Three Important Things

Three Important Things

Being Choi Taek is never easy. It's either he's dead tired after each tournament or he's in front of his baduk board formulating strategies for his next game. While he's immersed in his world of black and white, he usually forgets to eat. He loves baduk so much that sometimes one would think that it's the most important thing in his life.

But baduk is not the most important thing in his life. It's just the third one on his list. Before it comes his affection and love for his dad and their new family. Having a mother again is just refreshing. Though she's not the best cook and she still hovers around him a lot, instead of being annoyed he is thankful for finally he can feel a mother's love again. Having a brother and sister is a new experience for him. It's just a plus factor that his brother is also one of his two very best friends, the one person he can tell everything that's happening to him. All in all he's loves having a bigger family.

Then comes the most important thing or person in his life. This one girl. The girl he's been in love with since he was just a little boy.  The girl who marked him (a scar) for life. The girl who takes him to school on her back when he was injured. The girl who's always taking care of him. The girl who brings a smile to his face with just the mere sight of her. The girl he would forever choose over a very important baduk game. The girl who can make him laugh with her crazy antics and ideas, and the girl who broke his heart to million pieces when he thought he lost her forever.

He still can't believe that after years of trying so hard to get over her, to forget her, to convince himself that it's okay with just being friends with her, she's now reciprocating his feelings. She loves him too as much as he loves her. That very day in China, he swore that nothing or nobody can take her away from him. That the two of them will make up for all the time they wasted by being apart.

He then realize that it's easier said than done. Being a 9-dan demands him to participate in hundreds of games in a year. It also doesn't help that she's a stewardess and her work would keep her away from home for several days. So even though he's dead tired after a tournament, if she's also at home from work, he makes it a point to call her out and spend some time with her by just walking around the neighborhood. They take advantage of every time no matter how short it is, and spend it with each other.

If she's at home and has a flight early in the morning, no matter how late he was able to sleep the night before, he'd wake up early just to bring her to the bus stop. Everytime she calls and informs him that her stopover coincides with his tournaments he becomes more aggressive in his game and ends it sooner than usual just to spend more quality time with her.

He loves going on movie dates with her because he can either just hold her hand or put his arms around her all throughout the movie and afterwards have dinner with her. She still fusses over him and he loves it everytime she does that. Now he doesn't need to ask her to do stuff for him, she just do it willingly.

He also finds that having her near him is just pure bliss. They don't need to talk about anything. She can just read her romance novel in his room while he plays baduk. He realize that by being in the same room as her will always give him renewed strength, he just needs to look up at her and everything will be okay again.

Being with her made him realize that though they were friends since the beginning of time, there are still a lot of things that they don't know about each other. This created a lot of conflicts with them. They fought a lot. He became aware of feelings he never knew existed. She makes him mad and lose control at times. He gets jealous with just seeing her talking with a handsome co-worker. But she would always calm him down and reassures him of her feelings for him. These conflicts and problems he realized made them discover more things about each other and it also makes their relationship stronger than ever. 

He also loves it when they just talk with each other. They talk about everything. The past, the present and most importantly the future. He tells her everything. He even teaches her baduk from time to time. She in return tells him everything too. She became his contact to the outside world. He knows that she makes him more human and he's very thankful for that.

The biggest obstacle they faced in their relationship were her parents. Since they are technically in-laws now, being in-laws for the second time is a big no in their country. But he knows that this will not put a stop to what he wants. He will do everything he can to overcome this.

He knows deep down that he will not have any problems with his father. His father knows that when he wants something, nothing can hinder him from getting it. When he finally told his family including Bora noona about his relationship with her sister, everyone already knew that it's bound to happen. Everyone agrees to help him with her parents.

He expects her parents to be hostile towards him. He went there not to ask permission to date their daughter but to ask their permission to marry her. They were speechless compared to his family. Her mom begins to worry. Her dad became silent. He's scared but he's also determined and they can see it in his eyes. They told him that he's a public figure and he might ruin his image if he marries their daughter. He then told them that he doesn't care about his image as long as he has her. He said he had loved her ever since they were little kids and will never love anyone else. He promises that he will give her everything and most importantly his loyalty and undying love. Her parents asked him for more time to think about it.

When they finally gave him their consent to marry their daughter he felt that he won the most important match of his life.Three months later, he married her.

Marrying her made him the happiest man alive. Finally, finally she became his. His wife, his partner, his better half, his perfect match. He doesn't need to hide anything anymore. He can hold her hand, hug her and kiss her wherever and whenever he wants.

Looking back he thanked the three important things in his life. Baduk for making him a person who knows when to be aggressive and when to hold back and formulate his next move. To his father and their family who gave him love and support. And finally to her, Song Deoksun, the love of his life, the future mother of his children, the one person that completes him.