Chapter 4

Grump

This is so short and updated after like 50,000 years and it is still vague I'm sorry!

Wedding vows.

The two of them were technically already married; they already have a marriage certificate and their names already registered as "married" by the government, but for some reason Mr. Lee insisted they go through the hassle of having a short ceremony. Mingyu doesn't understand why he would go through this and not meeting each other's parents first. Marriage is confusing.

The hotel banquet hall looks good: brightly lit, with fresh yellow and white flowers as decorations. Mingyu thinks he himself looks great in the white suit and bowtie he's wearing. Mr. Lee is wearing a similar outfit, looking like he wants to be anywhere but where he was right now as the priest (Mingyu doubted he was an actual priest as he was reading out the vows to them, shouldn't priests already know this by heart? Then again, Mingyu had only been to a wedding once, and that was when he was five years old) was already telling them to put on the rings and the ceremony had started only ten minutes ago, if Mingyu's estimate was correct.

Mingyu is absolutely sure Mr. Lee would never, in his entire lifetime, kiss him, stifling a laugh when they've already put their rings on and the priest is telling them to kiss, but his teacher is pulling him down to his height by the lapels of his fancy white coat, on tiptoes as he pressed a kiss on Mingyu's cheek.

"Did you get that?" he hears Mr. Lee ask a nearby photographer (for some reason there were more than one of them, and Mingyu felt like a celebrity), after wiping off his mouth with the back of his hand like Mingyu was something poisonous.

Mingyu stands there stunned, being applauded by the small group of guests which consisted of the hotel staff and Mingyu's family. He could see his sister giggling at the corner of his eye. He would so get her for this once he had the chance.

Mr. Lee pulls him out of his daze by the sleeve, dragging him to the buffet table, and Mingyu feels like he's in his element again. As Mr. Lee seemed to want to cut the formalities into as short a time as possible, he'd combined the reception and wedding ceremony. Mingyu isn't complaining, but he's dead set on enjoying this part at least and piles his plate with all the meat dishes he can find, sitting with his family at the table.

"Why are you here? Go to your cute new husband!" his mother shoos him away and Mingyu feels abandoned. He gloomily trudges to where Mr. Lee was sitting with his own tall pile of food.

"The beef is really good," Mr. Lee says through a mouthful of the said beef. He slaps Mingyu's hand when Mingyu reaches out to get some. "Get your own!"

"Mr. Lee, why aren't your parents here?" Mingyu asks after a while. It was weird that the only guests were his family. Of course he couldn't invite his friends or other relatives, but where were Mr. Lee's parents?

Mr. Lee shrugs. "Busy," he mumbles before shoving a chunk of rice in his mouth.

It's a satisfying meal; Mingyu doesn't regret being married one bit after having eaten the food, until he and Mr. Lee had to have their pictures taken while cutting the small wedding cake they had, stiff and unnatural smiles getting even more awkward as they had to comply to the photographers' instructions to feed each other cake and be cute about it. The cake made up for the embarrassment though.

-

"Good work today," Mr. Lee tells Mingyu once it's only the two of them in the wedding suite. Mingyu's family had said their goodbyes and congratulated the two of them, his sister's greetings more poking fun than genuinely happy for her brother. "Man, that was a pain." Mr. Lee yawns as he plops down a comfy-looking chair, and Mingyu finds himself thinking his teacher was actually pretty cute.

Mingyu sits down on the other chair, digging his head back against the soft cushions. Who knew getting married was this exhausting? He didn't understand why people would do this to themselves on purpose. He closes his eyes, almost dozing off until he hears his new husband talking.

"Kim Mingyu."

He pries his eyes open to look at Mr. Lee. "Yes?"

Mr. Lee's staring at the smartphone he's holding, ears red. "Take… Take a selca with me."

Mingyu grins and sits on the armrest of Mr. Lee's chair. "I take great selcas, Mr. Lee! You picked the right person to take a selca with," he brags, taking the other's phone and flashing his selca smile at the camera. He looks good, as usual. Mr. Lee wasn't so bad-looking in the picture either.

Mr. Lee gives him a stiff smile of approval once he’s checked the selca. “Thank you.” He gets up from his chair, shrugging off his jacket. “I’ll go shower. You can have the bed. I made sure to get a room with a couch, so I’ll sleep there,” he says casually, pointing to the part of the room with the bed.

Oh, right. It hadn’t hit him when his family said their goodbyes to him and his new husband, but Mingyu was to spend the night with this guy Mr. Lee. And many other nights. The rest of his life if they didn’t get divorced.