Bomi - Chorong

Love like A Fairytale

"Gather!" A sharp cry resounded throughout the gym, causing everyone to freeze and turn towards the sound. Not a second later, there was a flurry of movement to where our coach was sitting on the bleachers. "As you know, we did well this season," He began and was met with a chorus of agreement and smiles. "So," He continued and we immediately fell silent. "I've decided to cancel weekly trainings for a month!" The loud cheer that followed made our coach smile and cover his ears. "However, I expect you girls to keep fit. Eat healthily and don't slack off. You must remain in good condition throughout this break, am I clear?" He sternly looked at everyone of us in the eye. "Yes Sir!" We shouted in unison and he stood up. "That will be all, dismissed!"
I stayed behind with my best friend to clear the gym and pack up. "I can't believe that he gave us a break, Eunji." I smiled as I dragged the mats into the storeroom. "Well I can. Sir isn't as heartless as we all think he is." Eunji retorted as she tossed the medicine balls into the metal cage with ease. Eunji was my childhood friend, growing up together in the same neighbourhood. Our parents had met each other at the hospital, both our mothers being in the same ward after we had been born. I was often told how I punched Eunji the first time we met as babies and she had been unhesitant when she swung back. "Of course I know that. But I just thought that he wouldn't give me a break, you know? With the juniors starting competitions in less than 2 months and all." I justified and pulled the sliding doors to the storage room shut, locking it with the key around my neck.
Eunji met me at the door, my bag in her hand. "He probably gave us a break so he could focus on the kids. Don't stress yourself out, captain. There's more to life than just taekwondo." She winked at me as we walked out of the compound side my side. I rolled my eyes and attempted to punch her but she skillfully evaded my hand. "Thought you were better than that, cap?" Eunji teased and I smirked before tripping her. "Of course I am. That's why you are the vice captain." I laughed as I watched Eunji scramble up from the ground, a disgruntled expression on her face. "Yeah yeah, whatever." She sulked and I gleefully took her hand, pulling her out of the school gates and towards the food stalls that we frequented for almost all our meals. "C'mon, Ji. It's my treat."
"So when are you ever gonna do anything about it?" Eunji broke my train of thought as I turned back to her in surprise. She sighed and put down her chopsticks. We had bought our favourites, seafood pancakes and rice balls and were in the process of demolishing them at the park near our dormitories, well, Eunji was anyway. "What?" I attempted to play dumb, despite knowing exactly what she was talking about. "This is the 12th couple you've stared at. When will you ever ask her out?" I shook my head, nervously smiling as I pretended to focus on my untouched food. "Never, Ji. I don't have a chance anyway." Eunji rolled her eyes and picked up her chopsticks again. "You haven't even tried." "I know the outcome. I'd rather look at her from afar forever if that's what it takes. I can't risk her thinking I'm a freak." I frowned as I bit a little too forcefully into my pancake.
"But-" "Eunji." I stared pointedly at her, hoping that she would get the message and stop talking about it. She did, thankfully, and only sighed before continuing to eat. "I can't force you but you know Park Chorong won't be single forever, Bomi." I smiled but it did not quite reach my eyes. "I know." We parted at the dormitory gates, both of us living at the opposite ends of the compound. "I'll see you at the usual spot tomorrow?" Eunji asked and I smiled back. "Yeah, see you." We turned and headed towards our respective buildings. Just as I arrived at my floor, I felt something amiss and when I turned into the corridor my apartment was located, I was shocked to see my roommate lugging a huge luggage out of the door. "Namjoo?" I called and hurried up to her, not missing the way her eyes widened, a deer caught in the headlights.
"Hey, Eonnie..." She laughed nervously and it was then I caught sight of black scorch marks on our door. "Kim Namjoo..." "It was an accident! I swear on my life!" She protested as I started rolling up my sleeves. "I only burned down the kitchen but the fire department said we shouldn't go in. I got all your things though." I sighed, suddenly drained. "Okay and where will you go?" Namjoo smiled and pulled her luggage closer to her. "I'm heading to Hayoung's. Her roommate dropped out a few days back." I nodded and sighed. "I'm sure you'll find someplace to bunk in. Goodnight,eonnie." Namjoo bowed and all but ran to the lift. I groaned and ran a hand through my hair. It was already close to midnight, where would I find a place to stay in such a short notice.
My mind instantly went to Eunji but I immediately crossed her out. Eunji was staying with her long time girlfriend, the goddess of the school, Son Naeun. And I knew all too well that despite Naeun's quiet personality and Eunji's apparent naivety, the two were more than rabbits in heat. I shuddered, thinking of what might happen if I actually stayed there. So lost was I in my thoughts that I failed to notice a door opening down the corridor and a figure stepping out into the cold night air. "Hey," I turned, startled by the sudden sound and felt my voice completely fail me. Chorong stood right behind me, smiling more brightly then the Sun. I blinked and she giggled, a sound I would forever commit to memory. I was neck-deep in an out-of-control crush with the Hapkido captain and having her in such close proximity was not doing positive things to my well-being.
"-need a place to stay?" I blinked again, before blurting, "I'm sorry?" I was sure my whole face was beet red, if the sudden heat I felt was any indication. "I asked if you needed a place to stay. I heard the fire department this afternoon." I looked down at my feet, not quite ready to meet her eyes. "It's fine. I wouldn't want to impose." I whispered to my shoes. "I don't have a roommate actually, she graduated and moved out last week." Truthfully, I knew that but like I said, being in such close proximity with her was not good for me. I was already neck-deep, I did not want to be buried alive. Not with the responsibilities I had as a senior in school. "I'm not taking no for an answer." She grinned and I was suddenly thankful that I had the sense to throw my hoodie over my head before coming up. "Go get your stuff, I'll wait for you."
I remained rooted to the ground and my curiosity finally won me over. "You don't even know me. Why help?" I did not miss the slight smile in her voice when she replied. "You're right. I only know your name, Yoon Bomi, captain of the Taekwondo Club. But that doesn't mean I can't help a fellow student in need." I smiled, thinking of how lucky I was to have fallen for her. "Thank you. I'll go get my stuff now." I bowed and ran into my apartment to grab the luggage that was sitting in the middle of the mess in our sitting room. The sight of the burnt kitchen did nothing to dampen my spirits however, and I was soon being led into the empty room in Chorong's apartment. "The toilet's the last door down the hall. Sleep well, Bomi." She smiled as she shut the door. Finally alone, I felt my legs wobble and I crashed onto the bed. I was in Chorong's apartment, she is sleeping just next door. I must be dreaming but I don't want to wake up. She will find out and think that you are a freak. You will be hated immediately. Conflicting thoughts ran through my mind and I buried my head into the pillow, muffling my scream. I lifted my head and blinked away the tears, grabbing my phone to text Eunji.
"Wow you look terrible." She joked the next morning, with a cup of coffee in her hand. "Shut it, Jung Eunji." I muttered and took the hot coffee from her, draining it in seconds, relishing in the scalding feeling in my throat. I had left the dorm at 6 when our classes started at 8. Despite how thankful I was to Chorong for allowing me to stay at her place, I had resolved to avoid her whenever I could. Even if it meant sacrificing precious sleep. We walked towards the class buildings and saw Naeun waving at us from the doors. "Hey babe!" Eunji greeted and tip-toed to give her girlfriend a kiss on the cheek. I rolled my eyes, already used to such antics from the two lovebirds. "Morning, Bomi eonnie." She greeted quietly and I smiled. Naeun was the ying to Eunji's yang, I have never met two people who were so different but similar at the same time.
However, it was good thing. Being with Naeun had mellowed Eunji and Naeun was now a little more outgoing. I smiled fondly as the two bickered about something I had missed while zoning out, Naeun calmly stating her points while Eunji animatedly moved her hands. I laughed when Eunji frowned and Naeun pinched her cheeks. My faith was well placed for the Goddess of Cube Academy always won any argument. "Bomi!" Someone called from behind me and my blood ran cold. So much for avoiding her. "Good morning eonnie." I forced out and bowed deeply, gathering all my willpower to not bolt away. "You left so early this morning, I thought you ran away." Chorong laughed, a tinkling melody. I sheepishly scratched my head,wracking my head for a good excuse.
"She went for a morning run with me." Eunji suddenly spoke up from behind me, saving me from what I knew would be unlimited embarrassment. Chorong's gaze shifted away from me and I felt my heart begin beating again. "Ah... I see. Well then, I'll see you later?" Chorong asked and I nodded mutely, tongue tying itself up in knots. She walked off and I collapsed against the lockers. "Wow, she really has it bad." Naeun whispered as Eunji checked my temperature. "I told you. I can't believe I'm best friends with such a coward." Eunji sighed dramatically and she pulled me down the hallway, with Naeun next to her. Naeun frowned at her girlfriend but did not say anything to counter her. I just followed them in a daze as we entered the lecture hall.
"Earth to Yoon Bomi!" I became aware of Eunji snapping her fingers in front of my face halfway into the lesson. I blinked at her as she huffed in annoyance before nudging me with her elbow. "Don't zone out. I don't wanna have to take notes for you again." I groaned, burying my head into my arms so that my words came out muffled. "You're suppose to be my best friend!" I felt rather than saw Eunji roll her eyes as she shoved my pen into my hands. "Your best friend, not your maid. Now stop thinking about Chorong and focus. Finals are in less than 2 months!" I bolted upright, hand immediately closing around my pen. Finals! I had forgotten that they were just around the corner. But then my mood dropped again and I let my head fall to the table with a resounding thud. That meant that I would only see Chorong for about 2 more months. Groaning, I only lifted my head a fraction when I heard the teacher clear his throat. "Is there something wrong, Miss Yoon?" He asked dryly and I felt my ears burn red in shame as the entire class turned towards me, sans Eunji. "No sir," I quickly mumbled and picked up my pen to furiously start copying the notes on the board. "Good, I'll expect you to pay more attention in class, Miss Yoon. Your grades may be there but it may not be forever." My teacher warned before turning his gaze back to the board. I sighed in defeat as Eunji patted my back. I really needed some time to myself, preferably away from all the other students. "C'mon Bomi. Just a few more periods and we can go to the rooftop." I smiled weakly at her, suddenly thankful that we were best friends.
"Arggg! The classroom was getting too stuffy for my taste." Eunji stretched, allowing her shirt to ride up, revealing her toned stomach. We were walking along the crowded corridor to the rooftop with Naeun in tow. She may be a year younger than us but she skipped a grade so we had our recess together in the same period. I muffled a snicker as I saw Naeun glare coldly at some girls who were giggling as they pointed at Eunji and I swore some of them were blushing. The boys were no better, openly drooling at my best friend and I accidentally (on purpose) tripped one of them to warn the others away. The girls immediately stopped and turned around, knowing better then to mess with the President of the Student Council. When we finally reached the rooftop, I heard Naeun give a long suffering sigh as she wrapped her arms around Eunji's waist and buried her head into the crook of her neck. "Why? What's wrong, Son Yeoshin?" I heard Eunji playfully ask, the underlying concern barely masked. "Too many people were looking at you just now. I didn't like it. Wear a longer shirt next time." I heard Naeun mumbled into Eunji's hair as I slowly walked away to give them space. "Aww, is my Naeun-nie jealous?" I could still hear the conversation but I chose to not intrude. "Yes, I hate it."
Naeun rarely showed or initiated any skinship, it was usually Eunji's job to do so. But I have never doubted their love for each other, Naeun just showed her love in another way. How she sends a good morning text to Eunji every morning and one at night to wish her sweet dreams. How she would always show up for our competitions, cheering her loudest for us. How she was willing to spend her holidays with Eunji, living in the dormitories when she could have returned to her rich family and her richer life. "I must be their biggest fan." I mused to myself, feeling a sharp throb of jealously in my heart. "I want that with you too." I muttered as I watched the couple make their way over to me, hands intertwined together tightly. "But it'll never happen." I murmured under my breath as my friends sat down beside me to begin our meal.
"Let's go, Eunji!" I exclaimed, bag already packed and slung on my shoulders. Eunji grinned at me as we dashed down the hallway, racing each other to the gym. While our coach did give us a break, there was no rule that stopped us from visiting our juniors while they trained. "Captain!" I was instantly tackled to the ground, a whole mass of bodies on top of me. "Get off me!" I managed to order, wind completely knocked out of me by my juniors. They quickly scrambled off and Eunji pulled me up. "We've missed you guys!" I heard one of them say and I patted her head. "Aw thanks, Soyeon. We've missed you annoying monkeys too." I cooed, laughing as the whole group of them groaned at us. "Have you guys been training hard? I know it's not the same without us." Eunji smiled and they nodded their heads furiously. "Training's really not the same without you guys." Another junior, Sorn pouted and I barely resisted the urge to pinch her cheeks. "Well, since we're gonna be around for a while, we'll go get changed and come back to help, okay?" "Yes Mam!" The juniors shouted and quickly
started their warm-up. Smiling fondly, the both of us headed for the locker rooms to change. "They love you, Bomi." Eunji said as she pulled her shirt over her head. "They love you too, idiot." I retorted, digging around my locker for my shirt. "Yeah, but you definitely have their respect." I frowned to myself, face hidden inside my locker. "But I'm the last person on earth that deserves their respect."
It was close to 8 when the girls decided that they wanted to go home. If there was something that us seniors would lose to them for, it would be to their boundless energy. "Wanna grab something to eat?" I asked as we strolled slowly back to my 'new' dormitory. Eunji turned to me, an apologetic expression on her face, what must have been an apology on the tip of her tongue. "But Naeun's already got something for you?" I guessed and Eunji nodded, face red. "It's fine, Eunji. I'll find something. The stalls should still be open." Eunji raised her eyebrows and shook her head while she checked her watch. "It's already 9, I think most stalls would be close." I shrugged and we continued towards the buildings. "Wanna join us for dinner?" Eunji asked and I shook my head so fast, I was quite surprise I did not get a whiplash. "No way! Who knows what might happen? I don't want to scar my eyes." Eunji punched my shoulder half-heartedly before grinning. "I know you too well." I huffed without heat, a mischievous glint in my eyes. "But you'll eat, right?" Eunji questioned when we were at the middle of the buildings. "Yes yes, go home to your goddess, Ji." I waved before running up to my floor. I was panting when I reached the door and as I fumbled with the keys to open the door, I smelt meat cooking. I pushed open the door, sniffing experimentally and felt myself drooling when I entered the kitchen.
"Eonnie." I greeted, waiting till she turned around from the stove to give a deep bow. "Bomi-ah, you're back! I was feeling hungry so I cooked something. Want to join me?" I blushed, hunger momentarily forgotten and nodded. "Is there enough for you?" "Of course, go wash your hands while I finish this. You can help me set the table." I don't think I have ever moved so fast in my life, hunger being such a great driving force. "Thank you for the food!" I clasped my hands together and dove into the meal. I completely missed the way Chorong's eyes curved in crescents as soon as I started inhaling the rice and meat. "Slow down, I don't want you to choke." She laughed as she placed a glass of water in front of me. "Sorry," I mumbled over my rice. "You were really cute back there." I paused, spoon midway from my mouth. At my questioning expression, Chorong nodded and clarified. "Back in the gym." I felt my face heat up and shoved the spoon into my mouth, for the lack of a better thing to say. "I didn't know you were there, eonnie." I mumbled again, eyes on anything but her smiling face. "I would have greeted you..." I continued, silently pushing the rice around. "I didn't want to disturb you, you actually looked happy." Chorong smiled (fake) again as she stood up to clear her plate. I was left alone at the table with nothing but my conflicting thoughts for company.
"Jung Eunji." I had approached her quietly from behind and scared the soul out of my best friend who was hunched over the table, trying to rush her overdue homework. And for good reason. I barely got any sleep last night, my face pale and eyes bloodshot. "Holy sh-! Don't do that!" She screeched, causing the other people at the common area to stare at us. I plopped down next to her, dazed, and Eunji finally put down her pen and felt my forehead. "Are you sick?" She questioned as Naeun looked up from her book across her, concern written on her face. "No. Well, maybe, I think." I scrubbed my hand tiredly over my eyes before burying my head in my arms. I did not need to see the look that was exchanged between my two friends before I heard Naeun quietly whisper," Does it have to do with Chorong-shi?" I groaned and Eunji quickly interpreted it, nodding in my behalf. "I think she might like me." "Is that not a good thing?" Eunji sarcastically quipped as she turned back to her papers. "No! She's graduating soon and besides, I definitely don't deserve her." I frowned, on the verge of crying. Naeun hesitantly reached across the table to pay my head and I gave a small smile. "You really need to stop being so negative, Bomi-eonnie." She quietly but firmly stated and I sniffed. Eunji turned to me and nudged me with her shoulder. "Hey, we'll always be here for you. I'll always be here for you." I lifted my head and looked at her, a watery smile on my lips, the light dimming in my eyes.
Finally after a day of moping, I had resolved to try my hardest to stop looking too deep into the enigma that is Park Chorong. Every action she did, I would only take it as that and nothing more. After school, Eunji told me that she had a date with Naeun and that she was sorry that she could not go visit the kids with me like we promised. I had only smiled and told her to have fun before trudging to the gym alone. I cracked open the door and saw the kids milling around the floor, laughing as they sparred with each other. "Hey, kids!" I greeted brightly (forced) and braced myself for the imminent tide of bodies. "CAPTAIN!" All at once, I was surrounded by the most annoying yet lovable kids I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. "You came today!" Soyeon chirped as she hugged my waist. "Yeah, of course! You guys missed me too, right?" A chorus of agreements was my reply and I could not stop the grin that found its way onto my face. "Thanks guys, start your warm-up. I'll be back to oversee your spars once I've changed." The spars were done well and I was pleased to know that most of then were on even-footing, with the best being not to far from the worse. After practise, I had chased them home, playfully warning them that any stragglers that I caught would have to clean the gym for a month. They cleared out pretty quickly after that and it was only after I had shut the door to the gym did I realise that I had company.
"What are you still doing here? Do you actually want to clean the gym?" I cuffed Soyeon over the head gently when the surprise wore off. "Let's go grab something to eat, Bomi eonnie." She grinned as she skipped off to the gates, turning back only once to see if I was following her. I rolled my eyes as I caught up with the junior team's captain. Soyeon was my closest junior, often coming to me for advise and help whenever she found herself in a pinch, be it in her studies or taekwondo. "What did you want to talk about?" I asked as we strolled towards the food stalls, bumping my shoulder with hers as we walked in step, side by side. Since we talked to each other quite a lot, I could read her like an open book. And with the atmosphere as tense as it was relaxed, I knew she had something on the tip of her tongue. "Well, I'd apologise in advance but Eunbin told me your were such an idiot." My felt my eyebrows disappear into my fringe. "Eunbin? The junior hapkido captain?" I clarified before a cheeky grin made its way onto my lips. "Oh my, I thought you were both friends?" The laughter that bubbled past my mock curious façade caused Soyeon's cheeks to be flush a light red. "She is my dormmate! Don't change the subject, eonnie!" She pouted and I immediately fell sober, mouth thinning. "Well, what did she tell you?"
Soyeon stopped and faced me, looking at me dead in the eyes. "You like Chorong eonnie, don't you?" A bitter smile replaced my initial expression and I shrugged. "It doesn't matter, either way she's graduating soon." Soyeon's eyes narrowed into slits and she frowned. "You haven't tried, how can you even give up?" I opened my mouth to protest but felt it die when I saw the tiny teardrops that threatened to fall from my junior's eyes. "That was not what you told me when I first started out." She gritted her teeth, continuing after a deep breath. "I know how you think that you don't deserve many things but I want to see you happy as much as Eunji eonnie does. It hurts us to see you undermining yourself like this." I stepped foward, wrapping my arms around Soyeon's thin shoulders. "I'm just afraid," I muttered into her shoulder, feeling tears start to slowly drip down my cheeks. "I know, eonnie. I am too. But that's why we lift each other up, don't we? So that we don't see each other fall." I flashed her a watery smile and hugged her tightly before letting go. "Thanks, Soyeon-ah. I really needed that."
I had walked Soyeon back to her dorm and after bidding the tiny girl goodbye, decided that I needed some fresh air. However, when I reached the cluster of trees in the middle of our dormitories, I saw a figure leaning against the tallest tree, eyes close, chest rising and falling so subtly that I could barely be sure if she was alive. As I neared the unknown girl, I realised that it was Chorong. I felt my feet move on their own accord (traitors) and soon found myself in front of the sleeping girl, noting how she shivered in the cold air. Half of me wanted to wake her, the other half content with just watching her sleep, as creepy as that sounded. As she shifted and curled into herself, I shrugged out of my jacket and gently draped it over her arms, holding my breath in fear of waking her. When she shows no sign of knowing I was there, I took a step back before sitting down. Since she was asleep, it was my job to make sure nothing happened to her in the night, no matter how much I wanted to shut my eyes as well.
I must have nodded off because the next thing I knee, I was awoken by a soft pressure on my right shoulder. Blearily opening my eyes, I realised that Chorong had woken up and was resting on my shoulder as she stared into the gloom. "Eonnie." I greeted, voice raspy from disuse. "Bomi-ah. Why didn't you wake me up?" Chorong asked, voice so soft I had to strain my ears to hear. "Sorry, eonnie." I mumbled, unable to tell her the real reason. "Do you want to go back?" She asked again, not wanting to disrupt the calm quietness that had fallen. I shook my head, feeling her bury deeper into my side. "Then we'll stay here." We sat in silence, Chorong looking at me with an unreadable expression, me squirming under her intense gaze. "Eonnie," "Bomi-ah." We both stopped, startled before Chorong gave a soft smile and motioned me to continue. I took a deep breath, clinging onto Soyeon's words like a lifeline. "Chorong-eonnie, I like you." I said in a rush, praying that she heard me. "I'm sorry?" Her head was tilted and she had the most adorable confused expression on her face. I gulped, all my confidence suddenly vanishing. "Never mind, you can go first!" I forced out, feeling my heartbeat splutter and stop, heart falling to the ground with a solid 'thunk''. "Wait you like me?" I heard her ask and felt all the blood drain from my face, hands instantly becoming clammy. Shaking my head desperately, I repeated quickly, "It's nothing. Eonnie, you can go first."
Chorong looked at me weirdly before blinking, a blank look coming over her eyes suddenly. "Bomi," She began, shifting so she faced me. "Why are you running?" I shifted backwards, trembling like a leaf in the wind. Chorong froze, sitting straight in her spot. "Tell you something," Her calm voice did nothing to hide the disappointed look in her eyes. "You running forever won't solve the problem. If you don't face it, then it'll forever just be there. No one's gonna be happy. Not you, Soyeon, Eunji or even... Even me." I blinked, her words sinking in slowly through the daze. "Huh?" I grunted intelligently, making Chorong crack a small smile, hand reaching forwards for mine. "I like you too. Always have, always will." I just continued to stare at her, words suddenly sticking in my throat. "I know, it's alot to take in but-" "I like you too eonnie!" I burst out, no control over my actions. Surging fowards, I buried my face into her shoulder, relief and happiness rendering me completely speechless. "You took quite awhile." I heard her mutter fondly into my hair, voice cracking from what I was sure were tears running down her face. "But I'm glad." Chorong continued as she began my head gently, hugging me closer to her with her other hand. "I'll stay with you forever."