Gotta Catch 'em All

What the Bae?

It was a peaceful Saturday morning in the Bae household, Joohyun was ironing some clothes, as usual, after having just washed them with her new lavender detergent. Just as she was folding one of the shirts a loud scream peeved through the household, making the raven-haired girl jump in fear. Placing her hand on top of her chest to calm her poor, vulnerable heart, she makes her way up to the second floor of the house, and enter her room she shred with her twin.

 

On the bed, she see’s her blonde copy and paste older sibling lying prone on the bed, eyes closed as she groans towards the ceiling. “Unnie, wae yo? What’s the matter?” Joohyun asked curiously, her head titled slightly in question.

 

“Oh Hyunnie, the worst thing just happened, you won’t believe it?” Irene replies whislt opening her eyes to stare sadly at her sister.

 

0-0 “Wae?! Wae?!  Did you hit your head on the side of the bed? You failed your test last week?” rapid fire questions spew from Joohyun’s mouth as she panicked more and more; her scenarios becoming more ridiculous by each moment as her voice increased in volume “You got a call from the doctor saying that you’re going to die!!! NO WAIT, YOU FOUND OUT THAT THEY HAVE STOPPED SELLING DETERGENT BECAUSE THE APOCALYPSE HAS OCCURRED !!!”

 

Eyebrows furrowed in confusion at the youngers words, Irene covers the others mouth her hand “Shhh, Joohyun there is no apocalypse or me dying, calm down. Now when I take my hand off I want you to breathe arasso?” Joohyun nods and once Irene’s hand is off, she takes a huge gulp of breath.

 

Joohyuns nose then scrunches up a bit in disdain “Unnie, your hand is so clammy and sweaty, it smells you should wash them.”

 

“Yah!! How could you say that to your unnie Hyunnie” Irene says before smacking Joohyun’s arm lightly. Then she realises “LOL XD, did you hear that I rhymed” she tells Joohyun with a dorky smile painted on her face, eyes shining with amusement.

 

Groaning Joohyun facepalms at her sister’s strange behaviour and asks herself how her IDENTICAL twin sister can be so weird. “Ah by the way unnie, we’re getting off point, why were you screaming like you were being tortured?” Joohyun asks whilst covering on ear for emphasis. “I’m pretty sure even Mr Oh, whose half deaf could hear your whale call.”

 

Pouting petulantly at the younger girl Irene gives Joohyun her best puppy dog eyes causing the latter to apologise from the guilt. I mean, who could resist those eyes, if she did it would be like kicking a puppy. And not wanting to boast but her sister who ultimately looks like her makes one heck of a cute puppy.  Bouncing on the bed in happiness like a five-year-old kid, Irene shows Joohyun a portable game console “Hyunnie, do you know what this is?”

 

Looking at the console in confusion “Eeeer unnie, it’s a game boy colour, I have one too remember? Yours is pink and mine is purple.”

Rolling her eyes at the younger obliviousness, the blonde explains “No Hyunnie, I meant the game the game.”

 

Looking closer at the display screen, Joohyun is then casted back 20 years prior to when she was 6 years old. Playing on her purple game boy colour in the summer next to her sister. A cord in between the two connecting the two portable consoles together so they could trade pokemon. Ah yes, she remembers those times well. After all, nobody can beat the classics. Smiling to herself, Joohyun looks toward the older Bae “Yes, of course I do, this is the original Pokémon yellow right?”

 

“Exactly kekeke, as expected of my twin. But the special feature of the Pokémon yellow over the other games is what is making me scream my head off.”

 

“Oh chincha? Wae yo unnie?”

 

“You know how we can get all the starter Pokémon for the original 150 or so Pokémon? “seeing Joohyuns nod, she continues “well, I just did the stupidest thing and accidently released my squirtle” she finishes with a pout.

 

“………………………………….” A silence lingers in the room for a beat “Wait!! That’s it?!?! O-o That’s the big crisis. C’mon” Joohyun says exasperatedly throwing her arms up in the air at the older twins’ ridiculousness. It’s times like this she wonders whether her parents made a mistake and switched around their birth times. But apparently, no such thing had occurred since Mama Bae was smart enough to mark their toenails from the beginning in order to be able to tell them apart.

 

“But Hyunnie” Irene whines “I can’t get it anymore unless I restart the game and you know how hard it is to train your Pokémon to such a high level.”

 

Seeing as the older twin won’t stop whining, Joohyun decided to drag the older out of the house for some fresh air, and maybe she would be able to get some coffee before she starts getting a migraine.

 

 At the same time in another household, one little girl, aged around 6 was dressed in her favourite light blue t-shirt and khaki short, which matched her light brown backpack. All in all she looked cute and very cartoon like especially with her big expressive eyes that sparkled in the light. She checks herself in the mirror, looking up and down, nodding in approval she goes downstairs to the kitchen. “Umma!! I’m ready.”

 

The woman turns and smiles at her daughter wearing her favourite outfit. “Yerimmie, are you sure you’re going to be okay passing this to your unnie for me?” the mother asks worriedly, looking down at her innocent child as she packs in a thin book into the girls bag, with a  bottle of water and some snacks. “You remember what I told you right?”

 

Nodding her head up and down enthusiastically Yeri recites “Don’t talk and follow strangers. If a weird person comes near me I should run as fast as I can and scream.”

 

“The mother listening to the girl’s every words nods along then reminds her youngest “Annnd?”

 

 

Thinking for a bit with her hand placed on her chin as if she was searching her brain for an answer, a figurative light  bulb appears over her head “ And make sure to not stray from the  path.”

 

Smiling in approval, she woman bends down to give her child a kiss and hug “Just be careful okay” she whispers before sending the little one of on her errand. Nodding and waving her hand in goodbye, Yeri then walks away from the house towards her destination.

 

Back to the Bae twins, we see the two happily chatting as they walk along the path towards their usual café. They were just enjoying the time out of the house that they have been stuck in for a while due to sheer laziness to go out unless it was to meet up with Wendy or the girl’s roommate Seulgi, who they got to know during one of their gatherings a few months prior. Both roommates didn’t need to go out much since Wendy was pretty much an iron chef who could cook or bake almost anything, so the two always ended eating together at home but would go out to just hang out with the Bae twins now and again cause of boredom. This actually made both Bae’s envious of the Bae when they first met her but soon realised there was nothing to be jealous of since the monolid girl was so dense.

 

Suddenly Irene stops and gapes causing Joohyun to look back at her sister in confusion “Unnie what’s wrong?” Irene then point her finger straight ahead, Joohyun eyes follows the direction her sister was pointing. Her eyes fell on a little girl with a blue shirt looking lost.  At this point what was ringing inside Irene’s mind was “OMG, it’s a squirtle. Crap where’s the nearest mart, I NEED A POKEBALL DAMNIT!!”

 

Concerned more for the little girl and ignoring her sisters strange behaviour, Joohyun walks towards her. The little girls sees’ Joohyun squat down in front of her and takes a step back out of shock and fear. Gently Joohyun then asks gently “Hi there, are you lost?” Nodding hesitantly Yeri takes a few steps back to give her and Joohyun some space from each other. Noticing the apprehension, the raven haired female continues “Hey, it’s ok, I wont hurt you. My name is Joohyun, what’s your name?”

 

“Y-yerim, but everyone calls me Yeri” she replies, head down but eyes on the pretty unnie before her. Yeri at this point remembers what her umma said but this beautiful unnie doesn’t look strange so she must be okay right? Ah yes, children’s logic, gotta love how it makes no sense whatsoever.

 

Then out of nowhere the older Bae pops in and introduces herself enthusiastically “Hi Squirtle, I mean Yeri, I’m Irene, nice to meet you.”

 

At the sound of the loud voice, Yeri quickly hugs Joohyun and hides her face in the girls neck taking peeks at Irene now and again. She wasn’t fond of this new unnie, with her weird blonde hair and scary looking eyes that looked like she wanted to kidnap her. Seeing the little girl scared out of her mind, Joohyun looks up to the older twin and glares mouthing for her to apologise.

 

Grinning in embarrassment, Irene tries to apologise but to no avail, the girl would only talk to Joohyun.  After chatting to Yeri for a bit the twins realised that Yeri was heading to the same café and so decided to take her along. Evidently, this ended with Joohyun carrying Yeri in her arms as Irene tried to get the girl to laugh or to at least smile at her.

 

“Squirtle-ah, won’t you smile for Irene unnie?”

 

“How about if I give you sweets?” this made Yeri perk up a bit until she heard the whole sentence “Like rare candies.” Frowning at the girl lying to her about candies she then pretends to ignore Irene, but secretly the little girl was amused at the blonde’s weird statements.

 

Running out of options Irene then tries to sing a bit “The pokeball in my life is open for you.”

 

“Yah unnie, that sounds weird, stop it she’s a minor. Do you want to go to jail?” Irene says looking at her sister weird ly causing Joohyun to pout sadly, so much so you could see invisible animals ears and tail fall.

 

Pitying the weird unnie, Yeri leans over and pats the girls head. This brightens the older bae’s mood, she smiles and grabs Yeri and gives her a hug. “Aww little squirtle I knew you were the best starter Pokémon ever.” Yeri simply giggles, conclyding that Irene meant no harm, she was just a bit of a pabo unnie.

 

Smiling at the duo’s interaction, Joohyun opens the door to the café for them to let everyone in. A voice suddenly calls out in their direction “Yerimmie!!” Lo and behold before their eyes is a little snowman named Wendy going over to where the trio stood.

 

Wiggling out of Irene’s hold, she dashes to Wendy after being put down “Unnie!!!” the little girl screams excitedly as she launches herself over to the elder. The scene looking as if it were in slow motion, reminiscence to a scene in a film where both parties were brought back together after going to the new country. In other words, very dramatic and totally unnecessary but neither short girls cared since it had been a while since Wendy had time to visit her family. Irene breaking put of her shock at the realisation that both Yeri and Wendy were siblings goes over and talks to the red-head.

 

“Annyeong Wendy, I didn’t know you had a sister?”

 

“Oh annyeong Irene unnie, yeah. It’s just Yeri and I though, I moved out because my family arrived 2 weeks ago from Canada but haven’t had the chance to go back home for a visit long enough since I’m already rooming with Seulgi” Wendy explains. “I’m so glad you guys found Yeri, my mum told me that she passing me my music composition book that I left at home but after half and hour passed, I started getting worried. It’s a good thing you guys arrived when you did or else I would have sent a searched party” she jokes lightly, whilst combing Yeri’s hair back with her hand.

 

“Oh right, Hyunnie actually was the one who decided that I had enough of playing Pokémon so I got dragged out of the house” Irene says smiling goofily ?Besides, I’m glad I was able to meet this squirtle, she’s really cute.”

Laughing at the nickname, the duo along with yeri start talking about Pokémon randomly and were debating on topics ranging from which was the best starter Pokémon to have to which generation is the best.

 

At this time, Joohyun was rooted to the door entrance her mind fantasizing about again the one and only Son Seungwan. Wendy then turns to Joohyun and asks her what her favourite starter was causing the fair skinned girl to blurt out “You’re my pikagirl in the pokeworld.”

 

The conversation then stops abruptly as both Son siblings stare at the usually composed girl weirdly, whilst Irene looks like she was dying trying to hold in her laughter at her sister’s statement. “Ummmm okay well I’m going to get some coffee you want anything” was what Joohyun was meant to say. Instead, what came out of was something completely different “You want some coffee but I want your heart.”

 

Thinking that Joohyun was just making some funny puns, Wendy simply laughs and goes to order some food and drinks for them all as repayment for getting yeri to her safely. Irene then walks to where Joohyun was standing, one red in the face from embarrassment the other from trying to keep her laugher in. Patting her sister on the shoulder Irene says to the other twin “Woooh, omg Hyunnie, that was the best. LOL. I thought I was going to die from laughter. I wish I had that recorded; you thinkt heres any sound CCTV in here that I could get one?”

 

Smacking the other in annoyance, Joohyun just storms of to way the Son siblings sat leaving her sister to giggle furiously on her own as she trailed the younger Bae. 

 

 

 

And that’s it folks. I wanted to thank everyone who has subscribed to the story so far. Thanks for taking a chance on me. /bows/ Also I had originally planeed to make this a chase scene where little squritle yeri was being chased by Joohyun but I thought that would come off wrong. Other than that pls tell me what you think of the story by commenting or pm-ing me.

 

Note: This is not a linear story so I may go back and forth through the timeline. But like with Seulgi, I will explain things not previously touched on so if you get lost just tell me and I’ll edit the chapter to clear things up.