The Art of Jealousy

The Art of Jealousy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You can be the moon and still be jealous of the stars.

-Gary Allan
 

 

Lee Donghae’s POV

 

For almost 2 years, Hyukjae and I have been together.

 

The first time I met him was during my 4th year in high school. He has been the popular kid in the block. Everybody likes him and adores him—why not? He's not just about the face he's also the dance club president and basketball captain.

 

It so happened that one day when I lost my contact lenses during soccer match. It’s only a practice game but due to some minor instances—one of my teammates accidentally pushed me hard and my contact lenses came off. I admit, I have a bad eye sight and if I don’t wear my eye glasses, then I need to wear my contacts.

 

I don’t know if I should call it a blessings in disguise because for the first time—one Lee Hyukjae noticed a nobody like me. I’m still kneeling on the ground while everyone is circling at me, “What’s happening Donghae?” I even heard Yunho Hyung our captain, he's asking me and I quickly reply though I cannot see him well, “My contacts drop Hyung.” I know it’s pointless to search now but I still move my hands on my grassy ground.

 

‘Why am I so careless?’

 

I feel someone grabs my arm, pulling me up from the ground, “Come on—I’ll send you home!” I didn’t recognize the voice. Everyone is quiet that time, “Are you sure Hyuk? Do you know where he lives?” and that’s Yunho Hyung. Hyuk? Who’s Hyuk? “I lived near his house.” A small reply and so I know it's Lee Hyukjae—the dreamy Lee Hyukjae.

 

And so after that incident Lee Hyukjae started to look at me. Whenever I have a soccer match he will come and see me play. Whenever I fall down—trip—or bump into someone he will come to rescue like he knows where I am. We walk home every day—I wait for him when he has dance practice and he will wait for me whenever I have a soccer match. It’s like a routine for us—until one day the unshaken Lee Hyukjae confessed what he feels for me. I don’t know how or when he started feeling that way towards me but I didn’t ask for the details. Having a Lee Hyukjae looking at me like I’m the most wonderful thing that happened in his life is enough for me. Without asking anything I accept him and this is how we started.

 

Up until now Hyukjae is still a mystery. He will ask me some questions regarding my day—what I did today and he showered me with love—but I don’t know him. I know where he lives, I know his parents, I know his sister, I know he loves dogs, I know what course he's taking up, I know he loves to dances…..but that’s not enough, I want to know him more, I want to know if he's the possessive type, I want to know his favorite movie, food, drinks, everything about him.

 

Anyway we both took up different courses. I took up multi media arts while Hyukjae took up mass communication. We still see each other often because we share the same building but the fan girls are still there. Whatever happens Lee Hyukjae’s charm would never fade. To be honest everyone knows about our relationship—Hyukjae is not the type of person who plays around, so the moment I accepted his confession—I know my life would change.

 

Right now, I finished my class and since Hyukjae told me this afternoon that he will send me home, I need to wait for him. I plan to wait in the school library. I can read books while waiting for him.

 

As I enter the school library, different set of eyes are on me. Why? Because the infamous Lee Donghae who ‘tamed’ the heart of Lee Hyukjae is alone in the school library—it’s weird for them. I didn’t mind the stares and just walk at the world history section. Not because I’m a Multi Media arts student, I don’t read this type of book. “History—history—history~” I keep on chanting while my index finger is gliding on the books, “Hist—” I stop when I suddenly touched someone’s hands. Though it’s just a mere touch I still flinch a bit, “Oops! I’m sorry!” I quickly look at the person…oh I know him, “Hyung?” in a high pitch note and without thinking I hug him, “Hahahaha Lee Donghae—did you miss me that much?” I know we are not supposed to make noises inside the library, but I don’t know if I can contain my feels. Before we make another noise, Hyung pulls me at the back part of the library where there are few students, “You never change Donghae,” he chuckles while saying those words to me. I shook my head and chuckle as well, “Of course Yunho Hyung—I’m still Lee Donghae~” and right—I’m with Yunho Hyung right now, our team captain.

 

‘I haven’t seen him for 2 years because he graduated a head of me and he's taking conservatory of music—different building from me.’

 

“Yeah yeah! I heard that you’re taking up Multi Media Arts.” He said and I only nod in responds, “Why? When we were still in the team you always tell me that you wanted to study world literature.” I sigh. I expect that question honestly and as much as I want to deny it—I was caught red handed when he sees me in the history section here in our school library, “Well—” I tried to laugh a little but I sound so tense, “Hyukjae is—” but I stop when I saw Hyung’s expression.

 

‘That’s right—Hyung probably didn’t know about Hyukjae and I. He was busy that time when Hyuk and I started dating—then he graduated afterwards.’

 

“Hyukjae? As in the Lee Hyukjae?” he asked me. Probably he knows that Hyukjae and I became friends during high school, “Yeah~ ahm Hyung you know that he's my neighbor right?” I tried to sound less awkward. Yunho Hyung is my closest friend from the team. Hyung nods his head, “Yeah! He always sends you home—but what’s with the deal of your course to Hyukjae?” I smile at him, guilty as charge, I should have told Hyung about Hyukjae and I way way back. I open my mouth ready to talk when suddenly I feel my phone vibrates from my pocket, I gesture to Hyung that I’ll just check it.

 

To: My Hae

From: My Hyukkie

Where are you Hae?

 

I smile, no one can make my heart beat so fast like what Hyukjae does to me—and it’s just a simple text message.

 

To: My Hyukkie

From: My Hae

I’m in the school library Hyukkie.

 

I send the message quickly. I know his class is over now. He always does this—send me message the moment he finished his class.

 

To: My Hae

From: My Hyukkie

Do you still need to read some books? I’ll wait for you.

 

Unconsciously I smile, for two years I learned something about Hyukjae, he will always be the kind of boyfriend who will do everything just to make me happy.

 

To: My Hyukkie

From: My Hae

No Hyukkie it’s ok. I’ll see you outside the library.

 

Then I put my phone on my pocket then faced Yunho Hyung, “Ahm—Hyung, I’m sorry I need to go.” I can’t look straight at him, “Already?” he's shocked. Yeah, we just met and then I need to go now, “Sorry Hyung, Hyukjae is waiting for me~” I see a sudden change of emotion from him. Before I run out from here and meet Hyukjae, I pull out my marker, “Give me your hand Hyung!” I told him. Even though he's confused he still give me his hand. I open my marker and starts to write on his palm, “We will see each other again Hyung. Call or text me anytime.” I write my number on his palm. He shook his head and smile at me, “Fine fine, but you owe me lots of explanations Donghae.” I smile back at him and run out of the library.

 

 

“While I was looking for some books, I met Yunho Hyung!” Hyukjae and I are walking right now, “Who?” he asked me. Did he forget about Yunho Hyung? “Yunho Hyung—my team captain in high school.” I explained a little. I see some changes in his expression, his jaw clench a little but I ignored it, “So yeah~ I was so shocked when I saw him that I can’t help but hug him.” I giggle when I remember what I did in school library today, “Good thing I didn’t shout or make some scene at school~” Hyukjae remains silent by my side.

 

‘He's always like this. I’m the talkative between the two of us. I keep on telling him about my day but he won’t tell me his.’

 

“But since you texted me I quickly say goodbye to him—” I saw him sigh a little, “But I gave him my number so we can meet him sometimes. He didn’t know about our relationship Hyukkie, I feel guilty since he was one of my closest friends during high school.” I pout when I remember what I feel when Yunho Hyung asked about my relationship with Hyukjae. I was still thinking when I suddenly feel Hyukjae’s hand on me, I can’t help but look at him, “Just protecting what’s mine~” he mumbled then flashes a heart dropping gummy smile.

 

‘The thing that makes me fall in love with Hyukjae, this guy knows how to say the right words at the right time.’

 

I can’t help but smile brightly at Hyukjae, “Cheesy!” I said then Hyukjae run while still holding my hand, I think I don’t have any choice but to run away with him. “Hahahahahahahaha Hyukkie where are we going?” I laugh loudly while we are still running.

 

 

A week after that, Hyukjae became busy. They need to conduct a lot of surveys and as much as I want to help him, I can’t because I need to review for the finals. My usual routine is library—room—library—home, and no one can blame me if I spend more time in library because I need to read some research papers for the upcoming finals.

 

I’m not really bored thought because Yunho Hyung always accompanies me in the library. I always ask him if its ok because I know that his finals is coming up soon but he always tell me, “Do you want me to go now Donghae?” and the guilty strikes in because I’m still not telling him about my relationship with Hyukjae. Hyuk and I talked about this and we promised each other that we will say this to Yunho Hyung together. Hyuk considered the fact that he was one of my closest friends during high school—and I always update Hyuk whenever Yunho Hyung would accompany me in the library.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter