1/1

Are They Dating?

“Do you think turkey would go well with mayonnaise or mustard?” Soonyoung asks with eyes darting back and forth at the products in his hands.

Jihoon stands besides the boy. He rolls his eyes and shakes his head, still blaming himself at what a big mistake it had been to go grocery shopping with Soonyoung. Then again, they are roommates after all and Jihoon didn’t feel like carrying all the bags.

They’ve been stuck in the dairy aisle for a while now (is mayonnaise in the dairy category?) and Jihoon has lost count of how many times Soonyoung has asked the same question over and over. The younger figured if he’d just ignored, then the questions would stop.

“Hey, Hoon, do we have mayo at home already or nah?”

There’s a small pause from Jihoon. “Uh, yeah.” Jihoon answers. “I think we already have four or five bottles. You know, because you just so happen to buy a bottle every time we come grocery shopping.”

Soonyoung stares at the latter with an offended expression, moving his neck back a little so that a small bit of fat met his chin.  “Rude,”he mumbles under his breath and Jihoon pretends he doesn’t hear him.

There’s a peaceful silence - Soonyoung must’ve put another bottle of mayo into the cart already - and Jihoon manages to check off the last item on his list.

They head over to the fruits section. Jihoon holds onto the cart because the last time Soonyoung was in charge it, he slid both himself and the cart into the seafood aisle.

“Alright we’re all done!” Soonyoung cheers, bags flying in the air when they exit the supermarket. Jihoon swears they’re going to get kicked out next time judging from the stare the manager had giving them the whole time.

Stupid Soonyoung and his cart.

“Hey, look,” Soonyoung begins.

“Soonyoung, if it’s about the pigeon you fed before I’m telling you for the thousandth time, it doesn’t think you’re its dad.”

“No, no, not that.” Soonyoung says and points at the clothing shop  across the street where they see a familiar tall figure. “And for your information, my baby bird son will come back. A child never forgets whoever feeds them.”

Jihoon is so done.

“Isn’t that Mingyu though?” Soonyoung continues and Jihoon agrees. With that height and those looks, Mingyu isn’t really a difficult person to find.

The boy is dressed casually: blue jeans, white t-shirt under a nice cardigan. He has a cap on and is sipping on what seemed to be an ice americano.

“He looks nice,” Soonyoung comments, “think he’s on a date?”

“He’s obviously on a date looking like that.” Jihoon agrees. “But who’s he dating?” Jihoon doesn’t recall Mingyu confirming he’s in any relationship at the moment.

“I don’t know but she must be pretty.”

Jihoon somewhat agrees.

“Wanna sneak up on him and see who he’s dating?”

“Soonyoung no.”

Mingyu seems to be waiting for his girlfriend(?). He’s leaning against a traffic pole, staring into the shop, occasionally nodding and shaking his head.

Soonyoung gets curious, already on the verge of crossing the street to get closer. He’s begging Jihoon already, stomping his feet like a child wanting a toy.

In the end, Jihoon follows Soonyoung to sneak towards Mingyu. It had been either that choice or elbowing Soonyoung in the stomach. But Jihoon is passive. He doesn’t like violence.

“See anything?” Soonyoung asks for the tenth time and Jihoon gives out an annoyed sigh.

“Not since the ninth time you asked me.” Jihoon sasses and Soonyoung pouts. They continue to stare at Mingyu for the next few minutes and jihoon is already thinking of leaving. “This is stupid, I’m going.”

“Wait! Look!”

Someone walks out from the clothing store and Jihoon swears he’s on the verge of falling from the weight Soonyoung is pressing on him just to get a closer look.

“Is that…”

Jihoon eyes widen. “I don’t believe it.” He says under his breath.

Wonwoo steps out of the clothing store with a purchased bag. He’s dressed nicely: blue jeans, a black sweater, and a matching cap with Mingyu.

Jihoon is in disbelief. He and Wonwoo has known each other for years now and they have never kept a secret from each other.

“You’re like two valley girls. I won’t be surprised if you two have matching BFF bracelets and braid each other’s hair.”

“Shut the up, Soonyoung.”

“Ready to go?” The two of them hear Mingyu question and Wonwoo nods, walking side by side with the taller. Soonyoung suggests they should follow them and for once Jihoon couldn’t agree more.

Wonwoo and Mingyu stop by a couple of stores. They had went to the bakery, stationery, arcade and every step seemed to become more and more like a date.

“I can’t believe they’re dating.”

“Calm down, they could just be hanging out.”

“Which one do you want?” Mingyu asks when they’re at the ice cream stand. He smiles when Wonwoo is pondering his decision and the older orders a chocolate. “Two chocolates please.” Mingyu pays for both the ice cream.

The couple’s walking through the park now, strolling side by side with smiles on their faces. There’s a point when Wonwoo slaps Mingyu’s arm but they’re laughing; Mingyu must’ve said one of his dumb jokes.

“Oh my god, they’re dating.” Soonyoung says and looks over to Jihoon who is texting away on his phone. “What are you doing?”

“Looking for a S.O.S”

 

“So I guess I’ll see you tomorrow?” Mingyu asks when they reach Wonwoo’s house. The older gives a small shrug and fixes his hair underneath his cap. Mingyu smiles. “Wait, you have an eyelash.” He says, his fingers reach out towards Wonwoo cheek.

“THEY’RE KISSING!” Soonyoung whispers to Jihoon. The two peek from the bushes across the street and Soonyoung covers his mouth when he sees Mingyu’s back slowly pressing up against Wonwoo. “THEY’RE. KISSING.”

“Did you get it yet?” Wonwoo asks, his eyes squeezing shut as Mingyu’s fingers brush against his cheeks.

“Wait, hold on, almost.” Mingyu answers. “Alright, got it.” He blows the eyelash away and smiles at the shorter. He comments about how fun the day had been and Wonwoo smiles his eyes into crescents. “Sorry about getting chocolate on your cap.” He says, his hand brushing against the stain.

“HE JUST KISSED WONWOO’S CAP.”

“SOONYOUNG. SHUT THE UP.”

Wonwoo laughs. “It’s fine. I’ll wash it off.” He smiles into his sweater paws. “Anyway I have to go. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Mingyu smiles back. “Yeah, see you.”

 

sthecoups: “what are you talking about? Wonwoo and Mingyu?”

angel004: “already saw it coming.”

guitarlover17: “they’re so cute together!”

greasyjunaf: “okay this is news?”

hoshistar: “I’m telling you Jihoonie and I saw them dating! THEY’RE ON A DATE.”

woozizi: “soonyoung stop telling in my ear.”

dkisjeonghansunshine: “MINGYU . BRO .I THOUGHT WE HAD A PACT NEITHER OF US WERE SUPPOSED TO DATE. ”

woozizi: “can you calm down . mingyu isn’t even in this damn chat.”

savage8: “eh? But this is good news right?”

divaboo98: “i better be the best man at their wedding.”

itsyaboivernon: “seungkwan get your foot off my coffee table .”

notjeonghansaegi: “hyung, are you being serious? THEY’RE DATING?”

woozizi: [picture sent to chat]

angel1004: “OH MY GOD.”

sthecoups: “THEY’RE DATING.”

hoshistar: “when did you even take this picture?”

woozizi: “when you were too busy feeding the damn pigeons.”

guitarlover17: “guys we shouldn’t bother their relationship. we should be happy for them.”

woozizi: “LOL that .”

guitarlover17: “JIHOON. LANGUAGE.”

dkisjeonghansunshine: “BRO. WHY WOULD U BREAK OUR BRO PACT . BRO.”

 

“Okay but why can’t we just ask if they’re dating?” Soonyoung asks the next day. They had just arrived in school a few minutes ago but Soonyoung has been asking the same question since this morning.

“Because I don’t want to make things awkward.” Jihoon answers. He gets to his locker and misses slamming it into Soonyoung’s face. Getting his books for the day, the two head to homeroom where Wonwoo will be as well.

Like usual, Wonwoo sits at his seat, eyes diligently reading a book. Jihoon places his bag on his desk, giving Soonyoung a cautious stare before making his way to Wonwoo.

“What’s up.” Jihoon casually starts and Wonwoo looks up, hi fiving the shorter. He sits down in the seat next to him. Jihoon doesn't know whose seat it is, but it’s probably that Junhong’s seat judging from how much leg room there is.

Wonwoo is still reading his book, casually flipping the pages. He’s part of the student council after all; a sophisticated, straight A student, and an online shopping model

“So...what did you do over the weekend?”

Wonwoo flips a page. “Not much.” He says nonchalantly and Jihoon nods slowly, a curious expression still on his face.

Jihoon has known Wonwoo since preschool. They were the only ones smart enough to know that crayons were not food.  

Unlike Soonyoung, Wonwoo is the quiet type, usually talking when he is spoken to (or maybe he does talk but no one really hears him) and Jihoon can often have a comfortable silence with him. Gosh why couldn’t Wonwoo have been his roommate.

“So you didn't do anything exciting?” Jihoon continues. “Like...you didn’t go outside or anything? You know, hang out with someone?”

Wonwoo looks at him with a raised eyebrow. “No?” He answers confusedly. “I mean, I did hang out with some of my friends but we didn’t really do anything exciting.”

Jihoon’s eyes perk up. “Who did you hang out with?” There’s a blink from Wonwoo. “I-I mean not that I really care or anything.

Wonwoo shrugs. “Well I was with Momo, Sana, Youngjae, and Wooshin.”

“That’s it? No one else.”

“...No? Why?”

Jihoon bites his lower lip. “No, nothing, nothing.” He says as he waves his hands in defense. “Not but really you didn’t hang out with anyone else?”

“No?”

“Alright, alright.” With that the bell rings and Jihoon heads back to his seat, sending eye signals to Soonyoung in return gasps.

 

Lunch is probably Soonyoung’s favorite time of the day. He’s sitting with his squad and listening to Seungkwan rambling about how the school pizza isn’t really pizza but just squashed tomatoes dumped onto raw dough.

The cafeteria is pretty crowded, people running in and out as they get the decorations ready for the upcoming school festival.

“Hey, guys,” Mingyu greets and sits down next to Seokmin who gives him a dirty look. “What? Did I do something?”

Seokmin shakes his head. “You don’t even know.” He said in the most offended voice ever. “I thought we were bros, bro.” He hisses.

Mingyu freezes. “Uh...I thought we are?”

Seokmin squints his eyes. “I thought we were too.” He says and dramatically leaves the table, leaving Mingyu mind blown confused. “Um okay.”

It hasn’t been long when Seokmin returns and the rest of the group arrive. Wonwoo arrives with Jihoon and he sits near the end, far from Mingyu.

Soonyoung sends Jihoon some signals and Jihoon responses with a pair of rolled eyes. “Aren’t we sitting a bit far?” Jihoon says to Wonwoo and he brings him closer to the group - closer to Mingyu that is.

“So how was your weekend, Gyu?” Seungcheol speaks up and Mingyu looks at him casually.

“It was good. We won our basketball game on Saturday.”

Not only is Mingyu the star ace of the basketball team, he’s also in the art club which is in charge of the designing some random that Jihoon doesn’t give two s about.

“Did you do anything…” Seungcheol pretends to think. “Anything special? Like you know, hang out with anyone?”

Mingyu blinks. “No?” He says. Neither of him or Wonwoo are acting suspicious, as if they weren’t together just the day before.

Wonwoo’s munching on his sandwich and laughing at some joke Soonyoung suddenly made while Mingyu has been busy trying to find out what Seokmin is so salty about.

Wonwoo and Mingyu don’t seem like close friends anyway, at least not in the school. Minghao mentioned that the two seem more like acquaintances.

Neither of them have classes together and neither of them have really been seen hanging out together (except for the day prior).

Wonwoo has always been busy with student council meetings and online modeling while Mingyu can be usually found at his basketball games or in the school’s art department.

“Well I found something interesting over the weekend.” Jeonghan starts and Jihoon is startled at how sudden the older was. “I was reading an article about “Sudden Lovers.” Jeonghan says and he’s looking directly at Wonwoo and Mingyu who in return unaffected and somewhat curious.

“Oh isn’t there a movie about that?” Chan joins in brightly. “Something like ‘I Know What You Did Yesterday So You Better Spill The Beans.’”

Wonwoo blinks. “That’s a long title for a movie.” He says before standing. “Anyway, I have to return a book to the library so I’ll see you guys later.”

They watch him leave and turn to see Mingyu eating his lunch. He doesn’t seem to notice Wonwoo’s departure which leaves the rest entirely confused.

“Oh  right,” Hansol suddenly says, “Seungkwan ah, we’re on cleanup duty today so you can’t go karaoke.”

“WHAT?”

“Don’t ‘what’ me, I know you know we have cleanup duty.”

Seungkwan rolls his eyes. “Fine. Fine.” He says and Mingyu stands up from the end of the table, stating that he something to do. The rest wave him off before giving each other stares.

“Maybe they’re not going out?”

 

“I just don’t understand.” Seungkwan starts as he aggressively clapping the chalkboard erasers through the window. “There are janitors for a reason. Why do us students need to clean the classrooms instead.”

Hansol gives an eye roll. “You whine too much. Now hurry up with your low quality eraser clapping.”

Seungkwan gasps. He’s offended. “Low quality?” He spits. “LOW QUALITY? GIRL, I AM BEST QUALITY. I AM-”

“Mingyu, stop!” A familiar voice laughs from the hallway. Hansol and Seungkwan blink at each other, realizing that voice belongs to Wonwoo. “Mingyu, I swear to god!”

There is that dumb laugh from Mingyu that makes Seungkwan and Hansol slowly peek out the door to see Wonwoo and Mingyu by the window, laughing to themselves.

Hansol covers his mouth to hold back a gasp. Mingyu is pressing Wonwoo against the windowsill, smiling a little close to the latter.

“Are they kissing?” Seungkwan whispers but the answer is inclusive. Mingyu is still laughing, getting some charcoal like substance off of Wonwoo’s cheek.

“What are they even doing here in school this late?”

“It’s not coming off.” Mingyu comments and Wonwoo glares in response.

“You’re so clumsy gosh.” Wonwoo replies. Mingyu gives a big laugh and Wonwoo hits shoulder. “I’m going home.” He pouts and Mingyu laughs again, taking Wonwoo by his wrist.

“Fine, fine. I’ll walk you home.” He gives in and follows up on Wonwoo, slipping a hand around Wonwoo’s waist.

Seungkwan and Hansol’s eyes widen at the action. They look at each other, hands spazzing about. “They’re dating! They’re dating! Quick, call the rest!”

 

Jihoon follows Wonwoo around school the next few days. There hasn’t been any more moments about the latter with Mingyu. Though there has been some hints and signals here and there.

“Still nothing.” Soonyoung says when he comes back from watching Mingyu in the basketball court.

Wonwoo is strolling through the halls coming from a council meeting. He looks professional walking in his neat uniform and with the packets of papers stacked diligently in his hands.

It wouldn’t be that bad dating Wonwoo, Jihoon thinks to himself, look how diligent he is. I bet he’d be a great roommate.

“Hey, Jihoon, how many mini donuts do you think I can fit into my mouth?”

“Soonyoung no.”

Mingyu makes his way down the hall. He’s laughing along with his friends as he starts to get closer and closer to Wonwoo. They don’t make eye contact though or any contact at all; Wonwoo looking straight ahead while Mingyu’s laughing with his friends.

“Did they have a fight?” Soonyoung asks.

“We don’t even know if they’re in a relationship. How do you expect a fight?”

“I heard from Seungkwan and Hansol that they’ve been hanging around together a lot after school. And from the pictures, they really look like a couple.”

“Gosh Soonyoung, shut up, they’ll notice us.”

“What are you guys doing?” Mingyu suddenly asks as he towers over the hiding two. He blinks at them and they blink back like deer in headlights. “What are you looking at?”

“Nothing,” Jihoon casually answers as Soonyoung panics. “What have you been up to?”

“Me? Not much.” Mingyu answers and Jihoon raises a brow.

“Uh huh.” The unfeigned expression of Mingyu made Jihoon think twice. He knows something is going on with the younger yet there are no hints about it. “Hey, you’re not in any relationship right now, are you?”

Mingyu raises a brow. “Me? Not really, why?”

“Just asking.”

Mingyu shrugs, knowing there’s no point in arguing with his short hyung. He excuses himself, saying he has some art activities to finish. He walks down the hall, leaving Jihoon and Soonyoung.

“You’re really not funny.” Wonwoo says from the corner and there is a laugh from Mingyu. Jihoon peeks his head from the corner to hear Wonwoo give out a cute drawn out whine. “I have a meeting to go to.”

Mingyu wipes the stray hair out of Wonwoo’s eyes. “I have a basketball game later.” He starts. “Wanna meet up later then?”

Wonwoo smiles. “Sure.” He says and Mingyu brightens before heading down the hall. He doesn’t see Jihoon hide when he walks his way and keeps on walking.

Jihoon darts to Wonwoo, taking him by his wrist and dragging him to the closest empty room possible. “Alright be like spoiled milk and spill. “Jihoon demands and folds his arms as he blocks the door for Wonwoo to escape.

“What?” Wonwoo questions in return and shakes his head. “Jihoon, I have a meeting to go to. I'm not playing any games.”

Jihoon refuses to believe his friend. “You’re lying.” He says. “You and Mingyu are dating aren’t you?”

Wonwoo’s eyes widen. “What?” He looks genuinely confused. “Wait...what?”

“You and Mingyu. You're not dating?”

“I’m not?” Wonwoo questions in return. “Wait people think we’re dating? How?”

“Well one, Soonyoung and I caught you two on a date the other day. Two, you two have been awfully close to together. Three, the kids said you guys have been hanging out late after school. And four, you guys walk home together now?”

Wonwoo begins to laugh. His laugh his genuine as if it has been the funniest thing ever heard. “Oh my gosh this is hilarious.” He says. “Hoon, Mingyu and I aren’t dating.”

“So what have you two been doing together then?”

“Mingyu’s part of the painting committee for the school festival coming up. And since the council voted me in charge of it this year, I’m partnered up with him for the festival.”

“You’re kidding.”

“I don’t joke around, Hoon.” There’s sigh from Jihoon and Wonwoo is still laughing. “Do people really think we’re dating?”

“Everyone in the school thinks you’re dating.”

Wonwoo shrugs. “I mean Mingyu’s cute I guess. But I don’t think he’s my type.” He admits casually and Jihoon wants to smack himself at how ridiculous he feels right now.

 

“Hey, pass the salt.” Mingyu says to Seokmin as his hand already stretches out so he could make his sandwich taste better. He raises a brow when Seokmin ignores him bluntly with an annoyed expression. “Dude you alright? You haven’t talked to me in days.”

Seokmin gives the other a dramatic look, rolling his eyes after. “Oh so it’s my fault? You know I thought we were bros, bro. WE WERE BROS.”

“Whoa, calm down. I’m right here, you don’t have to yell.” Mingyu comments as he winces from how loud Seokmin is. “Did I do something wrong?”

Seokmin huffs. “I don’t know.” He says sarcastically. “Did you?”

“Seokmin what the are you five.”

“Maybe I am.”

“What the .”

Seokmin continues to roll his eyes and Mingyu swears the other is crazy. “Dude seriously.” He says with a serious tone this time and Seokmin finally gives in.

“Bro, I can’t believe you’re dating Wonwoo, bro.” Seokmin confesses. “I thought we had a pact if one of us isn't dating the other isn’t either. YOU BROKE THE PACT BRO.WE HARDLY HANG OUT ANYMORE BECAUSE YOU’RE ALWAYS WITH YOUR NEW BOYFRIEND. I HAD TO FIND A NEW SODA CHUGGING BUDDY, A NEW BRO, I-”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa.” Mingyu stops Seokmin, hands defensively throwing in the air. “What? I’m not dating Wonwoo and we never made that pact.”

“Wait, you’re not dating Wonwoo?”

“No? Who said I was?”

“Well I just assumed and now everyone...oh no.” Seokmin gives a little gasp and Mingyu raises a brow. “Well I mean on the bright side you’re not dating anyone.”

“People think we’re dating?”

“Yeah basically.”

Mingyu laughs. “I wouldn’t mind dating Wonwoo. But he’s not my type.” He says with a shrug and bites into his sandwich. “We’re both on the painting committee for the festival so that’s why we’ve been hanging out together.”

“Jihoon hyung and Soonyoung hyung said you had a date on Saturday?”

“A date? Oh that, no we just happened to meet up. I was coming from basketball practice and he  was coming from work.”

“So you guys really aren’t dating?”

Mingyu shakes his head. “Sorry to disappoint you.” He jokes.

 

“God, I feel so stupid.” Jihoon comments as he buries his face into his hands. “Of course Wonwoo isn’t dating, I was so stupid to even think so.”

Soonyoung sits across of the shorter. He’s munching on his pudding and chuckles at Jihoon slapping himself. “Eh I’m a little disappointed. They looked cute together.”

Jihoon rolls his eyes. Oh how great it would be to be as carefree as Soonyoung. He looks to the side and sees Wonwoo walking in the hall. The other looked as professional as usual, walking with his neat uniform and packets of paper for the council.

But today he looks a little different. Jihoon ponders. He has never seen that leather jacket on Wonwoo before. Curious, Jihoon looks out the door, his eyes following Wonwoo with his somewhat new jacket.

“You’re late.” Mingyu says to Wonwoo, his eyes sparkling more than ever.

Jihoon hears Wonwoo laugh. “Sorry.” He says oh so sweetly. “I had some business to take care of.”

“What’s more important than me?”

Jihoon raises his brow at the younger’s tone. He watches as Mingyu takes Wonwoo’s hand perfectly and they begin to stroll down the hall. Jihoon shrugs.

They’re probably just good friends.

 

“Do you think they found out?” Wonwoo asks lightly, his thin fingers fixing the messy collar of Mingyu’s uniform. “I think Jihoon is onto us.” He bites his lips.

Mingyu gives a small laugh though. “Remind me again why we have to keep us secret?”

Wonwoo rolls his eyes. “Because,” he begins, “if anyone found out, especially the student council, that I’m dating you, all hell will break loose. Everyone's going to ask questions, take pictures and all that. It’s annoying.”

Mingyu smiles. “I don’t mind.” He says, pressing his lips against Wonwoo’s temple. “As long as I’m with you, I'm fine.”

“Ew, stop.”

“You know you like it.”

Wonwoo rolls his eyes again but he smiles. “Idiot,” he says and pulls Mingyu’s collar down for a kiss. “I do have another thing on my mind though.”

“What is it?”

“Are Jihoon and Soonyoung dating?”