One

King

            The young king was enjoying his bath time. Served by the finest ladies in his land, he enjoyed their treatment. Hands massaging every inch of his body, cleaning it thoroughly. As he laid his head back, he closes his eyes. Wondering where his lover went.

            Usually, the king’s night would be filled with lust and love, his lover came in the middle of the night and ‘accompany’ him till dawn. But no, last night was a bit different. His lover, Ravi, came and spend the night with him as usual. Making love, cuddling and of course, sleep with him. Usually, he would still be there until morning and after the king bid him goodbye. But this time, he is already gone when he wakes up and when he search for him at the stable, he found nothing except for his horses. It’s a bit odd and disappointing since today was Ravi’s birthday and he was planning to give him some ‘extra’ in the morning. But Ravi has left and there’s nothing else he can do about it.

            After some times, the king felt enough of his heavenly treatment and decided that it was time for work. He told the ladies to stop and all of them sigh in disappointment. The king smiled and kissed each and every one of them as they walk through out the door to leave the king with his royal advisor.

            As all of them disappear, he let out a big sigh. He glances to his advisor and smiled, “It’s an odd morning, isn’t it?”

            The advisor, who is his own brother replies, “Yes. You seemed a bit off today. What’s wrong?”

            His brother was the only person who knew about his little relationship with Ravi. Being his secret keeper, the king told him about his plan last night and how it didn’t come off as it is as Ravi suddenly disappear in the morning. 

            “Well, I hope your future ‘activities’ with him wouldn’t disturb your future wife’s slumber” he said.

            The king’s smile turn into a frown as his advisor reminded him of his engagement. Who is she after all? Just a daughter of the king who rules his land’s enemy. Nothing more. If the lands are destined to war then it is. It’s a bit suspicious that his brother agreed to the engagement that was destined upon him right after the war between the two land ends. It’s too odd that the one who proposed for the engagement was his enemy and not him. As well as he knows, the one that had more victim from the war was his enemy and not him. It’s too odd yet he can’t do anything about it nor speak for it, although it was his marriage and he is the king.

            “You know how I feel for him, Leo. I love him and that’s all I know” the king said in sorrow.  “Yes, but your responsibility is for your people, Ken!,” Leo raised his voice, “I have had enough of this little game between you and him. It has to end soon or our land would be destroyed and hundreds of people would suffer.”

            Ken smiled at Leo’s words. As usual, his brother would often preach him about his responsibility as a king. Ruling, protecting, and enriching his land was his duties. It was fascinating and all as being a king was everybody’s dream.

            When his father died everybody was expecting Leo to take the throne. But his father suddenly deny at the idea and gave the throne to Ken. The young lad was surprised and was worried about his father’s decision and how his brother would react.  But his father’s decision was final and his brother has accepted it. Feeling a sense of pity for his brother, he decided to assign him as his royal advisor. 

             Being a king is great, but somehow Ken is unhappy. He had his own dreams of living in peace and living without any responsibility. Not that he hated his land, but some people weren’t destined to live inside the high walls of his palace and to drown with the luxurious things that are inside it. He just wanted to be free.

              “Ken, are you listening to me?” His brother’s voice called him out of his thought. As a matter of fact, his brother has been blabbering for about ten minutes and Ken doesn’t hear any of it at all. Probably it was the same preach he has been telling him since two years ago with the exact same sentence. God, how his brother needed a hobby.

               His brother took his silence as a no and walk to face him. “Break any of your relationship with that peasant and get yourself ready for your marriage” his brother said before he storms out of the bath. His robe dancing as his pace fasten and disappear from sight. The king smiled at his words as he slowly put his clothes on and leave the bath as well.