Final

Realization

"Luhan..I uh..." The said boy turned over to look at his suddenly fidgety and stuttering best friend. Having known Sehun for so long Luhan knew that these signs meant he was nervous about something.

Luhan placed his hand on Sehun's shoulder in an attempt to steady him. "What's wrong Sehun? You know you can tell me anything." He gave Sehun's shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

Sehun gulped still avoiding Luhan's concerning gaze. There was a moment of silence before he finally decided to speak up. "B-but what if...what I'm about to tell you. What if it jeopardizes our friendship?"

"Well unless you're about to tell me you've murdered someone, I don't think you have anything to be worried about." Luhan chuckled aloud trying to loosen the tension in the atmosphere. However, once he noticed that Sehun wasn't laughing along with him, he suddenly became serious again.

Sehun sighed. "I was being serious Luhan."

"I was too Sehun. We've been best friends for years, the bond we share between us grows stronger with each passing day. I don't know what's been bothering you, but we've been through thick and thin together, this time isn't going to be any different."

Sehun nodded. "I-I'll tell you. But can you promise me that no matter what happens, nothing's going to change between us?" He finally had the courage to look Luhan right in the eye.

Luhan gave Sehun a genuine smile. "Of course."

There was another moment of silence before Sehun decided to inhale deeply. "Luhan, I like you more than a friend. I think I'm in love with you." Sehun spluttered in one breath before exhaling slowly. His eyes never left Luhan's.

Upon registering what he had just said, Luhan's eyes widened to the size of saucers. "Haha, good one Sehun. Come on, I thought we were being serious now." He tried to laugh off the awkwardness that was now accumulating around them.

"Y-you thought I was j-joking?" Luhan could already imagine the hurt expression that was plastered on the other boy's face as he listened to how strangled and broken Sehun sounded. Still avoiding eye contact, he nibbled nervously at his bottom lip. He knew for a fact that Sehun's unexpected confession was not meant to be a joke, however, Luhan just didn't know how else to respond.

"Sehun look I'm sorry, I got to go." Without another glance in Sehun's direction, Luhan ran off.

"Ugh, I'm not gay!" Luhan practically yelled at his reflection in the mirror after he had repeatedly splashed handfuls of cold water at his face.

This incident happened about a week ago and yet it kept continuously replaying in his head. No matter what he did, his mind would almost always drift off to thoughts of Sehun and how hurt he must've been. He hadn't meant to react the way he did, his mind suddenly short circuited, the only thing he was certain of was the fact that he was not gay. There's just no way, thus his initial reaction was to run away. He couldn't be gay, what would society think of them? People are naturally judgemental regardless of how much they hate to admit it. And what about his parents? He dared not think about how his parents would react to their only son being gay. Surely they would be disappointed in him, maybe even too embarrassed to admit he is their son. What if they decided to disown him? Luhan quickly shook those thoughts away.

"I'm not gay." He repeated again, it was almost as if he were trying to hypnotize himself into believing this to be the truth.

But then he thought about Sehun again. It's been an entire week since they've last seen each other. Truthfully, there has not been a time that he can remember that they have been apart for this long. To Luhan, the two were more than best friends, they were like inseparable twins, they did everything together. Now that Sehun was suddenly not by his side, he felt empty, like a part of him was missing. He felt incomplete, much like a jigsaw puzzle with one of the pieces missing. But that didn't mean he loved Sehun more than a close brother, did it?

"Ugh, I don't know anymore!" Luhan ruffled at his dripping wet hair out of frustration. He was more than done with this internal battle. He felt as if he were stuck between the angel and the devil, he needed to clear his mind. Without another thought, he ran out the bathroom and through the doors of his house which held the infinite amount of memories he and Sehun created.

--------

"Cuz the possibility that you would ever feel the same way about me it's just too much, just too much."

Luhan didn't know where he was headed, there was no destination in mind. After walking for about 10 minutes, he stopped near the park when he heard the strumming of an acoustic guitar and a bass vocal around the area.

His eyes roamed around the park and to his left he noticed a crowd of people gathered around. Curious as to what the big commotion was about, he decided to squeeze himself into the crowd, and since he was fairly thin and small it was not a difficult task.

"Why do I keep running from the truth? All I ever think about is you. You got me hypnotized, so mesmerized. And I've just got to know." The singing male had a stature of over 180 cm, he stood about a foot from the bench.

Situated on the bench was another male of smaller height, who was clearly confused but blushed at the sudden attention he was getting. "C-Chanyeol stop...you've attracted a lot of attention."

However, the taller male just continued singing, smiling at how flustered the other boy looked. "Do you ever think, when you're all alone, all that we could be? Where this thing could go? Am I crazy or falling in love? Is it real or just another crush? Do you catch a breath when I look at you? Are you holding back like the way I do? Cuz I'm trying, trying to walk away, but I know this crush ain't going away." Once Chanyeol was finished performing, he placed his guitar down beside the smaller boy before reaching out to stand him up.

"That song. Chanyeol, what are you trying to say?" The shorter male looked up at Chanyeol, his voice barely audible.

"Baekhyun." Chanyeol took Baekhyun's hands and held them in his own. "We've only recently become friends, and please trust me when I say this, I would never do anything to jeopardize our friendship. I know this may sound crazy, but please hear me out." He desperately searched Baekhyun's eyes for consent to continue, when he saw no signs of refusal he resumed. "I've been lying to you as I have been lying to myself this entire time. Ever since I've met you I've been having these strange feelings toward you. At first I was confused, I can't seem to control these feelings I have for you. As much as I don't want to  admit this, I think I really like you, more than a friend. I'm not saying you have to accept me as being more than your friend, I just wanted to be truthful to you as well as myself." There was a moment of silence before Chanyeol decided to continue. "I know with this sudden confession things are bound to become awkward between us, but I hope we can still be friends." He looked down nervously at Baekhyun waiting for a response, instead all he received was a hug.

"I didn't know all this time you felt exactly the same way as I did." Chanyeol was shocked to the point where he could not utter a single word. "I'm so sorry Chanyeol, I wanted to bury these feelings I had for you. I couldn't imagine what you, my parents or society would think of me if I were to reveal the truth. But after your confessions I've decided I don't want to continuously lie to either of us anymore."

After what seemed like an eternity, Chanyeol was able to once again find his voice. "S-So does that mean...?"

Baekhyun nodded shyly. "I want to go out with you."

"Awwe!" The crowd around them cooed as they witnessed Chanyeol planting a quick kiss on Baekhyun's forehead before enveloping him into a hug.

"Aren't those two just adorable?" Luhan heard an elderly woman saying to no one in particular.

"It's great that they decided to fight for their happiness." One man said to his friend, in which his friend nodded back in agreement.

Suddenly, Luhan felt something dampen his cheeks. He lifted a hand to his face only to find that he had been crying this entire time. Truthfully he had been more than surprised to hear such positive comments around him regarding the confession that had just taken place. At that moment all his previous fears and contradicting thoughts didn't seem like anything at all. Maybe he had been perceiving his situation to be more complicated than it really was. He had let his fears get the better of him which resulted in hurting someone he would never want to see in pain. With only the thought of Sehun in his mind, Luhan pushed himself out of the crowd and bolted in the direction of Sehun's house.

-------

As soon as Luhan had arrived in front of Sehun's house, he used the rest of his energy to push the doorbell multiple times before he bent over in exhaustion. He panted heavily as he tried to catch his breath. He heard footsteps walking from inside the house, after a moment the door opened to reveal a surprised looking Sehun. He looked equally as unkempt as Luhan did, with his hair sticking out in every direction possible and clothes that looked twice his size. Luhan's heart clenched at the sight of this. Guilt was slowly beginning to make its way through his body, he just hoped he would be able to amend their relationship.

"Sehun, can we talk?" Luhan initiated the conversation. Noticing that Sehun was probably still too stunned to comprehend what was going on at the moment, Luhan invited himself inside. After closing the door behind him, he led Sehun over to the couch. "Sehun, I know you must be extremely upset with me right now, maybe even infuriated with how things ended up. I don't blame you at all for giving me the silent treatment." As expected there was no response from the other boy, but Luhan continued nonetheless. "I'm really sorry, for promising you nothing would change between us and then running away. The moment you confessed to me I just completely blanked out, I wasn't sure how to react to the situation. Before your confession I was so sure of my ual orientation. But this entire week I've been away from you I felt confused and scared. On one hand it was as if I lost my sense of identity, I wasn't quite sure who I was anymore. But I also couldn't stop thinking about you. Not only did I feel bad about unintentionally hurting you, I also realized how important and irreplaceable you are in my life."

Upon hearing these words Sehun looked over in Luhan's direction. "What?" He asked in disbelief.

"The truth is I've been in denial this entire time. I let my fears of what others might think about me and possibly becoming an outcast get the better of me. I've tried denying these extra thoughts and feelings I had for you even though they clearly exist. I've only just recently come to terms with this new acceptance of who I really am. Regardless of how other people view me, I realized that I cannot be truly happy without you in my life." At this point tears were formed at the brim of Luhan's eyes as he tried his best not to let them fall. "I guess things really won't be the same between us, because Oh Sehun, I think I'm in love with you too." The tears Luhan had fought so hard to hold in finally cascaded down his cheeks.

"L-Luhan..." Sehun was at a loss for words. He could not believe what he was hearing. All he could manage at the moment was to pull the crying boy into his embrace. Sehun continued holding Luhan in his arms even after calming him down. "Thank you for being true to yourself and most importantly, thank you for loving me." He dipped his head downward and his lips instantly locked with Luhan's in a quick kiss.

--------

After taking the time contemplating and discussing whether or not Luhan should inform his parents of his newfound identity, they both decided it was best to talk to them now seeing as they both had the courage to do so. It was close to dinner time, both his parents would surely be at home. They both stood outside the house. Luhan inhaled and exhaled slowly to try and calm down his nerves. Sehun intertwined their hands together giving Luhan's a reassuring squeeze. Luhan inserted the key into the lock and opened the door of his house.

"Mom, dad, I'm home." Luhan announced as he walked into the dining room still holding onto Sehun's hand.

Mrs. Lu walked out from the kitchen and her lips curved upward upon seeing them. "Sehun, I haven't seen you in a while. It's nice to see you visiting again."

"It's nice to see you again too Mr. and Mrs. Lu." Sehun greeted back with a mirroring expression.

"Since you're here, why don't you stay for dinner. It should be done soon." Mr. Lu offered.

"That would be great, thank you."

Luhan felt his chest rise significantly as he took in another deep breath. It was now or never. "Mom, dad. Can we talk to you for a moment?"

Mrs. Lu seemed to have picked up on the tension that was slowly building in the room. She also took notice of the serious expressions etched on their faces. She gestured for the boys to take a seat around the dining the table. Luhan and Sehun sat on one side of the table and they were face to face with his parents who sat directly across from them. "What's the matter honey?"

His parents were waiting upon him to speak what was on his mind. Though he was hesitant he wasn't about to back down now. Besides, there was no way of escaping this, they would find out eventually. "There's no easy way for me to tell you this. I can't control how you think or how you're going to react when I tell you, but please, just hear me out." Once he received nods from both his parents he continued speaking. "Just recently I've come to the realization that I haven't been myself, I've been denying my true identity this entire time. A lot of things have happened that have caused me to become both physically and mentally drained. And because of this I have decided to stop lying to myself." He lifted his head to sneak a glance at both his parents, confusion was written all over their faces. "Mom, dad, I'm in love with Sehun, and he feels the same way about me." His mother gasped and his father's expression was unreadable. Luhan gulped at their reactions, his heart was practically pounding against his ribcage. He immediately turned to Sehun for help.

Sehun's complexion immediately paled. But nonetheless, he spoke up in an attempt to help out the situation. "Mr. and Mrs. Lu, I know this is sudden and unexpected, but we can't control the way we feel. Although we would like your acceptance and approval we do understand that it can be difficult. At the very least we are just hoping for your respect."

Silence filled the air once again, after what seemed like an eternity, Mr. Lu spoke up. "First of all, I'm glad you two had the courage to tell us the truth. We really do appreciate the honesty. And although I am quite shocked, I'm not against this relationship."

Sehun and Luhan immediately stared back with wide eyes. "W-what?" They found it hard to believe what they were hearing. How was this even possible?

"I think what your father is trying to say is that as long as you're happy that's ultimately all that matters. Life's too short to be lived with regret Luhan. As your parents we just want to see you enjoying yourself, to be healthy and to live your life happily. And clearly Sehun seems to be an important factor to your happiness. I'm not going lie, it will take some time for us to adjust to this new relationship of yours, but we will try to keep an open mind."

 The worried expression disappeared from Luhan's face and was now replaced with one of bliss and relief. In all honesty he wasn't anticipating that this would end up as well as it did. At first he was uncertain of how he really felt for Sehun, but after witnessing the confession at the park he realized he would never be truly happy if he wasn't completely honest with himself. His previous fears of being an outcast faded almost instantly, since he cannot control how others think or what they may say then what was the point of even caring? By being true to himself he and Sehun had become even more inseparable. He also received approval from his parents, he felt blessed and couldn't be any happier. "Thank you for accepting and loving me the way I am." Luhan once again laced his and Sehun's hands together as he smiled gratefully toward his parents.