Unsent Letter

Unsent Letter

"Hey," Kai's voice laced with venom called a boy standing in the hallway, knowing the former's reputation in the Academy, the boy held his head low, afraid to meet the bully's eyes. 

"Give me your money," Kai said, his hand resting on the boy's trembling shoulders.

"I'm sorry, I can't." the boy said. It was for his tuition fee after all. And Kai was rich he probably could buy the academy, he thought inwardly.

Two word reply that made the bully to frowned. "You can't?" he asked, squeezing the boy's shoulder, chuckling. He read the boy's nametag aloud and smirked. "Byun Baekhyun? Ah. The son of the owner of the small loaning company downtown? You sure you don't want to give me your money?" he said and pushed Baekhyun's shoulder, facing him. "Don't you know who I am? I can crush that business in the blink of an eye," he spurred, irritation in his voice. Growing impatient, he threw a punch directly on Baekhyun's stomach, he bent down, wishing for a teacher to come, he cursed to himself. No one could stop Kai anyway.

The bully smirked, kicking his leg now. "What now?" he said, raising his eyebrows and grabbed his collar. With shaking hands, Baekhyun reached for his wallet, handing it to the despicable human in front of him. But even before the money touched Kai's hands, a voice came in between.

"Stop that!" the newcomer said, walking toward Kai. Kai smirked and faced the petite young man. 

"And who the hell are you?" he asked in annoyance then grabbed his collar. But the newcomer stood still. He glanced at Baekhyun and told him to leave. Reluctant at first, he turned his heel and left his friend in the mercy of a delinquent.

"I am Do Kyungsoo," he said, meeting Kai's eyes. And that's when Kai's time stood still. Everything, for a moment stopped upon meeting the other boy's dark onyx eyes. He didn't even notice that he'd let go of his grasp.

"I don't care who you are but what you're doing is so wrong," Kyungsoo hissed. But Kai was too fascinated by his eyes he couldn't understand what he was saying. Kyungsoo frowned when he realized the bully's not responding. The other boy seemed to lost his mind. Too much drugs, he thought to himself, shooking his head and shifted his feet to leave.

Kai eyed him as he departed but even after Kyungsoo was long gone, he stood still. His hand moving to his chest and find it was beating too fast. "What the hell was that?" he mumbled quietly.

-

Few days had passed and Kyungsoo's face continued to haunt Kai's life. Awake or asleep. He tried looking for him but luck wasn't on his side. On his own thoughts of giving up, he noticed a flyer glued on their classroom's white board, smiling as he saw the image he longed to see. He read the flyers details, thanking heavens after, for his talent in rapping.

He materialized himself in the Guild's front door, doubting for a moment whether to knock or not, but his heart said it was the place he should be in. Before he could knock, the door opened, revealing Kyungsoo's face, smiling, that was immediately replaced by a scowl upon recognizing him.

Kyunsoo raised his brows, eyeing him suspiciously. "What brings the bully here?" he asked.

Kai ignored his fast beating heart, pointing the banner that was hanging outside the Music Guild. "I'd like to audition," he said, gaining a laugh from Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo shook his head. "No," he coughed, regaining his calm. "A guy like you would never appreciate music,"

"I'm serious," Kai countered.

"I'm sorry, but this place is not for you," Kyungsoo said, "This isn't a place for fun."

"But I'm not looking for fun. I'd like to audition and be part of this," he firmly affirmed, wishing Kyungsoo would finally let him audition. But he shook his head again, his voice soft when he said. "This is our sanctuary, our haven. I'm sorry, but I can't really let you audition,"

Kyungsoo turned his heels to leave. No longer knew what else he could do to convince him, Kai rapped the only rap song he knew.

*

Do Kyungsoo never wanted Kai to join his guild, but when he rapped, he knew it was the voice they would need. And his friend, also the leader of their band, Suho, walked in while he was rapping. He'd like his voice and eagerly welcomed him, despite of him saying no constantly. But Suho, unfortunately, never listened to him. He glared as Kai settled himself on a chair, talking with Suho. They were in the midst of some exchange that seemed positively chummy. When Kai caught his gaze, he rolled his eyes, focusing on writing their next entry for the battle of the bands next month.

He was not really a person who hate someone instantly, but a certain Kai was too far from his liking, based solely on his baf attitude toward the Academy's students. He knew he was being irrational but she also knew Kai wasn't worth trusting. He's a bully. A delinquent. Who knows if he's an addict too, right? 

He sighed and inwardly cursed as Suho called for all the members of the guild. There was a silent resistance when Suho introduced the newest addition in the group, especially from those he probably bullied, including Byun Baekhyun.

After few moments, murmurs and glares subsided. Kai introduced himself, flashing a smile.

The bands guitarists, Chanyeol and Sehun shook hands with Kai, though he knew they were frightened. Their drummer, Baekhyun, who's eyes not meeting Kai's did too. Suho, the bassist, shook hands with him again.

Lunch time came and they all sat together, tension around them. At first, he thought Kai was the cause of the unease but before the meal ended, he realized that more than a few unfriendly looks had been directly sent to him. He frowned at the sudden turnaround. Because he was so sure that when Kai appeared and auditioned, the whole team was afraid of his presence. Because he was a bully. It was when Suho called him that he understood the turnaround.

"What are you doing? You're being unfriendly Soo, that's not like you," Suho asked, his voice a little too loud.

"He's a delinquent, a bully. And you let him in. That's not like you Suho," he countered, raising his voice too. "He bullied Baekhyun last week. Probably Chanyeol and Sehun too, he's a good for nothing, Suho,"

Suho shook his head, groaning. "You're being irrational Kyungsoo. People can change. Even him can change." his voice was soft now, "Give the guy a chance. Please? For me?"

He raised his hands in defeat. "Okay, I'll try." he said. Suho smiled and hugged him. "Thank you. I know you'll love him,"

*

Kai's smiling face greeted the students in the Academy. Some thought he was going crazy, some thought he was planning another devious stunt. But Kai was too happy to pay them any heed. He was even whistling when he came inside the Music Guild. He greeted Suho and the other members of the band, though he could still feel Kyungsoo's annoyance toward him.

Before they rehearsed the song they'll perform, he walked and sat beside Baekhyun.

"Hey," he called. Baekhyun bit his lips, humming in return.

"Don't do that. I just want to say I'm sorry for what I did back then,"

Baekhyun had to take a look at him to see if he's not fooling around. It must be a miracle, he thought. Kai never said sorry. For once, he even thought he knew the word.

Kai lend his hand and Baekhyun took it. "We're friends now," Kai smiled. And did the same thing with Chanyeol and Sehun. He saw Kyungsoo smiling from across the room.

After their rehearsal, Suho called for a break. Cheese sandwiches were passed around, they ate in silence. After a minute, Kai spoke. "Your song is wonderful,"

Kyungsoo gave him a slight smile. His first impulse was to say something like cutting but he revisited his conversation with Suho and he tried to take the first step in giving him a chance. "Thank you, your voice is wonderful too," then he added, "and powerful,"

Kai smiled. "Yours too. It's beautiful," he said but looking straight to Kyungsoo's face.

 

*

Kai's sudden change didn't escape his mother's keen eyes. Even the whole academy couldn't believe the notorious delinquent smiling around and doing nothing like bully. His mother asked him about it, but he just smiled. "It's nothing Umma," he said.

His mother looked unconvinced then, then she said, "Oh, I almost forgot, yesterday we had merged with D.O Enterprises. And I want you to meet their son, you'll be working together in the near future anyway,"

Kai nodded, "Okay, but I have to get back in school later, we have rehearsal," And I can't wait to see Kyungsoo, he didn't uttered the last words.

And when he reached the cafe his mother said, he saw a familiar figure. His chest went wil when he finally met his gaze. "Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo arose from his seat and chuckled. "Kai?" he shook his head, smiling. "When my mom told me about Kim's son, I have a feeling it was you," he admitted. "Well, since we're here, let's get along,"

They sat down, ordered drinks, silently thanking his family for merging with Do's business.

"I'm surprised too, but didn't told me your name," he said, "By the way, I'm sorry," he lowered his head, Kyungsoo clicked his tongue. "Never mind that, it's all in the past. Let's forget about that," he said.

*

Kyungsoo couldn't believed he'd said, "Let's forget about that," but he was so mesmerized by Kai's eyes he had lost his mind. For a couple of weeks since Kai joined the band, he noticed his changes. But prejudices always set in. But they managed to do some exchange without hints of sarcasm and insults. For the weeks that passed by, they became friends.

Their first performance with him went well, they won the battle of the bands and a lot of people accepted him quickly as part of the group, and Suho was happy for their progress.

"I'm happy you're giving him a chance," Suho said one day.

"He's not really that bad," he admitted.

"Told you, I said you'd love him," Suho uttered.

And Kai's bad image completely broke down when he saw him feeding a stray cat and its kittens behind the guild's building one day.

"Grow up big so you can protect your mom and siblings," Kai said, rubbing the cat's purr. The cat let out a meow that can be translated as a moan. The gesture had coaxed a smile out of him. "You're really not that bad, Kai,"

*

Kai's affection toward Kyungsoo grew even bigger after a couple of weeks. He liked how Kyungsoo voiced what he has in mind. Liked him more when he started giving him a chance. And now as they sipped their drinks with little chitchats, he realized how beautiful Kyungsoo was. Before their drinks were done, he asked him to go somewhere.

"Where to?" Kyunsoo asked.

"Somewhere near south," he said, "Come on, let's go."

He brought Kyungsoo to his favorite place settled in the outskirts of Seoul, "I want to show you fireflies," he said, opening the car's door for him.

"Fireflies? In the city and daylight?" Kyungsoo said, clicking his tongue.

"I'm serious," he assured immediately.

They reached the olden house afterward. He twisted the knob and let Kyungsoo in. A room with no windows, nothing, just a four walled room. With lights in full brightness.

"What now?" Kyungsoo asked, pouting. He fought the urge to kiss him. He hit the lights off and opened something like a cage then in the darkness, were fireflies dancing around them.

"Wow," Kyungsoo muttered under his breath. He saw fireflies encircling them. A firefly passed to Kai's face, he saw him smiling. "This is so wonderful Kai,"

"Yes, I caught all of this when I was young, glad they're surviving even they're locked out here," Kai said. "Dance with me," he added, not asking for permission but demanding. Kyungsoo nodded, leaning in closer to him. "Only there's no music,"

He settled his hand on Kyungsoo's waste and smirked. "I'll sing,"

When they started to move, Kai started to sing. Kyungsoo felt one with the fireflies. He closed his eyes as he listened to Kai's voice.

 

*

"I had a good time," Kyungsoo said, smiling as they reached their porch. "Thank you,"

Kai nodded. "Likewise, and you're welcome," he said smiling sheepishly. When Kyungsoo marched toward their door, Kai regretted he didn't made the move to kiss him. And Kyungsoo had secretly waited for him to do it.

 

A simple meet-up had lead to frequent hangouts. And on the night of the first snow, Kai finally had the courage to leaned in to Kyungsoo and kissed him. And after a month, when he was so sure he loved Kyungsoo more than anything, he wrote him a letter. But a news came that made Kyungsoo's dreams to shattered in million of pieces.

Kyungsoo had received the letter, telling him he love him and meet him in the place they danced before if he somehow felt the same. He wanted to come, but with a bad news behind his back, he decided to write him a letter. A letter he placed inside Kai's bag.

He could have received it, but for some reasons, he lost his hold on his bag, that caused his things to fell on the floor. He grabbed his things, not knowing there was a letter that also fell that came from Kyungsoo, saying, "Kai, I know you told me to come, but first, I want to tell you I'm dying. Doctors said it's throat cancer. If you still like me despite of that, then meet me at the rooftop tonight. I'll understand of you'll not come. But I'm hoping you would,"

Kyungsoo waited for him. Kai waited for him. Fate had something stacked between them.

 

The wind blew and Kyungsoo hugged his body. Checked his watch again. 12 o'clock in the midnight, he thought, wishing he'll come. A tear rolled down his cheek and he reread Kai's message to him.

"Kyungsoo, I know it's not that long since we met, but I've never been so sure in my life. I love you Do Kyungsoo. And if there's a slightest chance you feel the same, please meet me in the place we'd danced before. If you show up, you're mine, if you don't, I'll understand," -- Kai

He clutched the paper and wiped his tears, turned his heel and walked away.

On the other part of the city, a young man stood, crying while telling himself Kyungsoo will come. He waited for hours, Kyungsoo never showed up. He got tired of waiting eventually.

 

They both left the country the next day. Kai flew to Europe and Kyungsoo flew to America, hoping he'll find the cure of his cancer there. After a year, Kai came back and reunited with the band. He cried all day when he find Kyungsoo's letter when they decided to clean the guild. He wished he had received it. He shouldn't left. But he was too hurt to face him back then. And now, all he could do was regret everything.

 

*

After three years. 

"Kai?" Baekhyun's voice hollered from the phone. Kai yawned and checked the time, find it was only 3am. "The hell? Do you know what time is it? Why are you calling me in this ungodly hour?" he hissed.

"I've got news." Baekhyun replied. "Kyungsoo is back!"

For a moment, the whole world seemed to stop. He had to bit the inside of his cheek to make sure he's not dreaming.

He tried calling him as soon as the sun was up. He came to their house and begged his parents but Kyungsoo doesn't want to talk. That's when Suho came on between, offering to help him. He made him wait in the guild hall.

He prepared a small concert for him. Hours had passed but he continued to wait. The sun had already set when Suho came, pushing a wheelchair where Kyungsoo was sitting. Tears started to roll down Kyungsoo's cheeks upon seeing him.

Kai, on the other hand, seemed to cease breathing.

"Kyungsoo," he muttered. It was all he could say for that moment. Suho signed he couldn't longer speak. Cancer cells hd killed his beautiful voice.

A song sang by their group flowed on them. Kai grabbed Kyungsoo's hand. "I'm sorry," he uttered.

Kyungsoo nodded slowly, and smiled. Not like the one he used to flash but still beautiful in Kai's eyes. Kai caressed Kyungsoo's pale cheek, kissed his forehead covered by a bonnet. His beautiful hair had been killed by his disease too. He kissed his nose and before it land on Kyungsoo's lips, he said, slowly. "I love you Kyungsoo," and took his trembling lips.

The group continued to sing. Kai continued to grab his hand. And Kyungsoo continued to hold on. But their times running, before the sixth song ended, Kyungsoo mouthed a word that made him to cry. "Saranghae,"

Them slowly, so slowly, Kyungsoo's eyelids began to close. It took a while for Kai to realize Kyungsoo will never open them again. He clamped his hand on his mouth and let out a silent cry. "Kyungsoo," he whispered. "I love you yoo,"

.

.

.

Author's Note: I know I'm terrible. Please don't kill me.