Broken Inside (Frozen in Time)

Concrete Angel, Tears of Glass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With no place to go, to dry her eyes

Broken inside

- Nobody's Home by Avril Lavigne 

Φ

 Doyeon was her best friend but there were a few things that she still wasn't telling her. It had only taken them a few days to fall back into the easy routine of comfortable conversations and she could honestly say that there wasn't a happier time in her life than when she had Doyeon by her side because nobody else could make her smile the way that Doyeon could and she already found it difficult to think back to a time when they hadn't been together.

However, she was still under the impression that Yoojung's life had improved after she had gone to live with her aunt and she wasn't going to be the one to break that fantastical delusion in which everything was okay and happy.

The taller girl had been the only true friend that she'd ever had but after beginning her attendance at Hongdae, Doyeon had introduced her to a small group of girls whom Yoojung had found herself getting rather attached to. They were the sort of people that you would expect to find in a group together, but in all the ways that they clashed, they complemented each other just as much and it was clear that the group would incomplete if even one of them was missing.

First, there was Hwang Sooyeon, the sporty member of their group. The tall girl had long blonde hair and was involved in a large majority of the sports teams that the school offerred, during their introduction Yoojung had decided that the girl looked quite intimidating and that she would try and steer clear of her if at all possible. She had made that impossible when she discovered that they shared a class and made sure that they sat together. From just one proper confrontation, she learned that Sooyeon wasn't really scary at all, she was actually quite a lot like a big, lovable teddy bear.

The next person that she'd met was Lim Jungmin, although she'd been surprised to hear it at first, she was actually the maknae of the group. Jungmin was a dance major and the type to laugh without reason and always try and make sure that everyone was included. Straight away, Yoojung had decided that she liked her after they automatically bonded overa shared passion for dance. Since they were in the same major, they spent quite a lot of time together and soon became fast friends.

After that it had been Kang Siwon. The tall girl was rather quiet but Yoojung soon discovered that she was actually very odd and she was always making the group laugh with random statements and actions. Although she hadn't spoken to the other girl much, Yoojung felt very comfortable around her and knew that they would eventually be good friends.

Lastly, there was Zhou Pinky (Whos real name was actually Jieqiong but she threatened pain if anybody used it).The older girl was the type that you'd expect to be very regal and proper but she actually very silly most of the time. She seemed to get on especially well with Doyeon and Yoojung found herself getting jealous everytime she was them spending time together. She knew that it was irrational because Pinky was a very nice girl and she had no right to control who Doyeon spent her time with, but she still averted her eyes everytime they curled up next one another during lunch.

Slowly but surely, Yoojung was opening up and expanding her world. She no longer had to be alone and although it would take her a while, she hoped that these people would also come to consider her a friend.

Φ

Distracted and warmed as she was by the great semester at school, Yoojung put off thinking about the prospect that she would eventually have to return home until she was practiocally on the doorstep of her aunts house. Inserting the key into the door and turning the handle, she pulled open the door to reveal the worried face of her cousin Eunbin and she realised with a wave or dread that her uncle must be home. Usually her and Eunbin got along very well but whenever her Uncle was home from one of his business trips she had to pretend as though she despised the younger girl so that she wouldn't incur her fathers wrath.

Yoojung gave the older give a minute smile, just a slight twitch of her lips really and nodded to say that she understood and that she wouldn't hold anything that was done under his influence against her.

It took more courage than she thought she possessed to walk further down the hall, removing her shoes and placing them  by the door, before finally entering the lounge where her uncle was sitting with his back to her, watching the television.

"Uncle," She said by way of getting his attention. Her voice was firm and steady beacause any sign of weakness would only make her imminent torment that much worse and she proferred not to prolong her suffering if possible. The bulky figure took his time lifting the remote control and switching off the tv before finally turning to look at her.

"Oh," He sneered with disdain, "So they haven't gotten rid of you yet? Tossed you onto the street like your mother should have before you caused her so much trouble." He was clearly displeased but she could tell that he took a twisted kind of pleasure in tormenting her with words, taking smalls shots at her confidence and self worth before he moved on to doing physical damage.

Her uncle was her mother's brother and he made no secret of the fact that he blamed her entirely for his sisters incarceration. In his mind, she had deserved every hit that she'd taken from her mother as a young child and she must have lied to the courts, made them pity her from her sick-bed, where she lay' barely able to move.

He told her these things so often that she was starting to believe them herself and so she didn't fight back when he layed his hands on her. He told her that it was just the punishment she deserved for being such a rotten child to her mother and that good children should accept their punishement quietly while they thought about what they'd done wrong.

Today would clearly be no different as he stood heavily, smirking as she couldn't help but cower under his intimidating stature. To him, her fear was something that he took pride in and seeing as an instinctive reaction before he'd even done anything gave him a twisted sense of satisfaction.

"You won't fight today?" He taunted, taking slow steps towards her and laughing boisterously when she shook her head furiously and hung her head low, trying desperately to hide the tears that had begun to leak from her eyes.

"Good, you're finally learning that good children should be seen and not heard." The satisfaction mixed with glee in his voice made Yoojung feel sick to the stomach but she daren't show such a feeling on her face lest it make him angry instead of the humoured mood that he was currently in.

The first blow always hurt the most.

This time was no different as he struck out with his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter