Happy Chance

Happy Chance

 

I breathed a sigh of relief when I finally managed to get on the bus home. It had been a long day and I looked forward to getting some well deserved rest. The bus soon started to fill up and it wasn't long until someone had to sit next to me. I looked around and the seat next to me was the only one available so I scooted over to make some more room. I covered my mouth with my hand as I let out a yawn. Soon, the tiredness had won and I closed my eyes for a quick nap. The minute I rested my head against the window, the stranger next to me had leaned their head on my shoulder. She had completely fallen asleep on me. I smiled and went back on resting my head against the window. 

 

When I woke up, the bus was half-empty, I was already halfway home and the girl next to me was still fast asleep. I was just going to continue to be polite and let her lean on me but then she started snoring softly. An old woman who was sat in front of us turned around and eyed me then the snoring stranger next to me. The old woman smiled at me, "your girlfriend must be so tired." I didn't know what to answer so I just simply nodded kindly. A few more minutes later, she started to wake up slowly. "H-hi..." I said nervously. She raised her head and stared at me for a very long time. "I'm so sorry... I can't believe I did that!" Her cheeks were flushed and she completely avoided eye contact with me. "Its okay! I fell asleep too!" I said cheerfully. She's the prettiest girl I've ever seen! While she couldn't bear to look at me, I couldn't bear to look away from her. "Yes but you didn't fall asleep on a stranger's shoulder..." She bit her lip. To keep from laughing? I wasn't sure. 

 

"My name is Minhyuk. If you tell me your name, we're not strangers anymore." I smiled widely. She finally looked up and then took my hand gingerly. "My name is Yejin." I held onto her hand for as long as I possibly could before she thinks I'm a creep. "Nice to meet you. You can lean on my shoulder any time you like." This made her flushed again and I regretted being so cheesy. "This is my stop." She said quietly as the bus slowed down. My stop was the next one and at first I was seriously considering getting off at this stop too and walking the rest of the way but I didn't want to risk her thinking I'm some kind of stalker. "Oh okay, goodnight Yejin..." I smiled brightly. "Bye Minhyuk." She smiled shyly before getting up and exiting the bus and my life. I wondered if I was ever going to see her again. 

 

When I arrived at my apartment, my roommate Jooheon was there playing with his xBox. "I met my dream girl today." I told him. "And I'll probably never see her again!" Jooheon looked up from his game. "Why not?" he paused his game before approaching me. "Because life is cruel!" I exclaimed dramatically. He rolled his eyes before hitting my shoulder softly. "Well look, you were late from university today. Did you take a different bus?" I pursed my lips and thought about what he said. Today was the first time this year that I took a different bus home. My usual bus was an hour earlier. Jooheon grinned, "tomorrow take that bus again and see if she gets on it too! If she does, be a man and ask her out!"

 

The next day, I was watching the time very closely. I couldn't focus in class because I kept thinking about Yejin and whether I was going to see her again. Finally it was time to go home and I took my time walking to the bus stop. To my surprise, when I got there, Yejin was there too waiting for the bus. I couldn't hide my excitement. I approached her quickly and waved like an idiot once I was in front of her. She was startled of course. "Hi Minhyuk!" she grinned. "Yejin! You attend this university too?" I enquired. I couldn't get rid of the smile off my face. I can't believe I've never seen her around before. "I do. What are you studying?" She didn't seem so shy around me anymore. "I'm studying business management, what about you?" The bus arrived then and we both got on and sat next to each other. We talked a lot and laughed a lot throughout the journey. Soon her stop was approaching. I still haven't asked her out yet and Jooheon's words were ringing in my ears. "Be a man and ask her out!" Yejin picked her bag up as the bus slowed down. "I guess I'll see you on Monday?" she gave me the sweetest smile that I returned. It was going to the weekend- perfect timing if I managed to ask her out. But suddenly she was gone and off the bus. I looked out and she was smiling at me while waving goodbye. "Wait!" I shouted at the bus driver. I hurried off the bus and ran after her. Yejin looked back and stared at me curiously. "I... I wanted to ask you something." I gulped. She kept silent and waited for me to speak again. I took a deep breath and blurted out, "would you like to go out tomorrow? With me?" Knowing my luck, she's going to think I'm a weirdo and run away from me. However, when I looked at her, her cheeks were very pink and she spoke very gently when she responded, "where should I meet you?" I couln't contain my happiness as we agreed where to meet up tomorrow. When I eventually got home, Jooheon was quick to ask me about her. "Are you sure she's not married? Are you sure she's not a ghost?" I laughed at his silliness and looked in my closet to decide what I'm wearing the next day. 

 

I stood outside Starbucks and waited patiently for Yejin. I arrived early just in case she would arrive early too but she was just on time. "Let's get a drink." I smiled at her and walked in the coffee shop with her. We took the nearest free table and I sat with her for a bit before ordering our drinks. "You know you were snoring when I met you the first time the other day..." I grinned mischievously at her. She looked up from her drink and as if on cue, she blushed like a tomato. "W-was I?" she blinked. I nodded. "That's embarrassing..." she shook her head. I plucked up the courage then grabbed her hand across the table. She didn't flinch like i expected but instead she let me hold her hand. "I can't believe I've never seen you around campus before." I told her. "Actually, we've taken the bus together so many times before. You're usually with that guy with bright red hair, right?" she admitted all of a sudden. How could I have been so blind?! "That's Jooheon, my roommate. So you've seen me before." I grinned widely. "You mumble in your sleep." she pointed out. I widened my eyes at her. "A couple of months ago, I sat next to you on the bus. You were asleep until I got off. You actually leaned your head on my shoulder and were mumbling in your sleep." I couldn't help but laugh at her revelation. That's why she was so embarrassed when it happened the other way around. And that's why she couldn't bear to look at me when she said, "but you didn't fall asleep on a stranger's shoulder." Oh, the irony!

"You know what this means right?" I spoke before placing a quick kiss on top of her hand.

"Hmm?" 

"We're meant to be together." I beamed.

 

 

-END-