01

Happy (Birthday)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Purple drifts into Irene's eyesight, turns into something bright and warm and when she's locked in an embrace, she thinks that maybe it isn't her favourite colour, but her favourite person. 

(A smile unknowingly makes its way onto Irene's face. Her favourite person was wearing a shirt with her favourite colour on it. What a beautiful sight.)

"Happy birthday, Irene unnie!" the younger girl greets, breaking the embrace and holding out a small letter with a smile. The right corner of her lips is slightly higher than the other when she grins, Irene observes. She ignores the sudden loss of comfort, places the letter in her pocket, and looks at her with a raised eyebrow, "but it isn't even my birthday."

Wendy just smiles and pretends she didn't hear; she grabs Irene's hand and before she knows it, Irene's seated in a car, the owner of the said automobile reaching over to Irene's side in order to buckle her seatbelt. "We're going somewhere. I hope that's alright with you," Wendy says, and if only Irene wasn't blushing so hard she would have been able to detect the excitement in the younger girl's voice.

Irene's consent long forgotten, Wendy starts driving through strange yet not unfamiliar roads. Yellow by Coldplay starts playing and Irene doesn't understand a thing - but Wendy's singing along and she's sure she's never heard anything sweeter until she falls asleep, a small smile on her lips and Wendy's voice lingering in her mind.

 


An hour into the drive, Wendy stops to take pictures of the setting sun. It had gotten dark, with a purple dusk draped over orange and blue fields as tiny specks of light slid into place. A content sigh left Wendy's lips as she stared at the scenery before her eyes. "Beautiful," she whispered, now looking at the sleeping figure beside her. She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear and smiles, contemplating on whether or not she should do what she was thinking of.

Being able to witness the beauty of a sunset made Wendy smile;

but seeing her best friend's peaceful state made her happy.

 

~

 

The night sky is all she remembers - hues of blue and purple mixing with a little orange. It refracts into something Irene can feel, like soft lips softly grazing her forehead. The memory is stored at the back of her mind as she wakes up and rubs her eyes cutely, eyes silently questioning the person beside her. Wendy turns to look at her and blinks, "oh, you're awake. Don't rub your eyes like that." Irene reluctantly stops and it's like her lips have a mind of their own because they jut out slowly, forming a pout. 

"Why not?" 

Wendy looks away and answers with seriousness in her voice -

"I might fall in love."

Needless to say, the ride after that was silent; although it wasn't an awkward silence. 

The silence was comfortable like they both knew something they wouldn't - couldn't dare to say out loud. Something only two friends could understand; something only the two of them understood. 

Irene had been fiddling with her blanket after the exchange. Blood had rushed to her cheeks, but she felt like it was everywhere. Her head felt light and her stomach churned. Putting her hand on the space behind the gear stick, Irene sighed and closed her eyes. 'Maybe more sleep will help.' 

Just as she was drifting off to sleep, her hand was covered in warmth, intertwined with the embodiment of blue, and kissed by the lips of love.

Again, she slept with a smile on her face.

 

~

 

The memory of how they first met has blurred over time, but Wendy will always remember the feeling of how it felt almost too natural to hold Irene's hand. They had shaken hands after resolving a fight - about what, she can't recall - and she couldn't help but feel comforted by the electricity that flowed through Irene Bae's hands. Irene had let out a small gasp then; from the same feeling or because Wendy's hands were too rough from baking, Wendy will never know.

(It's not like she wanted to know. Her rough hands have always been one of her biggest insecurities, but Irene said they were fine. So she gained confidence and held the older girl's hand more often.)

She remembers how Irene used to have unintentional sleepovers at Wendy's house. They'd come home from a long day at school and Irene would ask for help from Wendy; she really couldn't understand Mathematics back then. Wendy would do her best to teach Irene, yet her efforts proved to be fruitless when Irene would admit that she didn't listen at all. 

"It's because you're so distracting!"

"In what way? Irene, I'm trying my best to teach you--"

"You looked really attractive, you know? I couldn't focus."

Their tutoring sessions would end with Wendy blushing madly while Irene would try over and over again to solve the complex problem until she fell asleep. Wendy never had the hear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter