Chapter 1

Chained to a Poltergeist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kris took a deep breath as he stepped out of the taxi, moderately prepared for the impending screams of fangirls and camera flashes of paparazzis. The thirty meter walk from the car to the building of Wu Publications had always been the most difficult task for Kris in the morning, but with fashion week just around the corner the distance could be described as nothing short of fatal.

 

Despite nearly being trampled to death on a daily basis, Kris was proud of his rising popularity. A year ago, headlines and articles had always started with ”Kris Wu, 24, notorious manwhore…” but ever since his father, Kenneth Wu, had decided Kris and his impish behaviour were ruining the company’s image, they now started with ”Kris Wu, 25, editor-in-chief of Wuogue magazine…” Kris quickly realized that growing up, taking responsibility and letting go of everything fun was worth it with the way his father now would now brag of him to everyone and look at his son with elation in his eyes.

 

Not saying it had always been easy. Most of the time, Kris would forget things and just barely hang on to what was going on at Wuogue. Thankfully, his assistant Do Kyungsoo made sure Kris rarely missed anything.

 

With the help of a bodyguard, Kris made it safely into the building. The marble floor click-clacked with every step of his designer blüchers, the sound just barely audible over the hundred other employees swarming around in the great lobby. Kris took an elevator with three other employees from different magazines, pushed the button to the 12th floor and routinely checked himself out in the mirror. His hair was only slightly messier than before he had stepped out of the taxi and therefore looked moderately okay, so he decided to leave it be.

 

”The dark lord has arrived,” Luhan called out over his shoulder from the receptionist’s desk as Kris stepped out of the elevator.

 

”Well good morning to you too Luhan,” Kris deadpanned, accepting the bunch of papers Luhan was handing him. ”Anything I’ve missed?”

 

”Jessica Jung called and accepted our offer of advertising the BLANC & ECLARE sunglasses in the March issue. She also asked if we’d be needing her for fashion week and I told her I’d get back to her on that one-”

 

”Good. I’ll have to ask what Sehun thinks, I have a feeling he likes working alone and Jessica can usually get quite chatty.”

 

”I can ask him!” Luhan offered with a cheshire grin. ”I was about to go to the closet anyway.”

 

Kris narrowed his eyes, leaning over the counter. ”Why?”

 

Luhan’s smile froze in place. ”I have to return something.”

 

”What? Armani briefs?” Kris asked, nodding his head to the fabric peeking out of one of Luhan’s drawers.

 

A bright shade of pink dusted over Luhan’s cheeks. ”Kris, I can explain-”

 

”It’s fine,” Kris said, standing up straight. ”Just make sure to not get caught by anyone, and by anyone I mean Baekhyun. Sehun’s designs have been a buzz lately so it’d be a shame if you ruined whatever future he has with this company.”

 

”Yes sir,” Luhan promised, beam back in place. ”Oh right, Kiko backed out from the lingerie shoot. Said something about ing Dragon Island, whatever that means.”

 

”Damn it. Try to find me someone with her skin tone, will you? Reschedule the shoot for two o’clock and call Zhang Yixing if Rodriguez can’t make it. Have you seen Kyungsoo around?”

 

”He’s in your office and seems more homicidal than usual judging by how I heard Baekhyun screaming in agony about fifteen minutes ago.”

 

”Excellent,” Kris said and immediately headed down the hallway, rounding a corner to find Kyungsoo leaning against the door of his office with an impatient look on his face.

 

”Where the hell have you been and why aren’t you picking up your phone?” Kyungsoo snarled as a greeting.

 

Kris chuckled. ”Rough morning, huh?” He grabbed the cup of coffee in Kyungsoo’s hands, taking a sip before unlocking the door and marching into his office with his assistant at his heels.

 

”I’ve told you like a thousand times this past week that you’d have a morning meeting with Angel Cosmetics today. Do you know how embarrassing it is to keep rescheduling it? I’m pretty sure the CEO thinks you have some sort of personal grudge against him. The issue goes to print on Sunday and we have two days to fill five pages of the magazine with their new makeup line!”

 

”Chill, Soo,” Kris sighed, dumping the pile of papers he had received from Luhan into his assistant’s hands b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter