Chapter 6 - Another Interruption

Secret Heart

*original pic is not mine, I just edited it*
.....................................................................

Chapter 6
Another Interruption

The next day we are interrupted again but, this time, it isn't Phun's maybe-sort of-but possibly not fiancee. In the middle of finalizing the plans for our business trip, the heavy door to his office is thrown open and an older gentleman with gray touching his neatly styled black hair and a dignified air walks in like he owns the place. There's no announcement or forewarning or harried secretary chasing after him. He simply walks in with confidence and lets the door shut behind him.

Turning back to Phun, I expect to see irritation or anger at this forward behavior but I see neither. His eyes widen in what looks like panic for a split second before his calm mask covers any emotions he might be having. I would have missed it if I didn't know him so well. The chair scrapes the floor as he pushes away from the desk and stands up. When he gives the man a respectful wai in greeting, I follow his example even though I'm still very confused. Who the hell is this that can make Phun practically quake in their boots?

Neither say a word as they walk over to sit in the comfortable chairs by the window. I'm not sure if I should follow them or stay where I am or make a break for the door to escape the tense atmosphere. Deciding that it might be better to give them some privacy, I head for the door but pause before opening it to look back at the two silent men.

"Would either of you care for something to drink or eat? I can fetch it for you," I manage to say after gathering a bit of courage.

"Chailai is already taking care of that. You may leave," the older man orders flatly without looking at me but I automatically bow anyway in response. He is an elder.

"Noh, you can stay. This shouldn't take long and we still need to go over the final details," Phun counters the order and the look he gives tells me not to argue. Whoever the other guy is, Phun is still my boss so I step away from the door. "Father, this is my assistant, Noh. Noh, this is my father, Niran Phumipat."

"This is family business, son. Your assistant doesn't need to hear this." He accepts my wai of respect but the tone the man uses sets my teeth on edge. I remind myself that this is Phun's father and I need to keep my cool.

"Father, it's fine." Phun countermands again. He looks me in the eyes and gestures back to the desk. "Sit back down, Noh."

I follow Phun's order while eyeing the other man curiously out of the corner of my eye. There isn't much similarity between the two to indicate that they are father and son, maybe a bit around the eyes and their air of confidence. His father is obviously not pleased with Phun going against him in front of me but doesn't say anything further about it.

"I heard from Khun Atid that his daughter was acting out of sorts after her visit with you. She has always been a very calm and obedient girl. What did you say to her, Phun?" Khun Niran's voice is rife with frustration and I could see the crease in his brow even from across the room. The conversation between Phun and Khun Aim is still crystal clear in my mind and I can understand why the girl might be second guessing her parents' choices for her. Apparently, she is giving Phun's parting advice some serious thought.

"We didn't talk very much. I hardly know the girl, Father."

"That is the whole point of these meetings, Son. You are supposed to get to know each other." He waves a hand in front of him in exasperation. "What did you say to make her so upset? Whatever it is, you must apologize immediately."

"Father..." Leaning forward, Phun starts to respond when his father's phone rings loudly from his pocket.

"Hold that thought for one moment." His father retrieves the phone and looks to see who is calling. He gives Phun a stony stare that sends shivers down my spine. "Damn, it's Khun Atid."

The man stands and steps to the side to take the call. Phun turns towards me with a reassuring smile but I don't know if he's trying to reassure me or himself. This whole mess is too confusing and I'm feeling all kinds of awkward listening in on this conversation. His father is right. I don't belong here. I don't but I won't leave Phun to sit through this alone, no matter how uncomfortable I feel.

As his father continues to talk, getting more agitated with each sentence, Aunt Chailai quietly brings in a tray of drinks. She sets two of them down on the coffee table between Phun and his father before coming over to hand me one, too. I don't know how she knew that I would stay. It is one of the great mysteries that she always seems to know everything. With an encouraging pat on my head, she gives a half smile and leaves the room.

"Well, that's that." Phun's father sits down with a huff and slouches back. If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it's the same man that came in all stiff with formality. Wiping a hand over his face, he eyes Phun and slowly starts laughing until he's so loud that the sound fills the whole room. Has he lost his mind? "You can stop fighting me about getting married now. Your obedient and lovely fiancee has run away... with another woman."

"What?!" I couldn't help my squawk of shock and almost tumble out of my chair. There's no way that I heard that correctly. Khun Niran ignores my outburst, or didn't hear it over his own laughter. My boss is still staring at his father like he's waiting for the punchline.

"She eloped?"

"Yes, with some woman named Mo that she went to school with. Her father is furious."

"So, I don't have to get married anymore?" Phun asks slowly to make sure he doesn't misunderstand the situation.

"No. It's not like I would force you to marry a girl already in love with someone else." His father shakes his head and takes a sip of his coffee. All in all, I thought he'd be more angry over this betrayal. He's the one who was pushing Phun into this marriage. "I don't know what is wrong with the younger generation. Why don't you just speak up and tell us the truth? It's not like we're mind readers... well, except for Great Aunt Pam, but the rest of us aren't."

I'm not going to ask. Nope. Not a word. No matter how intriguing that little tidbit about Phun's auntie may be, I'm not saying a word... but now I really want to meet her.

"I'm glad she's chasing after her happiness," Phun says, finally relaxing for the first time since his father arrived. A huge weight must have been lifted off his shoulders at the news.

"It's a fine thing but I wish she would have said something before we started the wedding talks." Setting his cup down, Khun Niran looks intently at his son. "I know you weren't happy with our choice for you but I had hoped it would have worked out. You haven't had a steady relationship and work all the time. Your mother and I would like to see you settled down and happy."

"Obviously, Khun Aim was not the best choice for my life partner. I have the wrong equipment for her to be happy," Phun responds dryly and I about blush that he made such a comment to his father. It doesn't bother his father a bit.

"Like I said, we aren't mind readers," his father responds with another laugh. "You will tell me if you find someone, won't you? Your mother worries that you will end up a cranky old bachelor."

"I actually have already found someone, Father." After a long pause, Phun finally admits this to his father and I feel a sharp pinch in my chest. Telling his father means that Phun is serious about someone even though he hasn't told me who it is, yet. The thought that there is someone out there that will be close to Phun, that he'll share everything with, darkens my mood though I'm not sure why it should.

"Really?" His father, on the other hand, straightens abruptly and shows his first bit of excitement since entering the room. "Who is it? You must bring this person 'round for dinner soon."

"I haven't confessed yet." Running a hand through his hair, Phun glances at me before looking back at his father. It is a shy glance like he's embarrassed to admit that his heart's been stolen or because he hasn't even given me a clue as to who this special person is. "As soon as I do, if I get a positive response, I'll let you know when we can come for a meal."

"I see..." Khun Niran gives me a strange, speculative look that makes me want to hide behind Phun. Why is he looking at me like that? Does he think I know who Phun is talking about? I don't! Stop looking at me! As I break out into a sweat, he looks at Phun with a wide smile. "I look forward to hearing good news from you... soon. Your mother and I would like to get to know your special someone."

"Of course, Father." Phun meets his father's eyes and they have a weird silent exchange where they both start grinning identical grins, as if coming to an understanding. I'm at a loss but very happy to see that this meeting between the two Phumipat men is coming to an end. One Phumipat is difficult enough to deal with. Two is overwhelming. I stand when they do and follow several steps behind them to the door.

"Noh, isn't it?" Khun Niran asks as I give him a wai.

"Yes, Khun Phumipat." I'm surprised he remembers my name and that he's addressing me. I didn't do anything wrong, did it? Thinking back, I can't recall doing anything wrong outside of staying in the room when he originally wanted me to leave. He's not going to yell at me over that, is he?

"Why don't you just call me father like Phun does? It's more comfortable as we will be seeing a lot of each other and it's easier since there is more than one Phumipat." He claps a hand on my shoulder expectantly and I'm forced to comply. It would be rude to deny an elder.

"If you insist. Thank you...Father." It doesn't quite roll of my tongue easily and I can feel my ears turning red. I don't think it is usual for assistants to call their boss's father so intimately. Khun Niran seems pleased though and Phun is grinning from ear to ear. Are all the Phumipats like this? I don't really mind but it will take some getting use to.