Ours Was The Best Thing

Ours Was The Best Thing (Jungkook x OC One-Shot)

No. of chapter: 1

Chapter title: Ours Was The Best Thing

Words counted: 4375

Present time // Jungkook's singing // Past time


 

The damp air from the showering outside is vaporizing across this underground bar, only to remind Park Yoojin about her cloudy day and damaged heart. She won't care anymore about the time as if she wants to stay here forever.

 

How could she not had a thought of that? In all those years of being a regular customer here in La Vie en Rose Bistro and Bar, Yoojin is always amazed by how the brick walls and the Parisian furnitures match together, giving that sensation of you being in the country itself; soothing and comfortable, very different from the other bars. Not that she'd been to Paris before, but she loves the city too much that the knowledge about it are stored in the back of her head.

However, the reason why Yoojin wants to stay for tonight is that she is too weak to step on another path. Rather than bawling in the middle of a public place, it's obvious that she'd choose this bar instead. She knew the staffs and owner anyways.

She wiped her tears away and raises one arm to attract the waitress. "Excuse me, can I get another one, please?" 

The need of alcohol is inevitable to throw away all of this terrible feelings. No, she promised to herself that she'd not cry for that jerk but she just can't accept the fact that her own best friend of eight years snatched him away in a single flick. 

"Why the hell she betrayed me? Is this how an eight-year friendship means to you?" The alcohol is slowly taking over her body as the waitress put another glass of gin on her lonely table. 

Meanwhile, Jeon Jungkook was struggling to find more gigs for his own sake until suddenly, the owner of La Vie en Rose noticed him at a small festival near Han river. When asked about being a regular performer on Friday nights, he immediately said yes. And now, he is preparing his first performance. Though, the customers inside are not that much. But he's still happy that he can do what he loves and make money from it. 

It's only two of them tonight, himself on the vocal and his new partner on the piano. After intro keys were heard, he begins spreading that angelic voice to the world.

Lately I've been thinking, 

thinking about what we had, 

I know it was hard, It was all that we knew, yeah.  

 

His eyes starts to scan the whole room, seeing some couples focusing on him, another still enjoying their foods and drinks, and one lonely girl keeps looking down.

 

Have you been drinking to take all the pain away? 

I wish that I could give you what you deserve.

 

'Cause nothing can ever, ever replace you. 

Nothing can make me feel like you do, yeah. 

You know there's no one I can relate to. 

And know we won't find a love that's so true.

 

He sings through his heart, with a sudden memory flooding inside his mind. Filled by the one and only girl he truly loved back then. 

 

Jungkook was always the so-called pretty boy among his school society, from the junior years even to college terms. Girls had crush on him but he was never intended to accept their love. He just believed that they only fall for his outside, not his whole story. Also, he thinks that they'd deserve some much better men than him. Until early in college, he saw this one clumsy, pretty girl that can fool you because of the though look she had. Long story short, they made it into a couple. It was beautiful because both of them loved each other to death, and it was their first times being in such enchanting and meaningful relationship. 

 

Soft and perfect kisses were planted in each other's lips, adventurous getaways were experienced multiple times, not to mention the jokes and the stupid little fights they had. But seems like Jungkook's 'fans' couldn't stand longer about her existence as his girlfriend. Thus, they start to bash her through bad, nasty, untrue comments about her.

 

"I think they were right. I'm not enough for you, Jungkook." She quietly said as the water had built up in her eyes.

Jungkook furrows his eyebrows. "Wait, are you saying that you still believe in them more than yourself?"

"I mean… what if I can't make you happy no more? What if I bore you? What if you can't stand me-"

Jungkook interrupts with a gentle kiss upon her lips. And in her fault, she didn't kiss back. But she feels uneasy instead. 

"I'm sorry…" She trails off after he pulled away. 

"You're not serious, right? We've been through this and we could make it. Us together vs the world, remember?" He starts to feel the panic roses inside him.

"I just… I don't have any confidence left. Each day, this terrible feeling keep on consuming me. I want to stop, I want to breathe," The girl said with the water streaming down onto her cheeks. "I need to."

The boyfriend feels the anger inside him, thinking about why she listened to them, or why she would want to believe in them.

"Thought you needed me to breathe? No, we need each other to breathe." He suddenly sounds stern, along with his now unreadable facial expression.

She slowly releases his hands that were clasped on her upper arms, "I'm sorry." and turns around, walking further from the confused and furious Jungkook. 

There's nothing like us, there's nothing like you and me. 

Together through the storm. 

There's nothing like us, there's nothing like you and me. Together, oh…

 

That lonely girl Jungkook has been paying attention to is now resting her head upon the table with her shoulder bouncing up and down, indicating that she is crying her heart out. He's so curious about her at the moment. Though, that curiosity about that particular person keeps giving him further memories with his past lover, which he doesn't know why.

 

I gave you everything, baby. 

Everything I had to give. 

Girl, why would you push me away, yeah? 

 

Lost in confusion, Like an illusion, 

You know I'm used to making your day. 

 

"Yah, why do you think the stars are everywhere right now?" Jungkook looks away from them, facing his girlfriend instead. 

"I don't know, maybe because we are in Inje? Obviously has less pollution than in the city." She scrunches her nose. 

He return his vision to the dazzling pearls of the sky again. "Tch, you're too literal. No fun."

"Why? Isn't that true?" She gets up for a second to grab her scarf, then goes back laying down beside him. 

A smile is drawn across his face because of how adorable and innocent she is. "It's because of you, dummy. They want to shine on you, so that I once again remember of how graceful and beautiful you are."

The blood is rushing up to her cheeks. His words are sometimes cheesy but that's what special about him; Those keep her blushing and cringing at the same time.

She lands a punch on his upper arm with a big grin on her face. "That's sooooo cute I cringe." 

"I will do anything for you, even if the task is to collect those stars." In all of sudden he becomes serious, with his gaze is now set only into her eyes.

"But you had already gave me everything."

"Then I'll give you the whole universe." 

Silence roses between them before she finally opens to say the precious word to him. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Park Yoojin."

Yoojin finally holds her head up, just to call for another drink. She is now too carried away as the lyrics of the song from the live music adsorb inside her. The good memories between her best friend and her previous lover have to be erased for good. She continues to feel the severe pain on her chest, along with her eyes because of the huge production of tears in the last few hours. 

But then, she looks straight to the now singing performer in the bar. Thus, making her eyes widen in shock.

"J-Jungkook?" She whispers slowly, recognizing that one-of-a-kind face that was once occupied her heart.

But that is the past now, we didn't last now, 

I guess that this is meant to be, yeah.

Tell me, was it worth it? We were so perfect. 

But, baby, I just want you to see.

 

There's nothing like us, there's nothing like you and me, 

Together through the storm.

There's nothing like us, there's nothing like you and me, 

Together, oh.

 

Jungkook opens his eyes to see the lonely girl already looking bewildered at him with her puffy red eyes. To his surprise, he is also enchanted. The girl he loved the most is now sitting near him after years of missing her touch and appearance. 

 

Also with a startled voice, he continues to finish the song of the night.

 

There's nothing like us, there's nothing like you and me, 

Together through the storm. 

There's nothing like us, there's nothing like you and me, 

Together, oh...

 

The people in the bar give him a round of applause as he immediately jumps off the mini stage and walk towards Yoojin's table. Without hesitation, he takes a seat in front of her with Yoojin still got that 'I-just-saw-my-ex' kind of expression. 

 

"Hey…" He eventually breaks the ice with his sweet, killer smile. "Why were you crying?" 

 

The question sounds like it came from a mouth of a best friend, regarding that this is the first time they meet again after a bazillion years. 

 

"Jungkook-ah…" 

 

The way she pronounces his name is an oasis for him; something that he really misses, he really needs. Jungkook can only stare at her flooded eyes, suddenly imprinting memories of them in the past into Yoojin's clueless mind. 

Yoojin herself is remembering them in flashes as she gets hazier each minute. Still at his gaze, she lets out a childish giggle, signing that she is already drunk. 

"You're Jeon Jungkook, right?" She grins. "Yah, it's been so long! Don't you miss me?" 

He grows quiet for a moment before answering "I do. I missed you." 

"Right??" Then a big laugh soaring from again. "You know what…? Same. Because I miss you, too." She hold her hand up for a high five, then failed miserably because she lost her balance until eventually, she falls into the vacant seat beside her.

Jungkook immediately stands up and tried to help her, but a waiter comes up to him and whispers, "Go to the bar area, the owner needs you."

"Okay, thanks." He answered while the waiter already left. His head turns to the now -out Yoojin and sighs, "Wait a moment. Don't go anywhere." Then he rushes to see the owner. 

"You have three other songs, why did you stop?" He asked, looking unpleased by his actions.

"I apologize, sir. Earlier I saw my friend and I think she is now drunk and it would be a bad idea to keep her here."

"Who? Miss Eugene Park?" 

He puts a confused face after he mentioned the name. Ah, Eugene = Yoojin. "If by Eugene Park also means Yoojin Park, then yes. She's my friend. She seems sick so I came to her."

"Yeah, she added her American name after she stayed there temporarily. Anyways, you were unprofessional to leave in the middle of your show like that. And that was your first performance ever here!"  

"Again, I really apologize. I need to take her home, sir. I'll make it up by performing the whole day tomorrow. Please let me go this one time?" He keeps looking down, pleading. The older guy just give a big sigh. "How is she your friend when you never come here with her?" 

That question seems like it doesn't need an answer, and Jungkook won't bother to do so. "Since she's our loyal customer and we all basically friends with her in this bar, show some evidence that you are her mate. Something bad is happening to her and you're done." 

"Well then you have to come with me." 

They are now walking to her seat when in a sudden, Yoojin unawarely gets up and sees Jungkook, then gives him a big smile. "Jungkook-ah where have you been? Where did you go~? Why did I only see black?" She grabs his hand as soon as they arrived.

Jungkook turns around, facing the owner. "See? I'm not capable of doing bad things. I'd rather make music."

"Alright. But if it turns out the other way around, you'll be immediately fired, get it?"

Jungkook nods a couple times. "Deal. Now take her home safely."

"Thank you, sir." He gave him a bow then lift her body in a piggy back ride. 

 

"Hey, Jungkook. Do you know what just happened to me today?" Her long wavy hair is falling onto his shoulders as they keep walking towards her apartment. Jungkook still remember where she lives. Well, hopefully it is still that one.

In return, he also smiles lightly. "I don't know. Would you care to tell?" 

"Well… Sunhee just took my boyfriend away!" Yoojin suddenly laugh histerically. "And here's the funny part: when that jerk told me he's in love with someone else, I was like, why'd you do that I loved you blahblah…" But the laugh doesn't last long, she turns sad immediately. "Then I found out it's Sunhee, I don't care about him anymore instantly. It's the friendship between me and her that ended just like that. I was more hurt because of that."

 Yoojin is now crying silently, but Jungkook obviously can hear the sobs she's hiding. It seems like she radiates the sadness very well that now himself feels it too. He knew how precious Sunhee was as her best friend. "You know, after my father issues and our relationship, I had a hard time approaching men. But then that jerk came for a moment, did bulls, and suddenly left me like a freaking… stew leftover."

Jungkook suddenly stops for a moment, thinking about that traumatic events she and her mother had gone through with her father. But he can't help to think that he was also the reason she had trouble with men. It's like putting another stone onto her back, hardening her burdens. 

She had a tough time because of me too?

Now seems like the perfect time for his turn to talk. "Yoojin-ah, I didn't mean to-"

A sound of small snoring pierced through his ears. He sighs loudly and continues to walk towards her place.

Jungkook smiled weakly as he found out that her apartment is still the same. It's because when he tried to open the door, the number 3333 is an absolute answer of the key. "Number three is more infinite than eight because the line is unfinished!" Yoojin answer when he asked about why that number is her favorite. 

She is now placed on her own bed, with Jungkook still staring at her while sitting on the edges. Her peaceful face and the naturally plump lips are only the little things he missed about her. He comes to realization again that the only person that can have his heart is the one and only Park Yoojin. But he doesn't know if she will be able to accept him again or not. At this thought, Jungkook suddenly becomes emotional.

"I never meant to be a burden to you, Yoojin. I should've chased you that night and asked for you to stay, I should've called you or came to hug you and said 'Everything will be okay', I was stupid for thinking that you might had someone else. But in reality, you were suffering."

He starts to brush her cheek with his thumb. "And there was no time that I didn't miss you. It's just that this stupid brain told me to hate you and stop thinking about you. I was a fool to let my brain overtook my heart,"

Clear liquids are now falling from his eyes, still looking at her endless beauty. "I am deeply sorry, Yoojin. And what my heart wants to say are that I miss you… and I love you,"

"I always am." 

Jungkook wiped his tears then writes something on the memo above the table beside her bed, ready to leave her. But in all of sudden, a sound of soft whisper fills the quiet air between them.

"I love you too, Jeon Jungkook."

His mind can only think that she is still drunk, so he just smiles and walk towards the front door. I wish you were sober enough to say that. He thought.

~

Yoojin wakes up with a major headache. Fortunately, this is Saturday so she doesn't have to make an excuse for her office because she'd be very late. Though, she finds it creepy that suddenly there is a written memo on the table. When she looks closer, the rush of relief streams to all over her body.

'I took you home. Don't freak out. 

Peace, Kookie.'

(Call me if you need help 010-3537-1345)

 

She stares at it for almost a long time, tries to make a decision whether she should phone him or not.

"Hello? You called for many times and I apologize for not receiving, I was performing." Yoojin eventually called him after about 5 failed attempts. Now she finally can hear that precious voice again.

"Um… hi. I found your memo." 

He gulped at the sound of her voice. "Oh," It's Yoojin. "H-hi… How are you, Yoojin?"

"Fine, I guess. Hey, can we talk for a moment? I want to know how did you get me home. You didn't… do anything more right?"

Jungook lets out a chuckle form the other line. "Of course not! I was just putting you in bed…. well, I leaned closer and-"

"Yah!" Her cheeks turn tomato.

Another big laugh comes from the boy. "I'm kidding! Anyways, where do you want us to meet?"

"Tonight at La Vie en Rose?"

"Sorry, I need to work until midnight today. How about tomorrow, lunch time?"

"Sure, that'll be great."

Then the conversation turns awkward. Both of them are clueless and definitely have no topic to talk about.

"Anyways," both of them say in unison. "You first." Jungkook immediately added.

"Well, thanks for taking me home. And I'm sorry if I talked nonsense."

"It's nothing, really."

"And... what are you gonna say?"

"Uh, It's great that I could meet you again."

***

"So, are you okay?" Jungkook asked first.

"Well, depends. Are you asking about my nonchalant chants while I was drunk or this current situation where I'm more sober?"

Jungkook sighs while staring deeply at her eyes, kinda wishing that she'd remember tiny bits about their talk that night. "Are you really blanked-out about our conversation?"

There is a little jolt in her heart when he said 'our conversation', as if they are now back together or something. "Y-yeah."

He forms his lips into a thin line, a little disappointed. "Okay, what do you wanna talk about now?"

Yoojin pulls out a blank music book, which is Jungkook's favorite since he likes to write songs. "I bring you your favorite book," She smiles while handing the ribbon-wrapped note. "I just want to thank you in a proper way. They usually just let me stay in this cafe instead of returning me home. And you know, after you get drunk, you actually kinda want to go back to your safest place,"

"Thank you, Jungkook. I really appreciate you keeping me safe until home."

"You're welcome, Yoojin." 

They both went silent for a moment before she decided to stand up and ready to say goodbye to him. "I should probably leave. I might miss some work sheet. Take care, ok? Hope to see you again." She smiles and leaves, just like that.

Jungkook thought that this may be the time he could tell the things at the other night clearly, because she is now full in sober. Without any hesitation, he runs immediately towards the already apart Yoojin.

"Park Yoojin!" She turns around and sees him coming to her. 

"Is anything wrong?"

"I… I just want you to know that…" I still love you. Can we do all the beautiful things together again? There was literally nothing like us, I swear to God.

"What?" Yoojin waits patiently.

"Uh… did you really forgot everything you said that night?"

She furrows her eyebrows, looking at him weirdly. "I'm sorry, I think I drank a lot. That must be one hell of a hazy night."  

He goes silent for a moment, just enjoying looking at her eyes again. "Alright… Have a good day. Stay healthy, Yoojin. We should really meet up again soon." And there he said her name, one more time.

 "Okay…maybe we should meet at later time. And you too! Bye!"

Jungkook stands still as he keep seeing the girl walking away as if this is the last time ever.

And Park Yoojin, while walking to her apartment, already regretting the things she had done earlier today. 

Without turning around, she finally answers the question he's been asking a couple times:

"I remember, Jungkook. I remember vividly what we have talked about that night."

 

 


How is it guys??comment please? HEHEHEEE

I'M SORRY IF IT'S CHEESY :(  

My first time writing a long romance story lmao. And Jungkook's like... ugh i love him so much. and btw their ages are like, mid 20s-ish so yeah they have works :)

Gif ISN'T mine

Anyways, I love you readersssssssssss (if y'all ever make it this far <3)

-Kendalllll