Sorry, I was an Idiot

Sweeter than Honey

The streets were especially silent tonight, Chaeyoung though with a scoff.

She was strolling down the brightly lit slope, enjoying the peaceful silence that just seemed to elude her these past few days. They were preparing for their comeback which was in a month. Cheer Up, honestly the last thing Chaeyoung wants to hear at this time. She sighs, kicking despondently at the ground, mind returning to what she was desperately trying to steer clear of. "Stupid," Chaeyoung mutters under her breath, wincing in pain when she kicks a brick that she missed due to her dark thoughts and dimmer path. She was often told that time healed all wounds so why was she still hung up over what happened in the kitchen that night. It had been quite long after that incident. "Maybe not long enough," She supplies her own mind, sighing again heavily through her nose when the wind picks up, blowing her hair into her face. Even nature was against her, Chaeyoung rolled her eyes, and loudly told the sky," It's not like I wanted to fall for her anyway!" When the thunder sounded in the distance and lighting rolled across the previously cloudless sky, Chaeyoung only cursed softly and ran the remaining distance to her destination. Panting at the door, she looks up to see the banner announcing their comeback date and a small board nearby counting down to that time. "Right, it has been that long..." She smiles to herself, light not reaching her eyes as she pushed open the glass doors and entered the JYP building.

It had been a month since she started avoiding Mina.

Don't get her wrong, she wasn't keeping track of the time, not at all, but it was almost an impossible task, being in the same group as her, sleeping in the same house even. But Chaeyoung had done it. And it had been completely excruciating, not being able to speak with her, play with her, be with her. Chaeyoung gritted her teeth as she finished her last rep in the gymnasium, refusing to dwell on such thoughts even if they had been plaguing her a lot more frequently then she would have preferred. Her body was already numb from the numerous excersies she had forced herself through when she heard someone call her name. That was the only warning she got before she was tackled to the floor, a comfortable and familiar weight on top of hers. "Somi, I can't breathe," Chaeyoung barely managed to choke out, already exhausted beforehand. "Sorry!" Scrambling off, Chaeyoung's best friend plopped down next to the prone body on the floor, turning a little bit to face her. Chaeyoung turned as well, missing the bright ball of energy that had, since 4 months ago, moved into the nation's new girl group, IOI's ,dormitory. "How's life?" Somi was the first to ask, only receiving a noncommittal shrug from Chaeyoung. "It's going, I suppose?" The answer had been vague but Somi did not miss the flash of pain that vanished from Chaeyoung's eyes as quickly as it came. But since she did not elaborate, Somi respected her privacy and did not pry because when Chaeyoung was ready, she would tell her. "But how's your life? Is it what you thought it would be, IOI?" Chaeyoung sat up, pulling Somi along with her as she reached for her water bottle. "Yeah, oh gods, those girl's are so fun to be with! Just last night-" She stopped, eyes narrowing in concern. "What's wrong, Son Chaeyoung and don't you dare tell me it's nothing."

Because even if Somi had not seen her best friend for 4 months, she could still read her like an open book.

And Somi knew that she was not imagining the hurt look that had crossed Chaeyoung's face in that split second. "Chaeyoung?" She inched closer to the girl who had lowered her head, hair creating a brown curtain to block her face. "Chaeng?" Somi reached out a hand, enclosing it around the other's shaking one while her other lifted Chaeyoung's face by her chin. She was taken aback by the tears shining in the depths of the normally smiling rapper's eyes, lips only just quivering. Somi frowned before pulling her into a tight hug, Chaeyoung's hair softly, whispering, "What's wrong, Chaeyoung-ah?" It was as if a dam broke and Chaeyoung began sobbing into Somi shoulder. "Somi, what should I do? I did something I regret so much but I can't erase it." Somi frowned and placed a gentle kiss on Chaeyoung's forehead before resolutely ordering," Chaeyoung, look at me." When the crying girl finally lifted her head, Somi continued,"Tell me and I swear I'll do what I can to help you." Chaeyoung squeezed her eyes shut, shaking her head but Somi grabbed her shoulders. "Chaeyoung!" She was on the verge of shouting and she could have, it was close to 2 in the morning so she knew there were no longer any people in the JYP entertainment building. Save the person that brought her in but she had probably left. "Chaeyoung, as your best friend, it's my job to support you. Don't tell me you forgot our promise?" Chaeyoung shook her head and Somi scooped her up in a hug before asking quietly," So tell me what's wrong?"

When Chaeyoung started, she found out that she could not stop.

The story came pouring out. About how her control over her actions slipped, how she admitted to her feelings without realising that Mina had been behind her all along, how she was so afraid, so scared that she had lost everything she tried so hard to build with Mina. "She probably- no she hates me, I'm certain of it." Somi sighs, already all too used to how Chaeyoung would always beat herself down, her self-esteem, or lack thereof, getting the best of her. "You haven't tried. I'm sure she won't turn you away." Chaeyoung only curled back up into a ball, hand gripping Somi's so hard it hurt. "I'm scared, Somi. What if she really hates me? I don't know what I'd do if that happens." Somi shook her head ready to counter her when she saw a figure by the door. Her eyes widened, mouth open and ready to call out to her eonnie when she saw the girl gave a quick shake of her head. 'Bring her home soon', the girl mouthed before turning on her heels and exiting the room. Somi only sat rooted to the spot, unable to disobey. Once out of sight, the girl leaned against the wall, feeling a single tear fall onto the ground. "Chaeyoung, you are an idiot."

After watching Mina leave, Somi's attention was brought back to the crying girl.

And when she turned her wide-eyed gaze back to her friend, Somi resolved to only listen, hand never stopping the small circles she was rubbing onto Chaeyoung's lower back. "I worked so hard, Somi, to get her to like me. I don't mind the fact that she will never see me in same the way I see her, I've been living with that for so long. I just can't stand it if she hates me and won't ever talk to me ever again." "Then why don't you talk to her about it?" Chaeyoung pushes her head off Somi's shoulder, looking her dead in the eyes. "Somi-ah, you know it's not that simple. What if she-" "Chaeyoung!" Somi's shout cut across her words, shocking the crying girl into silence. She sighed, continuing in a quieter tone," Did you know that Mina eonnie was the one that brought me here?" Chaeyoung's eyebrows scrunched in confusion. "I thought she was sleeping in the dorm?" Somi rolled her eyes, lightly flicking her best friend in the forehead. "Well, she wasn't. And you know what that means." Chaeyoung just shakes her head like a lost puppy, blinking in confusion. "It means you might have a chance." Chaeyoung blinks again, mouth opening but no words comes out. "Now, get up. She was here just now, if you run, you should be able to catch up to her." "She's out in the streets alone? What if-?" "Chaeng! Just go!" Somi chuckles, kicking her lightly towards the door. "You'll be fine, right?" Chaeyoung sticks her head back through the door and Somi laughs lightly. "Yes yes, this is my home after all." Chaeyoung just smiles again, dimples showing, light finally reaching her eyes.

It was only after jogging for about 5 minutes did Chaeyoung finally catch up to her beloved eonnie.

And when she did, she realised that she had nothing to say, skidding to a stop just a few steps behind her. Chaeyoung finally allowed herself a moment to take a deep breath. She saw how Mina stopped, even if it was just for a second and continued on again at a slower pace. Mina knew she was there but was she even ready to talk to her? Chaeyoung didn't think so. Suddenly, Somi's words, for all their importance, meant nothing to her when she saw the bane of her existence. It could go either way, Mina would act like nothing happened in the month before. Or she would ignore Chaeyoung completely, writing her entire existence off entirely. Maybe, just maybe she would look at her the same way she did? Chaeyoung preferred the first option because the second would absolutely kill her while the third would just be too far out of her reach, too deep in the recesses her imagination. She huffed a laugh under her breath, shaking her head. She should have stayed back at the gym, maybe it would ha-. "Where do you think you're going?" Chaeyoung froze, mind grinding to a screeching halt. Mina was behind her. Since when had Mina been behind her? Chaeyoung blinked, body refusing to comply with her wishes to turn around. So she did the next best thing. "Eonnie." She greets lamely because, honestly what else was there to say? "Chaeyoung." She hears Mina's cool reply, feels her footsteps coming closer, sees her shadow directly behind her underneath the yellowish-orange glow of the streetlight.

Chaeyoung wills herself to move something, say anything.

She just wants nothing more than to dissolve the tension she feels wrapping around , it was so thick she was sure even a chainsaw couldn't cut through it. She doesn't move, doesn't realise Mina's already standing in front of her until she's practically breathing the same air as her. Chaeyoung startles, making to move back when Mina's hands clamp around her wrist, vice-like. Which was funny, because Chaeyoung knew without a doubt that she would not be able to run away even if she wanted to, Mina could just stop her with a word, she still had that much control over her, and that hadn't changed one bit. "Stop running, please." Mina whispers to her, Chaeyoung could feel her breath, something sweet and warm not unlike cotton candy, hitting her forehead. She shakes her head, for the lack of a better thing to say. "You haven't?" Chaeyoung hears rather than sees the eyebrow that she was sure disappeared under Mina's fringe. "I thought..." She begins, suddenly not knowing where to start. She stalls, feeling her already palpitating heartbeat skyrocket when Mina leans closer, patiently waiting for her to make the first move. "You thought?" She prompted, voice low, almost a soft purr. Chaeyoung gulps, thankful for the deserted street that they were currently at because Lord knows what would happen if people actually saw them in this position, two members of a rising girl group in a rather compromising position. "Chaeng?" She feels the tension that curls tighter around her windpipe and takes a shuddering breath. "I thought... that you were disgusted." She first admits in a flat voice before continuing in a voice so soft that Mina still has to strain her ears despite their close distance. "At me for loving you." Chaeyoung lowers her head so much that her chin almost touched her chest.

Chaeyoung thinks Mina was going to slap her.

Or maybe kill her? Push her away? Anyone would, she reasons to her crumbling mind, after keeping silent to such an admission for so long. "I love you." Chaeyoung's head's shoots up in shock only to meet Mina's tearful gaze. "I love you," She repeats, voice cracking a little at the end. "So much and it hurts me so much to hear such things coming from you." Chaeyoung's eyes widen so much, it hurts but she pays it no mind, full concentration on the words spilling out of Mina's mouth. "You have no idea how long I've love you, Chaeyoung." She lets out a short hysterical laugh, so different from how she normally is, that Chaeyoung finds it hard to believe that the Mina in front of her is the same Mina that had been plaguing her thoughts. "I didn't know how to approach you at first, you were so talented and adorable. And out of my league. I felt uncomfortable in the beginning when you would just walk by with Somi after greeting me. I couldn't even greet you back properly then, my Korean was so poor." Chaeyoung frowned at the tear that fell in between them, landing on the dry road. "You were like an angel, my angel. I didn't know how I could fall so deeply for anyone. But I fell for you, along with all your adorable antics. I can't explain it even if you asked but-" Chaeyoung finally heard enough, everything in her wanted to stem the tears that were dripping down Mina's face.

That was what made her surge fowards, crashing onto Mina's lips.

There was no more maybe , no more doubt. Mina squeaked in surprise, allowing Chaeyoung to push her against the brick wall. Chaeyoung had never kissed Mina before nor did she even dare dream of it but fitted against her so perfectly she wondered if they were made for each other. She feels Mina finally smile into the kiss, hands letting go of hers to pull her closer by the hips. Finally, they parted, Chaeyoung leaning her chin on Mina's shoulder. "I've always wanted to do that." She quietly admits, reaching up, threading her fingers through Mina's soft maroon locks. "Same here." She hears Mina laugh just as quietly, almost as if she was afraid to break the calm quietness that had befallen them. "I'm sorry I made you wait, eonnie." Chaeyoung just buried her face deeper into Mina's neck, voice muffled but Mina can feel the frown in the juncture of her neck. "The longer you wait, the better the reward, isn't it?" She playfully nudges the midget in her arms, successfully eliciting a soft giggle from Chaeyoung. "Now, let's go back. We may have no schedule tomorrow but I know Jihyo eonnie's not gonna be happy if she wakes up to find us missing." Mina pushes Chaeyoung off gently, holding her hand tightly in her own, pulling her down the street. As the sun slowly illuminates the previously dark sky, Chaeyoung only smiles and hugs her arms close, tip-toeing to plant a chaste peck on Mina's cheek. "I wouldn't mind, I'll be scolded with you after all." Mina only rolls her eyes but the bright smile on her face could rival the sun, Chaeyoung was sure. "Love you, Chaeng." She feels the rapper thread her fingers through her own, and sees a small smile on her face as well. "Love you most, eonnie. Probably more than you love your ketchup." "YAH SON CHAEYOUNG!"