A Science Miracle!

Time Travel Mishap
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

If there were three things that made Hyukjae smile it was corny science jokes, coffee, and the smell of success. And right now, he had on the biggest smile Heechul had ever seen the man wear in a very long time. It must mean something was finally going right. 

 

Hyukjae continued to read off the numbers that were appearing on his screen, the computer that was hooked up to his machine giving off periodic beeps as it collected data. 

 

Heechul stared at him from where he was leaning against the counter that was filled with spare wires and circuit boards as a coffee spill was being wiped away with his careless hands. That’s how Heechul could definitely tell something good must be happening with those numbers Hyukjae was so focused on. Usually Hyukjae was a torn in his side about keeping the lab tidy, which was surprising because the man was a mess himself. Heechul had managed to spill a bit of his blonde coffee onto the pearl white counter, and yet, Hyukjae’s eyes stayed fixed on the screen. 

 

“I’m guessing you finally got the hunk of junk to work,” Heechul said after a while, getting creeped out with the smile that was adorning the usually grumpy man’s face. Hyukjae passed him a look that said he was holding back from throwing something at him.

 

“It’s not a hunk of junk. And yes, the readings are finally matching my calculations,” Hyukjae said, pausing to squint suspiciously at a piece of incoming data before he shot out of his chair to go tinker with his time machine. 

 

You heard right. A time machine. 

 

Hyukjae claimed he could make the impossible a reality, but no one believed him. Even the research board thought he was insane for trying, earning him the nickname mad scientist Hyuk among the board members. Hyukjae didn't like any one of them. They refused to give him funding for his project and were constant pests who were only money hungry and didn't care about actual science. 

 

“Stop staring like an idiot and come help me,” Hyukjae said. He had opened up small compartment in the machine’s side where all the main circuitry was. The CPU was also in there and coming over, Heechul saw that was what Hyukjae was fiddling with. 

 

A few adjustments later and Hyukjae was back in front of his computer, once again paying close attention to the many numbers running across his screen. But, just then, a different kind of beep was heard in the lab. It was the notification for an email. 

 

Hyukjae’s usual frown was back on his face as he saw it was another email from the board. As he opened and read the message, his frown only deepened until it was an engaged lip twitch. 

 

“Terminated?!” Hyukjae hollered, slamming a hand down on his desk. “Those buffoons!”

 

Heechul ran around the lab’s many obstacles to see what had gotten Hyukjae riled up. Coming to read over his shoulder, he could see the message.

 

 

Mr. Lee Hyukjae,

 

    It has come to our attention that your research has been at a stagnant and has produced no results since your time with us. It is thereby in the board’s best interests that we stop funding your project. This organization prides itself on scientific discoveries and it has been unanimously decided that your research is hardly within scientific reason. Therefore, you have one month to prove that your research project is producing results, or else we will be forced to terminate your contract with this organization and you will be kicked out of our lab.

 

Signed, 

The members of the Research Board. 

 

 

“Those morons aren't even funding me! It’s my own money! They can’t kick me out! Everything’s almost done!” Hyukjae slammed his hand down again before raking his hands through his hair. 

 

“At least you have a month left,” Heechul said, watching Hyukjae kick the edge of the desk. 

 

“That’s not enough time! The machine might almost be working, but it’s still not functioning properly. There has to be testing and trials to make su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter