The Park

Find Me From the Well

Halley Park was about a fifteen-minute walk, so Joy rode her bike. Inside the bike’s basket was her purse, where the planner laid snugly.

 

When Joy had arrived to the entrance of the park, it was 1:50 a.m. Even though she had initially thought it was a good idea, the darkness made her regret coming immediately. The lamp-post lights were still on, though the areas that were complete black gave an ominous feeling. It was as if a creature with no face and a black cloak--perhaps the Grim Reaper--would appear out of nowhere. Now that she had thought about it, who would go to a park at two in the morning? Who would this person be trying to meet? It was very strange, and thinking about it made her shudder.

The trees rustled softly, giving Joy comfort. She was not completely friends with silence; if anything, it was one of the things that brought chills down her spine, especially when she is alone in the dark. For a while, she sat on her bike, frozen in front of the creaky gate. With one leg, she pushed herself closer to look at its doors. It was dark green and vines were growing over the bars. On top of that, it seems to be rusting as well. It gave the feeling of the doors to a cemetery. Even though Joy had never gone into Halley Park before, she remembered that the gates were clean and always looked like it has been carefully looked after whenever she passed by. Finally gathering her courage, she got off the bike and slowly walked in.

Although she was scared, she kept pushing her bike slowly down the path. She looked around cautiously. The road was gravelly and made a crunching sound every step Joy took. She was afraid to look back.

In a short distance, she could see a small box sitting on one of the wooden benches next to a lamp post. It was a glossy black and looked like it was made out of paper. Which did not really make sense in Joy’s opinion, but then again someone had sent her a planner inside of a cardboard box. She leaned her bike against the side of the bench at sat down next to the box. Carefully, she picked it up and shook it gently.. It felt unusually light, almost like she wasn’t even holding anything. Suddenly, she heard a crunching noise in front of her and immediately looked up. Standing in front of her was a young man eating a chocolate bar.

“Hey.” he smiled. Joy was in shock. She had not think about anyone else being in the park other than herself, since it was, well two in the morning. Before she replied, she whipped out her phone and checked the time. It was exactly 2:00 a.m. Is this the person that was supposed to meet up with whoever the owner of this planner was?

“Hi, why are you here?” she said flatly. Wait, that came out a lot meaner than I thought. Should I say it again? Maybe I should, I don’t want to come off as rud---

“I don’t know. I just came because--” he held up a planner that looked exactly the same as Joy has. She went through her purse and took out hers as well.

“Same here!” she said excitedly. “Was that planner mailed to you as well?”

“Yep! For some reason, I decided to come. I guess I don’t regret coming after all. My name’s Sungjae.” he was grinning from ear to ear.

“I’m Joy, nice to meet you!” she smiled. “I found a box here,” she held it up. “I was wondering if it had anything to do with the planner.”

“Maybe it did. Since no one really comes to the park at this time, no one would steal it before we could get it.”

“That’s a pretty good point. Honestly speaking, I don’t want to be here any longer. It just creeps me out.”

“Are you afraid of the dark?” Sungjae’s face suddenly looked mischievous. Joy was quiet for a while.

“What makes you say that?” she asked.

“Let’s go somewhere else then.”

“I would rather open this at my hous--” Joy was cut off before she could finish by her sentence as Sungjae took her hand with the sweetest smile she had ever seen.


“Lead the way.”