One Last Song

One Last Song

For one last time
say my name
For one last moment
say that you're here with me

For one last second
steal me away with your voice
and that smile you once wore so well
For one last hour
take my hand in yours
and tell me it's all okay
For one last song
stay another night

 

Here at the end, where time has frozen still and hearts have stopped beating, the memories are locked away.  It was not the ending you had searched for so long to reach, was it?  Take these last few moments as the breath slowly leaves your lungs for the last time and find where exactly it was you went wrong.  Which path did you choose alone your journey that destroyed everything around you into small pieces of reflective pain and memories?  Search deep in these memories to figure out what you could've done better, so that you can struggle desperately against your fate in hope to reverse time and do them right for once.  Could you have failed that day when you said nothing?  How you acted that time?  Or when you were too late to save me?  How about that time when you did nothing to save me?  You and I both have questions, so very many questions.  But these puzzle pieces are scattered and you'll have to fit them together yourself.  For now, look back on the story I just told you — your story — and tell me again, who was it that ended it?  Because you continue to blame me, but is that the truth?  Don't worry, these questions have answers at long last!  You just still have yet to see the truth but when you do, you'll realise that all you thought to be real was nothing more than silly little fantasies you thought up as a defense.

Salty tears come to a sudden and peaceful stop as but a final one slips out, rolling down the cheek.  Teeth attached to the wrist, biting down and peeling the flesh right off with such force.  Cries gone forever silent with punctured lungs and twisted tongues.  Never to be heard.  Never to be saved.  The tightening of the throat and the slicing of the cold blade inside.  Lips once so pretty now stained in crimson blood.  The cracking of bones as they break under such force.  Screams forever trapped in the confinements of the bleeding throat.  Stretching of the arms as they push their own limits for comfort.  Fingers stained a beautiful deep red dance across the old wooden panels, reaching and reaching for another's to hold.

Breaths heavy and quick, unsteady and desperate break the deafening silence.  Limbs gone weak from exhaustion are stained an ugly red.  A single hammer at the elbow, held onto tightly for all life in that weak and sweaty grasp.  Eyes once peaceful burn with hatred.  Cold, slender fingers digging deep into the throat, ripping and tearing at everything inside.

The mixing of bloods, so sweet.  Drenching two in one and one in two.

A coin with two sides heads dancing in the blood and hitting the floor, piercing the silence.  Shattered glass on the floor left to collect dust and soak in the scarlet puddles that reflect what once was and what could've been.  A once peaceful room wrecked with thrown items and all within it frozen forever in their broken state on the floor with the dents in the walls and the tears in the cloths.

Look in every direction, for what you feel is nothing short of real.  You're going nowhere, except for everywhere.  The fear that devours you as the red blurs of your vision fade to black.  The screams that deliver you and the pain that sets you free.  See it now?   The ever-spinning cloud of confusion and the tangy sweetness of the metal placed so neatly on your tongue; they take you past the lies and show the truth you hid so well inside.  The lies that are coloured white in comparison and the truths an eternal and beautiful black.

No, no.  Don't cry.  Not yet, there is so much more to go.  Don't faint so early on.

The saliva that connects to the shiny blade, taking in and savouring the taste of the scarlet drops.  Pounding echoes in deaf ears and bouncing off the confining walls.  Screaming and screaming; will no one hear?  Fear is taking over, but has the pain done the same?  Can you feel how your arm snaps in two like a twig as the hammer is lowered at the elbow?  Take a look at how your legs are twisted in every direction and the blood is smeared beneath you.  Feel how your jaw nearly comes right off at the continuous impact after impact, or imagine how your skull will shatter.  Your blood is running thick and you want to look but what an awful idea that would be; to see how your insides are spilling out around you in a pool of blood.  What have you done?

You thought like most that when the clock stops and the blood runs dry you would see your life play out before you for the second and final time.  But yours did not, did it?  So what did you see?  It was his face, wasn't it?  His all too familiar face with his lips curved into that beautifully sweet and comforting smile you've longed to see again.  And for one last time you hear your name whispered in his voice again.  Hyungwon.  You hear it once, twice, and finally you know now what has been done and what has not; what was left unfinished and what was unnecessary.  And your tears start up again.

There was so much more you wanted but, oh how quickly the chances were taken from you.  And by what?  What stole everything you had and set it to fire before your very eyes?  Why is that you have to think of this now?  Don't think, don't remind yourself of everything that is left to do, don't bring yourself to regret; don't back out now.  Besides, it's far too late.

You're falling and the ceiling is spinning, somewhere between your screams are echoing but is it all only in your head?  Your bones are breaking beneath you and the blood is seeping out.  The black and white clothes you're wearing are forever stained red.  What have you done?  The wounds are fresh and deep, covering your entire body and mind.  There is no turning back now, you must finish quickly or the pain will be too unbearable for you.  Or would it be better that way?

Stand from your seat for you can see it too, can't you?  It's okay, do not fear and do not worry.  Just walk over to the desk and get your revenge for all that he did to you.  Are your tears falling already?  It's still early into the night you can't back out now.  End him and all that he's done to you.  You even get to decide how: The small hammer or the single razor.  I wonder, which will you choose?

A coin was flipped so which did you call?  Heads or tails?  It's such a shame you'll never know who won but don't worry for the truth is still staring right back at you.  Can't you see it?  But why you flip the coin in such a desperate search of the truth, but you blinded by your own lies and only see heads on both sides?

At last that night of horror is over, the pain is gone and the tears have dried.  However, the damage and wounds will never quite heal...

What did he do to you?  Was it because he didn't wake up when you called for him?  You cried then as well, didn't you?  It's okay, no lies have been told yet but the truth is yet to come.  The blood has yet to spill, you know this, so why are you sitting here crying again?  Nothing has been done yet so do not worry so soon.  Instead you should look forward to his smile vanishing before your eyes, just picture it!  His twisted limps snapping in two and dragging across the wooden floors stained with his own blood.  What a sight it will be, don't you agree?

You two were so alike before, but now those limits have been pushed — now you two are both sides of the same coin.  And it's his fault that you're the way you are now.

Red contrasting against black and white, staining them in eternal agony.  Who was it that invaded your light and let the darkness slip in unnoticed?  It was him, wasn't it?  What did he do to you?  At your side for your whole life and he's been staining you all this time and twisting you every direction.  Why not give him something precious in return for his deeds?  Let the most beautiful shade of black be all that he ever sees after he witnesses just how well the white can contrast against it if it tries.

He left so suddenly, how did it feel?  I know it must've killed you to see that, to come home hoping to see his smile just like any other day.  But why was it that that day had to be so different?  What made that day be the last?  You loved him didn't you, Hyungwon?  He did nothing but good for you and showed you only kindness all your life.  It was then, during that time when he left you for the first and final time that broke you however, right?  It was so unexpected and you blamed yourself, or do you still blame yourself for that awful and disgustingly lonely night?

That night you found him there, your sweet little friend Hoseok all broken and twisted in the bathtub with the water running a deep red.  His eyes were closed and his face was content for once, but when you opened his eyes and cried for him to wake up you saw only fear and regret.  And how about when you pulled his body out of the bathtub to try and save him?  Doing all that you could and wrapping bandages around every wound and scar he had.  Why did you cry?  For him?  For you?  You're alone and he isn't coming back, did that only occur to you now?

The beginning is here, don't worry.  Your story, Hyungwon, has yet to be told.  A cruel and beautiful story that will forever have its pages stained red and its ink run dry.  You and Hoseok...  You and I will write it together and it all starts here, so why not take a moment to look back and think to yourself: How did it really end?