Ch. 04

Animal Shelter

 

    Jinyoung couldn't wait to meet Mark. The entire weekend he thought about the vet and wondered what will it be like to spend his time with him and with the dogs. Will it be like in those sappy romantic movies, where the sun is shining, the main characters are sitting on a blanket, spread on a green grass, having a picnic while dogs are happily playing around them? He couldn't throw away the thought about Mark, his charming smile and his deep voice which send a shiver down his spine every time the elder spoke. It's not like he was in love with him; he still felt a bit hurt over a breakup with Sooyoung, but Mark was something new and different, he gave him a breath of a fresh air in that gray reality they're living in. He was intrigued by the young vet more and more. Every time he looks at Dubu, he remembers how Mark was hugging the dog and scratched his fur lovingly when Jinyoung first saw him in an animal shelter. He could be obsessed with him by now. 

    It was on Tuesday afternoon, when Jinyoung was leaving the bookstore where he worked at, finishing his shift. He bowed to his coworkers and sighed tiredly, when he was already outside. The weather was nice, the sun began to set, but it was still warm. Jinyoung remembered that he can't go home just now, he has to buy a food for Dubu on the way. The dog seemed to have a bigger appetite lately and it was a very good sign. Dubu was now comfortable with Jinyoung and he seemed to like him a lot, judging by his protectiveness and wagging his tail every time Jinyoung talks to him or just gets home. Jinyoung, happy that his dog is eating well, can't resist those brown sad eyes every time he eats something. Even though Dubu had a full belly after eating his dog food, the dog always put a paw on Jinyoung's knee asking for a piece of food which he was currently eating. He knows that Dubu shouldn't eat too much, but the way the dog looks at him makes his heart weak. 

    After shopping, Jinyoung was passing a coffee shop, casually looking through a large glass window, when he nearly passed out from what he just saw. He couldn't believe his eyes. His heart started to pound frantically, causing him a pain with every beat, looking at the person sitting on a chair in the coffee in the company of a beautiful girl. On the other side of the large glass window of coffee shop he saw Mark sitting across some girl smiling and laughing. It seemed like a date to Jinyoung. He couldn't tear his eyes from the pair, watching as Mark touching the girl's hands on the table affectionately with a gentle smile on his face. Jinyoung swallowed hard seeing the vet raising his hands and touching her cheeks softly, leaning his face into hers. Jinyiung turned around from the scene abruptly, feeling like he's intruding, even though there were a lot of people in the coffee shop and on the street. He started to walk in the direction of his home, his long legs making a large and fast steps, as his heart was thumping aggressively against his chest, making him breathless. He should've known it was a bad idea, he shouldn't think of Mark too much. Why a thought, that Mark may be taken never flashed through his head? It's obvious that he has a girlfriend! Such a great guy, handsome, funny and caring. Why Jinyoung allowed himself to think that Mark might be into boys? He wasn't gay. Jinyoung wasn't either... at least he was sure of it before he met Mark. Now, he's not sure anymore. 

    "Jinyoung!" Jinyoung was shocked when he heard a familiar deep voice calling after him from an over a dozen of meters, but the embarrassment didn't allow him to turn around. Mark probably saw Jinyoung watching him like a creep through the glass window at some point. Jinyoung felt his cheeks burn at the thought of it. He was disappointed and disheartened at himself about the whole situation. He felt stupid. 

    He pretended not to hear the calling and turned hurriedly into the nearest alley, hiding in the crowd of people on the street.

 


    "Yah, I thought I'm your best friend!" Jackson cried through the phone, making Jinyoung squint at the volume of his voice and moving the phone away from his ear. It was Thursday and Jinyoung was at work, having a short break, because there was no one in the bookstore currently. Jackson never called him at that time of a day (at least something big happened), because he knew his friend is at work and he's busy. Jinyoung got worried, so he picked up his call.

    "What are you talking about?  You are my best friend, obviously" Jinyoung answered with furrowed brows and confusion evident in his voice. What was he talking about?

    "Why didn't you tell me that you'll have a date with Mark tomorrow?" Jackson asked reproachfully, making Jinyoung's heart drop. He sighed as the images of Mark being affectionate with his girlfriend at the coffee shop flashed before his eyes. 


    "It's not a date. Our dogs have a reunion, that's all." Jinyoung answered,  leaning on the bookshelf, defeated. "How do you know about it, anyway?"

    "Jaebum told me" Jackson's volume of voice was lowered now, but the sulkiness was still evident. "Dogs having a reunion? Please, Jinyoung, this is a lame excuse. You can tell me everything!"

    "This is not a date, Jackson, I told you. And cut it out already, I'm at work, remember?" Jinyoung was tired of this conversation, he was having a hard time trying to suppress the feelings he had for the vet by the time they meet and Jackson was making it harder for him. 

    "I know you're at work, but I just had to call because I was shocked that you swing that way!" His friend seemed to be excited about the matter, but it angered Jinyoung even more, because his friend could be right. 

    "I'm not." He said, trying to sound confident, but it came out more like he was convincing himself. His friend wasn't convinced, anyways.

    "Are you sure you don't? Because I saw you two last time and you were talking and laughing like you were alone in the club. You were obviously flirting with each other! I'm not going to say about how embarrassed you two were when-"

    "I'm hanging up" Jinyoung cut his friend in the middle of his monologue, refusing to hear anything more. Jinyoung seemed to find a common language with Mark, their conversation flew incredibly good, but Jinyoung is now convinced that he shouldn't think about Mark the way he does now. He shouldn't be attracted to him the way he was.

    "Okay, okay, but tell me everything later, okay?" Jackson asked, before Jinyoung sighed tiredly.

    "Bye"

 

    
     It was a cloudy day on Friday. When Jinyoung returned home from work, he was greeted at the door by excited squeals of Dubu. The dog was jumping on him happily, trying to his face as Jinyoung was taking off his shoes. He crouched down after a moment and hugged his dog, his soft, long fur affectionately, when he saw a poop on the carpet in the living room. Great, he sighed. He had an half an hour till the meeting with Mark. He din't want to be late, so he cleaned the poop without much whining and poured Dubu's bowl with dog food. As the dog was absorbing the food greedily, Jinyoung looked out of the window with worried face expression. The clouds got darker by every minute and he was certain that he will have to bring his umbrella with him when he'll go out to meet Mark and his dog. In Jinyoung's mind annoying thoughts strarted to gather and he got worried even more. What if Mark won't be there? Would he come to the park in such a bad weather? They didn't exchange their phone numbers and even if something happened that one of them couldn't make it, they couldn't even inform each other and cancel the meeting. Jinyoung lived close to the dog park, the distance was only about 5 minutes by walk. He could always come home if the vet won't show up - no big deal... After looking at the watch, he buckled the collar around dog's neck, grabbed an umbrella and walked out of the house, closing the door.

    When Jinyoung walked out of the apartment complex, instantaneously the rain started to fall. 

    The rain was heavy and loud when he was approaching the park. Jinyoung walked with an umbrella and his eyes were lowered, looking at his feet, trying to avoid the puddles. He was so immersed in his steps, that he almost missed Mark, standing under a small roof of some grocery store.   When Jinyoung noticed him, he immediately approached the elder despite his guts tightening nervously. Dubu followed him obediently, not being aware of the person waiting for them. Mark spotted and smiled instantly showing his white, canine teeth as his eyes formed a small crescents. The vet was wet from head to toe and a white small white dog in his arms was trembling slightly.

    "Hey!" Mark greeted them cheerfully, despite the bad weather, as Dubu realized whose voice it was and immediately throw himself at his legs making a nasty stains of the mud on his jeans. Jinyiung gasped, trying to pull him off him, but Mark just crouched down on his knees, laughing and petting Dubu's wet fur. "It's okay, it's okay! Dubu! Look, it's Coco!" He raised a small dog with his hands in Dubu's direction, letting him sniff it. Coco was a bit nervous, but she wagged his tail nevertheless, showing how happy she was to meet her old friend. Jinyiung watched the scene with a warm smile on his face, standing at the side, trying to compose himself and his fast heartbeat.

     "The weather is so unpredictable" Mark said lightheartedly, as he stood up with Coco still in his arms. The puddles were so large and deep, that if he put her on the pavement, the small dog could almost swim in them. 

    "You didn't bring an umbrella?" Jinyoung asked, wanting to hit himself at his dumb question after a second because he obviously didn't bring it with him judging by his wet clothes. He probably was wearing a hood on his head because only his bangs was wet.

    "I didn't… when I left the house, it wasn't raining yet" The elder laughed and Jinyoung blushed, because he looked gorgeous. From strands of his bangs raindrops were falling, his cheeks were slightly flushed from the cold and his skin looked fresh and soft. Jinyoung's heart skipped a beat when Mark's  eyes meet his for a second, before he looked at Coco, wiping her eyes. Jinyoung couldn't take his eyes off the vet and it was annoying him to no end. Mark is in a relationship that's why Jinyoung should compose himself and stop having a weird feelings towards him. Although he knew about it all, he still wanted to spend time with Mark, so he had an idea.

    "It's still raining so maybe we'll go to my place and dry?" Jinyiung asked hesitantly, making Mark smile widely. He nodded.
 
    Jinyoung opened his umbrella and started walking, when he noticed that Mark was still standing under a roof with an uneasy look on his face. The younger smiled and grabbed a wet sleeve of Mark's hoodie and pulled him under his umbrella gently. He shivered when he felt the elder presence so close to him.

    "It's not far and I have only one umbrella, so you have to endure a bit till we get there" Jinyoung tried to sound casual, but he was worried that Mark could hear or even feel his frantic heartbeat. 

    "That's totally okay with me" Mark said with his eyes fixed on the pavement "I mean, I won't get more wet," he laughed, but the look on his face was very confusing to Jinyoung, the elder looked a bit abashed. Was it because he was too close to another man? Maybe he was worried what would the passing people think? Or was he afraid that his girlfriend will see him? Jinyoung smiled bitterly to himself, because he was obviously overthinking everything. He remembered that he should stop the weird feeling in his heart somehow.


    When they arrived at Jinyoung's apartment, the rain was still pouring. Jinyoung's sides were wet, because his umbrella was pretty small, so it wasn't any of a help for the two of them to hide from the rain. The younger tried to ignore the elder's presence all the way, their shoulders pressed against each other made him feel every movement of the elder's muscles. They were the same height so when Jinyiung tried to steal a glance at Mark he almost forgot how to breathe, because the closeness of their faces was no joke for Jinyoung. When they took off their shoes, Jinyoung told Mark to make himself comfortable, as he ran to the room to bring towels and dry clothes for Mark. 

    "I don't know if they will be perfectly fitted..." Jinyoung said as he handed him a shirt and pants along with a fluffy towel.

    "At least they're dry" Mark laughed and went to the restroom a second later to change his clothes. Jinyoung stood in the hallway awkwardly touching the nape of his neck. He was happy that Mark was waiting for him despite the terrible weather, he was happy that he can meet him... But at the same time he was angry at himself for having a baseless hope about the vet. He wasn't sure what he wanted from him, but the thought of Mark being in a relationship with a girl was making him sad. The dogs were already playing and barking playfully, running around the apartment, when the younger remembered that they're still wet. He called them and started to dry them off when Mark came out the restroom in Jinyoung's clothes. 

    "Thanks, I feel a lot better" The elder said, taking a towel from Jinyoung's hands to help him dry the dog's fur, brushing Jinyoung's fingers with his hand in the process. Jinyoung felt the burning sensation of touch of his skin and he cleared his throat nervously. 

    "No problem… Do you want something to drink?"

    "Um.. I have enough water for today, so maybe coffee?" Mark answered, while in the room the sound of the phone ringing was heard. Mark pulled his phone from pants pocket swiftly, looking at the screen nervously and rejected the call. 
Jinyiung watched his expression intrigued, nodding and walking off to the kitchen. He tried to not think about it too much, but another annoying questions were whirling around his mind.

    When he was preparing coffee, his eyes didn't leave Mark, who was playing with the dogs and his heart ached every time the elder looked at him with a smile on his face. His laugh was giving him pain too. Mark was handsome, funny and they had a lot to talk about with each other. He sighed at his helpless situation. As much as it hurts, Jinyoung decided to accept his reality. Mark has a girlfriend, but it was too late for Jinyoung to do anything about his feelings. He likes him. A lot.

 

    "To be honest..." Mark started while he was sipping on his coffee and watching the dogs playing with a rubber toy in the shape of a bone. They both were sitting on the carpet in the living room, leaning against a sofa - it was easier to play with the dogs that way. But the dogs seemed to like each other better playing in the corner of the room, their owners long forgotten. "I was wondering if you'll come" Mark continued, as his eyes drifted everywhere but Jinyoung. The younger looked at him bewildered.

    "Why?" He asked, turning his head in the direction of the elder. He had exactly the same thoughts about him.

    "I don't know, the weather was bad and... the last time…" Mark's voice was quiet and he started to play with his fingers nervously, after he put down a cup on the coffee table.  

    "Last time?" Jinyoung was confused. What was he referring to?

    "Yeah, I saw you a few days ago and called after you, but you seemed to ignore me... or you didn't hear?" Jinyoung froze, hearing Mark's answer and his palms started to sweat. So it was about it. He knew he couldn't make a fool of himself, he had to lie.

    "B-But I don't remember, are you sure it was me?" Jinyoung cursed to himself for stuttering, but he didn't want to admit that his heart ached seeing him with his girlfriend. He couldn't tell him that he was jealous.

    "I was pretty sure it was you looking through the glass. When I noticed it, you were already gone." Mark said, looking at Jinyoung with piercing eyes. Jinyoung felt a blush creeping on his features and he decided to break the eye contact, because he couldn't handle the embarrassment.

    "I don't remember, really" He said stubbornly, throwing a small ball in the direction of the dogs, who immediatelly fought over it. Dubu was bigger than Coco, so he caught the ball first before running away, while Coco ran after him barking shrilly.


    "Really? That's okay, I guess" Mark's voice was unconvinced what made Jinyoung even more embarrassed. "Maybe we could exchange our phone numbers?" he suddenly asked, as Jinyoung tried to still calm himself down. He was glad the subject was dropped. Jinyoung nodded, while Mark pulled out his phone from the jeans' pocket and the younger looked at screen of it accidentally. He saw a notification of 4 unanswered calls. It turned out that Mark had to turn his phone on silent mode. Jinyiung felt weird. It was probably his girlfriend, he thought, trying to muffle his mind while he was giving his phone number to Mark. 

 

     Jinyoung felt Mark eyes on him every time he interacted with the dogs. When he was Dubu's fluffy ears or took Coco in his arms Mark was watching him with a fond smile on his face. Jinyoung was aware of it and it made him flustered and shy because how can he look at him like that? Jinyoung hated how one Mark's smile in his direction, could make of him a weak mess. 

    "So you didn't lie, saying that you like Dubu" Mark suddenly said, petting Dubu's head who was currently snuggled up on Jinyoung's laps. The dogs were having a nap, they were tired from playing already. 

    "Of course I didn't. I've never had a dog and it was overwhelming me at first, but we get used to each other" Jinyoung said, trying to ignore how close Mark was sitting at that moment. Mark has Coco on his laps and his shoulder was pressed against Jinyoung's and their legs were also touching.

    "I'm glad. I was disappointed when I find out your motives of why did you wanted a dog… but deep down I knew you're a good person" The vet said, while Jinyoung  was speechless. Maybe he was just too in love with him and he was misunderstanding his every word and every movement... but he was tired from the butterflies flying in his stomach for the past few hours.

    "H-How do you know?" Jinyoung stuttered, looking at Dubu on his laps, ignoring Mark's piercing gaze and sensation of their skin touching. Mark wasn't expecting such a question from him, judging by his adorable gesture; he scratched the back of his neck, thinking about an answer.

    "I don't know. The look in your eyes seems genuine… and your smile is nice. .." he said, as Jinyoung eyes widened. Mark noticed it and panicked, continuing "I mean… you seem like a good guy!"

    "Um, thanks" Jinyoung's voice was barely a whisper, Jinyoung wanted to say that his smile is what his life is now ed up because he may be in love with him, but he couldn't. He knew that the elder has a girlfriend so he decided not to make a fool of himself and just drop the subject. Mark blushed unexpectedly when he heard Jinyoung's weak voice and instantly cleared his throat awkwardly. 

    "Um, yeah, you're welcome" 
 
    The awkward silence broke the whimpering of Coco on Mark's lap, wanting to come onto Jinyoung's. He was thankful to her, because the silence was killing him. He liked Coco, she was cute and small and she reminded him of her owner. He wanted to laugh at the similarities.

 

    After the awkward silence the rest of the evening went smoothly. Mark and Jinyiung were having a great time with each other. The younger noticed that Mark has a similar sense of humor as him. They were talking about a lot of stuff and they didn't notice as the watch showed 9 pm. The rain stopped and it was already dark outside, as Mark started to fidget on the sofa. They were watching some movie on the TV, having their dogs snuggled up together on the carpet just beside their legs, as the vet stood up hesitantly. 

    "I guess I'll go now. It's late. I don't want to bother you"

    "You don't bother me at all" Jinyoung said and he hoped that Mark can stay a bit longer. Mark smiled, but he walked to the door anyway. When looked at his phone screen with an unreadable expression, Jinyoung returned to the reality. He felt disappointed and sad, when Mark was putting on his shoes, ignoring Jinyoung's answer. He knew it would be better for him to just leave and let Jinyoung breathe. He should forget about him.

    "Jinyoung... Can we meet again?" Mark asked suddenly with a quiet voice.  His eyes were sparkling with hope and Jinyoung was wondering if he saw it right or Mark was just sleepy. Jinyoung was happy that he wanted to meet him again. But he knew it wouldn't be a good idea to meet Mark like this. He liked him too much to be his friend.

    "I don't know… Aren't you busy in the shelter... and stuff?" Jinyoung wanted to bring up his girlfriend, but he held himself down. He didn't really wanted to talk about her anyway.

    "Actually, I am a bit busy, but I'll always find the time for you… and Dubu" Mark laughed slightly, before looking at his feet and touching the back of his neck. Jinyoung couldn't believe what he just heard. His heart was racing and he tried so hard to not get his hopes up. He had to remind himself about him being in a relationship every minute. It was a joke? The younger was greatly confused. Mark a bit too much today. 

    "You're funny" The younger tried to laugh it off, but he felt a shiver down his spine when he noticed Mark's serious face expression. He stood by the doors when Coco looked at him from across the room and ran towards him jumping at his legs, wanting to be picked up. Mark ignored her and looked at Jinyoung uneasily.

    "I had fun today…" Mark whispered, looking into Jinyoung's eyes fondly. He made a step towards him slowly. 

    "Me too" Jinyoung mumbled, turning his eyes down looking at his feet, as he felt Mark's scent.   

    "Um, about the meeting-"

    "I don't know if I'll have a time you know" Jinyoung blurted out, cutting Mark's sentence."But you can always call me or something..." He didn't look at Mark anymore, he was trying to deny his feelings for the elder and he decided that it will be better for him to not meet each other in the near future. At least until Jinyoung will suppress those feelings for Mark.

    "Oh? Um…" Mark seemed crestfallen for a moment and Jinyoung gulped at the sight. The vet bent down, picked Coco on his arms and smiled awkwardly. "Okay then.. I'll go. Bye"

    When the doors closed after him, Jinyoung groaned. Why he must be so nice to him?! He had enough of it because he was falling more and more in love with him. A month ago, he was a straight male with a girlfriend and now? He has a dog, he's not that straight and he fell in love with a straight guy, who's taken. This is just great. Dubu stood beside him looking at the doors. Jinyoung crouched in front of him and patted his head.

    "Dubu, we can't meet him anymore. I know you like him and Coco... but… it's for the better." Dubu dog watched him with ears up, head slightly cocked. "You don't understand anything, do you?" Jinyoung asked, as the dog ran to the living room and came back with a toy in his mouth. Jinyoung sighed.

 

 


 

Hello~ Another chapter arrived!

Thank you very much for your subscriptions and votes, you're making me so happy!
I can't believe you like this story ;)

I will post another chapter a little earlier than usual, because I almost wrote it, so yeah~
This story is slowly coming to an end, guys!