four

Everybody Wants to be a Superhero

The next morning all the students met in the courtyard. Teachers walked around with notepads and clipboards, organizing students and sending them off in different directions depending on the color and number of stripes on their uniforms.  Jackson and BamBam had to part ways with Youngjae as Mrs.Kwon sent the two towards the basketball courts. The two met several other students from their class at the courts and mingled for a while before a teacher caught their attention.

 

Students! Students!” The teacher, commonly known as Loudron in the Hero world, spoke above the crowd. A few unfortunate students near him had to cover their ears due to the sheer sound of the teacher's voice, “Students from the Power Class please stand on the player’s side of the court in a single file line. Analytic and Sidekicks please do the same on the audience side!”

 

“That's us.” Jackson grabbed BamBam by the arm and pulled him over to their side.

 

The students began to file into place and BamBam leaned over to Jackson and whispered, “So how's it looking?”

 

Jackson eyed over the line of students across from them. His eyes landed on the familiar figures of Jaebum and Jinyoung next to each other. The latter looked up and quirked an eyebrow at him. Jackson gave a noncommittal nod to the boy and continued searching the line after getting a nasty glare from Jaebum.

 

‘Sheesh, that guy needs to cool down,’ Jackson shuddered.

 

Jackson smiled when he found Mark at the end of the line.  He raised a hand and waved happily to him, ignore both his hand BamBam's judging looks.

 

“Everyone's pretty much three's... couple fours and,” Jackson shuddered as his eyes fell on Jaebum again, “Jaebum.”

 

Loudron began speaking about what they would be doing and rules but Jackson and BamBam ignored the teacher (somehow).

 

“So, see anyone good?” the Thai boy asked.

 

"For me or you?” Jackson asked knowingly.

 

“Oh, just shut up and tell me,” BamBam huffed.

 

“You need someone strong and solid. Loyal too, lord knows what it takes to stick around you-”

 

“What?!”

 

“Nothing.  Anyways, you song have much field power, but would mostly work in cities because...well, you're pretty useless without technology.” Jackson informed, ignoring BamBam's indignant squeak, “I'd saaaay...him. Kim Yugyeom.”

 

“Wolf boy?” Bam asked, a little unimpressed.

 

“Hey, what's more loyal than a dog? Plus if things get hairy, he's so tall that you can just hide behind him,” Jack snickered at his own pun.

 

“I can't believe you,” BamBam rolled his eyes and punched the other on the arm.

 

“Ay!”

 

“Ah! Thank you for volunteering Mr. Wang!”

 

Jackson heard the teacher and turned looking wide eyed at the center of the court. Standing in the middle were two students and the teacher, who was beckoning Jackson over. BamBam tried to hold in in laughter but ended up making gurgling noises in on the back of his throat.  Jackson gave him a death glare before slowly walking out to the center of the court.

 

“Now we need a volunteer for his partner. Remember, this is just for example sake. You won't be stuck with him!” Loudron added cheerily.

 

Jackson winced at both the teacher's loud voice and his comment, but held up a hand and spoke up, “Actually, I already have a partner on mind sir.”

 

The teacher turned to Jackson, eyes bright and motioned for him to continue.

 

“Mark.” Jackson looked over to the boy who seemed surprised.

 

Mark glared at him and tried to hide behind the student to his side.

 

“Aw, come on buddy, pal. Don't get all shy now!” Jackson teased dramatically.

 

“Come Mr. Tuan, join your friend.”

 

Mark frowned and slowly walked to his the center, making sure his displeasure was evident on his face.

 

“Alright, so now these pairs will demonstrate proper battle etiquette.”

 

Jackson looked at Mark sheepishly, still no idea what was going on. Mark rolled his eyes and whispered to the other, “Were you even paying attention- never mind, don’t answer that. Just follow what I do, ok.”

 

“This circle will be our makeshift staring platform.  In the real competing you will be on a movable platform that will disappear after your greetings.”  Loudron motioned towards the center circle of the basketball court.

 

Mark and the other two students walked to the edge of the circle. Jackson catching on quickly, followed Mark. When there were two students on either side of the circle, Loudron made a motion with his arm, palm extended and moving from above his head to his side, elbow rigid. The other students walked forwards to the center line and Mark grabbed Jackson by the edge of his sleeve and dragged him to the same place.

 

“Bow, idiot,” Mark spoke through closed teeth.

 

Jackson followed the directions. He and Mark bowed to the students across from them and they did the same.

 

“Now, step back to the circle,” Mark whispered.

 

Jackson did so, and he found himself and Mark back on the center circle.

 

“Good! Good! A round of applause for these students!” Loudron praised the group and the students at the edge of the court applauded halfheartedly, “Now, I want everyone to get in groups of four and practice the same thing. There will be no fighting today, just ceremonial practice alight? If I see any fighting you will immediately be sent to Principal Lee’s office.”

 

The students dispersed and formed groups. The two students that Mark and Jackson had practiced with earlier abandoned them for their own friends, leaving Jackson and Mark in a group with BamBam and, to Jackson’s delight, Yugyeom. They continued their practice with the boys, Jackson never failing to tease BamBam and “Wolf Boy” (who turned out to really be a perfect match for BamBam, a fact that Jackson used to his advantage). Throughout the practice, Mark tried to avoid eye contact with Jackson and never responded to any of the boy’s inquires. When Loudron finally called practice done, Mark quickly abandoned Jackson, leaving the boy pouting after him.



 

----------

 

“That was really mean, you know, leaving me after first period.”

 

Mark looked up from his lunch and sighed tiredly, “Go away Jackson. I thought I told you to stop following me around.”

 

“I’m not following you. I’m eating my lunch. Is it a crime for a guy to eat his lunch outside?” Jackson replied snarkily.

 

“Yes, yes it is. “Mark rolled his eyes, not ready to give in just yet.

 

“Well then, we’ll both get arrested, “Jackson said as he plopped down next to Mark, who didn’t move an inch. “You know the saying goes: Friends will bail you out of jail, but best friends will be right there, next to you, in the cell going ‘Hey, let's do that again.’”

 

“Then, I’d be neither,” Mark sighed to mask the smile slowly growing on his face, “Because I’d neither bail you out, or get caught with you, and I would definitely not like to ‘do that again.’”

 

“Ow Mark, that hurts.” Jackson whimpered, holding a hand over his heart. “Kiss it and make it better.”

 

“Ew no!” Mark finally laughed, unable to hold it in.

 

Jackson smiled triumphantly at his accomplish and laughed with Mark.

 

Mark leaned towards Jackson and pushed him away playfully, still laughing, “Get your puppy face away from me, creep.”

 

Jackson laughed harder and fell back onto his back, rolling around until their laughter settled. Jackson looked up at Mark from the ground, smiling widely.

 

The other boy held his gaze for a moment before blushing and looking away,” Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

“Like what?” Jackson asked as he sat up.

 

Mark shifted a little to the side and allowed Jackson to lean against the tree next to him, “I don’t know. You just look at me like-”

 

“JACKSON!”

 

The two boys jerked at the shout. Jackson looked over to the doors of the cafeteria to see BamBam, Youngjae and surprisingly, Yugyeom hanging out of the door.

 

“YO! JACKSON!” BamBam shouted and waved when the other blonde looked up.

 

Jackson glared at the boy and discretely (it wasn’t discreet at all) motioned for the boy to go away.

 

“WHAT?” BamBam shouted, obviously confused.

 

“Oh my god, BamBam, he wants us to go away…” Youngjae deadpanned and grabbed the boy, pushing him into Yugyeom. “They were having a moment, you idiot.”

 

Jackson slumped back against the tree, groaning. He closed his eyes for a moment before opening them and turning his head to face Mark. He was surprised for a moment at how close their faces were, but he didn't move away.

 

“Hey...we should…” Jackson started slowly. He stopped for a moment and bit his lip nervously. He smirked a bit when he noticed Mark’s eyes follow the gesture, “We should-”

 

“Eat,” Mark quickly interrupted with a blush blooming across his cheeks, “We should eat. I totally agree.”

 

Mark quickly scooted over a little and picked up his lunch tray, setting it in his lap before starting to eat quietly.


Jackson frowned slightly, looking over the boy’s shoulder, ‘What just happened?’