The Lost Five

I’m chasing butterflies, so lost in dreams (alternatively saudade)

Seokjin opened his eyes to Yoongi and saw the whole world. It was beautiful like the boy standing in front of him. However, this world was also ephemeral, only to be looked at from afar and Seokjin wished he could touch what was before him but he knew he couldn't. Because then everything would’ve flown away and disappeared like a butterfly. 

 

This thought must have caused the scrunching of his face for gentle fingers were smoothing the creases on his forehead. And Yoongi’s flittering touches were perfect, as if it had always belonged on his skin.

 

‘No, keep it like that. He looks really ugly.’

 

The fingers quickly retreated. Seokjin glared at the intruder who shattered his peace. He was met with the vision of Jungkook who merely shrugged, a pleased glint in his dark orbs. Was Seokjin surprised? Of course not. Because only brats like Jungkook found it necessary to say the dumbest things at the best time. So Seokjin decided to do what he had always done – he opened his mouth, ready to fling insults.

 

‘How are you doing?’ umber eyes peered softly at him.

 

Seokjin closed his mouth. He found himself biting his lips to stifle the blossoming smile, caused by Yoongi’s question. Yet, he didn't immediately answer the boy and instead tried to stand up. His cluttered mind and numb legs made it difficult to do so, resulting in Seokjin to flop around like a fish to the great amusement of those around him. A pout formed. Though soon enough, the growing irritation melted as Yoongi held out his hand. Inadvertently, a smile formed.

 

 ‘I’m good now.’ A standing Seokjin mouthed to Yoongi, before focusing on the rest of the group.

 

He began to count.

 

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five...

 

There were only five. Seokjin had found five lonely souls who were misguided without the sixth person. The puzzle was almost complete; yet, the vital piece was missing. It was imperfect. How sad.

 

Stiffly, Seokjin turned towards Namjoon.

 

‘Where’s Taehyung?’

 

Namjoon raised an eyebrow. Then, moved the cigarette away from his lips and pointed towards the giggling pair on his right.

 

Their chuckles quieted. The two, Jungkook and a thin brunet, glanced at Seokjin and then past him, staring dazedly into the empty wilderness beyond. Their expressions were strangely lost. It had been a while since Seokjin had seen such confusion on anyone’s face and its oddness fogged up his mind. He quickly shook the feeling off.

 

‘Jimin, where is Taehyung?’ 

 

The brunet snapped out of his trance. Seokjin watched as a smile suddenly bloomed like a hyacinth at the start of spring - a shower of petals. It seemed too large on Jimin’s face.

 

‘What are you talking about? He’s right beside us.’

 

Seokjin witnessed as Jimin captured the gazes of the others who all turned towards him, nodding in unison. They had matching grins, radiant in a way that it cleared up the cloudiness of their eyes. All except Yoongi’s. There was something indecipherable in Yoongi’s irises. This observation was quickly dismissed when Seokjin felt a presence behind him.

 

In a flash, a strong arm had wrapped around Seokjin’s waist and a hand reached out to cover his eyes. Gently.

 

‘Guess who I am?'

 

 


I edited this chapter because i'm a bit unsatisfied with it. I still am but it'll get better.