eight

Everybody Wants to be a Superhero

Exams were finally over and classes done for the summer break, but the school was still bustling with students. The only ones remaining in the school by now were the ones who had signed up for the tournament. They were all packing up their things from their dorms in preparation for their parents to take them home. However, the students wouldn’t be going home just yet. They would be sent off in buses to the airport and then to the States, where the tournament was set to play. Once there, the students would be checked into a fancy hotel in the heart of Los Angeles,close to the stadiums. (A/N lol had to note here that they’re pretty much using the olympic stadium...this is their olympics)  But that was in the future, well,more like tomorrow.

 

“Yug, did you see my dufflebag?”

 

“It’s under your suitcase, Bam.”

 

“Mark, have you seen my dufflebag?”

 

“No Jackson, keep the hell up with your own stuff.”

 

“But-”

 

The four boys were outside the Analytic Dorm, helping their friends with their belongings. Yugyeom and Mark had already sent off their luggage with their parents and reserved their seats on the bus, leaving their belongings to take to the tournament underneath the bus. Jackson was still moving things from his dorm to his parent’s car. Mark didn’t hesitate to scold him for being a procrastinator.

 

“Jackson, there’s still some boxes up in your room, but I don't know if they’re yours or BamBam’s,” Jackson’s sister yelled as she passed by them, large cardboard box in her hands.

 

“They’re not mine! I got all mine,” BamBam broke from his conversation with his parents and Yugyeom t reply to Jackson’s sister.

 

“I got ‘em!” Jackson yelled back, grabbing Mark to help him.

 

The two boys entered the dorm and jogged up the stairs to Jackson’s floor. They weaved through the small crowd of students and movers on the floor to room 852. The door was left open and unlocked, having only two boxes left sitting on a striped bed. Jackson entered the room first, waiting for Mark to enter before closing the door. Mark gave Jackson a confused look but moved to the bed nonetheless. Jackson took a deep breath and leaned against the back of the door. Mark had reached for one of the boxes, but thought otherwise when he saw Jackson stalling.

 

“What’s up?” Mark asked, leaning back against on of the built-in desks.

 

“I just,” Jackson started, leaning his head back on the door, “This is it, ya know? Like, after this, and if we don't win, there's not much more left for us.”

 

“What are you talking about Jackson?” Mark stood up and walked across the room. He placed his hands on either side of Jackson’s shoulders, “Even if we don't win, we will still have eachother. Plus, it’s a scholarship program, they can't tell us we can't go to H.A.S. We’ll just apply like normal people.” Mark reassures with a smile.

 

“Really? You'd still want to be a team even if we failed?” Jackson asked, looking up at Mark with puppy eyes.

 

“Yes, Jackson.”

 

“Like even if I totally and utterly failed?”

 

“Even if you're an utter failure,” Mark nodded.

 

“Like I mess up so bad that your arm gets cut off and lose a chunk of your leg and I get my hair singed off and end up looking like some sort of crusty monk?”

 

Mark blinked at the boy and blinked before suddenly pulling back and punching (lightly) him in the stomach.

 

“You Idiot, stop fishing for compliments,” Mark snorted.

 

Jackson feigned pain with a pitiful whine and doubled over, forehead coming to rest on Mark’s shoulder.

 

“Don’t worry Jackson. We’re going to blow them out of the water,” Mark chuckled.

 

“Hah, I don’t doubt that Mr.Ten” Jackson remarked snidely into Mark’s shoulder.

 

“Hey, you know you're just as good as me.” Mark raised his arms and enclosed Jackson into a hug.

 

“But we’ll never know.” Jackson shifted his body so that his chest was flush with Mark’s.

 

“What?” Mark asked, trying to turn his head to look at Jackson's face, but the other stayed pressed into him.

 

“Rate don't work on the rater,” Jackson replied simply.

 

“Wait,” Mark pushed the other off him, but left his hands on Jackson's shoulders, “You can tell what everyone else's rate is but not your own?”

 

“There's limits to everything--and don't ask about looking in the mirror, I've tried and btw mirrors actually pose more danger than you would think,” Jackson answered bitterly.

 

“Wow…” Mark blinked at Jackson for a moment before something sparked in his eyes, “Well, it's just too bad that you don't know anyone with the Copy quirk.”

 

Jackson looked up at Mark's wicked smile, “You little - don't you dare-”

 

“Oops,” Mark interrupted with a maniacal smile.

 

“You just copied me!” Jackson shouted indignantly, “I'm worthless now! Go on, go to the tournament alone. I'm no longer needed!” Jackson dramatically twirled around Mark and fell on the bed beside the boxes.

 

“Aw come on, I can only use one at a time. I still need you to use it constantly,” Mark rolled his eyes and walked over to the bed, sitting down beside the boy and placing his hand on his thigh, “Plus you’re awesome.”

 

Jackson shifted and pressed his face into the body mattress with a defiant grunt.

 

“Jackson~” Mark whined cutely and laid down on top of the boy, joking into his ear “Come on, you know I love you.”

 

“You love me?” Jackson’s voice was muffled by the mattress, but Mark could hear the serious tone.

 

“Jackson, I-”

 

“What's taking you guys long--oh, nevermind.” BamBam stopped at the door, eyes looking over the two boys lying rather intimately on the bed, “Uh, sorry to interrupt...that...but the bus is leaving in like half an hour and you still need to get all your stuff so…”

 

“Bam, just close the door.” Yugyeom poked his head over the boy’s shoulder and reached around him to grab the handle, “We’ll be waiting on the bus guys.”

 

“Thanks,” Mark looked over his In shoulder, not bothering to get off Jackson.  He waved to the younger boys as they closed the door, only rolling off Jackson when the door was completely shut.

 

“Come on, we better get this stuff down to your parents” Mark sighed and grabbed a box before exiting the room.

 

Jackson stayed on the bed for a moment. He rolled over onto his back and rubbed at his eyes .

 

‘You sure are a smart one Jackson,’ he told himself sarcastically.

 

------------

 

After Jackson had finally packed all of his belongings into his parents car and told them and his siblings goodbye, he boarded the bus, quickly finding Mark,BamBam and Yugyeom amongst the students in the back. He sat down next to Mark and repared himself for the long trip to the airport (read: headphones to block out BamBam and a blanket to share with Mark, he didn’t need a pillow because he had Mark).

 

Once they arrived at the airport, the  teachers quickly ushered the students off the buses and throh security. They were led to a special wing of the airport mt for transporting large groups like the military or even masses of students. Once everyone was cleared through security, they were allowed to board. Jackson immediately found a seat next to Mark and snuggled up to the boy, ready for a long nap.

 

“Do you sleep this much at school?” Mark chuckled as Jackson nudged his face under Mark's arm.

 

“Yes and no,” Jackson mumbled through Mark’s shirt, “Now stop moving so I can sleep.”

 

“Clingy,” Mark teased, but he still let the boy lean on him.

 

---------------

The plane landed at eight p.m. California time. The students were shoved off the plane and loaded onto buses, which would take them to their hotel. Each team shared one room with two beds. With all of the students participating, the Fight School students easily rented out the entire hotel. The tournament was scheduled to start the day after the next, leaving the students some time to sightsee after they arranged all their items in their hotel rooms.

 

“Did you know that I live here?” Mark asked while he and Jackson were unpacking.

 

“In this hotel?” Jackson looked up from his suitcase with a goofy smile.

 

“No you idiot. LA, I live in LA,” Mark threw a pillow at the laughing boy.

 

“So did your parents come to school on move out week?” Jackson tossed the pillow back on Mark’s bed.

 

“No, I shipped all my stuff over here, but I had to promise that I would go out with the at least three times a week during the tournament.” Mark placed his final shirt in the hotel dresser before knocking his suitcase off his bed and flopping down where it had been.

 

“They sound pretty confident in you,” Jackson smiled and abandoned his mess to lay down next to Mark.

 

“Us,” Mark corrected, staring at the ceiling.

 

“Hm?” Jackson turned his head to look at the redhead’s profile.

 

“They’re confident in us,” Mark corrected with a smile.

 

Jackson was taken aback for a moment. He was totally blindsided by the overall effect that Mark had on him. One smile from the boy sent his heart racing, a glance would make a smile break onto his face, a touch would send a fresh wave of heat through his body.

 

‘This guy is going to be the death of me,’ Jackson thought, still mesmerized by the boy beside him.

 

“Well,” Jackson suddenly spoke aloud, “Since you’re native, then how about you be my personal tour guide?”

 

“Not tonight,” Mark dismissed and rolled over so that his back was facing Jackson.

 

“Whyyyy?” Jackson whined and scooted closer to Mark, effectively spooning the boy.

 

“Too tired,” Mark mumbled, pressing back into Jackson’s warmth.

 

Jackson just sighed and surrendered to the boy He shifted a little closer to Mark (not that there was any space in between them already) and looked over the boy’s face. Mar had his eyes closed in a feigned sleep. His mouth was parted slightly, letting little puffs of air pass through his lips. Jackson raised a hand and ran it through Mark’s bangs, exposing his closed eyes. Mark’s eyelids fluttered open, the pupils looking up at Jackson through his eyelashes. Jackson Only smiled softly before dropping his arm to Mark’s waist. He hugged the redhead with a short, tight squeeze and cuddled up to him like a koala.

 

“You know you have your own bed right?” Mark whispered, though everything in his voice negated his question.

 

“Yeah, but it’s covered up right now,” Jackson replied easily.

 

“We should get up and change,” Mark offered, but he had already closed his eyes.

 

“We should,” Jackson agreed slowly, however he never moved to stand.

 

They laid like that for a while, enjoying the warmth from each other’s bodies.  Jackson felt every breath Mark took underneath his arm and Mark felt Jackson’s on his back. Jackson wasn't sure if Mark was awake or not, but sleep didn't seem to be coming his way. Jackson sighed and pushed his face into Mark's curly red hair.

 

“What are we, Mark?” Jackson whispered softly.

 

Mark didn't move or respond.

 

Jackson sighed again, “You know I really like you, like a lot.”


Soon, the even breathing of Mark led Jackson to sleep. With his conscience eased, Jackson fell into a deep sleep with dreams of the red haired boy beside him.