Chapter 6

Remember Me?

~ Joshua's POV ~

   "Hyung?" I knock on the guest bedroom door. "Are you still there?" Jeonghan stays silent. I open the door to the bedroom. Jeonghan stays curled up on the bed. "Come on, hyung. Can you please come out of this room?" I notice a cherry blossom next to the pillow. It's already started withering. "Look, we said we could keep you hiding here a secret but PD-nim is getting worried and upset. I don't know if we can keep this up any longer. Come on, hyung. Please?" He stays silent and his silence starts to worry me. "Hyung, please. We're all begging you. We're all worried..." Jeonghan still doesn't respond. "Hyung?" A breeze blows on the curtains, shining a little morning sunlight light on his face. His eyes are closed and his skin is paler than normal. I shake him to see if he's sleeping. "Hyung?" He's cold and he looks thinner. I shake him again and still no response. No. You can't leave us, Jeonghan. I'm not giving up on you! I run out of the room and into the dining room where the others are eating. 

   "What's wrong, Josh?" Seungcheol asks worried. 

   "Somethings wrong with Jeonghan! He's not responding to anything I say!" Seungcheol rushes to the guest bedroom to check on Jeonghan. I start freaking out. I breathe heavily and I start to feel a panic attack starting.

   Vernon rushes to my side, "Woah, woah, woah. Calm down, Josh, you don't want to have an anxiety attack. Okay now, breathe, breathe, breathe." I pace myself. "Good, good. Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale." I nod to tell him okay.

   "I'll call an ambulance. Jihoon, you cal PD-nim." Jihoon nods and dials PD-nim. "The rest of you, stay calm and maybe some of you can help Seungcheol hopefully wake up Jeonghan."

~ Reader's POV ~

   The sound of sirens can be heard outside. Jeonghan lays down on a stretcher wearing and oxygen mask, his eyes still closed. The nurses rush him into the ambulance and it speeds back to the hospital. "Aish, I hope he's okay." S.Coups says while he ruffles his hair. 

   "Well, let's go to the hospital to check on him." Youngmin says. The boys follow him and they get on the bus. The ride to the hospital is silent. The only thing heard are the sounds of sniffles and quiet sobs. 

   The boys and Youngmin arrive at the hospital. They check themselves in then a nurse comes to talk to Youngmin. "Please wait here sir, while Jeonghan gets settled in." The boys and Youngmin all sit outside waiting in suspense to see Jeonghan. The nurse walks out of Jeonghan's room and asks Youngmin, "What's your name, sir?"

   "Kim Young Min," Youngmin answers. 

   "Are you his father?"

   "No, ma'am,"

   "Guardian?" 

   "Yes."

   "What is your relationship with Jeonghan?"

   "I'm his manager."

   The nurse writes down Youngmin's information on her clipboard. "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you a few more questions. Will you please follow me to the front desk? And these boys are?"

   "Oh, they're friends of Jeonghan."

   "Yes, well I'm afraid only family are allowed to visit Jeonghan right now. But you can wait until you're allowed to visit."

   All 13 boys bow in unison. "감사합니다." The nurse nods and walks to the front desk with Youngmin.

    The boys wait a few minutes then they hear someone calling Jeonghan's name. Jeonghan's parents and little sister rush to Jeonghan's room with a doctor guiding them to where it is. They received the call that Jeonghan is in the hospital and they arrived as fast as they could. Mrs. Yoon is crying and calling our her son's name while Mr. Yoon and Jeonghan's little sister try to calm her down. When the doctor opens the door, the family sees Jeonghan in the bed. Jeonghan's little sister starts to cry. "O...o...oppa?"

*******

   "You may come in now, boys," PD-nim says as he opens the door. The boys are all nervous and scared to enter Jeonghan's room. When S.Coups enters the room he sees that his family has left him presents. Jeonghan's little sister left him a teddy bear with 'Get Well Soon!' sewn on the stomach with red thread and his parents left him balloons and branches with little pink flowers growing on it. Cherry blossoms. S.Coups listens to the beeps of the ECG**. It makes him feel safe to know that Jeonghan's heart is still beating. PD-nim breaks the silence, "The doctors said he's in a coma."

   "A coma?" S.Coups asks, "For how long?"

   "They said they don't know but at the least for about a few days."

   "Oh..." The boys are silent again.

   "They said the cause was most likely depression."

   Mingyu starts to feel guilty. It's probably because of Alayna. He stares out the window, thinking about the last time he saw Jeonghan happy. The others think about the same thing, wondering if they'll ever see Jeonghan's friendly, sparkling smile ever again. Joshua remembers when they were filming for Seventeen Project. On the last day for filming, they received their rings back but in a more unique way than they thought. Their families came and gave their rings back to their sons. Joshua remembers everyone crying. But he's never seen Jeonghan so happy that he'd cry. Joshua starts to cry again. "It's okay, hyung," Dino comforts Joshua.

*******

   A week has passed and Jeonghan still hasn't waken up from his coma. The fans leave him cards and presents at the hospital and the international fans send in fan mail. The members haven't been the same since Jeonghan went to the hospital. They act as if all the happiness and color has been drained from the world. The group takes a hiatus until Jeonghan is fully recovered. They haven't been able to sleep well and they don't talk much. Dino gets tired of all the depression the others are going through so he tries to cheer them up. "C'mon guys, Jeonghan would want us to be happy. He'd tell us everything is okay and he's going to get better. He wouldn't want us to be moping around, not talking. And especially not smiling. Let's cheer up!" Dino punches his fist in the air. "For Jeonghan!"

   Woozi sees his point. He's so surprised at how bright and cheery maknae Dino can be in a time like this. He smirks then does the same. "For Jeonghan."

   A few more of the others join in. "For Jeonghan!" They do their ritual they usually do before performances. They stand in a circle, holding each other's thumbs. "Okay, ready, on three." S.Coups counts. "One, two, three!"

"For Jeonghan!" They shout.

Alayna's POV

   Lee Chan texted me a few days ago telling me that Jeonghan's hospitalized. The doctors said that he's in a coma but they don't know when he's going to wake up. I feel really bad for Jeonghan. He seems like such a happy person how could he get in a coma because of depression. 
   Seungcheol and Lee Chan take me to see Jeonghan. On the car ride there I start crying. Lee Chan gives me a talk telling me that Jeonghan wouldn't want someone as pretty as me crying, he'd rather see me smiling. I start to cheer up and I try not to cry but his kindness and care towards Jeonghan and sweetness towards me makes me tear up a little. 
   Seungcheol and Lee Chan give me a little alone time with Jeonghan when they walk me to his room. "Jeonghan?" He's pale but he's peacefully sleeping. "I know you can't hear me but I feel like it's my fault that you're here. What happened to you? What did I do wrong?" I sit for a few minutes with him, hoping that he'll wake up. "Please, Jeonghan. I feel like I didn't try hard enough to cheer you up." I sit and just listen to the ECG. "Please, talk to me when you wake up. Okay?" I grab his hand and I give him a pinky promise. "Let's seal it." Then I push our thumbs together and I start to cry a little. His hands are still cold. 

   Seungcheol knocks on the door. "Alayna? It's time to go." I wipe a tear off my cheek and nod. I lay the flowers I brought for him next to a teddy bear and walk out with Seungcheol. 

   "Did he wake up?" Seungcheol asks while we get into the taxi.

   "No," I say disappointed. 

   Seungcheol sighs. "I wonder when he will. I was hoping maybe if you came he would."

   "Why would you think that?"

   "Well, because, you see the reason why he's depressed is because--" 

   Lee Chan kicks Seungcheol's chair. "Don't tell her!" He whispers.

   I'm curious to what Seungcheol was trying to say. "What? Don't tell me what?"

   "Nothing. It's nothing!" Lee Chan tries to cover up. 

   "It's obviously not 'nothing', Lee Chan. What are you guys hiding from me?"

   Seungcheol looks at Lee Chan. "What? Hoshi hyung said not to tell her."

   "Hoshi? He knows too? What are you guys not telling me?"

   "Nothing! I promise it's nothing to be worried about!"

   "Nothing to be worried about? This is about Jeonghan being depressed. Why shouldn't I worry about that?"

   "Uh...I don't know..."

   "C'mon, Lee Chan. You can tell me anything. What happened to Jeonghan?"

   Lee Chan looks to Seungcheol. "Hey! It's not my problem anymore. You made the scene."

   Lee Chan sighs. "I'm sorry, Hoshi hyung," Lee Chan mutters. "The reason why Jeonghan is depressed, is because of...you."

   My eyes start to swell up with tears. "...Me?..."

~ Dino's POV ~

   What have I done! I made her cry! Noona! Stop it! You're making me feel bad...I should have just let Seungcheol tell her. Well, Hoshi did say he wanted her to find out later. It's later now. 

   "Why didn't you guys tell me?" Alayna asks.

   "Well, because of exactly this." I answer.

   "If it's my fault..."

   "It's not your fault! See this is exactly what Hoshi said you'd say!" I start to feel bad. I almost want to cry. 

   "Well if he's depressed because of me then how is it not my fault?"

   "Um...because...it's not because of you. It's because of you and Mingyu hyung..."

   "Mingyu too? Why because of me and Mingyu?"

   "Well, that day when Mingyu ran off...we were all questioning him about where he went. We kind of pressured him a little too much and he broke and told us everything. Jeonghan over heard that Mingyu kissed you and he stormed out of practice..."

   "Are you saying that...Jeonghan...liked me?"

   "Yeah, I guess, but he still likes you. He stayed in the guest room, staying away from us. He never came out."

   "Did I really make him feel that bad?"

   "No...it's just...I don't know..." I feel bad for telling Alayna the truth. She did deserve to know though. At least it's off our chests. She's really sensitive and I hope this doesn't affect her that much. Or at least for a long time like it affected Jeonghan. Look how far that went. Sometimes not knowing the truth is safer.

*******

   A few weeks have passed and Jeonghan still hasn't waken up. I'm starting to get worried that he won't ever wake up. I miss hyung so much. We all do. We hope he wakes up soon. I'm glad that Alayna's been doing fine. She doesn't hate or blame herself that Jeonghan is hospitalized. I'm so relieved that she's not taking it as hard as we thought she would. She seems kind of lonely though. There's no one else that at her apartment with her. The last time someone was with her was when Mingyu came over. Maybe I should invite her over today. I call Alayna, "여보세요? Alayna! It's Lee Chan!"
   "Hey, Lee Chan. What are you up to today?"
   "Nothing much. Are you doing anything?"
   "No. Today's kind of just a lazy day."
   "Then since you're not doing anything, do you wanna come over? Maybe later we can visit Jeonghan!"
   "Sure! I'll come over. What's the address?"
   "No need for an address! I'll pick you up!"
   "Oh, okay then. See you soon!" 
   "See you soon, Noona!"
   I open the door to the dorm and everyone turns to me and Alayna. They all stop and stare at her. "Uh...hi...my name's Alayna. Nice to um...meet you all!" Alayna starts to blush of embarrassment. 
   DK whispers to Seungkwan while Seungkwan stares at Alayna, "Isn't Alayna the name of that girl that Jeonghan likes?" Seungkwan nods. 
   Vernon pops out of the dining room. "Alayna?" He asks. "Mingyu! You're girlfriend is here?"
   Mingyu walks out of the living room holding an XBOX controller. "Hey pause the game for me, will you Wonwoo?" His eyes lock with Alayna's. "Alayna?" He smirks. "What are you doing here?" Mingyu starts walking towards Alayna until Vernon stands in the middle of them.
   "Ah, ah, ah. No PDA," Vernon steps out of his way then next to me, "while this little guy is here." 
   He ruffles my hair but I push his hand off my head. "Hey, now that we're all here, why don't we go somewhere?" I ask.
   "Sure! I'll go," Alayna says, smiling at me.
   "I'll go too!" Joshua, Seungkwan, Hoshi, and Mingyu say almost immediately. 
   "I see why you guys are going," Vernon says to purposely make the others embarrassed. "I'll go too, Lee Chan."
   "Anyone else wanna come?" I ask again.
   "We'll all go." Seungcheol says. 
   We go to a nearby mall to eat then browse around the shops. The hyungs are so weird around Alayna. Well, some of them are. They fought at the restaurant about who would sit across and next to her. But she chose to sit next to me and across from Seungcheol hyung just to stop them fighting. I know she feels awkward around them because she knows they like her. She became good friends with Jihoon hyung. They were talking the whole time and the others became very envious that Jihoon is so close to her now.

~ Alayna's POV ~

   We visit Jeonghan at the hospital after two hours at the mall. The boys give me some alone time with Jeonghan. I bring him a little teddy bear I bought at the mall to match the larger one he already has. "Hey, Jeonghan, I brought you a gift." The only response is the sound of the ECG beeping. "So...uh...how've you been? I like hanging out with your friends. They're pretty cool, funny at times, but idiots all the time. They miss you. They need you. They really want you to wake up soon." I sniffle and a few tears fall on Jeonghan's hand. "I...miss you." Jeonghan moans. He opens his eyes just slightly. He looks around and looks at his hands confused. Then he looks at me. My eyes flood with tears. "J-Jeonghan...? Are you really awake?"
   "Who's Jeonghan?"

*******

**An ECG is the thingy at the hospital that beeps when the patient's heart is beating.**