If Only

If Only

It's true, you won't realize what you've had until it's gone. And once you realize it's out of your reach already, what would you do?

 

 

 

"Kai, what is this again?" The lady asked him. She looked at him, as if her student pulled another prank on her own class. She tapped her foot in a fast paced manner. It's not the first time he did this and she has called all the saints and gods just so he would stop what he's doing. She stared at that something being given to her. The boy grinned sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck. She tilted her head, crossed her arms then cleared her throat. "Kim Jongin?"

 

"Err, Yoona-"

 

"Noona." She corrected to which he pouted, his disappointment visible to everyone's eyes.

 

"Yoona noona, flowers for you? Your favorite, baby's breath." He said, chuckling awkwardly.

 

"Kai, what even-" She sighed heavily. "Stop it, Kai. Stop. Please? And don't do these things here. My ballet dancing lessons will start in thirty minutes. I have to prepare."

 

"I'll help you." He said.

 

"No." She said back distinctively. "Kai, please? If I take these flowers, will you go?"  She pouted, one of his weaknesses. He gave in finally, making her sigh in relief.

 


 

He drove like his life depended on it, heck he even exceeded the maximum speed allowed. But he doesn't care when it comes to Yoona. He'll do everything for her. As soon as he arrived to her dance studio, he ran like a mad man. There, he found her. Her body coiled up. She massaged her ankle gently as she muffled a soft sob, she bit her lower lip hardly. He opened the door then immediately went towards her, crouching down.

 

"Yoona, what happened?" He asked. She looked up but wasn't even surprised. She knows he'll come. He always comes.

 

"I just tripped, that's all. How did you know?" She asked though she has the idea of the answer already.

 

"You called Taeyeon noona and I happened to be her and Baekhyun hyung's third wheel that time. You must have known I was with them." He smirked. "Otherwise, you would have called either Yuri noona or Jaehyun hyung."

 

She bit her lower lips again. She's embarrassed, he thought.

 

"N-no, I didn't know. Yuri's with her fiance and Jaehyun oppa..." She trailed off, she didn't even try to call him at all. The boy chuckled bashfully. 

 

"Okay, I'll pretend you didn't know." He bit his lips to avoid a laugh. "Let me check it." He eyed her ankle carefully then pressed it gently, she squirmed. "Sprain."

"What?"

 

"Sprain, you twisted your ankle. Come here." And before she could even say something, he had already carried her.

 


 

It was a Sunday. It means she doesn't have an appointment or a class. But the moment she opened her eyes she rushed to her door. There was her favorite drink, green tea latte, and french waffle. There were also flowers, as usual. 

 

Have a good day, Yoona. Take care, my lady. The tiny note says. She giggled while bringing his so-called delivery inside her unit.

 

 

Sooyoung knocked Yoona's head to which the latter rubbed her head. Taeyeon giggled at the scene in front of her while sipping her drink.

 

"Sooyoung-ah, don't be too harsh on Yoona." Taeyeon said as the eldest in their circle. Sooyoung scoffed.

 

"What? Harsh? Harsh my . She clearly likes Kai yet she's giving him a hard time. Now who's harsher?" She retorted. She may have said it that way but Yoona wasn't a tad bit hurt by it. They talk like that anyway.

 

"Sooyoung is just jealous because the sunbae who she likes doesn't even take a glimpse of her." Yoona wittily attacked. The mentioned name was about to knock her head again when Yoona hid her head behind Taeyeon's small arm in defense.

 

"Now, now. Sooyoung, stop violence." Taeyeon said then turned to Yoona. "Yoong, I'm with Sooyoung on this one. Why won't you give him a chance? He's clearly a nice man. Baekhyun's close with him too and I can tell that he's a very decent man. Why? What's pulling you back?"

 

Yoona shrugged. What, really? She asked herself. She placed her elbows on the table then rested her chin on her hands.

 

"He's too young. I'd look like a e." Said Yoona. Now it was Taeyeon's time to hit her thin arm. Sooyoung smirked. I saw this one coming. She thought.

 

"Is this an indirect insult, Im Yoona? I'm dating a guy three years younger than me!" She said, still in disbelief that Yoona said that. The youngest one widened her eyes upon realizing her mistake.

 

"Oh my, I didn't mean it that way Taeng unnie!" She said, waving her hands vigorously. "What I wanted to say is that, Kai is too childish. I can't bear with that."

 

"You've been dealing with that behavior for three years now. Shouldn't you be used to it already?" Asked Sooyoung. She's known to be blunt but that's what Yoona liked about her. She gets to know if what she's doing is right or wrong, not in a sugarcoated way. She looked down. "Do us a favor Yoong. Especially Kai. If there isn't a chance, then don't keep him hanging. Make it clear to him."

 

Maybe I should.

 


 

She wasn't sure if he understood it, though. She thought he didn't because everytime she turns him down, he'll show up again tomorrow. She remembered what happened.

 

"This is the first time you asked for us to have dinner, Yoong. It's usually the other way around." Jongin said, eating his food. She chuckled nervously. He was right, This was her first time asking him out.

 

"I just felt like I have to return all the favor you've done for me, Jonginnie." She answered.

 

"What are you saying..." He chuckled. "I'll never get tired of showing you my feelings."

 

"Jongin-ah, stop. I've told you many times that I've lost count already. Please stop? There's no us. You're like my little brother." She said sadly.

 

"Then tell me how to stop."

 

"First, don't send me flowers and letters anymore. Don't send me good morning and good night messages. Stop sending me food. Stop caring for me. Look after yourself and your family. Look for a girl that would suit you." She said slowly, her voice trembling as her body started to shake. "I'm sorry I can't be the one for you. You deserve someone better."

 

"Who are you to say what I can and what I can't do?" Jongin said, his voice also trembling as he muffled his cries.

 

"If you love me then do it for me." She said before getting up then left the restaurant, thinking that tomorrow he'll still be the same guy.

 

But man was she wrong. After that day, there were no good morning messages anymore. She puffed her cheeks, thinking that maybe he's out to buy flowers for her again just like the old times. But when she reached her dance studio, there was no Kim Jongin outside her door holding baby's breath. This day will pass and he'll come back again tomorrow. That's what she thought. But there were also no green tea latte and french waffle with a tiny note and baby's breath on a Sunday morning. No good night messages, no surprises. Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months. There was no Kim Jongin anymore. Funny how she had to be happy because he finally listened to her but on the inside, her heart is shattering. She must get used to it. She must. 

 


 

"Are you still sane, Im Yoona?" Sooyoung asked her one night. It was their sleepover night and it was Yoona's turn to host it. All nine of them were there.

 

"Sooyoung unnie, be more gentle. Yoong unnie must have been going through a lot." Seohyun, the most decent of them all, said while hugging Yoona.

 

"A lot! That's right. She doesn't text us anymore. She ditches us everytime we plan something. That must be a lot. If it's not, I'm sending her to a psychiatrist." Hyoyeon said, Jessica immediately smacked her arm.

 

"Kim Hyoyeon!" Jessica yelled.

 

"Ah, what now? Don't tell me I'm wrong. Ask her what's wrong." The yelled dancer attacked. Tiffany squeezed Yoona's hand, telling her to be strong. She leaned closer to  Yoona's ears.

 

"Accompany me to the convenience store? I have to buy something." She said. Yoona didn't complain and they went out. Once Taeyeon was sure they were out of their earshot, she turned to everyone.

 

"You are all stupid, seriously. Especially you, Sooyoung." Taeyeon said. The tallest one shouted a big "Why me?" Taeyeon continued. "You, of all people, must know what she's going through right now."

 

"I'm trying to find out, unnie!"

 

"Even when I'm busy, I still know what's going on. Sooyoung, spare Yoona." Sunny finally spoke.

 

"So now it has become my fault?"

 

"Don't keep him hanging." Taeyeon quoted. "Ring a bell? We're supposed to support her, give each other strength. Let's help her. She needs us."

 

"I told her to make up her mind. That's all. Where is Kai anyway?" She said, pissed off.

"I was told he's in Japan with his mom." Yuri finally talked.

 

"Is it true that he's dating someone? Whatever, Yoona doesn't have to know." Sooyoung said.

 

"Know what?" Yoona asked. They all looked up to her nervously. She looked at them one by one to ask for an answer. Tiffany decided to  in.

 

"Sit down, Yoong." She motioned for Yoona to sit at the space provided for her and once the girl was settled, she also sat down. "We don't know if it's true yet. But we've heard Kai is dating someone. A Japanese, perhaps? Yoong, open up."

 

Just like that, she cried a lot that night, letting it all out.

 


 

It was on a Wednesday morning when it happened. She headed to a flower shop to buy some flowers for her home, it was a long time already since she last decorated her unit. She decided it'll be today. She picked baby's breath as usual. She roamed around the shop to look for some flowers that could attract her.

 

"Oh, good morning. Where's your baby's breath here?" 

 

She recognized that voice immediately. She whipped her head around to make sure then blinked a few times to see if she wasn't hallucinating. The owner of that voice turned around, their eyes met. It was like all their memories came back, making her imagine that the time stopped for a minute. He started walking towards her, a genuine smile evident on his perfectly sculpted face.

 

"Yoona..." He said. Oh how she missed hearing his voice, especially when what she's hearing is her name. Yet she doesn't know that he also missed saying her name. He chuckled upon seeing her open her mouth slowly, still unable to take it all. "I didn't know I'd meet you here. After a year. Wait, was that a year? It seemed like forever."

 

The lady cleared her thoughts, shaking her head then let out a soft chuckle.

 

"Jongin, I also didn't expect to see you here." She said. He looked at her hands holding baby's breath. He chuckled again, she didn't change at all. She looked at his hands too then saw her favorite flowers on his hands.

 

"Oh, as much as I want to catch up with you, I can't today." He apologetically said. "Someone's waiting for me." He smiled sincerely. She heard her heart shattering again but plastered a fake smile then nodded.

 

"Of course, I'm busy today. Let's just catch up with each other some other time." She smiled.

 

"I'm having a small gathering, you should come. Our friends will be coming. On Saturday." He said then bowed before heading towards the door. "Oh, I really hope you'd come. It was nice meeting you again."

 


 

"Don't be such a killjoy and just come with us! This girl..." Sooyoung snapped at Yoona. "Don't make yourself look like you're brokenhearted. You are our Him Yoona, you're stronger than any of us."

 

She smiled, if those words came from Sooyoung then she sees no problem.

 


 

She walked nervously towards Jongin's house with a box of cupcakes on her hands. She bit her lips for the nth time then took a deep breath before going inside his house.

 

"Yoona noona! You came." Sehun, her favorite dongsaeng, welcomed her while taking the box out of her hands.

 

"I said I would." She chuckled. He smiled then began to yell.

 

"Guys, guess who's here?"

 

Loud footsteps were heard from the kitchen towards the living room.

 

"Yoona, what a surprise."

 

"I knew you would come!"

 

"How have you been Yoong?"

 

And loads of questions were thrown into her. Yet her eyes roamed around the house, looking for the one she came for.

 

"He's upstairs with someone." Sehun whispered. Yet again, her heart shattered. So he has moved on and here she is, weeping. She thought. She left the house and told them she just passed by to drop her gift.

 


 

She coiled up on her bed, sobbing. She thinks it's her fault. If only she was a little bit more open minded at that time, if only she was more considerate and if only she told him she actually loves him, none of these would have happened. If only.... There are many if only and what ifs. But none of them will happen anymore.

 

A soft knock came to her wooden door. She checks her time then her eyebrows knitted together upon seeing the time, 1:28AM. She wiped her tears away and slowly went to her door. She peeked through the small hole and saw him. She widens her eyes and clutched her chest. He knocked again patiently. Then she opened the door hesitantly.

 

"Jongin--"

"Can I come in?"

 

She opened the door wide enough for him to enter. She closed it after she was sure she was already looking presentable enough.

 

"Why are you here? It's late." She asked nervously.

 

"You dropped by awhile ago but never even bothered saying a word to me."

 

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I had other things to do."

 

"Is that so?" He asked, clearly disappointed with what happened.

 

"I guess so?" She clutched the hem of her shirt tightly as she sat on her bed a few meters away from him.

 

"Really?"

 

"Alright, I didn't want to interrupt what you and your girlfriend were doing at that time."

 

"Wait what?"

 

"Sehun said you're upstairs with someone." She answered, afraid of where this conversation might be heading. He chuckled. She likes me. He thought.

 

"Yeah, my mom."

 

"Oh."

 

"And I don't have a girlfriend. Not yet after this."

 

"What does that mean?"

 

"I know you love me."

"What makes you think that?"

 

"Don't you?"

 

"I do--" And immediately gasped after realizing her mistake and sudden confession. Jongin chuckled.

 

"I still love you."

 

"Jongin--"

"No, I'm not going to pull back anymore. I love you and that's it. I went to Japan to clear my mind off. And all I could think of was you, always you." He said wile looking straight into her eyes. She teared up.

 

"I love you too, Jongin. And I thought I could live without you and your corny messages and actions, but I couldn't." She sobbed and he wrapped his arms around her small frame. "Stay here?"

 

"That sounds a good idea." He smiled and kissed her.