Flashback, Pt 2

Winged Watchers

 

*flashback 2*

 

    A red-headed child with snow-white wings followed the pair of butterfly mages home, staying close but not too close. He hid in bushes and behind rocks, praying silently that they wouldn’t notice him. He would have flown after them, or at least hidden in the trees, like the rest of his species did, but he had never learned to fly. Those were the skills one learned from their mother. All he wanted was attention and food to fill his oft-empty belly. And maybe a hug, as well.

 

    The poor child was only seven years old, and had been alone for four of those years. The trauma and pain of that specific night had turned his formerly cherry-red feathers pure white. The boy had raised himself, like any child should not have to. Shunned by good citizens for the marks he bore, he had nowhere to go and no one to go to. 

 

    One of the mages, a tall young man with magnificent orange-and-brown wings, tipped his head slightly as the boy stepped on a stick. He turned fast, an orb of fire already conjured between his palms. Although his companion grabbed for him, it was too late. The orb flew towards the boy and it was all he could do to not be incinerated instantly. Fortunately, he had great reflexes, and dodged the orb. It exploded behind him, shattering a boulder and sending shards flying everywhere.

 

    The child stumbled away from the destruction and tripped. He curled himself into a ball and began to cry from fear. His wings were studded with debris, some of it puncturing his skin. The first mage rushed to his side and dropped to his knees. He flailed his arms senselessly, having no idea what to do for the child. “Wonho, Wonho! What do I do?? He’s hurt and - and - and crying!”

 

    His companion, Wonho, knelt beside him and gently rolled the child over. He stared up at them, his big, wet brown eyes wide. “It’s alright, little one. We won’t hurt you. At least, I won’t.” He smiled at the boy and brushed his tears away. “How about we introduce ourselves? I’m Wonho, and this is my mate, Hyungwon. He normally isn’t violent, but, life’s been a bit… edgy recently. May I heal you?”

 

    The boy nodded and allowed Wonho to pull out the shards and heal each cut. The whole time, he stared at Hyungwon’s face, taking in his features. He never let a single sound slip past his lips.

 

    In the end, the pair took him home and fed him, offering him a home and a family he had never known. Hyungwon was actually really nice, if a bit sarcastic, and the child lost his fear of them. That night, as he prepared for bed in the room they had set up for him, Wonho knelt in front of him. “Hey, kiddo. What did you say your name was?”

 

    The boy blinked at him and thought for a minute. It had been so long since someone had said his name, he had almost forgotten what it was. He spoke finally:

 

    “Kihyun.”