Prologue

saltkin
0. IN WHICH A DEMON SCREWS UP
 
In her defense, boredom is a real thing, and it's more dangerous than you think.
 
(Granted, boredom doesn't mean sneak into the boss' throneroom and erupt chaos on the mortal world by fooling around with the boss' weird, mystic crystal ball thing — but her point still stands.)
 
"What did you do?" The HBIC (Head In Charge, as Sooyoung likes to call it) and resident demon leader Bae Joohyun asks her, eyes ablaze with fire — which doesn't scare Sooyoung at all, mostly because both of them live in the pits of hell and they're used to seeing fire everyday, so. "Sooyoung."
 
"I'm sorry, boss lady." Sooyoung's tone doesn't sound sorry at all, and she bites on her cheek to contain a smirk. She's been through too many punishments to get bored at the mention of her head being spiked (she'll still live afterwards, plus, been there done that), and Joohyun knows that as well. "It won't happen again."
 
"Knowing you, of course it will," Joohyun grumbles, and Sooyoung tries not to shrug, because really, where's the lie?
 
The throne room is quiet, chandeliers above the both of them swinging quietly, the lights focusing on Sooyoung's face. If it were any other situation, she'd make a pun about being in the spotlight, alas, Joohyun's face shows she's majorly pissed, and so, Sooyoung lets go the opportunity of a pun.
 
(Most demons don't make puns. Sooyoung finds she's an exception, mostly because 90% of demons are uptight pricks with a forte for cruelty.)
 
"I've got a punishment for you." Joohyun finally speaks up after a whole minute of thinking, and Sooyoung's head snaps up curiously, prying eyes masked with a look of boredom. "You're not getting demoted, but —  your next mission will be to collect a human's soul in the human world."
 
"Doesn't sound very different from what I usually do."
 
"Of course, you'll only be allowed to collect their soul by being summoned by them, and binding their soul to yours. Stay in the realm until the human dies too." Joohyun has a devilish smirk on her lips (pun intended), and Sooyoung gapes, her eyes resembling saucers. Words of protest bubble in and die on her tongue, and her face speaks of her disagreement to the idea.
 
"You can't be serious. That's a job for the newbies!" Maybe whining isn't the most mature thing to do in the situation, but think — you're a high-ranked demon and after messing up, like, once after fifty years, this is your punishment? Sooyoung finds it all too unfair, though maybe it has something to do with Joohyun catching her flirting with Kang Seulgi, the apple of Joohyun's eyes, like, uh, ten years ago. Or something.
 
"I don't want to hear it. You're to return after your contract ends and the human's soul is yours." Joohyun pauses, before continuing her sentence, eyes gleaming in the darkness of her room. "Run along now."
 
 
author's note
so that was the prologue!! it's a little short but bear with me :^) i hope you all enjoyed it! please comment/subscribe/upvote/yeah anything tbh!!! don't be a silent reader :")