Comfort_final

Finding Comfort

Taekwoon has always been the type of person to overthink things.  It wasn't a bad trait; it wasn't a good one either.  He works hard and music comes easy to him, but when it doesn't his mind shifts into overdrive.  "What's wrong with this song?  What can make this lyric better?  Why can't I hit this note?  What's wrong with me?"  His thoughts wash over him quickly, however, the tide is always strong enough to pull him into the ocean that is his mind.  

He was on his way back to the dorm after a long day of work, no, a long day of trying to work.  Once again he felt as if he was on a treadmill trying to get out of his own head.  He runs and runs, but he gets no where.  He opens the door to the apartment that is shared with five other boys expecting them to  already be fast asleep, but instead he sees a light in the kitchen.  

Hakyeon knows that Taekwoon struggles internally.  He wasn't depressed, he was a very happy person actually, he just gets trapped inside of himself.  It's been more noticeable lately, at least to Hakyeon, that the younger was overworking himself.  Hakyeon saw the days when the sparkle in his eye was absent, when he would smile but only to return to this face of worry, when he didn't speak, not because he didn't have anything to say but because he didn't know how to translate his thoughts into words.  Hakyeon knew he needed something; he just didn't know what.

Taekwoon walks over to the kitchen where the light was emulating from and sees his elder, who should be asleep considering the late hour, drinking a cup of tea and staring out the window.  

"Hello", Taekwoon says in a hushed tone as to not wake those in slumber.  

Hakyeon was slightly startled as he did not hear the younger come in, but quickly regained his composure and gave Taekwoon a small smile as a reply.

"Why are you still awake" Taekwoon queried as he made his way over to his dorm mate.

"I couldn't sleep much, so I thought I'd wait for you", Hakyeon said looking at the youngers tired eyes.

"You shouldn't have.  It's late you should be sleeping."

"I could say the same for you."

"That's different; I was working"

"You shouldn't work so much.  You need a break."

Was that what he really needed though? A break?  He needed something; if only he could figure out what it was. 

 Taekwoon had once again started a conversation with himself in his mind instead of verbally communicated as the elder had expected him to.  

 With a sigh, Hakyeon walked over to Taekwoon and softly wrapped his arms around his waist.  Taekwoon was slightly shocked by this action but not very much considering how light the latters touch was.  Not wanting to make the situation uncomfortable or hurt Hakyeons feelings, he returned the hug.

The longer they stood in each other's embrace the more their breath calmed and their hearts began to beat in sync.

Somehow, Taekwoon was no longer worried. He wasn't inside his head, frustrating himself, he was just relaxed and enjoying the elders touch.

"How did you know", he whispered, afraid that if he spoke too loudly the calmness that the two had created while holding each other would be broken.  "How did you know this would make me feel better?"

Hakyeon gripped the back of the youngers shirt before replying, "I didn't, I just..." He paused to think about the multiple ways he could phrase his sentence.

"I just think that everybody could use some comfort sometimes."