Chapter 1

Let Me Know

Mingyu could not withstand another minute of this. No matter how many times he has looked at the small, black letters printed on the glossy, crinkled pages of a book about molecular biology and genetics, the words would not sink in. If anything, they just seemed to slip down gleefully into a black hole in his mind where the knowledge would never be seen again. He sighed deeply in frustration and let his head flop heavily onto the book.

 

“Hey, Mingyu, I know it's boring but you’ve got to revise man” Seokmin insisted yet again, jabbing his finger into Mingyu’s side.

 

“Nothing’s staying in my head though” the brunette complained, swatting away the other’s hand.

 

“I have offered to help you revise but you keeping turning it down despite us both studying in the same department. Stop being so stubborn and admit you need my help” Seokmin stated as he flicked the younger on the forehead before turning back to his own book.

 

“I don’t think banging your head against the book will help you either” Soonyoung inserted, sporting a wide grin,”it’ll only make you more dumb.”

 

“Wow, I never knew that. Give me more of your wisdom, oh wise old man, Soon-old” Mingyu replied, rolling his eyes at the other male.

 

“I’m just looking out for you; don’t want you to hurt yourself. You’ll ruin your face and all of the girls will cry.”

 

“Would a bruise or a cut not make me look more handsome though? If anything, I would look badass.”

 

“Tsk tsk tsk. It would just make you look like a savage mongrel, not a badass, young one” Soonyoung said.

 

“Guys, please get back to studying like we’re meant to be” Seokmin interjected, not looking up from his book.

 

“It’s weird seeing you so serious” Soonyoung commented, leaning back in his chair to stretch his back,”what happened to the goofy Seokmin we used to know and his random horse dance? I miss him so much.”

 

“We didn’t even get to say goodbye. He will be greatly missed” Mingyu joined in, pretending to wipe away a tear.

 

“You two are so dramatic” Seokmin chuckled,”I’m only revising so that I don’t fail the test we have coming up next week.”

 

“Ugghh, don’t mention that” Mingyu groaned.

 

“I wonder what could be on that test… RNA and DNA hybridisation? Genetic engineering?” Seokmin teased while Soonyoung began to repeatedly chant “sciencey test, sciencey things” as well.

 

“You’re going to give me a mid-life crisis any second now and I greatly appreciate it” Mingyu said, bringing his hand to the side of his face in an attempt to make himself look worried but the smile tugging on the corners of his mouth gave him away.

 

The three laugh, Seokmin proceeding to sing “you’re welcome” before they were shortly told to “quiet down or leave the library” by the librarian, each stifling a laugh as they brought the books up to hide their face from one another.


 

*      *      *


 

After three hours of half assed attempts of studying, Mingyu’s stomach growled in hunger, signalling that it’s time to eat. The thought of stuffing his face with hamburgers and pizza was so teasing as it only made his stomach rumble again. Being able to gorge on greasy, fattening food made his mouth water and entirely lost interest in studying until his belly was stuffed.

 

“Hungry, Mingyu?” Soonyoung asked.

 

“You know the answer to that question” Mingyu replied, holding his stomach as he pouted.

 

“I’m feeling peckish too to be honest” Seokmin said, shutting his book close. He shimmied his jacket back on then got up out of his seat, retrieving his wallet from his bag,”I’ll go buy some food for us. What do you guys want?”

 

“Anything. Just give me all of the food the canteen has to offer please” Mingyu answered.

 

“I’ll come. I’m not sure what I want yet” Soonyoung said, getting up as well to join Seokmin.

 

“You’re leaving me by myself?”

 

“Dude, you are a strong, independent and capable human bean. You’ll be okay” Soonyoung jokingly said before giving a quick wave to the brunette.

 

“We’ll be back in a bit, Minnie! Look after our stuff” Seokmin said then made his way out with Soonyoung and disappeared through the library’s doors.

 

Knowing that he wasn’t going to study anymore at all, MIngyu slid the book back a little and propped his arms on the table as he thumbed his passcode and started scrolling through his phone. There wasn’t really nothing new going on, much to his disappointment, and he couldn’t find anything new to watch so he put his phone away into his back pocket instead. With no form of entertainment nor company, the brunette found himself extremely bored.

Looking around, Mingyu took in the environment around him. The library was considerably large, rows after rows of bookshelves which supported hundreds of books that were filled to the brim with facts, numbers, fantasy and drawings. There were quite a few students out

studying as well. Some by themselves with multiple books laid out in front of them and a few had laptops with them too, while other students were gathered in small groups to study but barely did any studying at all.

Bored of looking at the same book and acknowledging that even his phone wasn’t going to be useful to him, Mingyu pushed back his chair and got up to go look for more books in the science rows. Thankfully for him, the brunette and his friends don’t often visit the library so it meant that there were plenty of books yet to be read however, that meant that it could take quite awhile to find a book that he’ll like to help revise from. Once got to the science aisle and finding the start of column B, he begun searching for books that were about biochemistry. There were quite a few to do with biochemistry but they looked too menacing with their bulky spines and seemed too boring. Crouching down, he continued looking until he heard a “oh ” from the other side of the bookshelf and the next thing he felt was something sharp hitting him on the crown of his head.

 

“Ouch!” he hissed, wincing in pain as he reflectively reached to hold the top of his head. Rubbing the sore area, he looked up to his side to see a book had fallen on him and grabbing ahold of the book, he slowly stood up. Too focused on the pulsing ache on his head and giving the book evils, Mingyu didn’t notice a stranger half walking, half jogging up to him.

 

“, I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to push the book back that far. Are you alright?” the stranger asked, unsure of what to do.

 

Startled, Mingyu looked up to meet the stranger’s concerned gaze, waiting for a response from the brunette. The guy was just a couple of inches smaller, and had a noticeable slim frame despite wearing clothes that were baggy, his black hair just about falling over his eyes which were sharp and almost fox like, and lips were plump and rosy, slightly cracked and easily noticable where he has continously chewed on his bottom lip. He also noticed that the raven haired had a collection of books gathered in his arms and had them pressed to his chest for security although it did seem like they were going to fall at any moment.

 

“Y-yeah, I’m okay” he replied, sheepishly smiling as he continued to rub his head.

 

“Oh, that’s good. I’m sorry about that though” the male said, giving a small smile in return as the concern dispelled.

 

“Don’t worry, it was just an accident anyway. Besides, you helped pick a book for me so thanks, man” Mingyu said, twirling the said book in his hands.

 

The raven haired chuckled softly, his nose slightly scrunching. “I suppose you’re welcome then. Just tell me when you me to push a book onto your head so you’ll find the one.”

 

Mingyu laughed before asking, “do you need any help with those books?”

 

“It’s cool, I think I can manage these. Thanks for the offer though” the male replied.

 

“No problem” Mingyu said then felt his phone vibrate multiple times in his pocket so he pulled it out to see what the notification was.

 

14:20p.m

From: Hoshi the Headband

duuudddeee we’re back with the food.

where r u? ;((

 

Placing it back into his pocket, Mingyu gave a quick smile then said,”sorry, my friend just messaged me to say they’re back with food so I better get going. It was nice meeting you, man” and he stuck hand out before realising that that was pretty stupid as the other guy’s hands were occupied so he immediately withdrew his hand. “ Sorry, uh- I forgot that your holding the books."

 

“It’s okay” the guy said once he finished softly laughing at Mingyu's bashfulness,”Go get your food then if your friends are here. It was nice meeting you too."

 

Giving a quick nod, Mingyu moved away and made his way back to the spot him and his friends were sitting. With the book still in his hand, Mingyu lightly laughed to himself at what had happened but then remembered that he didn’t ask the guy his name. Vexed that he forgot to ask, Mingyu shrugged his shoulders. He’ll probably see him again sometime so he can ask him then.

 

“Where did you go, bro?” Soonyoung called out as soon as the brunette got closer to the table.

 

“Just looked around and found something good” Mingyu answered then held up the book, smirking widely to himself.


 

_________________________________________________________________________


 

A/N: ahhh finally!! Compared to the original first chapter, I feel more content with this but I’m just happy to be finally writing and I’m so sorry for the long wait.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this and see you soon! Hope you had/have a good weekend!