That day

그 날 (That day)
그 날

 

That night, for some reason, she was unable to fall asleep even though she had been lying down in the dark on her bed since 2 hours ago. The low, steady hum of the air conditioner accompanied her and in her distant mind, she could hear the piano melody of a song she had been working on for the past week. Lately, she asked for composing lessons from their CEO, Kim Do Hoon, and they worked together to create a new song but it was still incomplete.

 

'It doesn't sound like what I intent it to be.'

 

'Give it time. I didn't become a hit composer overnight,' their CEO advised as he left her at the practice room.

 

While composing for the new song, she picked up the acoustic guitar and taught herself to play and once in a while, she would strum some chords and write in her notebook for future references. She stared at the ceiling, appreciating the glowing star decorations she put up a month ago when she had just moved into her apartment. In the urban area she lived in, the city lights were too bright for her to clearly see the beautiful starry night so she resorted to the stars glowing at her ceiling whenever she felt like stargazing. It didn't compare to the night sky but it fulfilled her wish to see the stars at night so it'll do.

 

'My daughter, Byulyi, like the stars I hope you'll keep on shining,' her father told her when she was young.

 

She loved her name and when asked to pick a stage name, she decided on Moonbyul, the Moon and the Stars. She thought that it was perfect because that way she could keep her precious name and it's easy to remember.

 

Beep

 

She rolled to her side and reached out for her phone that was plugged to the charger on the bedside desk. Looking at the lock screen, she stared at it for a few seconds before unlocking it to read the text she received.

 

Byulie-unnie, are you asleep?

 

A small but happy smile graced her face as she read the text from her fellow member, Wheein, and she typed out a short reply and detached her phone from the charger to get comfortable on her bed.

 

Nope!

 

The chatroom wallpaper was a picture of them, her and Wheein, smiling brightly to the camera with the sunset as the background. They were hanging out together that day, having their first day off after endless performances for their comeback promotion, and they spent the whole day traveling around Seoul with the park as their last destination.

 

'Unnie! Let's take a picture together when the sun sets!'

 

And so that picture immediately became Byulyi's favorite photo and she made it her chatroom wallpaper. No matter how many times she sees it, she couldn't help herself from smiling and her heart warmed as she recalled that day.

 

Do you want to come over?

 

The digital clock on her phone showed 02:37 and she contemplated whether it is a good idea to go out at the ungodly hour but before she could register it, she was already agreeing to the offer and found herself waiting outside Wheein's door. The door swung open after one knock and Byulyi entered her apartment to get away from the cold and they sat together at the sofa in the living room wordlessly. The only light source was from the kitchen and neither bothered to switch open the lights in the living room.

 

Wheein had taken a blanket out so she unfolded it and shared it with Byulyi and then rested her head on the latter's shoulder. Byulyi lifted her left arm and embraced Wheein so she could snuggle closer.

 

"Byulie-unnie, why are you still up?"

 

"I was just thinking of the new song."

 

"How is it going?"

 

"I'm only half done with it but I finalized the lyrics already."

 

"Really? Let me hear it."

 

"Right now? I still don't have the melody yet."

 

"Just the lyrics, just the lyrics."

 

That day,

When my eyes first landed on you,

I knew,

The person I'm searching for,

It's you

 

I've always been curious,

How love at first sight feels,

When I looked at you,

Everything else didn't matter,

Time stopped,

There's only you in my eyes,

That's when I experienced it,

My first love,

Love at first sight

 

"It's good! Unnie, a little greasy but it's good. Do you have a title in mind?"

 

"I'm still thinking."

 

"Any in particular?"

 

"That day?"

 

"Why?"

 

That day,

I fell in love,

I love everything about you,

From your smile to your voice,

From your pout to your whining,

I'm in love with you

 

That day,

That day,

Still fresh in my mind,

The day you appeared in my life,

The day I fall in love

 

Without realizing it, Byulyi had lulled Wheein to sleep and once again, her lips curled into a smile. No matter what she did, be it laughing or crying or denying her cuteness or being a derp and making funny faces, she's always cute in Byulyi's eyes.

Silently, whispering into the sleeping puppy's ear, she sang the last line to her now-completed song,그 날 (That day).

 

In love with Jung Wheein