The Whale's Feather

The Angel Who Couldn't Fly

The Angel Who Couldn't Fly

Caution: Deals with deep subjects.

Word count: 762


 

Mark runs, his legs burning with every step up the long flight of stairs. His sweaty hands gripping tightly onto the side rails as he pulls himself up. The boy's heart beating out of his chest, his white wings limp behind him.

 

No… wait… please…

 

As adrenaline shoots through his system, Mark finally reaches the top of the stairs, his thighs pulsing with pain. A metal door lies before him, the edges rusting away.

 

Mark doesn't take a second to catch his breath; the door cries as it crashes open against the wall. The cold winter air burns as it blows onto Mark's face. Mark's eyes search the rooftop.

 

Where is he?

 

The out of breath boy feels his wings twitch, the wind breathing air into them. His brown eyes are drawn the figure standing next to the edge. The boy's brown hair blowing in the wind, lifeless wings hanging on his back.

 

“Jinyoung!!!” Mark screams. He runs, hand reaching out.

 

The quivering boy turns around and Mark notices the tears welling up in his eyes.

 

Jinyoung!

 

“M-Mark…” Jinyoung whispers, barely loud enough for Mark to hear.

 

“Jinyoung, please don't do this. I… I know it's hard, but please…” Mark's mind runs blank as he wracks his brain for something to say. Anything.

 

“I-I can't do it anymore Mark… it just hurts so much.” The tears that were welled about within his eyes pour down. The boy clutches his chest as though his heart were tearing.

 

“You don't need to fly! You're still yourself Jinyoung and I love you that way…” Mark inches closer, his mind racing.

 

“How can you understand Mark? I have wings, but I can't fly. I'm reminded everyday of how utterly useless I am. I… can't take it anymore.”

 

The wind stops blowing. Silence surrounds the two boys. “I don't understand Jinyoung, I know that. But I'm here, do you need more than that?”

 

“I… I just want to be normal Mark. I mean, what kind of an angel can't fly? The way I am, I'm better off dead!” Jinyoung cries.

 

Mark stops inching forward, his heart shattered. “Jinyoung…” The boy bites back his tears.

 

All this time, he had known. He had known that Jinyoung was depressed about his wings. That he felt useless not being able to fly. But he had brushed it off, thinking everything would be fine.

 

“How can you say that Jinyoung? When I'm here, and I love you, how can you say that?” Mark yells in dismay, “how could you even consider leaving alone here? Whether you can fly, or not, you're still just Jinyoung.”

 

Mark watches as Jinyoung wipes his tears, his feet still centimeters away from the edge. “Do you really mean that Mark?” Jinyoung mumbles.

 

“Yes, without a doubt Jinyoung, so please come back to me.” Mark holds out his hand as he walks closer.

 

Jinyoung hesitates. I'm still a useless angel…

 

The wind blows. Time stops as Mark watches Jinyoung fall backwards. He screams. Mark runs as fast as his feet take him, and then he jumps off, his wings pulled in.

 

Jinyoung falls head first, his limp body falling fast down the 50 floor building. His eyes closed, his mind slipped into unconsciousness.

 

“Jinyoung!!!” Mark reaches Jinyoung and he holds onto him, shaking him in an attempt to wake him.

 

I won't be able to carry both of us!

 

Mark yells Jinyoung's name as he hurriedly attempts to slow them down. They plummet down fast.

 

“Nghh…” Jinyoung's eyes flutter open, his eyes met with Mark's.

 

“Jinyoung, spread open your wings!” Mark cries as he flaps his own, the ground becoming too close.

 

“I-I can't Mark!” Jinyoung exclaims as he pours all strength into his wings.

 

The feathery white wings slowly outstretch, the never moved bones creaking. “You can do it Jinyoung!”

 

Jinyoung yells in pain as he flaps his wings, his eyes scrunched in concentration.

 

Fly!

 

Mark can't believe his eyes when the two stop, their bodies just barely above the ground. More than that, Mark can't believe that Jinyoung's wings are flapping, as though they had always known how to fly.

 

“J-Jinyoung!” Mark exclaims, a soft chuckle escaping him. Jinyoung opens his eyes, shock still trembling him.

 

“I-I’m flying Mark! I'm flying!!!” Jinyoung laughs, pure joy overtaking him.

 

“Yeah, you're flying Jinyoung. You're flying.” Mark pulls Jinyoung in, the embrace amidst the cold wind, warming the two boys’ hearts.

 

Jinyoung smiles as he nuzzles himself on Mark's shoulder. “We're flying Mark.”

 

“We're flying.”