Swings

Swings

 

It smelt like rain that day, that earthy fresh scent accompanied by the cool breeze that sung of the showers to come, and there Minho was, clear and real, more colorful than anything in Taemin’s view, sitting on the old wooden swing, in the play area that had been abandoned for the new one built in the park.

 

“Sorry, I am late.” Taemin breathed, finding it unable to control that bursting smile, yet feeling the awkwardness of the whole situation.

 

They had known each other for a long, long time, for half of their lives, perhaps...yet it felt like they still knew nothing of each other.

 

It was only yesterday that Minho was just another guy in Taemin’s class who he would casually exchange no more than a greeting, but Minho had also always been the guy Taemin’s eyes would settle on and stay for long.

 

Yesterday had been the last day that Minho was just another guy, because at the end of that yesterday, Minho had taken the seat beside him and had passed him a note in class, glancing at him flusteredly as Taemin looked at him before opening it.

 

“Go out with me?”

 

It hadn’t been long enough before Taemin realized that what Minho was to him, he was to Minho.

 

“I should be the one to say sorry. I don’t even know what to do, or where to take you on our first date.” Minho murmured.

 

Taemin sat on the swing next to Minho’s, “You can give me a push.”

 

The tension on Minho’s face dissipated quite a bit, a smile surfacing instead, “Okay.”

 

After pushing the swing as fast enough as it could go, Minho stepped aside, watching Taemin enjoying the rise and fall, his hair playing against the wind, a charming smile on his face, in effect of the simple joy of the swing.

 

A drizzle began which made Taemin slow down, grumbling, and Minho caught the swing to a halt, trying to shield Taemin from the drizzle, thinking it to be momentary. But the drizzle turned into a slightly faster shower, and he gave up when Taemin chuckled at his failure. “Might as well get totally drenched now.” Taemin said, “Your turn now-”

 

Minho had pecked Taemin’s lips, withdrawing in embarrassment as he whispered a blushful apology, his action tainting Taemin’s face with pink as well.

 

They just stayed still and quiet for a long time, absorbing the moment, the gentle rainfall being the only sound around them, before Taemin softly replied, “You have nothing to be sorry about.” Taemin got off his swing and he gingerly held Minho’s hand, “The coffee shop…” He said, blushing slightly more, “Let’s go there.”

 

“Okay.” Minho answered and they began walking, their hands slowly entangling into the other’s better, the rain calming as both the awkward distance and silence disappeared as they began to to talk.

 

 


 

 

“Do you remember our first date?” Taemin asked as he lowered the book in his hand, glancing at Minho who was still absorbed in the textbook in his lap, as he sat cross-legged on the swing beside Taemin’s.

 

“Yes.” Minho answered as he looked to Taemin, a soft smile forming on his face, “It was right here, wasn’t it? Three years ago…”

 

“You never got your turn, did you?” Taemin got up, wearing a smile that was faintly mischievous, placing his opened book up upside down on his swing before stepping towards Minho’s, pulling his sleeves up to give his swing a push.

 

“Whoa, wait.” Minho tossed his book on the grass before he grabbed Taemin’s arm, understanding the leaking mischief in his smile and pulling him towards himself instead. Taemin chuckled as he tried to free himself but Minho was quicker and was soon on his feet. The next thing Taemin knew, it was him sitting on the swing, Minho bending down slightly, engaging him in a kiss.

 

Although it was different every time, it always felt like the first one, because his heart raced the same way and the whole of his body tingled with the same warmth.

 

Minho withdrew from Taemin, leaving a peck on his cheek, wearing an affectionate smile that was tainted with slight arrogance and victory. “Want a push?”

 

Taemin pulled his legs up, lowering his head to hide the wild shade of his face, “Yes.”