No Need For Words

No Need For Words

It was hardly anything new. The two of them, Amber and Luna, hanging out at Amber's place, watching TV. The room was getting darker as it grew later, the slightly blue glow from the electronic device illuminating their faces. After they had eaten their dinner they had drifted off into silence, each on their own side of sofa, their feet occasionally bumping together. It wasn't new, so it was comfortable. But it was uncomfortable as one of the awkward silences that had started to come between them lately. All they did was stare at the TV, occasionally glancing at each other but quickly looking away because it wasn't like they ever ended up saying anything.

But finally, Amber said, "You know, this makes me think of that other movie. You know... That one?", trying to break the silence.

"What one?" Luna asked.

Amber scratched her ear and shrugged. "I don't remember the name."

"...I think I know which one, though," the other woman said after a few seconds.

Back to silence... Amber thought dismally. She hated it being like this. They should have a million things to say to each other! They'd know each other for so long, were such good friends... Had they just run out of things to say?

Amber jumped as Luna suddenly laughed softly at a cheesy joke she had barely heard. But then she eased into a smile, seeing Luna's bright and happy face. It made her feel warm inside, seeing that it wasn't as awkward as she thought. Until she felt warm in a different way, her cheeks heating up as Luna caught her staring.

"I..." Without an excuse, she just looked back at the screen.

Luna just kept smiling, sinking deeper into the sofa as her own eyes slid back to the two bickering siblings on TV. Their feet once more ended up on top of each other, Amber with her peanut butter socks and Luna with her matching jelly ones. She remembered when they were out shopping and got them, decided to get them to jokingly team up against Krystal and Victoria who had "gone off and abandoned them" for some acting jobs. What a coincidence they had both decided to wear them that day.

"I can't believe JackJack abandoned us," Amber said randomly, immediately feeling weird about it afterwards.

"Well, he probably thinks we're losers for watching this movie."

"O-oh. Want me to change it?"

"No."

The room slipped back into silence, Luna watching the film intently while Amber closed her eyes to frantically think of a way to make things not awkward, deciding that maybe it would solve things if she just pretended to fall asleep. After a few minutes she peered out through her squinted eyes at Luna. Seeing her so relaxed and happy... so beautiful, she mentally sighed and just accepted what she had been trying to deny to herself. Why she felt awkward around Luna, why her heart leapt when they touched. Why, despite how much she was hating so much about this moment, she wanted this to last forever.

Luna turned to her slowly and asked, "Are you feeling okay?"

Amber sighed deeply, the air rustling the hair on her forehead. "Yeah, I'm fine. I just... I'm going to get some water. Do you want anything?" she asked, sitting up.

Luna nodded. "Sure, some water would be fine."

Amber nodded back and rose, smoothing out the wrinkles in her jeans as she slowly walked towards the kitchen.Then she took a deep breath and turned back around. "Hey, Luna?" She tried to look at the younger woman's face, but ended up just awkwadly just sort of staring at her shoulder instead. "I... I think I love you."

Luna smiled, her eyes still not leaving the screen. "I know."

Amber froze, then turned back towards the kitchen to fetch their water. Maybe she didn't need to say anything after all.