Final.

The Otaku and The Librarian

 

 

Jihoon sighs for the umpteenth time that day as he sees the ever so familar figure coming in the library. His blue hair and brown eyes that can’t be mistaken for anyone else; definitely not the thick rimmed glasses and track suit he wore every time without fail. He smiles and waves at Jihoon and proceeds to his usual hideout, the manga section. Jihoon rolls his eyes, sure the guy was a regular but he swears that the boy has to visit the library at least once a day. He visits so much that Jihoon is surprised he hasn’t read everything in that section already, honestly. How does one even read that much imaginary crap every day without getting tired of it.

Jihoon is used to the boy’s routine by this point. He comes in at 5 PM and waves to Jihoon, heads over to the manga section and searches around for a certain manga and sits down on the floor, leaning against the bookshelf and reads it for an hour before looking for the next volume and doing the same. After 3 volumes, he gets up to look around before going back and borrowing the next volume and only that volume. With that, he waves Jihoon good bye before leaving the library to only repeat the process again the very next day. Except today, he only reads one volume and leaves after bidding Jihoon good bye. Jihoon props his elbow on the counter and rests his chin on the palm of his hand. It felt weird without the guy, Jihoon admitted to himself. It felt weird to not see the guy overreacting to everything that was happening in the story he was reading. It just felt odd.

The boy doesn’t come today and it throws Jihoon off. Instead, a man with tousled faded blue hair comes in at 7:15 PM and Jihoon swears he looks familiar but he can’t quite put his finger on it. The said man had small slanted eyes, the eye shape reminding Jihoon of 10:10 and was wearing a loose black T-shirt with some band on it, tight and Jihoon means tight black skinny jeans, a red leather jacket and black boots. If the man didn’t catch Jihoon’s attention the moment he walked in then he definitely did when he went to the manga section and sat down exactly where the boy usually sits. No way, this has to be a coincidence, Jihoon thinks. Yeah, a lot of people read manga, not just that guy. Jihoon shakes his head and softly smacks his cheeks a few times before going back to work. He doesn’t forget to check on the man, however. When he does, he sees the man overreacting just like the other guy does. There’s no mistake about it, it’s him. After his reading routine, he goes to the desk with a book in hand and smiles at Jihoon as usual. 

“Jihoon is it?” He hands the short boy the book before reaching for his wallet.

“That’s my name.” Jihoon says with a tint of sass. The man smiles as he puts his library card on the table and watches as Jihoon scan his library card before putting a return notice and hand him his book and card back.

“Sorry for coming so late, I usually finish dancing classes at 4, go home to take a shower then head here after.” The man smiles shyly as he scratches the back of his neck.

“It’s not like I expect you to be here at 5 everyday.” Jihoon says leaning over the counter, head in the palm of his hands. 

“I know, I just find it cute that your ears perk up when you hear the door opening at 5 and how you often steal glances at me.” He says cheekily while somehow pushing both of his hands in the front pockets of his jeans. 

“And I find it hilarious to see you angry over a comic.” Jihoon snorts while rolling his eyes. 

“Glad to be of service, Mr. Lee.” He smiles widely that Jihoon questions how his mouth can do such a thing. Here he is, in front of the weeaboo that knows his full name meanwhile Jihoon can only refer to him as “that guy”, “the weeaboo” or “that nerd that sits in the far corner of the library and reads the awful stories”.

“What’s your name anyway.” The taller takes his hands out of his pockets to only put them into his back pockets instead, all while rocking back and forth on his heels. 

“Call me Hoshi.” Jihoon rolls his eyes for the nth time that day.

“Not your weeaboo , your actual name.”

“What if Hoshi was my actual name?” He says with a pout. Jihoon swears the man is actually five years old at this point without much debate. “It’s Kwon Soonyoung.”

“Soonyoung.” Jihoon says, as if testing out how it felt to slip off his tongue. “Not bad for a weeaboo.”

“Uh uh uh, I’m an OTAKU not a weeaboo.” Soonyoung says as he wags his index finger at Jihoon. Jihoon fights the urge to smack his hand away just because it’s deemed rude in a work place. 

“If you say so.” Jihoon has lost interest in the conversation at this point, he adjusts his name tag and looks around for something to do at the front counter. All while Soonyoung was looking for something in his pockets. Jihoon notices and raises an eyebrow.

“Darn, I must of put it somewhere. Can you help me find it?” Soonyoung says as he makes his way over to his hangout spot, frantically searching for something. 

“I guess I really have no choice, huh?” Jihoon says, obviously annoyed, but goes to help the poor man anyway. “What are we looking for anyway.”

Soonyoung pulls out 10 books, giving 5 of them to Jihoon, then carefully searches through his five. “A bookmark. It has this super cute girl named Asuna. She has beautiful light orange hair and has white and red clothing.”

Jihoon rolls his eyes again as he looks for the item described. He grabs the first book he sees, which happens to be some mystery manga based on a video game called ‘Dangan Ronpa’. He flips through the book but stops on a page with a pink note. There is careful handwriting and a small doodle on the small stationary.
“It’s no mystery why I fell for you.”1 Jihoon scrunches his face as he takes the note out and puts it beside him. What kind of weirdo leaves confession notes in library books?

He puts the mystery manga down next to the stack and takes the next one by the name of 'Say I Love You’. He cringes at the name but looks through it anyway. He finds another pink note with the same handwriting and hearts drawn all over, except it was a different message.

“I won’t say that I love you, not yet at least, but I’ll say that I adore seeing you everyday!”2
Jihoon looks over at Soonyoung to only see him deep in thought, still searching away. Jihoon shrugs, it could just be a stalker of some sort. Jihoon continues this for the rest of the books and he ends up with five notes at the end of it. 
One from Naruto, “I have to do my best! In front of the person I admire the most, who’s finally seeing the real me!”3
One from One Punch Man, “Even though I’m not as strong as Saitama, I can still be your hero!”4
And one from Free!, “I need you in my life more than Haru needs water!”5
Jihoon sighs as he looks through them again then looks at Soonyoung. The boy, looking tired, lets out a groan. The taller looks over at Jihoon and shows a surprised expression as he sees pink notes in Jihoon’s hand.

“Ooh what are those?” He says, pointing at them. Jihoon hands then over to the other and waits as he reads the notes. Soonyoung smiles and laughs loudly at the jokes. “Man, this person is really funny. You should go find out who did this.”

“Maybe I will.” Jihoon says as he gets up from his spot to walk over to the computer at the front desk with Soonyoung following in pursuit. He quickly searches for the last person that checked the book out, silently waiting as the screen loaded. He freezes as a name pops up, the name is definitely familiar, extremely familiar. Jihoon taps his fingers on the desk then looks up at the crook. Soonyoung looks at him innocently, waiting for Jihoon’s answer. The shorter lets out a sigh as he turns the computer screen around so Soonyoung can see. He raises his hands up in defense, acting as if he was a child that took cookies out of the cookie jar without asking.

“You caught me, Officer Lee.” He gives an exasperated look as he dramatically puts a hand over his forehead while looking away. “Take me away for falling for an officer.” Jihoon wants to call an actual officer just because of the man’s horrible acting but decides against it last second. “So, what’d you think? Want to go out on a date with me?” He leans over the counter and stares straight at Jihoon. Jihoon leans backward, away from Soonyoung. 

“If it makes you stop leaving awful love confessions inside of those books then fine.”

“Yay! Achievement unlocked, I got myself a boyfriend!” Soonyoung yells excitedly all while bouncing up and down like the five year old he is deep down in that twenty year old body. Jihoon closes his eyes and rubs his temples because of the sight in front of him. He was already regretting his decision, not even a second later.

 

Kwon Soonyoung is an Otaku   not a weeaboo​   and Lee Jihoon is his boyfriend who has to deal with him everyday.

 


 

1 The line in the story, “It’s no mystery why I fell for you.” refers to the fact that Dangan Ronpa is a murder mystery game.

2 The line in the story, “I won’t say that I love you, not yet at least, but I’ll say that I adore seeing you everyday!” refers to the manga turned anime Say I Love You. It follows a girl named Mei Tachibana and how she's avoiding any relations in her school life. Later, she meets a boy named Yamato Kurasawa who slowly breaks down her walls. The story follows their developing relationship, as well as their frequent disagreements, to portray how difficult it can really be to say "I love you." Also, there's a little bit of a reference to Seventeen's Adore U in this pick up line in the story.

3 The line in the story, “I have to do my best! In front of the person I admire the most, who’s finally seeing the real me!” is a direct quote from Hinata Hyuga in Naruto. Hinata is a shy girl that has romantic feelings for the manga's protagonist, Naruto Uzumaki, who doesn't think of her as more than a friend till later in Naruto Shippuden.

4 The line in the story, “Even though I’m not as strong as Saitama, I can still be your hero!” refers to the protagonist Saitama from One Punch Man. Saitama is a hero in the webcomic/manga/anime that possesses godly strength; ultimately beating all his enemies with one punch. He is said to be the most powerful hero alive.

5 The line in the story, “I need you in my life more than Haru needs water! refers to the anime Free! one of the main protagonists of the anime, Haruka Nanase, could be described to be obsessed with water.