Komorebi

Komorebi

“Don’t go too far Mark!” The lanky boys waves his hand as he marches straight into the forest. His white T-shirt reflecting the soft warm rays of the sun. The green translucent leaves of the branches emit the soft komorebi that Mark loved.

 

How he had remembered wandering around in the forest alone. His grandfather had let him roam further and further each time, curiosity filling him. And there was always a hope that had filled Mark. That one fateful day, when the sun was at it’s peak.

 


Mark wanders through the trees, this was the furthest he had ever come. The sound of the birds chirping, the cracking of the twigs snapping beneath him. This was what brought him to the forest every day. A sense of life.

 

Mark’s ears drawn elsewhere. Not the birds, not the twigs. A voice. Mark walks to his right, his body struck with disbelief as the trees in his path move to the side. Their leaves dancing in the wind as the light hits their frail bodies.

 

A song. The trees dance to the voice and the fallen leaves spin around in the wind. Mark finally reaches a clearing. A boy stands there. The singular boy stares up into the blue sky as his mouth echoes the beautiful notes. The trees envelop him, their branches reach out to him.

 

Mark is dazed. What was this feeling? As though Mark was a tree, his whole being enchanted by this boy’s voice. The boy notices his presence. His brown eyes open widely in interest, the sun hits them perfectly and Mark is blinded. Mark’s whole world reflecting in the boy’s eyes, turning him upside down.

 

“How did you find me?” The boy speaks as his bare feet walk closer to Mark. Cool gusts of wind blow against the boy’s back, guiding him.

 

Within seconds, Mark is just inches from his face. “Mark.”

 

“What?” The boy looks at Mark.

 

“My name’s Mark.” The boy smiles slightly. The corners of his lip turned upwards, his eyes crinkling at the edges.

 

“My name’s-”

 

The wind blows furiously and the boy’s voice is blocked out. “What?”

 

The boy looks apologetically at Mark. “I have to go.” He turns his back to Mark and quickly walks back where he came from.

 

“Wait.” Mark grabs onto his arm. “Will I see you again?” Mark’s eyes are wet as the boy turns to meet him.

 

“I don’t know.” Mark let’s go of his hand and the trees move back. The whole area turning cold as the wind strengthens. He wasn’t welcome here.

 

The boy disappears behind the trees and the leaves blocking Mark’s view.


Mark had ran home as fast as he could that day, for the first time, he was terrified of the forest.

 

This day was different. Mark walks through the forest again, after ten years. After his grandfather died, he was moved abroad. He left behind the forest, he left behind the boy.

 

Mark walks through the forest. The sun sending rays right down through the leaves. Like that time. Mark turns around, something was different. Something was so similar.

 

A voice. That voice. Mark turns to his right, the trees move apart. His heart races as his feet pick up. He runs through the trees, the wind blowing onto his back, pushing him on.

 

“Mark.” Mark’s feet stop just short of the clearing. Deja vu shocking his mind. The same boy, stands in the middle of the clearing. Something was different. He was taller, thinner, his hair longer than before. How much time had passed?

 

“Hey Ma-”

 

“My name’s Mark.” Mark walks closer this time. He walks until he’s just short of the boy’s face. The two stand in the center of the clearing. The wind sends leaves flying in circles around them.

 

“My name’s Jinyoung.” Jinyoung’s eyes crinkle again as his hand reaches up to Mark’s face. That smile.

 

“Jinyoung.” Mark smiles, his hand reaches to his face, their fingers touch for the first time. They hold each other’s hands. The feeling that was long overdue.

 

Jinyoung…


I love you.