Are You Still There?

Are You Still There?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“...Hey. Are you still there? You've been really quiet for awhile now,” I said as I carefully tucked the phone on my shoulder. I heard her gasp slightly and her laughter chimed after.

“Sorry, Jimin! I was distracted  by the leaves. They're so pretty this time of year.”

“Yeah,” I replied while looking out my window. It was autumn. The leaves just began to fall off the trees. An array of reds, yellows, and oranges fluttered to the ground. My thoughts were interrupted by a doorbell ringing on the other side of the line.

“Ah!” she said. “My brother's here! I have to go now. I'll see you after I come home from the hospital.”

“Alright. See you later, bye.” All that followed was an ‘alright’ and a giggle, then the clicking of the phone.

 

             The long strenuous beeps of the line connecting rang in my ear.

“Hello? Hey! How have you been? Have you been taking care of yourself?” I smiled at the ground and leaned on the mint green wall of my kitchen.

“I hope so! ‘Cause if not, I’m going over there! Haha…” I trailed off before allowing a serious tone wash over me. “Look, if you ever need anything, I’ll be here… ok?” I smiled again and nodded several times. “I just wanted to check up on you. I'll talk to you soon! Bye!”

 

“Hey! What’s up? Are you still coming today?” I asked while whipping the eggs that I had cracked in the bowl. “The boys really want to see you again. They miss you. Taehyung and Yoongi finally found themselves a girl. Haha, I think you’ll make some more friends today…” I poured the eggs into the bowl of dry ingredients and began to whisk.

“I have a surprise for you when you get here!” I said while smiling. “I’ve got to get back to preparing. I’ll see you soon, alright? Bye!”

 

“Sup? I just got home from visiting my parents’ place,” I said sullenly. I threw my jacket on the couch in frustration. “They told me that I should stop obsessing over you.” I scoffed and sat down on the couch.

“How could I though? You're the love of my life. I don't think they understand that,” I said while crossing my legs in a comfortable position. My expression lightened and I let out a small laugh.

“Yeah, if only they were still young,” I joked. The doorbell rang. I looked over at the door and the sound of the second ring got me on my feet.

“Hold on, someone's at the door,” I said while shuffling over to the door. I looked through the peeping hole and saw Taehyung and Yoongi talking amongst themselves. “Yeah, it wasn’t a prank. It's Tae and Yoongi. I'll call you back later, alright? Bye, jagi!”

 

The small animal barked at me as I waited for the line to connect. I bent down to eye level and stared at the toy poodle. I smiled and lightly pat the top of its head.

“Hello? Hey! Guess what I have?” I asked with excitement apparent in my voice. The dog yipped and ran in circles.

“Did you hear it? Yeah, I got a puppy,” I grinned while watching the dog run around the living room of my apartment. “Want to help me name it?” I walked towards the dog and scooped it up into my arms. It looked up at me and excitedly wagged its tail.

“I was thinking maybe Jira or Yoonju. Or maybe even Taeseul.” I carried the dog to the bowls I set up by the dining table. I dropped to one knee and let the dog go. It ran up to the water bowl and lapped away at it. I stood up and watched it quench its thirst.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter