Final

Page Turner (Sequel)

Every day, Yoo Seul would still wait an extra five minutes outside her doorstep before going to school. Deep inside, she was hoping Cha Sik would suddenly appear again, just like how he first appeared. She recalled how he jokingly said, “I swear that when I’m not next to you, you’ll miss me.” She hated to admit it but she really did miss him. And she misses him a lot, a lot.

“How could you just disappear like this?!” She yelled to thin air, throwing her cane onto the sand.

Then, she heard footsteps approaching her. It made her nervous and slightly hopeful. Could it be…

“Cha Sik-ah, is that you?” she called out.

“Ani.” He replied curtly, picking up her cane.

“Seo Jin Mok, why are you here?” she rolled her eyes.

“Are you missing the Larva, already?” he asked, putting the cane back into her hands.

Her hands were cold, he realized.

“Stop calling him that. He has a name!” She defended.

“But he calls me dumber!” He childishly retorted.

Casually, he took a seat in the empty swing beside her.

“You know, it kinda feels quieter without his loud existence.” He admitted.

She remained silent and he knows she agreed with him but was too proud to admit. The snow started falling again out of a sudden and she sneezed. Removing his coat, he put it on her.

“Let’s go, before the acidic snow make you turn bald.” He joked and she laughed.

From afar, someone quietly walked away from behind the walls.

-

Yoo Seul thought she could maybe get used to the sound of the old piano at this rate. People would think she is crazy for leaving her expensive upright piano idle at home and frequently playing on this abandoned old piano on the streets. Maybe, just maybe, it’s because the melody reminded her of him. The short-lived but happy moments. Every time she played on it, she could vaguely feel Cha Sik sitting next to her. She could relive the moments when she scolded him but he would just keep quiet and try harder. That was one thing she liked about him. He would always give his 200%, 300%, 400% or even more if it’s not enough.

That night, Yoo Seul slammed her hands into the piano.

“You know—” Someone said.  

“That day, the boy you always practice with came by in the afternoon and played the piano; he felt like a different person. It was bravo, truly amazing how he played it!” The old man said.

“Cha Sik came on the piano competition day to play the piano?!” She exclaimed in shock, standing up.

“I’m not sure if it’s on the competition day but he came with a slightly older lady.” He replied simply and walked back to his store.

Falling back into the seat, she couldn’t understand. If he knew how to play, why’d he leave her at the competition venue to play with Seo Jin Mok? It was probably because he wanted her to win. But he could have told her. He could have warned her before vanishing like this.

-

It was finally spring and it made people feel good. Yoo Seul thought the snow was beautiful but it was pointless since she can’t see it anymore. She hated the cold more.

“We have a new student.” The teacher announced.

The class quietened down and when the new student entered, a commotion aroused. Yoo Seul wondered what was wrong.

“Hello everyone. The larva, Jeong Cha Sik is back~ Did you guys miss me?!” He jokingly said.

Jin Mok looked to his side to see Yoo Seul’s expression. From her face, he observed a mixture of relief, annoyance and anger brewing within her.

“Have fun, larva.” He thought to himself.

“Jeong Cha Sik, you idiot, meet me outside!” Yoo Seul yelled once the class ended as she stormed out of the class, swinging her cane around.

“Where have you been?” she yelled.

“I am sorry.” He said in a serious tone.

“Why did you leave without a word and not answer my calls?!” She shouted, hitting his chest and dropping her cane in the process.

“I am sorry.” He said once more.

“Did you know how worried I was?” she cried, hitting him harder.

Then, she felt a pair of strong arms hugging her, holding her firmly against his chest.

“You missed me… It’s such a relief. I thought you wouldn’t” He tightened his grip.

“You idiot.” She mumbled against her chest.

Jin Mok silently walked back into the classroom after watching the scene. He felt something in his chest and the feeling was not good at all. To be exact, he hated it.

-

“Where are you going?” Cha Sik half-jogged to catch up with Yoo Seul.

He found himself in the piano practice room the next moment.

“I heard you could play the piece already. Play for me.” She said, taking the seat in the other piano after fumbling slightly.

“But-” He said but she cut him.

“I knew it. You can’t play it, right? The old man must be lying-” She clasped her hands together in an attempt to spite him.

Then, the music began. He took it slow and hit the notes perfectly. Finally, it was at the highlight. She held her breath as he hit the keys flawlessly at 135bpm or maybe, even faster. When he ended, no one spoke.

“You are not Seo Jin Mok, right?” she said, making both of them laugh.

“Seems like someone really has some talent in piano.” She said softly, instantly regretting when he excitedly pestered her to repeat it again and again.

“I’ve played for you. Will you grant me a wish too?” he asked, inching closer to her face.

She could feel his breath on her face and that made her cheeks turn right.

“Let’s play it together.” He said, returning back to seat.

Yoo Seul’s shoulders deflated as she realized she was thinking too much.

“Fine.” She replied, starting the composition.

Cha Sik occasionally stared at Yoo Seul’s smiling face as they played together. Her smile was dazzling, even more beautiful than the rainbow he saw when he heard her play. Her smile resembled the stars and her fingers were like the raindrops hitting the keys rhythmically but yet, so beautifully. The scene was exactly like his dream. Just that instead of having hundreds of people clapping for them, there were only the two of them in a small studio. However, he didn’t regret his choice. Because she won and she continued playing her dreams. And she was playing with him right now, and that was all that mattered.

“We seem to match each other quite well.” Yoo Seul coughed and said, clearing the awkward silence.

“Be honest with me, how did you improve so fast?” she asked.

“Based on your skills previously, it won’t be possible for you to enter our school.” She tried to figure out.

“It’s because I’ve an amazing teacher.” He smiled.

“Who is that?” she turned to him and asked.

“It’s a secret.” He teasingly poked her forehead and said.

The two playfully chased each other around with Cha Sik dodging and making sounds from time to time and Yoo Seul trying to seek and hit him with her cane. Then, she accidentally tripped but he caught her in time. She could feel his breath on her face again and this time, her heartbeat accelerated too.

“I am about to do something that I’m certain you’d kill me after which.” He cautioned in his deep voice.

“Do it.” She said.

 At her consent, he kissed her gently, like how the wind softly touches the petals of a flower. Cha Sik thought his dream came true again. A dream he thought would never, ever come true for him.

Jin Mok shook his head at the scene as he walked off, heading back to the practice room. Slamming the door behind him, he plopped himself into the piano seat and opened the cover. Recently, Jin Mok thought his mechanical style started to change. People said his playing had more feelings, and he no longer sounded like a psychopath. He thought he knew the reason behind it. Because whenever he played, his mind subconsciously drifts to a certain someone. Someone who thought they were enemies for the longest time. Someone who thought he hated her. Someone who never knew and would never know how he truly felt towards her.

The song ended and Jin Mok felt emptier than before. He replayed the piece, over and over again until his injured hand from before hurt. But he never stopped. He kept playing and playing. Tears finally fell and he stopped. He wished his feelings would stop too. 

“I like you, Yoon Yoo Seul.”