It works out

Musical

The arts department is a mess of smoky perfumed sheets of satin wool draped around humongous statues of men and bust of greek goddesses.
It's also a sturdy and violently brilliant catwalk for Ten to stroll about on. It's like a mix of funk and pop plays on the speakers everytime you see him. 

He's from the torso up and wears black shorts that jingle with his sway.

The science department is the same but with white vests and dissecting dummies. It's hard to be glamorous when you're dancing with a plastic skeleton.
For some reason unknown to the stars, the earth, the moon and even himself, Yuta is in his 6th year of college. He's doing a thesis on a subject that will never get him a job. Only the arts department students get that chance. They step heelless into a career they studied nothing for


Yuta's busted his cap too long to choose something other than at least an eye doctor. Or something.

Like an unlikely protagonist, he is in the library contemplating on wether to take a one or two hour nap in order to take a break from the thousands of graphs floating all around him, when suddenly, the speakers turn on with a scratchy sound before blasting an upbeat out of this world rhythm.
Yuta is shocked because they're in a library but then he sees Ten walk in and turns back to his book. Ten is everyone's name for him. Yuta thinks thats nice. His mom sometimes calls him Yu .


The song continues and Yuta starts bopping his head up and down to the cosmic rhythm. His head is on a break so he lets his mouth do the talking. The words on his paper flow better and two, three, four times he makes a mistake but it doesn't bother him. The song flows into him. 

 

"Dude" he turns to find Johnny staring at him wide eyed. He says nothing else, just stares. 

The song ends abruptly. The people on the table across from him are staring him down, their pencils mid-air.
Yuta buries himself in his books and decides on a two hour nap. Johnny pokes him thirty minutes later because he's snoring.

 

His days pass as usual until he runs into an open door and smacks head first into a poster for the end of the year Art Department's show. It's called "nct" and has a half Ten on it. The paper is glossy and Ten looks like a professional powdered up idol. A tribute to the Art Department's budget.
The posters are few in the hallways of the laboratories but outside, you can find one at every turn. He sees a few people stealing some for themselves. After lunch, new posters have already replaced the stolen ones.

Yuta is on his way home early one day, as a means to avoid his teachers. They're pestering him in becoming a teacher's assistant whilst working on his thesis. Yuta likes sleeping and gaming, both of which can take up twelve hours of his day if he's not careful.

 

"Nakamoto Yuta right?"

Ten stops a few feet away from him with a unsure smile and a favor to ask of him. Yuta knows.

"Yes, how can I help you?" He doesn't move from his spot in the courtyard, if only inching unconsciously to the exit gate.

"Ah well first, to present myself, my name is Ten, a third year in the art's department. My specialty is…"

He goes through the whole process like a well-rehearsed line with the excitement of a first day live.


Yuta doesn't like rude dongsaengs, this Ten is like a breath of fresh air, a little too fresh, a little too bright. Yuta is an indoors person.

"Actually" Ten finally takes a few steps towards Yuta after they've both exchanged greetings. "I heard you Sing in the library" and Ten smiles wider, like he's trying not to laugh. "You were really good!". And now he's laughing and all of a sudden Yuta feels like he's being made fun of. That's the kind of laugh Ten has. A kid's laugh. Cute and naughty. Like Ten.

"Would you like to be in a musical with me?"

By the end of the next semester, when spring starts settling in, Yuta thinks about changing the subject of his thesis. Maybe something related to music. And if between it all they steal a few kisses then whos to complain?