she ever felt it?

There were footsteps again, lots of it, and she was being placed in cottony ground. It was cold and the warmth she felt before was drifting away.

She hated it, she wanted it back. Her hands moved frantically, searching for it, but she couldn't find it. Instead, a bright light appeared, too bright that it even hurt her closed eyes. She had no choice but to forcefully open it.

It was hard, she blinked, and blinked again, blinded by the dazzling light.

"Chaewon-ssi?"

There again, the man's voice, and the blinding light disappeared, shielded by the face that was looking down at her.

"O," she mumbled, "know who you are...had seen you before."

The man smiled, and a sad feeling she didn't understand creeped up inside her chest.

"Wanted to see you...but can't anymore. I can not...but you keep appearing...saw you everywhere...supermarket...dream too."

This man inside her dream stared at her with a gaze she understood as worry and confusion, then he smiled again.

"So, this is how you behave when you are drunk."

She vaguely saw his hand swift, and felt it slipping a few strands of hair behind her ear.

"Of course you know me. You even promised me last night that I could come and see you today. It's really strange, but do you know how worried I was when I couldn't find you anywhere? Now to think about it, I did well for waiting, at least I know you're safe now, and maybe just a bit drunk, or really drunk."

He chuckled by the end of his words, and Chaewon liked it, the sound of it, the way his lips curled up.

She wanted to see it again. She tried to think of ways to see it again, but her lids had gotten really heavy.

This is a dream but why am I feeling sleepy? I can sleep in my sleep? Then, will I dream that I'm dreaming too? Will this man appear in that dream too?

She was defeated before she could find the answer to her questions.

.

 

Joongki didn't know how long he stayed there staring at her sleeping figure.  For someone who he had witnessed restraining her alcohol intake the other day, then there must be a definite reason on why she was drinking until she lost her awareness.

One week might be a short time, and their few meetings hadn't told much about each other. However, it was enough for him to understand that she was someone who always acted carefully.

Was she having a really hard time today?

He snapped from his reverie and realized that she was sleeping in an uncomfortable position. He reached the pillow and placed her head appropriately. After taking off her shoes and the sling bag that was still circling her shoulder and back, he finally tucked her under the blanket.

Joongki took another chance to look at her. Oh, how he wished to stay by her side until she woke up just to make sure she would be fine. But, if he really did that, it probably would be really embarrassing for her.

"Sleep tight, Chaewon-ssi. I hope to see you tomorrow."

And off, he left with a heavy heart.

.

 

A wave of headache hit her as she gained consciousness. Her eyelids were heavy but she forced it to move. It took some time until she realized that she was back on her bed in her flat, and the ray of sunlight was peeking behind the window curtain.

She was trying to remember how she got back on her own when the nausea came poking inside her upper stomach and throat. Immediately, she threw the blanket that covered her body away and ran downstairs to the bathroom. She threw up a good amount of liquid that made her wonder how much did she drink yesterday.

The vomiting and the smell of alcohol in her clothes made her rushed to freshen up and taking a shower. She brew herself a cup of black coffee after that, while gulping down a lot of water to wash away the intoxicated sense. 

She was ready to go out for the day when she realized that her wallet and cellphone were still inside the sling bag she used yesterday. The device vibrated right as she was about to move it to the regular shoulder bag she wore daily.

"Oh, Minyoung-ah," she answered the call.

"You okay?"

"Not that bad anymore, how abou you? How much exactly did we drink? I threw up like crazy."

"There was fifteen empty cans when I woke up but I can't remember who drunk more. Anyway, ya, you left your groceries here. I was hungry this morning so I took some veggies and stuff," the woman said.

"Alright, I'll fetch the rest of it later. Or you can keep everything if you want?"

"Nah, no, it will be rotten when I have the time to cook it. The office had just called me saying that I need to fly to Japan for three days. Those lunatics, seriously. I'll put it in the refrigerator for now, you can come to take it later. You remember my pass code, right?."

Chaewon laughed at the part where Minyoung cursed her work colleagues.

"Yes, okay, it will do. Have a safe and fun trip to Japan."

"Of course, don't worry, since they always treated me whatever way they like, I'll use up the company card to my heart's content too."

"Just don't cross the limit, they'll kill you afterwards. By the way, do you know how I go back to my place? I haven't remember a thing and the amount of money in my wallet is just right the amount I put in yesterday."

"You probably used the subway. Why? Is something wrong?"

"Not really, it's just, it's weird, but it feels as if I'm indebted to someone. Well, ignore it, I don't even know what I'm talking about. Maybe it's because I haven't been drunk in a long time. Minyoung-ah, seems like my phone is running out of battery, it keeps beeping. Call me when you're back-"

It shut down before she could talk any further. There was not enough time left, she would just charge it when she reached the shop later.

.

 

"Eonni, did you meet Song Joongki ahjussi yesterday?"

"Song Joongki-ssi?" Chaewon frowned.

"He dropped by here around thirty minutes after you left the shop. I told him that you were probably shopping for groceries somewhere nearby. He called the shop twice around 6pm asking if you were here. I thought he was going to check if you were home, but I guess he didn't since you didn't meet him."

Was it supposed to be funny? In the end, they really couldn't see each other yesterday. Her ridiculous bet had turned into reality. What should she do then?

Why are you even bother asking? Just like what you said, it's the end of that short moment of illusion and hope. Goodbye, beating heart, there's no reason to have you again.

But, why was she feeling disappointed? And bizarre? Did she not want it to end?

She inhaled deeply, looking at the handful peonies in her hand.

Right, Moon Chaewon, this is not the time to be upset over something you had decided on your own. It's not like you don't have enough trouble to be taken care of.

Now that she remembered, wasn't it strange that her mother hadn't called at all? She had never stayed quiet after each of the matchmaking meetings.

She walked to the back of the shop, inside the office and turned her charging phone on. She waited while it proceeded.

There was twenty missed calls and seven messages waiting for her. She must had put it in silence mode that she didn't even realize that her mother had been trying to call that many times.

That was her assumption, but how surprised she was to see that amongst it, ten calls were coming from Song Joongki. She checked it one by one. The record stated that he must be calling around the time she walked to Minyoung's place, and the latest one was around 8.30pm in the night. The rest of the calls were from her mother, the shop and Minyoung.

For her mother to call her five times, it was a given. She must be really curious about how the meeting went. But, for him to call her that many times, why?

The first thing she did was calling her mother, explaining why she missed her calls. She said she would tell her about her meeting with Yoo Ah In later, she would call again when she got back to her place. The strange thing she noticed was her mother's too cheery tone of talking. Maybe she was just in a good mood, or maybe something else, but Chaewon didn't want to dig deeper. Somehow, she thought she wouldn't like it if she knew the reason why.

After that, she checked the messages. There was only two messages from her mother, another one from Myungsoo telling her he would come by the shop on Wednesday, and the rest four messages were, again, from Joongki.

I came by the shop, but you were not there. Are you perhaps busy?

You're not answering your phone. You're okay, right?
 

I called the shop, and they said you were not there either. Seungwan said you were a bit unwell when you left the shop. I hope you're not fainting somewhere in the street.

Are you okay? If you read this, please answer. At least, tell me that there's nothing I have to worry about.

All the memory from yesterday rushed inside her head like a flashback from a movie. She could see herself drinking on Minyoung's place, stopping a cab, the driver telling her to wake up and someone appeared paying her cab fare and carrying her inside her flat. She told him her pass code and when she opened her eyes, it was Joongki in front of her, smiling, chuckling, touching her hair.

She almost dropped her phone. It was vibrating and his name was written on the screen.

Dear heaven, what should she do? What did she do? Did she say something stupid yesterday? Out of all time, why does it have to be now that he is calling? Why?

Should I just ignore it? She thought. But her other conscience scolded her.

If not for him, the cab driver could probably left you on the street. How could you do that to him who has been worried about you?

"God, please help me!"

Closing her eyes tight, she slid the answer button.

"You're answering!"

It was the first words he said, sounding relieved and pleased at the same time. She didn't know how to reply it so she stayed quiet, until he had to call her name.

"Yes?"

"How are you feeling? Are you okay?" he asked, and his tone was filled with concern that made her inside squirmed.

"I'm alright, thank you," she said.

"For what?"

She mustered up her courage before telling him, "For being concern...and worried about me." She breathed in silently. "Actually, I just see all the messages you sent yesterday, and the calls. I'm sorry...for making you uselessly worried. I put my phone in silent mode that I didn't know you were calling."

Somehow, Chaewon could picture him smiling as he answered her.

"Ah, the messages. It's making me embarrassed," he chuckled, "I re-read everything I sent, it makes me look like someone clingy, doesn't it? I hope I don't scare you, I was just really worried."

She smiled, thinking, he really had a way of talking that could make you feel warmer. Or was it just her?

"And...Joongki-ssi, thank you for taking care of me last night. Also, I'm sorry, every time we met, the thing that happened was always you helping me around."

"If you are really sorry, then, you can invite me for dinner, maybe, sometime tonight?"

Yes, right, she did ever thought of taking him to lunch or dinner sometime after he helped her in the coffee shop. But, at that time, she was looking at him with different eyes. At that time, he hadn't started making her heart beat went wild.

This time, if they went out, it would be a really different story, wouldn't it?

"Tonight won't do," she said, "I have to stay until the closed hour."

The disappointment in his voice was too obvious even though he told her it was okay. Though it didn't stay long as she finished her words.

"Hmmm...how about lunch this weekend?"

"Sounds great!"

"Alright then. I have to go now, I have left Seungwan alone for too long. I guess, I'll see you on that day?"

"Yes, we'll have lunch this weekend, but I'll see you tonight."

"Excuse me?"

"You can't go out for dinner, but that doesn't mean I can't come to see you. Can I?"

"I-it-okay...you can."

He made her losing her ability to talk that it came out like a whisper.

"Then, I'll see you tonight?"

"Yes, see you tonight."

"Chaewon-ssi," he called her name again, stopping her from hanging up the call, "I'm glad I was the one who found you last night...and not any other man."

Her breath was caught in the throat, and he was chuckling again.

"You might think I'm talking nonsense, but, I'm being honest. Also, the fact that you were just drinking with Minyoung, who I assume is a woman. You understand what I'm saying, right? Okay, I should stop now before I surprise you any further. Alright, I'm hanging up. Have a nice day, don't skip your meal."

The call had ended, but her heart didn't stop beating hard for the whole day.

"Unnie, why are you so red? Do you have a fever?" Seungwan asked her when she finally walked out of the office.

Oh, how she wished it was just a fever.

.

 

 

 

Author's note :

I hope this update comes "soon enough" for you, as I have promised. Okay, explanation; I have to made Chaewon drunk so she could be honest with herself and Minyoung. The scene where Joongki found her on the taxi, do you find it cliche? I found it a little bit cliche, but I have to make it happen. I don't want Chaewon to close her heart, so I have to make them come across each other again to counter the bet she made with herself. But, I didn't want it to be easy. Chaewon should have a moment away from him to realize that she is attracted to him, and the thought of losing the feeling she felt when she was with him wouldn't make her feel good. While Joongki needed to realize that the attraction he felt for her, isn't just an ordinary attraction from the effort he poured to find her. He found joy and contentment when he looked at her, and strangely he questioned himself for being worried when he couldn't see her; worried that she might be with someone else, worried that something happened to her because Seungwan said she looked troubled.

Chaewon here is someone who restrained herself, her feeling, emotion, act. Joongki here is someone who knows how to follow his heart. Joongki liked her first, will admit it to her first, and later, he will also be the one who loves her first. Meanwhile, Chaewon will keep holding back her feeling for a long time. But, even though she tries to deny her feeling and keeps being cautious, she can't really deny him when he comes to her. Her head is saying no, but she keeps wanting to see him. So, the drunk scene is one of my way to make it easier for Chaewon. Because Joongki had helped her, she could tell herself that she had no choice but to thank him, so she would be less cautious when she accepted his request to see her.

That's all for Joongki and Chaewon. We'll think and talk about Yoo Ah In in the next update. For now, let the two of them enjoy some moment before Chaewon has to go through another "torture". By the way, Chaewon's best friend here is actress Park Minyoung. I portrayed her in her character from the drama Healer as I wrote.

Thank you so much for reading this story and this rambling that I call "author's note" LOL. Wish to read your thoughts on this update. See you again on the next one! ^^

PS : As I re-read the whole chapter, I realized there are some confusing parts. I added this in case you misunderstand the story about Minyoung's past. It doesn't indicate anything, it was to show how she and Chaewon bonded and developed their close friendship. Then, Chaewon's past doesn't (really) have anything to do with Joongki. He is not a person from her past, and their first meeting was indeed on the train. Also, when Chaewon was drunk and she thought that she was familiar with that warmth from Joongki's body, I'm referring to the scene when Joongki piggybacked her to the shop when she sprained her ankle.