Sequel

The Year of 1952

 

 

Some days, Chaeyoung still could not believe that Mina was hers, and she was Mina's. Was this real? Did Mina really want her?

 

She remembered that one time in Fifth Avenue, she forgot what street it was, when she had s her hand down Mina's arm to tangle her fingers with Mina's own. But much to her dismay, Mina had murmured under her breath, "Don't."

 

And this scene from the past would flash in her mind every once in a while, and she had to tell herself very often that this had been a long time ago. More than 3 months ago, to be at least a bit more precise.

 

But now it was April, and Chaeyoung could not have been happier to spend this Spring with Mina, and the next Spring, and then the next . . . But Chaeyoung could not bear to imagine all the seasons she would be spending with Mina, because then a burst of happiness would then wash over her body, and she would find herself smiling out the blue. 

 

But today, Chaeyoung was having none of those complexities. It was a Sunday, and Mina was steaming the both of them some milk. Chaeyoung propped her head up with her elbow perched atop the dining table (did she ever mention that she now lived with Mina as well? Life was fantastic. Also, the landlady thought Mina was her aunt, amusingly.). She smiled at Mina the whole time, and when Mina had caught Chaeyoung's gaze, she smiled back as well. It amazed Chaeyoung how she could have shared this kind of language with Mina - a kind of language that did not need the medium of words. The lock of their eyes, or their lips, would often surpass a hundred, thousand, or million of words. 

 

Mina had just finished steaming the milk. She turned the fire out. She scrutinized it, checking if it was okay, and she cautiously her lips then touched her ears, and Chaeyoung smiled because the peculiar gesture was so Mina.

 

"Did you know that I love you, Mina?" Chaeyoung had said so naturally.

 

And Mina walked towards Chaeyoung. She leant in, until her face was less a centimeter close to Chaeyoung's. (Chaeyoung could have said it was dangerously close, but why would she have to feel endangered, when she was with Mina?) 

 

"And did you know that I love you, Chaeyoung?"

 

Chaeyoung smiled, leaned in, and their lips had locked. She placed her hand on the nape of Mina's neck. This was the kind of feeling, that Chaeyoung was familiar with but vulnerable to all the same. It was exactly just like that night in Rochester all over again.

 

In fact, it was always that feeling all over again, whenever she was with Mina. It was the kind of feeling - that a hundred, thousand, million words could not convey. It was the kind of feeling that novels throughout the centuries had always tried to grasp, but amusingly, here it was - right at Chaeyoung's hands, right on Chaeyoung's lips. Myoui Mina.