I Am Death

I Am Death

Darkness as far as the eye can see, the stench of the undead invading your senses, ear-piercing screams of agony of the forgotten ones. This is the Underworld, and the one who rules it all. Yeomra, King of the Underworld.

......

Yeomra groans from his throne, being bored of his position as king. Sure it was a splendid life, servants attending to your every whim, an elegant palace (if you can describe a black palace made of bones elegant), and a beautiful wife. But somehow sitting on his throne all day actually drained all his energy without even doing anything.

When he had just started off as the God of Death, he was dreadfully excited to judge souls and execute sinners, just as his predecessor before him. But as more souls were given the title "Undead", he had more servants to do all these and more, successfully robbing him of a job. Now he was more of a figurehead for the Underworld than the actual ruler of it.

He sighed some more and rubbed his temples, he needed some kind of release, he needed excitement, he needed death. He was sick and tired of just sitting on this damned throne and looking pretty for the one in the skies. Hell! The servants had more things to do than him! He was going to have some fun no matter what it took.

He smirked at the thought of his upcoming rebellion, it was clear that his decision would undoubtedly strip him of his position as King. But it did not matter, he had nothing to do anyway. He stood and prepared for his plans. When a figure started to approach him.

Yeomra scoffed, "What do you want Bones?". Bones, as he was called, was Yeomra's most trusted servant. But as trustworthy as he was, Yeomra found him extremely fussy about him and his whereabouts.

"Your Majesty, Master Grim wishes to see you" Bones bowed deeply. He was literally what he was called, bones. He was brought to life as an undead by Yeomra himself, and he could've put more effort and gave him skin, hair and a face. But Yeomra saw no need for this, all the other undead were like this and no human would ever see him.

Yeomra rolled his eyes, "Why did he not come here himself? He is perfectly capable of doing so". Bones stood up, "It seems he cannot, your majesty".

Yeomra raised an eyebrow, "And why not?". Bones tilted his head to the side, making some bones crack in the process, "Well....."

......

"What in bloody hell happend to you?!?", Yeomra exclaimed. The Grim Reaper, Yeomra's Messenger of Death was on the floor, bones scattered and disembodied, his scythe a stone's throw away and broken.

Grim laughed heartily. "Why hello your majesty! It seems I appeared especially appetizing to Cerberus today and mauled me til I was no more". Glancing at Cerberus in the corner whining about being punished.

Yeomra's eyebrow's knit together, obviously worried about his friend. He knelt down to where Grim's skull was and held it, "You are able to get yourself back together, yes?". "Of course your majesty!", Grim replied. "But not at the moment.....", he continued. "Why?", Yeomra asked warily.

Grim glanced once again at Cerberus, "Aside from mauling me, Cerberus found that some of my bones, especially the femur, was incredibly delicious and swallowed it whole". Yeomra dropped Grim's skull, inciting an Ouch! from him upon impact.

Yeomra's brain wracked. "Does..does that mean you won't be able to fetch souls?", he asked. The other servants collecting Grim's bones and broken scythe looked at their King cautiously, Bones in particular approcahed him.

"Do not worry you majesty, we will find a suitable replacement for Grim Reaper immediately, he will be silent, he will be deadly, he will............", Yeomra stopped listening. If Grim was incapacitated, he would not be able to do his job. His job which would include fetching souls from the human world. The human world where all kinds of exciting things happen. Yeomra smiled, he was finally getting what he wanted.

"I will ascend to the human world!", he exclaimed proudly. Interrupting Bones' rant and making the servants drop the bones they were collecting.

Bones' jaw fell to the ground, literally. He picked it back up quickly, "You-Your Majesty! There is no need for that! We will find a replacement! You should simply relax here in the Underworld!"

Yeomra whipped his head to Bones. "When have I ever done anything in this hellhole Bones? When?!? I finally have the chance to have some fun around here and I will not pass it up!", he bellowed. Bones' mouth shut, he knew there would be no arguing with him now.

"Now, pack up my things! We leave for the human world tomorrow!"

......

Yeomra entered his bedroom, careful not to wake his wife if he was ever sleeping. His room was the only room in the entire palace that was particularly normal, using light pastel colors for the curtains and sheets instead of black and using light oak for the furniture instead of bones. This was all intended for the comfort of his wife who would be staying here. There was rustling in his bed, and a figure curled into a ball under the covers. He approched and sat on the bed.

The figure stirred and popped his head out of the covers. Yeomra smiled, his wife was as beautiful as ever. "Hyesung dear, I have some exciting news for you!" he said excitedly.

Hyesung sat up, revealing his toned yet fair skin and broad shoulders. Yeomra's wife, Shin Hyesung, was actually a male. It did not matter to Yeomra though, as Hyesung was as beautiful as any woman out there. He found him wandering near the River Styx and almost falling in. Yeomra immediately ran to catch him before he did and since then fell in love with the beautiful man. Unfortunately, he found that this man was incapable of speech and had an incredibly dark aura, whenever he walked the ground he stepped on would die. Yeomra took him to Grim to examine him and found that this human had no soul, yet he was not undead. Grim deduced that this man was Death personified, a being whose touch could kill any and all living things. Of course this was no problem for Yeomra, as he dealt witht he dead all his life. Yet he wondered where this man had come from and why he had ended up near the Styx. Still, Yeomra was in love and took him in as his wife, curing his loneliness for a short while.

Hyesung rubbed his eyes and looked up expectantly at Yeomra. Yeomra chuckled, Hyesung had bags under his eyes, even more than usual, which probably meant he played with Cerberus all night.

He snuggled closer to Hyesung. "Didn't you always tell me that you wanted to go somewhere and leave the Underworld?". Hyesung's eyes lit up and he nodded furiously.

"Well....", Yeomra started. "It seems that Grim is currently....." Yeomra looked for the right words to say, "...out of sorts right now and is working on putting himself back together", Yeomra smiled.

Hyesung tilted his head, knitting his eyebrows. "It's nothing to worry about my dear, he will be fine. But in the meantime, there is no one to fetch souls in the human world". Yeomra shook his head for effect.

Hyesung sat up straighter, excitement evident in his eyes. Yeomra continued, "So I guess, that I'll have to take his place". Hyesung squealed in delight and jumped up from the bed. Yeomra grinned, and he decided to tease his little bride.

"But unfortunately, it is a very dangerous job and I require the utmost concentration, so I will have to ascend alone", he sighed and took a sideways glance at Hyesung.

Hyesung stopped celebrating and pouted, he kneeled near the bed and took Yeomra's hand and cupped it to his face. He pulled out his best puppy dog eyes and basically begged Yeomra to take him with him.

Yeomra could not resist and pulled Hyesung to the bed trapping him beneath himself, Hyesung giggled. Yeomra cupped his face and kissed him softly, Hyesung leaned into the kiss. Yeomra pulled back and stared at Hyesung's face, noting how lucky he is to have him. Hyesung in turn leaned into the hand cupping his face and stared right back.

"Alright then!", he exclained. "It's decided, I shall take the place of Grim Reaper and I shall bring you with me!", he rolled off the bed and started for the door.

"Hyesung, you should start packing your things now. I still have to take care of matters here before we leave". Hyesung nodded fervently and dashed to the wardrobe.

Yeomra left and headed to the throne room.

......

Yeomra sat down upon his throne and called for Bones, "Have The Four Horsemen arrived?", he asked. "Yes, your majesty, they have just arrived after finshing their rounds", Bones explained.

Yeomra clapped his hands, "Excellent! Call them here". Bones called a crow and sent for it to fetch the horsemen.

Not long after, the Four Horsemen arrived, their galloping horses thundering through the throne room.

Yeomra frowned, why couldn't they just leave their horses outside?

Yeomra stood from his throne and proceeded to greet the men. "Conquest, War, Famine and Death, I welcome you back to the palace", he smiled. "But why couldn't you leave your steed outside?"

War spoke up, his hollow voice shaking Bones' to the core. "With all due respect your majesty, these horses are a part of us, we will not be the Four Horsemen without them". Yeomra nodded his understanding.

"Very well, as you may have heard, Grim Reaper is immobilized and I will take his place", Yeomra stated, but the horsemen's faces were unreadable. He continued "Therefore, you will take my place here while I am in the human world", Yeomra's gaze sweeped from horseman to horseman. The men did the same.

Famine's rasping voice spoke up, "Which one of us do you choose, your majesty?". Yeomra raised an eyebrow, "All of you of course", he answered simply. "You are the Four Horsemen, I believe it is all or nothing with you four"

Death hissed and Conquest scoffed, Famine stayed quiet. Bones whispered to Yeomra, "With all due respect, your majesty, this is not a good idea. The Four Horsemen do not always agree with eachother". "Nonsense Bones, they must get along well with eachother, they're the Four Horsemen", he whispered back.

Yeomra faced the men, "Now that thats over with, I wish you all goodluck to your rule and farewell!", he said stepping out of the throne room. Bones shivered as soon as he left already dreading the future ahead.

......

Yeomra and Hyesung stood near the entrance to the Doors of Death, once they stepped through here they would be entering the human world. If Yeomra had a heart it would've leapt out in excitement by now.

He looked over at Hyesung and found that he was trembling, he held his hands "Are you okay?". Hyesung looked up at him, expression unreadable. "It's going to be fine, you're gonna be okay".

Yeomra knew exactly what Hyesung was worried about. His ability to kill with just a single touch. But Yeomra would make sure that nothing unplanned would happen, he'll make sure of it.

He held Hyesung's hand and sent a reassuring smile to Hyesung. He then yelled to the gatekeeper "Open the Doors!!"

The Doors of Death opened to reveal light shining through and the chatter of humans on the other side. Hyesung's eyes lit up and Yeomra prompted him to go forward. He did and Yeomra followed soon after.

From now on, they would live in the world of the living and who knows what would happen there....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, the infamous first chapter. Forgive me guys if anything seemed wrong (>.<) But let me expalin a few things:

I decided to use the Korean God of Death (Yeomra) as Eric's name but integrated all kinds of mythology here (Grim Reaper, Cerberus, River Styx, Four Horsemen, to make it interesting) Once he's in the human world though he'll be Eric again. :) (BTW it's up to you how you'd like Eric to look like as Yeomra)

Hyesung's look is still the normal Hyesung, as he is human. And if you think its too serious, I'll try to lower down the seriousness in the next chapters :)

Comment if you can please! :3