#7: Conflicted

My Lover, Your Babysitter

#7: Conflicted

Mark stares at the raindrops, sliding down slowly on the windowpane, he was so lost in his own thoughts that he didn't even noticed his boss who's watching him.

"Yi En." The younger called out as he approached the older whose standing by the window, staring out of the window.

"Huh, you need me for something?" Mark asked, lost as he look at the younger who shook his head before reaching out to grabbed the older's wrist.

Without another word, he softly tugged Mark before bringing him over to the couch and plopping down, him facing the older.

"Are you alright? You had been out of it since lunch earlier, did something happened while I was gone? Yugyeom?" Jackson asked, looking at the other who just shook his head because it clearly had nothing to do with Yugyeom.

"If it isn't Yugyeom...." Jackson wondered out, searching for something in the older's expression but there was nothing, he can't figure anything out.

"Jackson, can I ask a favor of you?" Mark suddenly asked after keeping his silence, looking straight at his boss with an unreadable expression.

"Sure, what is it?" Jackson asked, curious as he look at how Mark seems to be in quite a dilemma, trying to find those words.

"Don't treat me too nicely, please." Mark said out, looking at how that small smile turned into a frown, a lost one.

"Mark..." Jackson uttered out, totally taken aback by those words while trying to figure out what's going on in the older's head.

"Good night." Mark wished, avoiding those lost eyes as he got up, heading straight for his room.

Mark knows that he didn't know the real truth behind that scene he witnessed but at this moment, he knows that it's the best for him because if Jackson continues, he will eventually forgets that everything is fake.

Without realizing tears dripped down his cheeks, the moment he closes the door behind him.

Throughout his whole life, he has always been a burden or a baggage for someone and he didn't want to be one for Jackson at least because what if he was just a burden from the start, a burden that Jackson had to carried due to Yugyeom's obsession towards him.

Even before knowing him, he had became a problem for Jackson Wang and he didn't want that to continue on now, not when the younger and Jade had given him so much.

He grew up literally alone with no such warmness called family around but just being with them, he got to experience that and he didn't want to take it for granted because he knows where his stand is in this situation.

Mark try his best to stop those tears as he curled himself up on the bed and under the blanket, hoping that he will slowly get tired and fall asleep from the tears.

He really tried his best to forget about his painful past but once again what happened a year ago haunts him again.

"Yi En, aren't you excited?" Mr Huang, his boss exclaimed as they make their way over to the restaurant for his engagement discussion to Lucy Huang.

Mark smiled, he didn't know what else to say since he clearly wasn't in love with the female but he was too indebted towards his boss of almost six years to reject.

"I know, I make the right choice of choosing you for her. You will definitely change her into a better person." Mr Huang said, patting Mark's back before they entered the restaurant and the hostess brought them over the private room where Mrs Huang and Lucy are waiting for them.

"Finally, I thought we had to wait ten more years before we can eat." Lucy commented, rolling her eyes at the two who just entered the room while Mrs Huang just sighed.

"Well, let's eat." Mr Huang said after they took their seats, ignoring his daughter before the servers starts serving their food.

Mark just stayed quiet, feeling the tension between Lucy and Mr Huang while trying to eat properly but it's proving to be difficult with the stuffy atmosphere.

By the time they are having desserts, Mr Huang finally break the silence atmosphere as he start talking about the arrangement.

"I had talked to Yi En earlier about the event but I think it's better if you plan things out carefully together." Mr Huang started, looking at his daughter who's watching him in disbelief.

"Are you serious? Didn't I make it clear that I don't want this engagement? Don't you understand?" Lucy hissed at her father, not caring if she is being rude because she already makes it crystal clear that she is not interested in some orphan that her old man thinks highly of.

"I don't care, my decision is final. After your engagement with Yi En, you guys have a year to prepare for the wedding." Mr Huang stated his stand causing Lucy to frowned before getting up, clearly pissed at the elder.

"Where are you going, Sweetheart?" Mrs Huang asked in panic when she noticed her daughter picking up her handbag, ready to exit that private room.

"Fine, I don't care as well. You can get married to him if you want him so much." Lucy said, glaring at the two annoyance in her life before walking out of the room, Mrs Huang keep calling her back.

"Let me try to talk to her." Mark suggested after seeing the messy situation the dinner turned into before getting up and going after the female.

"Lucy,wait!" Mark shouted out when he finally caught up with the female outside the restaurant, apparently she is heading to the carpark area.

"What do you want? You know I don't like you." Lucy barked, she had enough of this whole engagement nonsense at this moment.

"I know but..." Mark tried to explained but the other just snicked in disbelief, totally judging him hard.

"What? You know and you still followed that old man's order..." Lucy sneered, clearly not amused at the information she just received.

"No, it's just..." Mark tried again but it seems the other's already had the answer for him because apparently Lucy thought that she knows him well.

"Just...you are probably scared to lose your job, right? Of course, you had it easy having his support all this while without realizing you are just a burden to me and Mama. You will never be part of us, you are not a Huang. You should know where you stand, Tuan." Lucy reasoned out, voice in clear hatred as she threw him a disgusted look before walking straight ahead, not sparing the clearly hurt Mark another look.

Mark took a deep breath, gathering himself back together before running back into the restaurant, worried about the elder pair that he obviously respect and care about but the moment he heard those words coming from the room, his track got paused as he listened in by the door.

"Dear, why are you doing this to our daughter? Are you making her hate you even more?" Mrs Huang hissed as she stands up, glaring at her husband.

"Honey, you know I'm doing this for her. Yi En will be able to take care of her and mold her to be a better person. He will be such a great husband for her." Mr Huang answered calmly as he also got up when he noticed that his wife was ready to leave.

"Do you hear yourself, all you ever talk about is Yi En. Since he appeared in our life, all you do is compare Lucy to him. You don't even care how she feels, don't you? Well, let me make it clear to you that for once never did I like this idea, you want to married my daughter off to an orphan who we don't even know come from where. 

The thought of him being apart of our family disgust me, do you know? I don't need an extra orphan baggage in our life." Mrs Huang shouted straight to her husband face in anger before walking out, bumping into Mark who's listening by the door.

She glared at him for a bit before walking passed him while Mr Huang massaged his temple in distressed when he realized that his secretary overheard everything.

It was at that moment he thought that it was best if he walked out of the Huang's life because he didn't want to be the reason of the family arguments any longer, he didn't belong there in the first place.

With every last bit of effort in him, Mark pushed out those painful memories before forcing himself to sleep, it was what he really wanted and needed at this moment.

####

"Good morning." Jackson greeted, smiling as he appeared all suited up and ready for work like usual, taking a seat in his usual spot while watching Mark carrying the plate full of breakfast sandwiches to the table.

"Morning." Mark greeted with a small smile before running back to the kitchen for the apple juice he had prepared earlier.

In the midst of everything, Jade appeared out of her room looking totally fresh and excited, not like usual where she always half awake.

"Good morning, Daddy." Jade greeted with a peck on Jackson's cheek before taking a seat beside Mark's currently empty spot, ready for breakfast.

"Good morning, Dear." Mark greeted after taking a seat beside the child, earning a peck from the rather excited child.

"Well, someone looks excited today." Jackson commented causing Jade to smile, nodding at her father's words has she took a bite off the sandwich, eyeing her Daddy and Papa.

"I'm excited for the trip, we can play together." The five year old shared as she chewed making Jackson smiled while Mark just stayed quiet, he feels uneasy about this trip.

If people where to hear his thoughts now, they would just straight out call him a pessimist because when he heard Yugyeom suddenly inviting everyone on a trip yesterday during lunch, he couldn't help but to smell trouble heading their way.

In his book, it was weird how Yugyeom openly invited everyone there in that meeting room to join him and So yeon for their trip to a resort this weekend when he clearly show a dislike towards Jade and Jaebum.

Well, he might be thinking too much but after seeing and experiencing that unpredictable side of the younger, nothing is impossible.

"Mark..mark..mark.." Jackson's voice echoed a few times, pulling him out of his thoughts before he turned towards the younger whose looking at him.

"Hey, it's everything alright? You are worrying me." Jackson asked, reaching out to feel his forehead but Mark unconsciously moved away, avoiding his touch.

"Yea, don't worry." Mark assured, looking straight at his sandwich before taking a bite while ignoring the confusion clear on his boss face.

Jackson somehow feels hurt by Mark's action, it's weird seeing the older like this even though he was used to the older's quiet nature but this was something more, it was more than him being quiet.

"You are going with us, right? Jaebum and Youngjae decided to join in too." Jackson asked, trying to make a conversation, trying to pushed away the rather tense atmosphere while Jade watches in silence, enjoying her sandwich.

"I guess since Jade is going, I will have to be there." Mark answered softly, looking at the child with a small smile that makes Jackson wonders, why did the ex-secretary said something like that.

"So if Jade aren't going, you are not going?" Jackson blurted out, sounding more hurt than he should as he stare at the quiet older who slowly looked up at him.

"Of course, I am her babysitter afterall. I don't see the need for me to bother you during your fun times with the others." Mark stated, looking at the younger directly before turning to focus back on wiping Jade's messy mouth.

Jackson stare at the older in disbelief while wondering what the hell happened for him to be hurt by those rather cold words, he can't even digest the situation on hand well.

####

Mark rubbed his nose, feeling stuffy as he packed up for the trip even though his body is screaming to just sleep.

Since last night, he has been feeling feverish due to the fact that he and Jade were caught in a downpour while doing grocery shopping yesterday afternoon.

When they got home, he instantly rushed to get Jade dried up and warm that he forgets to take care of himself until he started sneezing.

Due to his own stupidity, his body is now suffering but he already promised the child and he feels bad if he bailed out last minute.

As he was trying to carry his backpack out of the room, Mark feels tipsy causing him to see double and dropped his bag in the process, startling the father and daughter whose packing in Jade's room.

"Mark.." Jackson called out in shocked when he run over and saw the older struggling to balance himself, running straight up to hold Mark in his embrace.

"Is Papa sick, Daddy?" Jade asked worriedly as she watches her father took a seat on the bed with Mark before letting the older's head rest on his chest.

Jackson nodded, obviously feeling the slight heat when his skin touches with the ex-secretary before his hand checks on the forehead.

"Hey, let's go to the doctor and get you check, we can ask the others to go ahead without us." Jackson whispered into Mark's ears, worrying about the older who obviously look unwell.

With his eyes half opened, Mark found himself looking at Jade who has been super excited the last few days and he can't just let them cancel the trip because of him.

"I should be fine after some sleep and medicine, you should go ahead with Jade. I can take care of myself here." Mark muttered out, looking at the younger who only frowned upon his suggestion.

"No, we can't just leave you here. I don't think Jade will be happy, right Bunny?" Jackson said, looking at the child who nodded in agreement before she takes one of Mark's hand in hers.

"It's ok, Papa. I will stay and take care of you." Jade assured, smiling even though Mark could see the sadness in the child's eyes making him felt touched by the five year old's sweetness.

"Let me get some medicine and rest. I think by the time we leave the house I should be fine, if not I will just sleep more in the car." Mark suggested after thinking hard since he didn't want Jade to be disappointed afterall.

Jackson was about to reject the idea but when he saw the older staring at his child, he realized why Mark is being stubborn about this, he didn't want to disappoint the child that cleary was more hyped up about this trip than usual.

"Fine but promise me, you will take good care of yourself and tell me if anything." Jackson sighed in defeat while Mark just smiled, patting Jade's head softly.

"Don't worry, Daddy. I will help take care of Papa." Jade assured, smiling before she climbed up the bed to give her Papa a peck on the cheek.

Meanwhile at an apartment somewhere in Seoul, Jaebum was mentally cursing his best friend after he received a so called lovely morning call from Jackson to inform him that he won't be picking him up like planned since Mark isn't well and to make it worst, that idiot had asked him to drive himself and Youngjae to the resort.

Now, it's not like as if he can't drive himself to the resort since Mark is unwell after all and Jackson decided to let him rest a bit before they make a move, therefore asking him to go ahead first which he understands but what he don't understand was why he had to bring that annoying human along too.

It's not like Jackson didn't know how he and Youngjae just didn't get along so why, why it must be him who picked up that annoying human.

"It's because there only you to pick him up other than us." was Jackson's reply when he asked why he had that stupid honor of picking Choi Youngjae up.

Sighing, he quickly gets himself ready before making a move since he still need to pick up that annoyance before the long drive to some exquisite resort Yugyeom picked for this trip.

By the time he reached in front of the other apartment building which Jackson gracefully texted the address to him, he can see Youngjae waiting at the pavement with a backpack, playing with his phone.

Jaebum unknowingly took a deep breath before exiting the car and walking up towards the younger who looked confused seeing his arrival.

"Let's go." Jaebum said, simple and quick but it wasn't that easy caused Youngjae ended up staring at him before trying to take a peak in his car, like as if looking for someone.

"Where's Jackson hyung?" Youngjae asked, still didn't budge since he clearly didn't look too happy at the fact that the person who was suppose to pick him up was missing.

"He can't make it, that's why I'm here instead. Let's go." Jaebum answered simply, urging him to move as he make his way back to his car, opening the door.

"Are you going or not?" The older urged on when he sees the hesitation on Youngjae's face when he asked him to jumped in.

"But..." Youngjae uttered out, he didn't like being left alone with Jaebum even though he spent five days a week, sharing the same area at the office but at least he wasn't required to communicate unless really needed.

"Don't worry, he will still be joining us. Mark hyung is just unwell so they will leave their house a bit later." Jaebum assured, guessing that the younger thought that it's just gonna be them on this trip, joining Yugyeom and his soon to be fiance.

Youngjae nodded upon hearing that, somewhat relief that the others will be joining later because being left together with Jaebum and Yugyeom at the same time will just drive him insane.

Just like that, they drived their way in total awkwardness with silence accompanying them until Jaebum decided it's too quiet and he needs to say something.

"He didn't call you or anything?" Jaebum asked, trying to make small conversation while looking at the younger who only shook his head.

"I guess he must be busy with Mark hyung, he seems to be down with a slight fever or something." Jaebum commented causing Youngjae to nod in silence, unknowingly his expression dropped at the mention of the pair and the older didn't failed to notice it.

"It seems like he's upset or annoyed whenever Mark is being mention." Jaebum thought to himself after watching the other for a while at how that expression always surface when Mark is being brought up especially by Jackson like during most lunch time where his best friend would force them three to eat together.

The drive continue on for a while until they finally reached an intersection where Jaebum wasn't sure off but luckily the global positioning system (GPS) helped them.

"Stupid brat, he just had to pick a freaking resort that's hard to find. What a hassle!" Jaebum mumbled in annoyance, just complaining since he just wasted a lot of time struggling to find the right way.

"Can you stop it? If you think it's such a hassle, why bother joining this trip?" Youngjae snapped, glaring at the poor Jaebum who was just purely complaining softly, it didn't really mean anything.

"Oh right because my best friend is going on this trip, what about you? The last time I checked you are only their nanny's son, right?" Jaebum snapped back, feeling annoyed at how the younger secretary would just throw those harsh words at him once again.

Immediately Youngjae's expression dropped as he quickly turn away, it hurts but it was the truth. He is just an employee's son, he should know where he stand.

Jaebum immediately regretted his word, mentally scolded himself for saying those words because he clearly wasn't the one to judge someone by statues or anything but he was just annoyed at Youngjae that it slipped out.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean.." Jaebum apologized but the younger only stayed quiet before closing his eyes, Youngjae just needed some sleep for the pain to go away.

Jaebum almost smack himself because seeing the other like that just makes him more guilty than he was before and just like that he drive away in that silence.

When they finally reached the resort, Yugyeom was already waiting while looking excited but his expression immediately dropped when he saw it was just the two.

"Where's Mark hyung?" was the first thing that Yugyeom asked, surprising even Soyeon who's also there, greeting them with kind smiles.

"He and Jackson hyung will be arriving later." Youngjae replied, looking at the younger in front of him who just sighed in return before grabbing his wrist.

"Let's go, you are sharing a room with me and for you, I didn't booked you one." Yugyeom said, looking at Jaebum who just rolled his eyes at the info.

"Wow, I feel so welcomed. Thanks." Jaebum thanked sarcastically before walking away, heading to the reception area to book any available room for himself.

Youngjae suddenly feel bad for the older's secretary as his eyes followed him but Yugyeom's voice pulled his attention.

"Soyeon shii, go ahead and get some rest. I'm gonna show him the room first." Yugyeom said with a small smile before dragging Youngjae with him, leaving the rather awkward and lost female behind.

####

"Papa!" Jade shouted happily, waving at Mark whose seated at one of the deck chairs, watching the child playing with her father and uncles.

Mark waved back smiling, glad that he could make it even though he was still kind of struggling with his stuffy nose.

Since they had dinner out by the pool, they all decided to splash in after that which got the five year old excited since she finally could play after they arrived about just an hour before dinner because of him.

While watching them, he noticed at how Jaebum was busy teaching Jade how to float while Jackson was busy teasing Youngjae at the other side like a three year old.

Jackson was tickling the younger secretary causing him to burst in laughter, trying to free himself from his boss but Jackson has a tight hold, sticking his tongue out at Youngjae.

"I hate you." Youngjae shouted in defeat, pouting causing the boss to cheered before ruffling the younger's hair and pinched his nose.

"I love you too, Young." Jackson said, making kissy sound causing even Jade to giggled as she and Jaebum makes their way back to the two to join the fun.

Mark didn't know why but he found himself staring at the interaction between Jackson and Youngjae more often than he should and somehow it makes him feel all weird inside at their natural and comfortable skinship towards each other.

“They have always been that close, it’s weird if they aren’t dating back then.” Yugyeom’s voice was heard causing Mark to turn to his left where the pair was seated, seems like he was talking with Soyeon but it’s too loud for a private conversation.

“Their relationship had always been special, I bet Youngjae still love him alot.” Yugyeom added, hushing down on the last part even though it’s obvious Mark can overheard them since they are just a chair apart from him.

Hearing those words makes him think about the scene he witnessed in the pantry, it makes him believe even more that he was the cause of Youngjae’s pain at this point.

He tried his best to pushed away those thoughts, not wanting it to affect his mood but it didn’t help when the two keep on circling around each other with happiness on their faces.

They played for a bit more before Jade come running for a drink while the adults seems to be taking a break, tired out by the five year old’s energy.

“Are you having fun, dear?” Mark asked, watching the child drinking her juice who nodded her head vigorously, grinning at her Papa.

“Papa, aren’t you going to play for a bit?” Jade asked as she took a seat on her Papa’s lap after Mark wrapped her up in her robe, just to protect her from the cold air.

“I don’t think so, I still have a cold. You go ahead and have fun with Daddy, alright?” Mark said, patting the child’s head before looking at how Jackson busy joking around with Youngjae, totally hyped up.

“Daddy!” Jade called out after seeing how her Papa keep on staring at her father’s way even though he didn’t say anything.

“Yes, Bunny.” Jackson answered as he come running to his five year old, squatting down right in front of Jade and Mark.

“It’s nothing.” Jade replied cheekily before running off towards her uncle, leaving the two adults alone.

Jackson laughed before looking at Mark who seems down causing him to quickly pulled the older out of his chair, carrying him before throwing him into the pool, shocking everyone.

The oblivious boss cheered, thinking that it will cheer the older up since as far as he knows that being thrown in the water is fun but when Mark resurfaced from the water, it was nothing like he expected.

“What have you done, isn’t he sick?” Jaebum scolded as he saw the anger in Mark’s eyes when he resurfaced, watching Jackson with a hurt expression.

“I’m so sorry, Yi En.” Jackson apologized, flustered when he realized that he just thrown Mark in an unfit condition, how silly of him to forget.

Jackson reached out, giving his hand to help the older out of the pool but Mark didn’t feel like taking that hand, he somehow feel so hurt and disappointed over this.

To his surprise, another hand was stretched out for him and it was Yugyeom who's waiting for him causing the others to watch him making that decision.

As he calmed himself down, he reached for Jackson’s hand before the younger pulled him out of the pool and Youngjae immediately passed a towel to the boss.

“I’m so sorry, I was only trying to cheer you up. I wasn’t thinking.” Jackson apologized in their native language, wrapping the towel around him before pulling the older into a hug.

Mark just stood stiff in Jackson’s arm, he didn’t know why but seeing how Youngjae was watching them with those sad eyes, it just make him feel worse.

“I’m going back to the room.” Mark announced after Jackson let him go, eyes not meeting anyone’s including Jade’s, he just want to be alone.

“Let me accompany you.” Jackson offered, ready to asked Jaebum and Youngjae to keep a lookout on Jade while he's with the older but it was rejected.

“No, it’s fine. Just stay and accompany Jade.” Mark said before walking away, not even sparing his boss another look while Yugyeom just smirked, liking what he is witnessing and he should give the credit to Youngjae.

 


Hi Influffies! I'm back ~ I'm feeling a whole lot better so here is an update. Is anybody gonna kill me for the angst coming in? I promise it won't be too heavy since I did plan for these story to mainly be fluffy but we still need some drama, right? I promise though that Markson will stay intact for sure so no such things as Mark leaving ;) Share with me in the comments below your thoughts, complains or feels. Thank you for reading, upvotes and subscribing like usual, stay healthy and fluffy till the next update.
<3 InfinitelyCassie