...

Of arguments and break-ups

How can someone go from being infatuated and blinded by love to absolute nothing?

How can three simple words break so many promises?

How can those three words crumble down everything you’ve built and hoped for the future?

Question after question filled his mind as he stood in front of the man he had called his boyfriend only a few seconds ago. A title he had become so used to referring him as, until the other had said those words. The words that everyone dreaded to hear.

“Let’s break up.”

His breath hitched, unknown to the other. He didn’t even know how to react. Didn’t know what to say. Didn’t know if he should walk away, or just break down, begging him to stay. He simply just stood there, slowly comprehending that it was the end for the both of them.

There was no more ‘us’. No more ‘together’.

They were no longer ‘one’. No, they were two different people now. Two different people who had met paths one day, decided to stay for a while, before parting in different directions.

 They were back to being strangers.

Everything they once had and did, would be forgotten. They would not be reminisced. They would be buried in their unwanted memories.

“You don’t mean this.” He finally says.

“I do.” The other replied.

He thought he had heard hesitation, but it was probably simply a fragment of his imagination, as half of him still hoped and prayed that it was all just a joke.

“Why?”

“I can no longer picture a future where the both of us are together. Every time I try to imagine my future, you’re not there.”

“But it doesn’t mean that that would happen right?” He asked, his lips beginning to tremble. But he refused to break down and cry in front of the other.

“My heart doesn’t flutter when I’m around you anymore.”

“But why?”

“It just doesn’t. It died long ago, I was just too scared to admit it. I thought you were the one, and I didn’t want to admit that I was wrong. But now I can’t take it anymore. Being with you makes me miserable.” He concluded.

“Woohyun…” The name he had been so used to calling, now seemed like a word of different tongue.

“I’m sorry.”

He shook his head, persuading himself that what was happening at this moment was a dream- no, a nightmare.

He refused to face the other. He refused to say anything. He was waiting for the other to laugh. To say that it was all a joke. To kiss his tears away. To shower him with promises that they would never break up.

“Please say something.” The other said.

He shook his head, “I have nothing to say.”

He sighed, “I really did love you… Sungyeol.”

Even his name had sound foreign in his ears.

“I still love you.” He whispered pathetically.

Woohyun sighed, “I know.”

Sungyeol looked up finally, seeing the shock look from the other as he saw him cry for the first time. He smiled through his tears, “I still love you. But I understand.” He was trying so hard to be mature about the situation. To not break down and beg on the floor. He remembered his pride, and believed that one day, when he had gotten over this, he would be proud of the way he acted on this day. “I want you to be happy.” He ended lamely.

“You’re not mad?” He questioned softly.

Sungyeol chuckled dryly, “Of course I am. I’m furious.” He saw the other’s head drop down, “But mainly at myself. For not trying hard enough to keep you. And for letting myself fall too hard.”

“I’m sorry, Sungyeol.”

“It’s really okay.” He smiled. “But let’s not meet until I move on, deal?”

Woohyun smiled sadly, “I’ll miss you.”

“Me too.” Sungyeol replied. They awkwardly hugged, and soon enough, they parted ways, but not before he had heard his ex murmur quietly, “You deserve so much better than me.”

No I don’t.

~

Sungyeol took little steps, slowly pushing himself to get home.

Don’t break down. He thought.

You’re much better than this.

Get a hold onto yourself.

His breaths became irregular as he tried to choke back the sobs that were coming up his throat.

Climbing up the stairs, he let out deep exhales to calm himself.

At least wait until you get home.

Pulling out his keys, he noticed that the lights were still on. His roommate was still awake.

But he didn’t care anymore.

He couldn’t handle it.

Everything was sinking in.

The man that he had loved was gone.

They were never going to see each other anymore.

He unlocked the door, hearing his roommate greet him lazily like it was any other day.

Except it wasn’t like any other day.

He didn’t reply.

Instead, he collapsed on the floor, letting out a loud sob, as he dropped his keys on the ground.

Everything he had once imagined was gone.

“Sungyeol?” His roommate called out concerned, although everything he had heard at that moment were muffled out by his loud cries.

He soon felt a hand slowly circling his back.

He knew that the other knew what had happened.

They were best friends after all.

His sobs died down, but the circling hand continued to comfort him.

He was exhausted. But he didn’t want to sleep yet.

“Want to watch a movie?” His roommate asked, as though reading his mind.

He nodded.

~

None of them paid attention to the 3 hour long movie. Sungyeol felt his best friend’s concern stares at him, but he chose to ignore them. His eyes were fixated on the television screen, however his mind was floating somewhere else.

Soon enough, the movie ended, and the 10 minute long credit began to roll. Sungyeol slowly rested his head on his friend’s lap, who began to gently play with his dark brown hair.

His eyelids were slowly getting heavy, as his body felt relaxed and calm.

~

Sungyeol woke up in the morning in his own bed. He sat up, rubbing his eyes and stretching as the memories from last night began to flow back.

He sighed sadly, shuffling slowly to the bathroom to empty his bladder, before slipping back into bed.

He was in no mood to go anywhere today.

After an hour of lying blankly on his bed, he heard the door creak open, and the strong aromatic coffee invading his nostrils, reminding him of how hungry he was.

“Morning.” His friend mumbled.

He didn’t reply.

“I made food. Well, I tried. I got up early to make sure they were edible.” He blabbered making Sungyeol chuckle slightly.

“Thanks, Myungsoo.” He said.

His friend knew that the other was still upset. He never called him by his full name unless he was upset.

Slowly, he made his way to Sungyeol, sitting on his bed, before gently placing the small table onto the bed.

“You want me to feed you?” Myungsoo asked teasingly, trying to cheer the latter up.

He smiled, “I’m a grown man, Myungsoo.” He replied, reaching for a spoon and slowing began to consume the food.

He had no appetite to eat, but he didn’t want to make the other upset. It was a rare moment to see the other awake before 8, let alone see that he had also cook a meal and was edible and tasted decent.

He felt the hot soup scorch his tongue, but he hadn’t even felt the pain. The throbbing pain in his heart hurt so much it had numbed anything else.

Once finished, they sat in silence.

Sungyeol sighed. He thought of his breakup. It was the first relationship he had ever been in, Unlike Myungsoo who had been in countless of relationships, as well as even more admirers. Although his relationships put together were probably shorter than Sungyeol’s one, he knew that his best friend had everything.

He didn’t even know why they were friends.

They were the complete opposite.

Sungyeol was an introvert and loved staying at home. Myungsoo was an extrovert and partied all night long if he wanted to.

Sungyeol was a book nerd. He had read all the classics at least three times, whereas Myungsoo was more into sports.

Sungyeol had more of an outgoing, carefree look, whereas Myungsoo displayed a more mysterious and cold look.

Sungyeol was tall and very lanky. Although he was described as cute and adorable by many, he was never an appeal to females, or males in that sense. Myungsoo, on the other hand, was tall, but not as tall as Sungyeol. He had muscles in all the right places, and was described as hot and y on many occasions, getting confessions from all genders on a daily basis.

They were complete opposites.

Yet they knew everything about each other. They were best friends, where only Sungyeol had seen the mysterious Myungsoo change into a crazy Myungsoo whose laugh was so unattractive as he let out a loud cackling noise, slapping his thighs and hands together like a seal. And only where Myungsoo had seen the carefree Sungyeol whose life seemed perfect, breakdown right in front of him, as he attempted to reach for the knife to end his life.

They were completely opposite. Yet, they were the same.

Sungyeol sighed.

“What are you thinking?”

“You.” Sungyeol admitted.

“Me?”

He nodded, “You’re so lucky.”

“What?”

He faced Myungsoo who looked confused, “I treasured that relationship so much.” He continued softly. “I really thought that he was the one. I felt so loved. I’ve never felt so loved like that before.”

“But I love you.”

Sungyeol snorted, “That’s because you’re my friend.”

Myungsoo shook his head, “And I stayed to be your friend because I love you too.”

He sighed, “You’re so lucky. You can get anyone you wanted with a snap of a finger.” He replied sadly.

“That’s lucky?”

“I couldn’t even keep one from lasting.”

“And you think I have?” He felt his friend’s anger rising, but he was too into his thoughts to stop.

Tears began to pool once again, “I wish people could love me like how they love you.”

“Sungyeol, shut up.” Myungsoo gritted.

“I was never good enough for him anyways.”

“Sung. Yeol.”

“I wish I was you.” He sighed.

A silence consumed them for merely a second, before a loud bang was heard, as Myungsoo punched the cabinet beside the bed, “Goddammit Sungyeol. Shut up. Just shut. Up.” He yelled.

“And why should I?” He yelled back, tears running down his face.

“Do you think I want this? To have people like me? Do you think that I live a perfect life?”

“Of course!” He shouted, “How could I think otherwise? You’re always so happy. I’ve never seen you cry. I’ve never seen you breakdown. You live your life like so carelessly! You only think about yourself. You have everyone chasing after you, and you know what? Every single person I liked always went to you. I was never an option for them. Not even once. And then I found him. He had mutual feelings for me. I was finally a choice. Don’t you realize how happy I felt? To not be someone’s last choice? But of course you wouldn’t understand how it felt to live alongside someone like you and continuously be the last choice. To be used just to get to someone as perfect as you. You wouldn’t understand any of it. Because you’ve always been everyone’s first choice. Being with you had always been like winning the lottery.”

Myungsoo was speechless. To have heard this confession was a shock for him. He never thought that the other felt that way, but it had only made him angrier.

“Do you really think that way?”

Silence was the only reply.

“Do you really think that I was everyone’s first choice? Well how about I tell you that all those people don’t matter to me? What if I told you that for 4 years now, I’ve been loving someone from afar, but I wasn’t even close to being in their league. You say that I’m everyone’s first choice, but what if this person never even considered me as someone they’d date. You say it hurts being the last option, but I’ll tell you what hurts even more. What hurts infinitely times more than that, is when the person you love treats you nothing more than a friend, and tells you the people they love. And you’re never on the list. And you have to be happy when you hear that list, even though you begin to hate all of them, since because of them, they can’t even look at you and see you in a different light. You know what hurts even more? To see the one you love date another person and pretend to be happy. To smile and befriend a person who is the reason why the two of you can’t be together. To always be the ing second option, when they get hurt. They’ll forget about you once they are happy, but once they are broken and hurt, they would come back to you. A continuous cycle, to the point where your selfish mind begins to wish that they become hurt more just so you could spend time with them. Do you know how that feels? Tell me, do I live a perfect life?”

“Myungsoo…”

“But you wouldn’t understand.” He mocked bitterly before leaving, slamming the door shut.

~

Myungsoo hadn’t come home that night.

Nor the next day.

Nor the next week.

Sungyeol stared lifelessly at the ceiling. He wasn’t crying. There were no more tears in him, after all. He hadn’t left the house in more than a week, and rarely did he even leave bed. It was only when he needed to empty his bladder or reluctantly grab something to eat- mostly just a packet of chips and a bottle of soda.

He hated himself at that moment.

He had lost two of the most important people in his life within the span of 10 hours, and now there he was, rotting lifelessly on his bed.

But it would have been a lie if Sungyeol had said that he had thought of his ex-boyfriend and best friend equally. Sungyeol hadn’t thought once of his ex-boyfriend. It was as if the break up no longer affected him. What hurt him the most, was losing his best friend over his stupid emotions.

He knew he should have done something. To at least get his best friend back. But there he was, lying in a pool of his self-pity and misery.

He thought he heard a knock. But then again, Sungyeol hadn’t had decent sleep for more than a week. There was no one who would even visit him anyways. He shifted his weight to the right and buried his face in the pillow, as if trying to stop himself from falling into further insanity.

A louder knock was heard.

He sat up. Staring confusedly at the door. Who would be there?

His heart beat slightly quicker as he thought of one person who would come to this house. Myungsoo.

A knock could be heard once more, louder than the last two, and without a second thought, Sungyeol sprung up to answer.

“Myun-” He breathed out, as he opened the door, only to be halted in disappointment as he saw someone else. “Dongwoo.”

“I’m sorry.” He apologized.

“No, I just thought you were someone else.” He mumbled in reply.

“Myungsoo?” Dongwoo asked sympathetically.

He smiled bitterly and avoided his contact, “Come in.”

“Have you even tried contacting him?”

“No.” Sungyeol paused and faced his friend, “Do you know what happened?”

“He explained to me what happened.” He nodded.

“Then you should know that I messed up. He won’t have a reason to want to see me.”

“But you have a reason to see him.”

Sungyeol let out a sad exhale.

“You wallow too much in self-pity, Sungyeol. You say that you’ve done wrong, but you’re not doing anything to fix it. I can see that the both of you are miserable. Myungsoo’s staying with us.” He said.

“What?”

“But he’s practically gone. I admit, I was pretty mad at you when I heard what happened, but now I’m madder at the two of you. You both are childish. Myungsoo is stubborn and you’re just selfish.” He attacked, “You both want to forgive and forget but you’re doing anything about it. Maybe you should listen to him. Myungsoo hints a lot of things, but you’re too dense to understand.”

“What are you talking about Dongwoo.” He muttered.

Dongwoo stared at the other, as though contemplating on his next choice of words. In a low voice he asked, “Do you who he’s liked for 4 years?”

Sungyeol blinked and stared back. Of course he did. They were best friends. They told each other everything. But, why wasn’t a name appearing in his head. “I- I don’t.” He admitted.

“Well, you guys are best friends, he’d tell you everything right?”

He nodded slowly.

“So why didn’t he tell you this one?”

He paused and thought about it. “H-He’s told me about features of the person he likes.” Remembering a drunken conversation the two had over a month ago.

“What were they?”

“Um, he says that he likes people who are silly, but can be serious. Those who are cute, but tall. I-I don’t remember what else.” He said furrowing his brows.

“Doesn’t that remind you of someone?”

He shook his head, “I don’t know anyone like that.”

Dongwoo scoffed in frustration and ran his fingers through his hair, “Are you serious?”

“What?”

“Remind me, how long have you and Myungsoo been friends?”

“How is that relevant, Dongwoo?” He asked, beginning to become weary from the unnecessary questions.

“Just answer.”

“Around 4 years? Almost 5 years?”

Dongwoo shot him a look, however Sungyeol could not understand what the look had meant.

“This is what I meant by dense.” He muttered. “Think about it Sungyeol. I’m sick of Myungsoo moping around the house. Please apologize and make up with each other.”

~

Another long week had passed and Sungyeol ‘s mind had continuously trailed back to Myungsoo.

He sighed, sitting up, angry at himself. HE was going to back things right. He was going to get his best friend back.

He stood outside the door of the house, pacing back and forth as he contemplated on whether or not it was a good decision.

“Who are you?” He jumped, facing the half asleep male, “Oh, Sungyeol?”

“Hoya, hi.” He greeted awkwardly.

“Have you come to take him back? I mean, I like the kid, but it’s getting a bit… weird.” He finished.

Sungyeol nodded, “Can I come in?”

~

“I’m not talking to him.”

“I’m right here, Myungsoo. You don’t have to refer to me in third person.”

“Tell him I’m not done being angry with him.”

“Well I’m done being angry with you, so can’t you just go home?”

“Tell him I don’t want to talk to him.”

Sungyeol sighed, as the other couple decided to use this chance to take their leave.

“I’m sorry, Myungsoo. I was just overwhelmed with feelings that night. And you just happened to be there. And I knew I should have thought twice about my words. But I was just sick of everything. How nothing worked out for me. I just kept thinking that I was worthless. And then I see you. The epitome of what had always thought was perfection. I was jealous, so I blurted all those words that I never meant. I really regretted it, and I was ashamed.” He paused. “I guess I just wanted to be like you, that I forgot that having someone like you was all that I had needed.”

There was a momentary silence, before the other replied, “Are you confessing to me?”

Sungyeol was taken aback, “What? No! I-I mean. I’m not. I just-”

Myungsoo smiled, “I was joking.” He said, “And I’m sorry as well. I guess I had a lot of emotions kept in too.”

“Forgive and forget?” Sungyeol smiled, holding out a hand.

Myungsoo took it happily, and nodded, “Forgive and forget.”

They grinned, before adverting the gaze to the black blankets. “Hey Sungyeol?” Myungsii asked quietly.

“Hm?”

“Can we get ice-cream?”

Sungyeol laughed. They were back.

~

“Are you kidding me, Myungsoo?” Sungyeol yelled in frustration.

“What? I’m serious!” He yelled back.

“You’re an absolute idiot! I can’t believe you’re my friend!” He screamed, as though almost close to tears.

Dongwoo and Hoya sat awkwardly in the living room, watching the friends argue over trivial matters. It had only been a week since they had made, and they were already screaming at each other’s faces.

“I’m not an idiot. It’s true! Ask Hoya!” He screamed.

“Please don’t include me.” Hoya strained.

“You’re obviously wrong.”

“I’m not. Oh my God Sungyeol. Will you please accept it?” He grunted in anger.

“Please. I am not going to accept anything that comes out of your mouth.”

“W-What are they arguing about?” Dongwoo whispered to his boyfriend, scared that the two might lash out on each other.

“Goddammit Sungyeol, I’m freaking telling you. Jellyfish don’t have brains!” He yelled.

“They do! Oh my gosh. My Calculua teacher told me.”

“Why the heck would your Calculus teacher know that? They specialize in maths not aquatic animals.”

“A teacher is a teacher!” He retorted.

“Guys, it’s just jellyfish.” Dongwoo tried. “It’s really okay.”

“But-”

“If you guys don’t shut up you guys would have to pay for your own dinner.” Hoya scolded, immediately quietening them.

“I don’t want to sit next to him in the car.” Sungyeol muttered stubbornly, running out the door to sit in the front passenger’s seat.

Myungsoo smirked, “Surprise, guess who’s driving.”

Sungyeol let out an ear piercing scream in frustration, trying to unbuckle his belt to move to the back. Myungsoo on the other hand, had no intention on letting that plan play out. As the belt became unbuckled and withdrew, he immediately reached for it, his face becoming rather close to Sungyeol’s. He froze. Staring into the other’s brown orbs.

Sungyeol didn’t know how to react. His mind became blank as he focused on the other’s eyes. Something strange was stirring up in his chest.

“You can even feel the tension between the two.” Hoya interrupted, earning a nudge from his boyfriend.

“You ruined the moment.” He whispered.

Myungsoo cleared his throat, still holding onto the belt. He pulled it down and buckled the other, laying back onto his seat awkwardly.

Sungyeol kept quiet. All the anger he had before dissipated and all that he could think of now was the proximity they had only a few minutes ago.

~

“Do you think he likes me?”

He sighed, “I don’t know, alright, Sungyeol?”

“Gosh, someone’s mad.” He muttered.

“Why don’t you, for once think about if you like him?”

Sungyeol stared at him, “What’s wrong with you?”

“Nothing.” He muttered.

“Bull.” He replied, “You’ve been like this since I told you about him.”

“Oh yeah? Well then maybe I’ve got a problem with him.” He retorted, taking the other off guard.

“What did he ever do to you?” He spat back.

Myungsoo chose to ignore him.

“You’re always like that! You hate everyone I’m interested. When people like you, I’m more than supportive.”

“That’s because I already told you that I like someone, and won’t date anyone until he realizes how stupid he is and how much I like him.” He argued, “You just go around and throw yourself at whoever even bats an eye at you. It looks desperate, if you ask me.”

“Well no one asked you!” Sungyeol yelled, losing his temper, “And, and maybe I am desperate! Maybe I want someone to look only at me, like how everyone only looks at you.” He concluded, standing up and furiously wiping his tears away. He stormed to the bathroom and slammed it shut. Myungsoo sighed. He had gone too far again.

Quickly flicking the pages of his magazine to the end, he closed it, and placed it to the side, standing up and knocking at the bathroom.

“Sungyeol.”

“Go away.” He sniffed.

“Look, I’m sorry okay? I was just worried. I don’t want you to get hurt again.”

“Well you hurt me.”

Ouch. Myungsoo winced slightly. “I’m sorry. I just wanted the best for you. I guess it’s my fault for being a bit ignorant.”

There was a short silence before the door opened revealing ahis friend’s red eyes.

“Are you okay?”

“Why do we always do this?” He asked, ignoring the question.

“Do what?”

“Argue. All we do now is argue.” He paused, “It never used to be like that.”

“I have no idea.” He muttered. But he did.

“I want it to be like it used to. Where we would just be silly together.”

“Sometimes things are meant to happen. These arguments… these heart breaks… unrequited love…” He listed, “maybe all these obstacles are what makes us stronger.”

Sungyeol nodded in agreement, “Maybe they’re happening because it’s pushing us towards something.”

“Pushing us towards the light at the end of the tunnel.” Myungsoo concluded.

“What do you think is there?”

He shrugged, “Peace? No arguments?”

Sungeyol smiled, “Happiness?”

“Maybe.”

~

“I think I might confess.”

Sungyeol turned to face his friend in confusion. “What? Confess what? Did you kill someone?”

“Are you stupid?”

He rolled his eyes, “Confess what?”

“Confess to the guy I like.”

“Oh.” He should have felt happiness, but he didn’t.

“Aren’t you happy?”

He looked up, “Uhm, of course I am.” He chuckled awkwardly. “W-When are you going to confess?” Why had it suddenly been so difficult to speak?

“I’m not sure. I kinda want it to be memorable, so if he rejects me, at least he’d know that I tried.”

“That’s cute.” Sungyeol whispered. “What do you have planned?”

“Uh…”

“Really?”

“Hey I’m thinking about it.”

“I actually thought you would have been boyfriend material, but I guess not.” He teased.

Myungsoo chuckled, “I was thinking if you could help me.”

“H-Help?”

“Yeah.”

“With what?”

“Just, how would like to be confessed? I want it to be special.”

“So you’re going to confess to the guy you like by using my interests?”

“W-Well, not like that.”

Sungyeol sighed, “Do you even know anything about him?”

“I do!”

“Whatever.” He muttered. He didn’t even know why the thought of the other confessing had got him so worked up, but it certainly wasn’t a pleasant feeling.

~

“What about this guy?”

“No.”

This one?”

“No.”

“What about this one?”

“No.”

Sungyeol let out a sigh of frustration, “Are you serious? How can you not like any of the guys? They’re the hottest guys in the world.”

“None appeal to me.”

“Except your mystery crush?” Sungyeol asked bitterly.

No reply.

“Thought so.”

“I’m going to sleep.” Myungsoo replied.

“Who is the guy?” Sungyeol asked suddenly, halting the other. “Who’s the guy you like?” He asked more slowly.

“Forget it. It’s never going to happen anyways.”

He clenched his fist, “Then what are you going to do? Just live your life suffering from unrequited love?”

“I only have eyes for him. I love him too much, so if I live my life suffering from unrequited love, then so be it.” He gritted, before leaving.

It pained him, to think that someone had his best friend so tightly wrapped around their finger. He thought it was jealousy that he felt. And it was. But it wasn’t the jealousy that he thought it was. It wasn’t the jealousy that he wanted someone to love him like that. It was the jealousy that he could never get his best friend’s attention.

Because at the end of the day, he couldn’t deny the fact that he had fallen in love with Kim Myungsoo.

~

“We need to talk.” He heard through the line.

“Are you breaking up with me?” He joked.

“Shut up, Sungyeol.”

He arrived outside the building of their apartment 10 minutes later seeing his friend waiting seemingly anxiously. “What’s up.”

“Hey.”

“Wanna go up?”

Myungsoo looked up, before nodded, “Alright.”

“So what is it you want to tell me?”

“I’m going to confess.”

His heart broke. He had almost forgotten, “Oh.”

“You’re not happy?”

“I’m ecstatic.” He replied stoically.

Myungsoo grinned, obviously not noticing the change of emotion, “I don’t think he’d like me, but I want to get this off my chest. I loved him for almost 5 years now.”

He was deaf to the words that were flowing out of his friend’s mouth. He didn’t know it hurt that much.

“Oh, that’s good.”

“Yeah. I really shouldn’t be this excited.” He said, “But I know that it will be a huge weight off my chest.”

Sungyeol sighed.

“Is there something wrong?”

“Nothing.” He shot back.

“Sungyeol.” The elevator arrived at their floor and they soon began their minute walk towards their apartment.

“Nothing’s wrong.”

“You aren’t happy for me, are you?”

“I am, Myungsoo.” He said. “I just don’t want you getting hurt.”

He shook his head, “I won’t. I know that there is a 80% chance he’d reject me, but after that I hope we can still be friends. You would understand if you were in love with someone.” He said.

Bad choice of words.

“If I was in love with someone?”

“Wait, that wasn’t what I meant.”

“Are you saying that I just date whoever looks at me?”

“No, wait, Sung-” They stood outside their apartment.

“I guess I really that desperate, that my best friend would even judge me for who I date, huh?”

“Sungyeol, I didn’t mean it like that.”

“You know, I bet it would be a complete shock to you that I haven’t dated anyone for over a year because I’ve been stupidly in love with someone who wouldn’t even blink an eye at me.” He gritted, tears threatening to spill out.

Myungsoo looked down.

“I bet I’ve been so stupid hating on some guy that I didn’t even know just because the person I fell in love is blindingly in love with him.”

“Can we please have this argument another time?” Myungsoo begged.

Sungyeol scoffed, “You’re ridiculous. Aren’t you confessing to him now? So he’s in our apartment right now? So you just decided to call me out 10 minutes before the confession to tell me that some stranger is in our apartment? Are you kidding me, Myungsoo? No worries, there’s no need to tell your friend. There’s no reason to tell the other guy that shares the same apartment. No, not at all, we’ll just let him be the last to know ten fricken minutes before the actual confession. No worries.” He ranted in anger. “Where is that guy you are so in love with? The guy that never seems to have a name no matter how much you fricken talk about? Is he even a real person?” He retorted.

He couldn’t stop the tears from spilling out as he reached for the handle and opened it. The curtains were closed and it was dark. He the lights and saw banners on the wall, along with a couple of close friends awkwardly standing by the kitchen.

“What?”

“You really did ruin everything.” Myungsoo muttered, walking passed him.

“What’s going on?”

Myungsoo crouched on the floor, burying his head lowly in frustration.

“I like you.” He muttered.

“What?”

“I…” He slowly repeated, “like you.”

“But…”

“I’ve liked you since 5 years ago, okay? You just seemed to be perfect in my eyes, and I knew that I liked you, and then you came up and asked me to be your friend. I saw how you found me perfect, when I was nowhere near that. I thought you liked me too, until you started dating everyone. I thought that maybe I would have a chance too. It seemed like you dated anyone. But then you broke up with them just as quickly, and I didn’t want that.”

Sungyeol kept quiet.

“I didn’t want to ruin our friendship, but at the same time, I was so jealous at all the people you gave attention to, but never me.”

“I-I’m sorry.”

“I just really like you.” He sighed. “I thought confessing to you might take the weight off my shoulders, but now it feels heavier.”

“What…” Myungsoo looked up, and Sungyeol noticed how everyone’s attention was on him now, silently waiting for his response, “What if I told you that I like you too?” He muttered, embarrassed.

~

“You’re seriously an .” He laughed, as he wiped the ice cream off his nose.

Myungsoo grinned, “But I’m adorable.” He retorted, “Come on, we have to go on the ferris wheel before we leave.” He said, holding out his hand.

Sungyeol smiled widely, accepting the hand instantly, intertwining their fingers together instantly. “Ferris wheel it is.” He laughed.

Myungsoo nodded, “You have to give me a kiss at the top of the wheel.”

“That’s gross.”

“Yah, that’s a rude thing to say to your boyfriend of almost a year and a half now.”

Sungyeol laughed, bumping his shoulder with the other’s. His head turned slightly, pausing as his eyes caught the eyes of a rather familiar male’s.

The male smiled at him, as his eyes trailed down to the intertwined fingers.

Sungyeol grinned, waving happily at the male who waved back.

He saw another man, around the same height, jumping happily and lovingly on him.

“Is that Woohyun?” Myungsoo asked.

Sungyeol chuckled, “Yeah.” He smiled widely, “Come on, let’s go.” He continued, “I still need to give you that kiss.” He teased, as he pulled the other to a carriage.

A small buzz could be felt in his pocket. He pulled out his phone. It was an unknown number, but he smiled, knowing who it was.

Are you happy now?

I am.

 

 


Thank you for reading this drabble! Hope you enjoyed ^-^ 

Till next time! Stay safe and well :)