Fin.

The Rise, Fall and Revival of Romance
The beginning

There was something about Valentine’s Day, the way everyone always looked either super happy because they had someone to spend their day with, or super angry because they were official members of Black Day, and had been members of that lonesome day since they could remember. Personally when it came to Sehun, he had also been one of those people that ended up eating Jjajangmyun during Black Day, all alone with his face covered in sauce. But it never bothered him. Probably because he really liked the meal or maybe because even though he was an optimist, he was never a romantic. He never really believed in the whole idea of love that lasts forever and joy and happiness to all. It was just too optimistic, even for him. Maybe because he watched his parents’ divorce when he was ten years old, and it wasn’t a nice divorce either. So as much as Sehun would wake up smiling to the world because he genuinely believed that the world will have good things to offer him, he never really thought love would be one of those good things. 

He was sitting on a stool at the barber’s shop, having the hair dresser cut him a new haircut and dye his hair black again because he was getting sick of his blonde and the need to take care over his roots every few weeks when the man handling his hair suddenly asked. “Hey, do you have a girlfriend?”

That definitely took Sehun by surprise but he just shrugged as he kept his eyes close. “Nope, why?”

“My daughter has a Valentine’s dance in her school next week and she keeps rejecting offers thrown at her because she thinks the guys are too immature or some idea like that. I was wondering if you mind maybe taking her out. She’s cute and pretty, I can show you a picture of her. And I’m sure she won’t reject a handsome, young man like you.” He smiled and Sehun could feel himself frowning. Was his barber really trying to hook him up with his daughter? Sure he had been going to this shop since he was like 3 and the barber knew him quite well and so on, but it’s because he knew him so well that he shouldn’t have thought that offering Sehun a date with someone he doesn’t even know, is a good idea. How to turn down an offer without hurting the man? Now that was a good question. 

“I’m sorry. I can’t take her out that day.” He murmured and he could feel the tension behind him. Maybe it wasn’t a good idea to reject a man who holds scissors so close to your face.

“Why not? You didn’t even take a look at her. Maybe you’ll like her?”

He tried to think of a decent excuse but ended up coming short. Suddenly, a brain spoof happened and he blurted out something he really, really shouldn’t have. “Because I’m gay.”

He heard the sound the scissors made as they fell to the floor and was very happy the man wasn’t handling his bangs at the moment. It wasn’t like what he told the guy was a complete lie. It wasn’t a truth either, though.  Sehun had never actually been involved in a relationship for him to decide which gender he prefers and he never really was a fan for or magazines to be able to decipher which gender suits his fancy. But it was easier to lie about something that wasn’t completely a lie than to hurt the feelings of a man he knew for almost as long as he could remember and would tend to visit at least once a month.

“O-oh I’m sorry! I didn’t know. Do your parents know?” He heard the man behind him stutter as he tried to pick up the scissors clumsily and return to work very awkwardly after he washed off the hair from the pair. 

“No. And please don’t tell them. They are finally almost back to normal terms with each other now that my mom remarried and doesn’t hold a grudge against dad for doing it. The air is tense and letting them know their only son is gay won’t do well. Dad is old fashioned. He’ll starts being a and blaming my mom for this while mom will also blame herself and it’ll just create unnecessary tension. I don’t date. Simple as that. So they don’t need to think or worry about anything. And neither do I.”

But Sehun was wrong. Because in the barber shop where he thought no one was listening, sat one guy who was listening to every word. And Sehun seemed to pique his interest. 

After he was done and paid the bill for his barber who still seemed to be in daze and utter shock at today’s fresh—secretive—piece of gossip, he was about to head down the street to his favorite Jjajangmyun place to get himself lunch. He didn’t know he was being followed until he sat down after placing his order and the guy sat down beside him. 

“Umm sorry this is occupied. Or did you sit here before? Sorry. I’ll move to another table then.”

He was just about to get up as the hand shot up to catch his and make him stop. “Stay, Sehun. It’s been a while. I want to catch up.”

Sehun frowned as he looked at the stranger. He seemed to be the same age as he was, but he dressed up a lot better than Sehun did. If Sehun had any rich friends, he would have definitely remembered that. But he didn’t and this guy had a bracelet he knew cost more than his entire outfit together. Was that Cartier? He heard about that firm. One bracelet could reach up to 20 thousand dollars. How does a guy like that know a guy like him, was beyond him. 

“You don’t remember me?” He heard the other speak again and quite frankly he really wanted to get out of there and quickly because there was a stranger he did not know who was damn rich and was sitting next to him in a cheap Jjajangmyun place and acting like they knew each other. “I don’t. And if you don’t mind, I don’t like sitting next to stranger. Especially those that look like they could have some thugs in hire hiding behind a bush and waiting to beat me up. Did my dad do his gambling again? I was sure he stopped. If it’s something about money, my dad owes your dad some… well I’m sorry buy I have about 40 thousand won in my wallet and I doubt it’ll do you any good.”

He heard the guy laugh and honestly—maybe Sehun was a bit gay because this man looked freaking stunning to him. He had a sharp jawline, handsome features, a beautiful tanned skin that his own tender skin could never hope to match (mostly because he ends up getting burnt, not tanned) and a beautiful kind of laughter that made him almost calm down but not really. 

“Sehun! You’re still a goof after all these years! Nothing changed, huh?” 

Sehun was blinking at the other in confusion and when the other noticed Sehun still didn’t recognize him, he stopped laughing with a sigh and broke into a small smile. 

“You don’t remember me? We used to be best friends. I’m Jongin. Well I go by as Kai now. Or at least I’m supposed to soon.”

“What—Jongin?” Sehun remembered something about that name—before it hit him. His childhood friend. They were together since birth pretty much. They used to be super close also because their parents were friends and they were practically glued to each other since they were born—well until Sehun’s parents got divorced and started ting around on everyone around them in their major dispute and drove Jongin’s parents away because they didn’t want Jongin to witness such a destructive behavior from a couple of adults. How did Jongin recognize him after all these years was beyond him, especially because he was not even close to recognize Jongin. 

“Oh my God, what are you doing here? I thought you moved to Seoul like ages ago or something. Did your parents win to lottery? You look damn rich now! Dude you creep me out, ew no. Go away and bring me back my dorky, glasses wearing, missing his front tooth, friend back.”

_____________________________________________________________________

Just like that it seemed like things were back to normal. They clicked together so quickly and were back to being all they were in the past. By the end of the meal they had caught up with each other and felt almost as if they never did separate for those long 7 years. Sehun found out Jongin was scouted into a major entertainment company and was about to debut soon. All his clothes are from there because he is no longer allowed to dress himself. He came back to his small birth town before his major debut because he wanted to feel what it was like to be walking around the streets he grew up in without having to worry about fans spotting him and chasing him down like his sunbaes keep experiencing. Of course he can only hope to become as popular, but idols from the company he’s in are bound to eventually get noticed and harassed. He didn’t expect to see Sehun still there though, and when he spotted the guy in their usual barber shop he just had to talk to him. Jongin found out that Sehun’s dad remarried 3 years after the divorce with Sehun’s mother and his mom remarried last year and since then they had been more or less of good terms. He also found out that the man Sehun’s mother married lives in Seoul, so he ends up going there every vacation or weekend they have while during the week he stays at his dad’s because of school. He quickly told Sehun they must hang out together then when Sehun is in Seoul and Sehun joked about being too scared of Jongin’s future fans to call him up. 

The conversation went great between them and both of them eventually felt as if there was no 7 year gap between them at all. When they finished their bowls of noodles they decided to go get a dessert together and it was then that Jongin said something that almost made Sehun choke on the piece of melon he was chewing on. 

“Do you remember when we were kids… we were so close. I think it was at the age of 6 that we vowed to spend the rest of our lives together. Sadly there was a small milestone in the path but hey! We met again and I guess now we can keep our promise, right?”

Sehun nodded as he took another spoonful of his bingsu to at. 

“I mean once you do something, you never forget, even if you can’t quite remember it.” Jongin continued and Sehun smiled as he gave one more nod. 

“That’s why when we exchanged those candy pop rings thing and married each other, I always remembered it, Sehun. Because you’re mine. And I am yours. And I am so happy I found you again because I never forgot our promise.”

And that was when Sehun nearly choked, gagged and puked the entire ice cream out. It took him a minute or two to recover, tears in his eyes as he had to clean his face because it did not look attractive at all in the moment before he finally choked out.”Wh-what?”

So that was how Sehun found out that soon to be a star, Kim Jongin, was his old best friend and was in love with him—in an odd kind of “childhood first love, forever love” kind of way. That soon to be a star, Kim Jongin, was asking him to be him date for Valentine’s next week and that he heard Sehun talk in the barber’s shop and knew that what Sehun said was true because they were, after all, engaged since they were 6. 

He also found out Kim Jongin must be delusional because; what the ?

It took Jongin all evening to convince Sehun to say yes but eventually Sehun did, just to make Jongin shut up and stop pouting because he hated when people played on his heart strings like that. Jongin was ecstatic and Sehun was starting to grow a headache because this day did not go as he expected it to. 

But a week passed and finally doomsday arrived and Jongin came back to town (how the hell did he get the permission to was beyond him, but probably because Jongin told him he was a rising star dancer in the company and soon to debut that they wanted to groom him properly and keep him happy enough. Happy trainee makes a good idol, right?)

Well, to Sehun’s utter surprise they had a wonderful date together and Jongin decided to take on himself the role of the gentleman as he opened doors for Sehun, paid for their movie ticket and for their dinner together and even got Sehun a rose (after Sehun had to force him not to buy him a whole bouquet because he had no idea how to explain that to his parents.)

“Jongin, you know that on Valentine’s girls get the guys some chocolates and on White’s Day it’s when the guys take girls on dates and be cute and things like that, right? So acting like a gentleman on Valentine’s is a bit odd. If you wanted to spoil me today, you should have let me be the gentleman.” Sehun commented as they walked through the park, Sehun was holding the rose close to him and wondering what the hell are they even doing because this is going to probably end badly and no optimistic mindset could convince him otherwise. Mostly because idols are far too scary of a deal for him to even consider a romance with one, let alone a guy. 

“Yeah, but I can’t on White’s Day. My debut is on April and I will never be allowed to leave just a few weeks before the debut, you know? So I had to make it work now. Be your loving boyfriend a month ahead of time and all. You’re my princess, after all, Sehuna.”

“Excuse you, why do you think you can take the role of the caring boyfriend here, anyway?” Sehun scoffed, playfully of course. 

“Because when we were six years old and vowed to marry each other, I was not the one wearing my big sister’s white shirt as if it was a dress and acting like a pretty little princess.” Jongin smirked at that and Sehun’s face turned almost as red as the rose in his hands. 

“Y-yah! I was six! It doesn’t count! You had sisters. I didn’t! I didn’t know what girls are like so I wanted to experience it and thought that if I dress like one I could understand them. Just so you know I stopped trying to wear girl things when I was seven!”

“I do know. I was sad because I couldn’t flaunt you as my pretty girlfriend anymore. And by then our parents were starting to be mean about the whole love affair we had and started telling us that men don’t belong to each other and relationships are only between girls and boys. I was sad I couldn’t say you’re like a girl because you stopped wearing dresses. That was rude of you.” Jongin stole a peck from Sehun’s cheek and Sehun almost slammed the spiky rose in his face. 

“Excuse you! And… I didn’t know about that. How do you remember all of this?”

“Well I guess it’s because I never wanted to forget you. You were my first love. And so far, my last one too. I meant it back then, that I want to spend my life with you. I don’t know how you grew up to be, but I want to know. I want to get to know you better and I want us to patch up and maybe if we still match as good… maybe you’d agree to be my boyfriend.”

Jongin was being bashful, cheeks rosy and flushed at his little confession and Sehun was being coy and didn’t know what to do. Their night continued peacefully. It was during Valentine’s that sparks of love yet again ignited. 

______________________________________________________________________

Shortly after Sehun and Jongin were texting each other nonstop. Whenever Jongin was on breaks from practice, whenever Sehun was not too occupied with school. They didn’t title themselves yet, mostly because Sehun still felt like this whole story is a childhood love affair that is bound to shatter soon enough. But even Sehun couldn’t deny the fact that he started to become even happier, thinking only of the good possibilities a day could offer. And for 2 months, up to Jongin’s debut, they got so close it felt almost as if they never broke apart.

________________________________________________________

Quite quickly Jongin rose, and when he rose, he was basically sky rocketing. His group didn’t just become super popular due to handsome looks and unique band concept, but he himself had proved himself as a worthy competitor to the title of Dancing King. Jongin with his y, powerful moves, and an amazing way of knowing just what expression to pull at the exact perfect moment. He won fans’ heart in a flash and soon enough he had barely any time to text Sehun as much as he used to. 

By then they had officially became a couple, with Jongin asking to be his boyfriend and as much as Sehun protested at first, out of fear of his homophobic parents, Jongin had managed to pursued him and Sehun had to admit… when they met that weekend secretly when he was in Seoul and Jongin’s lips were kissing him just right, and Jongin himself just felt so right. He didn’t know what love was before, but when Sehun and Jongin had spent their childhood together, being so close and imagining a full future together. Sehun just wanted to be with Jongin, because he was an optimist, and he believed that they will have their happily ever after. Sehun believed that Jongin could be the love of his life, because as much as he didn’t want to believe in love… he believed in his childhood friend. In that dorky kid who used to tell him how he will become big and famous, be the most famous dancer in Korea. Jongin was the boy who made him believe in dreams that were impossible, and if Jongin could actually grow up to become this amazing man, amazing and famous dancer, then why would he lie about their future together? Maybe love still had a chance. Sehun wanted to hope, because Sehun liked hoping… he liked wishing for the best. 

________________________________________________________________________

Next White’s Day Jongin was buying roses to give Sehun as his return gift for the teddy bear he got from Sehun last month. It was such a cute, large bear who had a shirt on with a picture of both of them as kids, holding hands, printed on it. It almost made him tear up at the sight so Jongin decided to go big. He bought a super expensive rose bouquet, special order with roses from different places in the world along with a box of hella expensive chocolates (Like who buys a box in 200$? A boyfriend who wants to make his boyfriend flip out and yell at him for wasting money on useless things, that’s who) but that was when everything went to .

The next day a bunch of magazines and online paparazzi sites had Jongin’s face all over, rumours of a secret girlfriend who is getting Korea’s new rising pop star’s heart. By the time Sehun opened his door to receive the presents Jongin had overnight shipped him, he was trembling. As if positive the mailman would recognise the flowers from the paparazzi news. He was worried about his dad but his dad just congratulated him for finding an admirer and there he was, confused and worried over what is going to happen now that people suspect. He knew it’ll get Jongin in trouble, after all, Jongin was a rookie, this was definitely not allowed. 

What he didn’t expect would be that his weeklong effort to call his boyfriend, text, email, get any response from him regarding the issue only ended up with him being totally ignored. That weekend he couldn’t go to Seoul because his mom was on a trip with her husband, which was probably lucky because he couldn’t see Jongin anyway, not that Jongin seemed to answer him. But it’s okay, this is what had to happen until everything calmed down.

And that’s when it happened. He really did want to be positive, think it’s a must for now, to be careful but then everything will be alright and turn well and they will be okay. 

He could hardly sleep that night, turning and twitching and feeling uncomfortable in his own skin. He was trembling and sweating as he woke up from a dreadful nightmare. He couldn’t remember what it was as he woke up, but he knew it was something that had him heaving as he woke up and he struggled for sleep the remaining of that night. 

The next morning as he woke up and went downstairs to have breakfast, his classes started late that day so he let himself sleep in a little. But when he went down for breakfast, he realized the air was tense. As he poured himself some cereal and milk, chewing on it quietly, he felt his step mom coming to place hands against his shoulder, looking at him with sympathy. It didn’t take long until his dad walked into the kitchen with the same grim look and told Sehun that when he walked their dog out this morning, the dog’s chain got loose and he ran into traffic. The dog was ran over and died immediately. That dog had been in the family for 5 years, it was still his baby. And now… it was gone. His dad kept spewing apologises and promises to get him a new puppy if he wished it. He promised to go to the shop where they got the chain and threaten to sue them for the damage they caused. But everything his dad said fell on deaf ears. Sehun was pained, hurt and spent most of the morning between crying to trying not to cry. His dad offered him not to go to school that day and he would have jumped the offer if he didn’t have problems with one of the teachers that he had classes with that day so skipping her class would have been bad for him, especially with a big quiz coming up in a week and a half. He went to school ever so dejected, tired, grumpy and in an emotional turmoil. But apparently that day just wasn’t his day. And that was an understatement. 

When he came home early that day, not staying for his after class activities, he came in to see his parents still in the same grim, gloomy mood and as much as he felt the same way, something about the fact his dad had yet to recover, a man he always thought as being mighty strong, was odd for him. During dinner though, he found out why.

His dad seemed hesitant when he told him he has bad news to tell him, and Sehun wasn’t sure what could be worse than his dog dying that day, what could be so bad that his dad could tell him that his dog died but he can’t tell him these news. But when his dad finally spilled it out, he really felt like his world came crushing down. 

His grandmother, a woman he loved almost as much as he loved his parents, he was so close to her… she was diagnosed with stomach cancer. 

That evening Sehun lost all color from his face and remained trembling the entire night as he cried and tried texting Jongin, begging for some comfort from a man who didn’t need comfort himself… Because his dad was a wreck and his step mom was too busy trying to pick him up to pay enough attention to Sehun who was just as damaged and hurt by this day as his family was.

The problem was that Jongin was still not answering and at that day it really started to get on his nerves. He decided to Google Jongin, check what he was doing. Perhaps he had showcases or shows abroad. He went to China a few times before so maybe this time he just forgot to tell him. 

The moment he found news about Jongin, he immediately regretted it. Apparently, SM entertainment, Jongin’s company, came with a statement that Jongin’s mysterious girlfriend is actually Krystal, a girl who is part of one of the company’s girl groups. He saw a video of the two, apparently from this same awful day, how they went to an event together and were all over each other gleefully. Sehun closed his laptop, went to bed and cried himself to sleep.

At that night when he went to sleep with a heavy, broken heart, Sehun changed forever. 

The next morning he got a text from Jongin himself, telling him he’s sorry but they should break up. Telling him they were never going to work out anyway and he was just trying to delude himself believing they could. After all, they both lived such different lives, had such different paths in front of them that Jongin could never risk having been found in a relationship with a man. Jongin texted him long, explaining the situation and telling Sehun he hopes Sehun understand why they should break contact, he also told Sehun he should delete his number because it was risky having him texting and calling him so much. And then he bid his farewell, again. A year after Jongin returned to his life and gave him hope, he had taken it all away. Hope for love, faith in people… all gone as Jongin swept it all away. Sehun wished Jongin had never stepped back into his life. But after all it was necessary, to teach Sehun the true color of people, that love is really not something to believe in… that fame and money would always mean more than love. 

He soon became a cold, cynical person. His smiles turned into smirks or small half smiles, never again the full, bright ones Sehun used to have. His laughing turned into mocking snorts. The optimist child he always tried to convince himself he was, was officially gone. 

And as it turned out, people liked him better this way.

_________________________________________________________________________ 

3 years into the future, Sehun had already moved to live with his mom in Seoul as his dad and his step mom gave birth to a little sister for him. He left them to their happy little family, feeling like he’d do more harm than good. He finally finished his school time, so now he could live with his mom. Living at her place was short lived though because less than a year’s time since he moved to Seoul, he was scouted by a modelling company and soon became one of the new uprising models in the industry. People loved his cold aura, that cocky smirk and penetrating eyes. He easily caught eyes and turned heads as he passed by, making girls giggle and whisper among themselves and guys wondering where is he from and how to become like him because they all wanted to have girls fawn over them as Sehun had for himself. 

Problem was Sehun didn’t want to settle for anyone despite the fact that because he did not want to take upon himself acting offers, he really did have it easier than idols and was actually allowed to have relationships.  He just decided that… if even Jongin lied to him, why would he even bother believing in strangers when his best friend would lie to him like that?

Sehun had been a model for about a year and a half, pretty much since he moved to Seoul the moment he finished high school, and his fame had him having his face on every magazine, paper and major company that could afford him. Soon enough, SM entertainment wanted to collaborate with Sehun’s company, having Sehun and several others appear in photo shoots along with SM idols for various cosmetic companies SM endorsed. Sehun didn’t really have a say in the word as he was chosen to take pictures with one of the most famous groups in Korea, and to his luck, it was the group Jongin was in. 

Apparently his youthful good looks just fit the young, handsome band members best so he and 2 other models were chosen to make photo shoots with Jongin’s group for a cosmetic company called Nature Republic. 

Sehun knew about those news about 2 weeks before the shoots were actually scheduled to happen and it had taken him the entire two weeks to prepare himself mentally and emotionally for the meeting with Jongin after so long. 

The thing was, Jongin didn’t exactly know what he was getting himself into until he walked into the set and his eyes landed on the stunning man at the make up and hair section, being prepared for a shoot with him and his bandmates. It honestly took Jongin a moment or two to digest that the man in front of him is someone he knows, another moment or so to understand it was Sehun and just one more minute to let it sink in that this is the man he promised to never let down, and then he broke his heart without even apologising. If Jongin understood one thing the moment everything actually sank in, it was that he was screwed. And that this will not be a good photoshoot week. 

________________________________________________________________________

Surprisingly enough for Jongin, it didn’t even seem like Sehun acknowledged his presence, let alone seem upset or angry at him or create a scene or anything Jongin might have dreaded. And although he should have felt better knowing that this seemed like it could pass on smoothly, it didn’t. It upset him. Sehun was totally ignoring him and although he should have expected it and be thankful it’s not worse, he expected more. Maybe at least a glance at, as spiteful and hateful as it could have been, but he didn’t get that either. 

And just when he thought it couldn’t be worse, Chanyeol, who was always unclear about his orientation with how close and clinging he seemed to be with Baekhyun or Kris, suddenly told him he thinks the model they were teamed up with is hot and if Jongin thinks that the guy would agree to go out with him to dinner. 

He couldn’t help but stare as Chanyeol went over to Sehun and asked the guy out, asking him first if he’s okay going out with a guy. What he failed to hear was Sehun explaining Chanyeol he doesn’t do dating, though if Chanyeol would still want to go out to eat together, as friends, he’s more than willing to. Chanyeol agreed and Jongin was left at the side to watch how the man he loved… how the man he always loved, and the man he let down because he sold himself out, exchanged numbers with his bandmate. And he was steaming with anger and jealousy. 

After a full week beside Sehun, as Sehun continued ignoring Jongin’s existence and avoided contact unless absolutely needed for the shoots, the two parted and Jongin was left to sit in his dorms as he watched Chanyeol prepare himself to go on on his supposed date with Sehun during the weekend. Chanyeol told the guys he wants to court Sehun, because he found the guy unbelievably attractive. He also told them they are definitely going to pretend to be close friends in case anything happens, just to make sure no one is suspecting odd things about him that might cause scandals to their group. Everyone seemed supportive, mostly because they didn’t really have anyone in the band that was against homouality, which is something Jongin would have been happy to know all those years back when he was in a homoual relationship he screwed completely up for his band and company. 

He watched Chanyeol leave the house with a miserable look, eating his emotions out with his second bucket of chicken as Jongdae flopped down by his side and hummed thoughtfully. 

“You look so bitter and sour that even a lemon starts to look sweet in comparison. What’s wrong? Did Chanyeol beat you into hitting on that cute model boy?”

Jongin almost choked on his piece of meat as he looked at Jongdae, obviously surprised. 

“Oh come on, dongsaeng, you really think I… or in fact everyone but Chanyeol in this group are that blind that we didn’t notice how you kept staring at the guy… what was his name? Sihun?”

“Sehun.” Jongin corrected for him.

“Yes, Sehun. How you kept staring at him since the moment we walked into the set. It seemed like you were going to have your eyes popping out if you kept looking at him any longer.”

“I did not.” Jongin scoffed and inhaled another chicken wing. 

“Man, you’ll have to dance for hours to no end to lose all those extra pounds. I suggest you stop eating before you lose control.”

“I am skinny and good looking and chicken is delicious and loves me and will never hurt my figure because we have an agreement.”

Jongdae snorted as he quirked a brow and picked up the bucket of chicken to carry it away. “Yeah yeah, crazy dude. If you are extremely, painfully jealous, know that Chanyeol is taking that Sihun dude to his mom’s restaurant. Yeol asked his mom to close the restaurant tonight so they won’t be harassed by fans so you can go there if you want to declare your war against Chanyeol for that damsel in distress.”

“Sehun.” Jongin grumbled and got up on his feet. “His mom’s place? The Italian style right? Man we haven’t been there in forever. I want to eat her weird pizza again, it was… good weird.”

“Jesus , Jongin. I just took away your food. Don’t go there for that. Go there to sort out your anger. Find out at least if you even stand a chance before you keep glaring at Chanyeol for stealing your man. I start feeling bad for the dude. He came to us yesterday to ask what he did to you that you seem to want to gut him.” 

Jongin seemed surprised at that, clearing his throat. “Oh? He really… man, I didn’t know. Okay I’m out. I’ll see you later, hyung.” Jongin said as he went to change quickly and basically ran to the door. 

“Yeah yeah. Get your Cinderella and stop being a pain in the . Chanyeol doesn’t deserve you being angry at him just because you two have the hots for the same model. “

“Sehun. Jesus, hyung. And I won’t be mean to Yeol hyung. Promise.”

_________________________________________________________________________

It was a relatively long drive to the restaurant, about an hour with all the traffic, and when he got in and was greeted by Chanyeol’s mom and two of the waiters there. He saw the two sitting at a table at the centre of the place and with a bow and a thank you, he walked in to join and interfere the meal. 

“Hyung, can I join?” He said, unsurely, obviously nervous.

Chanyeol seemed surprised, but he wasn’t going to object, giving the fact Sehun made it clear to him this isn’t going to be a date. But then. 

“I don’t want him to join.” Sehun commented with a frown, looking at Chanyeol. “He is a nobody to me, I dislike him and I want him away, please. I agreed to be your friend, but I don’t want this man next to me.”

Chanyeol looked utterly surprised, a bit lost as he wasn’t sure what to do. 

“Sehun, what are you doing? Why won’t you even look at me?” Jongin sighed, still standing next to the table.

Chanyeol was confused at this. “Do you two know each other?”

“I do. He’s the reason I am not willing to date you. Or anyone.” Sehun looked angry, but Jongin didn’t pay attention to that because suddenly something caught his attention. 

“Wait… you are not willing to date hyung? This is not a date?” He looked at the two in utter surprise, suddenly feeling very uncomfortable with this entire scene. 

“No. I told you guys I am going to hang out with Sehun. There is a difference between hanging out and dating. First of all, I would have not taken my date to my mom’s restaurant because on a date, I’d like to pay for our dinner, and not get it for free. That’s cheap. And I am more of a man than that.” Chanyeol scoffed. “But if I’m with friends then I don’t really care for free food or not free food, as long as we are comfortable. You should have known that about me.”

Sehun snorted and tapped his hand over Chanyeol’s hand. “That’s cute. But even if we were going on a date, I wouldn’t have mind if we got our food for free or not. I would have just wanted to be with you and get to know you. I wouldn’t think you’re cheap. Not if you are sweet to me. I never liked the idea of wasting money just to waste it. If we can get a great meal for free, then why not? I would be more than willing to then go and take the money we saved on this food and donate it for someone who needs it, right? But that’s not the point. This isn’t a date, and this guy beside us is the reason for that and I would appreciate if Jongin could leave because I am not willing to put up with him and his crap. Besides, we just ordered more food and I would like to eat in peace.”

Chanyeol smiled a bit at Sehun. “Man, you’re too cute. Sehun, you make it far too hard not to want to have you for myself. But… regarding this dispute, may I ask what happened? Why?” 

“Let’s just say that this jerk made me a promise he didn’t keep. He broke my trust, and did it in the worst way possible. And then what? You two broke up within half a year? Wow, such romance. You . I don’t ever want to see you again.” Sehun turned to look at Jongin, the fire in his eyes made Jongin cringe, squirming in his spot uncomfortably. 

“I swear… this isn’t what you think! I… I was foolish. We were rookies. Newbies. We had to do whatever we were told to by the company and I was found out. The best way was to pretend that I was dating a girl. I just… I didn’t know better.” Jongin started. He knew why Sehun was mad at him and Sehun had every right to. He didn’t even know what excuse he can give that would sound at least somewhat convincing because this didn’t sound like a good enough excuse even for him.

Chanyeol, as slow as he might have looked like, seemed to have caught up pretty quickly as he gasped in surprise. “This was the person back then? The one you dated? That we had to use Krystal as backup? Holy you dated a model? Wait… no. Sehun is a new model. How did you guys meet? Wait you dated this stunning, adorable man and you dumped him because of the company? Wow. Total loss of respect, man. If I was any closer to Sehun, I’d probably have punched you right now.”

“Oh shut up hyung. Sehun and I are childhood friends. I was… Yes. We dated and I was… am in love with him. But I messed up. I know I did. I was scared. This career is all I ever wanted. I was willing to do whatever it takes to be on the company’s good side. It wasn’t like I wanted to hurt Sehun! I just… I was an idiot! And I know that and I’ve known that for years now but never had the guts to try and contact Sehun to make it better. And I’m sorry! I really am!” Jongin was soon looking at Sehun. His gaze was so pitiful that Chanyeol started to feel bad for him, just a little. But not Sehun.

“You have no idea what that day was for me. The worst day of my life. I wanted to talk to my boyfriend to have him support me and tell me that ‘hey, things will be alright. You got me and I will always be there for you to cheer you up. I love you.’ like that. But what did I get instead? I found out through the news that you are suddenly dating someone else. And even worse? That you texted me your break up after the news were revealed. Like if there is anything more disgusting and cowardly than what you did… I don’t even want to know. You are nothing to me. We knew each other before but now you’re a stranger. And feeling sorry for what you did is not enough. It’s never going to be enough. You knew for yourself that I had problems with relationships after my parents broke up. But you begged me, you promised me. I was willing to give my everything to you. And you cast me aside for your career? You… you don’t deserve me. You don’t even deserve being called a man. You’re a coward. And I wish you would leave.”

Chanyeol sighed at that and got up, escorting Jongin slowly to the door. “He doesn’t seem to want your company. I’m sorry man. I’ll try my best to smooth things out but I can’t promise you anything. You did act like a . I might try to have him willing to talk to you but I can almost promise you this isn’t going to end well. He seems to despise you now, and I can’t blame him. It sounds like you messed up big time. ”

Jongin smacked his shoulder as the two walked to the door and he sighed with a nod. “I know. I just want him to forgive me. Even if he will never give me a second chance. I just want him to be my friend again.” 

“You’ll have to work hard for that, Jongin-ah.” Chanyeol hummed as they reached the exit of the restaurant. 

“I know. And I’ve matured. I know better. And I will definitely work hard for him.”

_________________________________________________________________________

 

After that night Chanyeol and Sehun had become close. Very close. And the two would meet each other every free time they had. Sehun had become known in the EXO dorms and befriended most everyone but Jongin. And Jongin was trying, so so hard. But Sehun was too hard to get through. Within a year Sehun and Chanyeol had become best friends. And as much as Chanyeol admitted he still has a small crush on the stunning model, he told Sehun he wouldn’t chase him because he likes how their friendship is now. And Sehun was happy like that. Sehun had gone to all local EXO concerts, always getting free tickets from Chanyeol. And he was always backstage by the end to greet Chanyeol and the guys, giving them flowers and sweets while purposely ignoring Jongin. And the band noticed. They always did. 

As much as Chanyeol promised not to tell the guys anything, some of them started to pick signs up. And at some point, it was Baekhyun that said.

“Okay. We got to fix this somehow. This is starting to be sad.”

Yixing nodded thoughtfully and although amused, he had to comment. “But what? We don’t even know what’s the matter. Jongin seems to try to get close to Sehun but Sehun is so keen on ignoring him. I mean it’s almost sad to see. Jongin looks like a kicked puppy after every damn concert we have.”

“Chanyeol, do you know what happened between them?” Kris asked, looking at the slightly shorter man curiously. 

Chanyeol seemed uneasy as he spoke truthfully. “I do. But I was asked not to tell. It’s true though. And I wish we could have fixed it but I honestly don’t see any way. Sehun doesn’t want to forgive Jongin for his past mistakes and Jongin doesn’t know how to fix his mistakes either.”

“Well what were the mistakes!” Kyungsoo chipped in. “I hate seeing that kicked puppy look he gets every time we hang out with Sehun. He is just… making me sad.”

“I know! He’s ruining the mood here. And his dancing is always lacking lately. He’s just… depressing.” Yixing pitched in. 

“Okay. I got it. How about we trick them into a dinner date alone. Force them to sort things out.” Kyungsoo added quickly. “Let’s lock them in here accidentally and just make them talk.”

“There might be different outcomes. They either sort things out. Start hating us. Or Sehun will kill Jongin.” Kris hummed thoughtfully. 

“Well. I don’t mind any of the outcomes. Let’s just do something to have this moving because this is ing me up.” Kyungsoo groaned. 

“Satansoo indeed.” Everyone mused together.

And thus a plan was conceived. 

Within a week Sehun was invited to a meal at EXO’s dorms and Jongin was told they are having a special chicken night. They prepared the dorms in such a way that there will be no escape. And when Sehun arrived to the dorms with some cupcakes for dessert, it was Kyungsoo that stayed behind (all the other members were away before long so no one could have second doubts), who got out the door and locked it from the outside. “Okay Sehun. You sort this out with Jongin and when you’re done I’ll let you out. I love you man but this is driving us all mad. You guys should man up and fix this . Okay? Okay. Good. I’ll be back in 3 hours. If this isn’t fixed by then I will stab you both. And you know I can do that. So don’t test me. Hyung loves you guys. Bye~” He cooed before rushing off. Now it was all up to them. Or more importantly. Up to jongin. 

Sehun stared at the door in utter shock, his box from the bakery fell to the floor as he rushed to punch and kick at the door, alarming the only other person inside with him. 

Jongin stepped out of his room and looked at Sehun in confusion. “What’s going on?”

Sehun whipped his head back and gave Jongin a glare that made him shudder. “Like you don’t know! Your stupid friends locked us in here! Was this your idea?!”

“Woah woah. Wait a second. They’re your stupid friends too.” He then paused, his eyes rounding, opening wide in surprise. “Wait they did what?!” He rushed to the door beside Sehun and started knocking furiously on the door. Within seconds he rushed around the place in search for a pair of keys, all which were gone. Then he tried searching for his phone so he could call his manager to get them out but he found out his phone was missing too— and he doesn’t remember the number by heart. “! Kyungsoo must have planned this! That son of a thought of everything. He’s a ing evil genius I tell you! No way any one else would have been this thorough with wiping this place up.”

Sehun groaned and sat himself on the ground, back pressed against the door as he sighed. “I don’t want to be here with you. I wish you would have disappeared from my life. I wish you would have stayed gone.”

Jongin soon knelt in front of the other, sighing as he brought his hands to cup the other’s face. “Sehun, look at me.”

Sehun swatted the hand away with a scoff. “Let me go! Why… Why couldn’t you let me go back then too! Why did you play me like this?”

“I didn’t play you! I love you. I just… I made stupid mistakes. This was my dream, Sehun! And the company told me.. I was a newbie then. They told me if I bring a scandal by telling people I’m dating… and a man at that, that they will sue me and my family for the money they wasted on me and then they will force me out of the company because I’ll be more trouble than I’m worth. It’s either do what they say or they would have stripped my parents of all our money and throw me aside and ruin everything I worked for for years. Even my parents don’t know about this threat. I couldn’t risk this… after my parents tried so hard to help me make this dream come true.. I couldn’t spit in their face. I never meant to spit in yours either though! But Sehun… It was you, or my parents and career… and yes, I could have and should have handled it better but… I was still a teen, I was like 18 years old. I was still young and stupid and I still am! And I never meant for any of this to happen. I never meant to hurt you. Not when I still love you!”

He didn’t realize it until he calmed down, that his palms were getting wet, and that Sehun was crying. 

“You could have told me. You could have said something instead of letting me down like you did. Do you know? That day… the day I found out about your relationship with that stupid girl… so many bad things happened. And I just wanted to talk to the one person that would be there for me. While dad was drowning in his own misery and my step mom was all fussing over him. My actual mom either too busy or too far to be of help… I just wanted to be able to talk to the one person that cares for me, only to find out he doesn’t! He actually threw me to the trash, like he promised he never would do. And you didn’t even have the guts to tell me it. I had to find it out on my own and then get a pathetic text from you. Disgusting.”

“No! You don’t get it! I never meant it! I love you. Krystal wasn’t even my girlfriend, she was just means against the press. The company thought it’ll be safer to use someone they know… I was scared for you too! We just got out and we already had some crazy fans out there. Some even broke to our old dorms, a few times, took private things from us to sell on eBay. Do you understand how dangerous it would have been if people would have found out I am dating a non celebrity, and a man at that. And… my parents… my career… I couldn’t all over that like this. Please, you got to believe me. I never meant what happened. I still love you. I always loved you.” Jongin was seconds away from bursting into tears himself as he leaned closer to the limp body that slumped against the door now, pressing a shaky kiss onto his forehead. When he felt no objection from the other, he started peppering his kisses all over Sehun’s face, from his forehead to his nose, cheeks, eyelids, chin before closing their lips in a gentle, soft peck that he did not receive in return from Sehun, but that was okay. Because at least Sehun was not pushing him back.

“Sehun, you got to believe me. There hadn’t been a day that passed that I didn't feel like a total about what happened. That I didn’t wish I could go back and somehow fix it. But there was no way to be fixed. And just when I thought I was moving on… maybe even just a little bit, I had just one glance at you in that photoshoot and I was smitten all over again. But you… you didn’t even want to look at me. And I was just hoping that maybe you will, maybe you’ll come yelling at me and we will fight and I will try to explain and you will listen and then I’ll slam you against the wall and give you a kiss I so desperately wanted to give you and you will kiss me back and we will be happily ever after, just like I promised. But you just ignored me. You were calm, collected, just wanted to not see me again. You acted like I was invisible and my hopes for this happy ending just vanished. As much as my friends must be dumb, they are not really that dumb. They know… they see how much I suffer every time you’re around and you wouldn’t even give me the time of day. I just wanted to have you look at me, like you used to. At least as a friend, if I could never earn your love back. Sehun, you have no idea how much I love you. How much I regret every bad decision I did back then, and every day that followed that I was too much of a coward to call you or message you or talk to you like I should have back then. This is coming years too late, and I regret every single day I wasted on being a coward. But I love you, and I know I was wrong but I am asking for a second chance. Just one more. And if I mess this one up… I allow you to lock me in a room with Kyungsoo and torture devices and let him kill me.” 

Sehun choked a small chuckle at that. 

“So Sehun… what to you say? Please?”

Sehun’s arms slowly looped around Jongin’s neck, his face pressing against the crook of Jongin’s neck as he sighed and gave a small nod. “I hate you. But I hate myself even more. Because I also love you. And I shouldn’t, because I should have moved on. But I didn’t.”

Jongin broke into a relieved smile, hugging Sehun close to himself as he pressed kisses all over his head, nose nuzzling to soft locks of hair. “Thank you, for this second chance. I will not throw it to waste.”

__________________________________________________________________________

Sehun and Jongin were in their mid twenties when they celebrated their next Valentine’s Day, and Sehun warned Jongin that he is getting the guy nothing, for the rest of their lives, as a punishment for Jongin’s previous stupidity. Jongin was okay with that. And not because the band got far too many items from fans for Valentine’s, because Jongin still spent a fortune on getting Sehun presents all by himself. And Sehun smacked Jongin’s face with a pillow because he said he didn’t have a place at home to contain 20 huge teddy bears and that he is going to donate them all, except for one. One that was older than all the teddy bears Jongin got him, one that was the bear Jongin owed Sehun for years now. 

As Sehun walked to the group’s dorms with a teddy bear in hand, giving his boyfriend a peck on the cheek and earning playful gagging noises from a crew of 10 other boys, he grinned and pointed at them all. “You, s. We are going to dinner together, Jongin’s treat.”

Jongin seemed to choke on something as he stared at Sehun. “What?! Why! I thought this will be our day together!”

“Well… this is our first Valentine as a couple again… so yes, supposedly. But they are the reasons I’m even giving your sorry a chance. You owe them something, and you have yet to pay them back. So tonight, since it’s far too risky for us to go on a public date like you wanted anyway, I’m in favor of us all going together as a group to have fun. And maybe, just maybe, I’ll be nice enough to give you a reward for this later.” Sehun grinned, and the entire gang gagged again. 

It was Chanyeol that broke in first, wrapping an arm around Sehun’s shoulder with a grin. “Man, I can’t believe I helped Jongin get a guy I had a crush on. Jongin, expect me to order something super expensive.” 

Sehun smiled widely and pecked Chanyeol’s cheek only to have Jongin ripping the two apart before wrapping his arms possessively around Sehun’s waist. “Fine, fine. Don’t touch my Sehun. Come on guys, get ready. We will be leaving at 7. I got to make some calls and change my reservations to a bigger table.”

Jongin then leaned to Sehun’s ear to whisper. “I got us places in the most expensive place in Seoul, you’re really screwing me over here.”

Sehun smirked and tipped his head aside, whispering softly against Jongin’s lips as he pecked him. “Be a good boy, and I might just let you screw me over in return.”

That was all the motivation Jongin needed before he picked Sehun up and carried him around the room. “My Sehun.” He declared as Sehun broke into squeals. “Behold! The marvellous Sebooty is all mine.”

Laughs erupted in the dorms as Sehun tried getting down, Chanyeol started running after Jongin to help his friend, Jongin started running away with Sehun in his arms and Kyungsoo tripped Chanyeol just for the sake of it all while Joonmyun yelled at everyone to beware because they might end up breaking something. 

 

Jongin made Sehun happy again, and ever since the two became a couple there hasn’t been a day without the entire group laughing, smiling and everything just seemed right in their private, little world. 

The end.

 

 

 

A night spent at EXO’s dorms. Inside of Jongin’s room after he shooed his roommates away to spend some snuggle time with Sehun. 

“Jongin, why are you still not my dorky friend? I asked him back. I don’t like you like this. Too cocky.” Sehun whispered as he cuddled to the warmth of the blankets. 

“You don’t like me?” Jongin asked, quirking a brow. 

“Exactly. You’re a little poop.” Sehun slammed a pillow in Jongin’s face.

With a whine and a groan, he pushed the pillow off. “Poop? Really?”

“Yeah. I can see you ending our forever, betraying me again. Hmmm… so when does forever end for us?” 

Jongin took the pillow and slammed it over Sehun’s face in return. 

“Ouch! Yah! What the hell was that for!” Sehun hissed, shooting an angry glare at his boyfriend. 

“Shut up or I’m going to leave right now.” Jongin scoffed, frowning back at Sehun. 

“Nope~ Can’t do. You promised me. Only I can dump your sorry now~ I hold the power. You are bound to me. Kyungsoo told me he’s going to tattoo my name on that sorry of yours.” He cooed, grinning from ear to ear. Jongin in return started to get out of the bed in a slow threat. 

“Well, that’s what you think!” Jongin fought back and the two held each other’s gaze for a long moment in a silent battle before Sehun caved in. 

“Okay okay. Come back. I love you too much for this. And we were far too miserable for far too long for this story to happen again.” He grumbled as Jongin broke into a pleased smirk and slowly climbed back into bed. 

“Awh, was my Hunnie actually worried for a second there?” Jongin cooed as he pulled Sehun into his embrace. 

“Shut up.” Came a grumpy murmur from against his chest as Sehun shifted his gaze back up to the other. 

“Hey Sehun, will you ever start buying me gifts again? I mean I think I’m a good enough boyfriend, am I not? Am I not worthy of something cute from you?” Jongin hummed thoughtfully. 

“Nope. You’re a poop.” Sehun grinned happily at the other, while Jongin pouted down at him, trying to build up his guilt.

“No.” Sehun repeated as Jongin faked a sniffle. 

“I said no.” Sehun started frowning at Jongin as Jongin started pulling back slowly, threatening to leave the bed again. 

“Fine! I’ll get you something. Make you regret being such a anyway. One present. Every five years of you being a good boy.” Sehun groaned as Jongin pulled back again with a pleased smile. 

“Haha! I knew I’d get to you.” Jongin cooed.

“Idiot.” Sehun grumbled and slapped Jongin’s chest. 

 

5 years into the future, Jongin stared into the gift card given to him and then back at the man he loved more than anything as if that same man had completely lost his mind. “A coupon to get myself a free tattoo— of your name… on my ?”

Sehun grinned widely. “Gotta let all your fans know who that belongs too.”

“I… thank you.” Jongin paused for a moment before looking at the card and then back at Sehun again. “Sehuna? You don’t have to give me anymore gifts. Ever.”

Sehun pouted at he other, looking as though he was very hurt and as he huffed and his feet to stomp out of the room, suddenly a smirk formed on his lips. Victory was his. 

 

_____________________________________________________________

 

A.n; Hey! I hoped you all liked this! Comments and upvotes are loved and appreciated! Let me know what you guys think!