"I missed you."

The Reunion (a.k.a. The One That Got Away)

 

Siwon sat at the corner table of the café with the best view of the door waiting for someone to arrive.

Their agreed meeting time was 10AM and it was only a quarter past 9.

He figured he still had about 45 minutes to himself.

Nursing a cup of Café Americano, he started looking around observing the people within the premises.

About 10 minutes into the wait, the door suddenly sprang open and a familiar-looking petite woman with shoulder-length dark brown wavy hair hurried straightaway to the counter.

Must be dying for a cup of coffee,” he mused.

Then suddenly, it occurred to him why she looked so familiar…

Hey, isn’t that Tiffany?!” he wondered.

Didn’t she notice me when she came in?

Siwon figured that she may just be in a hurry to get coffee and decided to wait for her to get near him before making his move.

Knowing Fany, she couldn’t function all that well without first pumping caffeine into her system.

Who would’ve thought it’s been more than 2 years since they’ve seen each other?

And he can still remember all the little details about her, as if they’ve never been apart for a day.

She looks great,” he noticed with appreciation and discovered that she’s grown even more beautiful than the last time he saw her, if that’s even possible.

Stopping himself before he gets distracted reminiscing about the past, a thought occurred to him.

Wait…why not surprise her by going up to her instead?!” he decided.

 

---

 

“Fany? Tiffany Hwang?!” tapping her lightly on the shoulder to get her attention.

Turning around facing him, she blurted out an “OhMyGosh!!! Choi Siwon!?!”

“Yeah, hehe, it’s me,” giving her one of his signature dimpled smiles gesturing to himself with his hands.

Shocked speechless, she managed to give him a shy smile not knowing what to say at the moment.

“Over there,” he directed to where he was sitting a few minutes ago, giving her back a gentle push.

Picking up her cappuccino and blueberry muffin, she followed him as he guided her to the corner table.

Once they were settled, both looked up to each other and spoke at the same time, “Long time no see!”

Aigoo…her eye smile…still melts my heart…I think I’m starting to sweat bullets…Oh nooo…

Omo! He’s still as handsome as I remembered…I hope I’m not blushing…this is gonna be so embarrassing…

Being the man, Siwon felt he should start the conversation.

“Sooo…when did you get back from the States?”

“Three weeks ago…” and she surprised him by declaring, “I’m back for good!”

“O-oh…that’s great…then…” he stammered. He did not expect that at all.

He thought she was just here for another one of her visits.

“Neh. I have to admit I miss Seoul. Plus, I didn’t really have a choice. Appa wanted to come home. He said he prefers to die in his home country,” rolling her eyes then adding, “As if that’s gonna happen anytime soon. I seriously think he’s immortal!” she finished with a laugh.

He laughed along with her in agreement.

“Enough about me! I heard you’ve finally taken over the family business, President Choi~, way to go!”

 Shaking his head at her attempt to , “Oh well... Appa wanted to retire early so he turned over the running of the company to me last year. He’s not totally out of the picture though. It’s kinda annoying sometimes, how he’s almost always there. Don’t get me wrong, I must admit I couldn’t do it by myself just yet but still…you know…?”

Nodding in sympathy, she assured him “Don’t I know it! Working for the family is not easy breezy…” she said chuckling along with him.

Then their laughter faded into an awkward silence. Both of them trying to look anywhere but at each other.

“I missed you,” he confessed with a deep sigh nervously anticipating her reaction.

She stared at him for a few seconds, hardly believing what she just heard him say.

“You should’ve waited for me…” she softly proclaimed, a hint of disappointment evident in her voice.

“I know…” he told her with a sad smile, “I regretted letting you go that easily ever since.”

“I-I’m so-sorry, I shouldn’t be  here…” her eyes started to tear up, “B-but I was selfish…I wanted to see you…it wasn’t a good idea after all…meeting like this…”

“Fany-ah…” it hurt him seeing her about to cry, “I’m sorry for making you feel that way.”

“Siwon, I should go…” and she started to get up from the table.

“Tiffany…wait!”

She cut him off with a hand gesture and before he could say anything else, she tells him in a rush, “By the way, congratulations and best wishes in advance.”

And just like that, she disappeared from his life once again; much like how she appeared several moments ago.

He blinked in surprise, eyebrows furrowed, trying to snap himself out of his reverie.

Did that really happen or was I just imagining it did?!

Slumping back down to his seat, he noticed the empty mug she left on the table along with her half-eaten muffin. Proof that Fany was indeed with him awhile ago.

His phone ringing brought him back to his senses…

“Yeoboseyo?” he answered halfheartedly.

“Wonnie~ I’m sorry I got stuck in traffic…I’ll be there in 10 minutes, okay?”